• Washing instructions for cross stitched towels?

From karen.atwood@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 29 17:57:26 2020
    Hi! I was wondering how people care for cross stitched towels (or bibs, pillowcases, etc.). Can I machine wash, or should I hand wash? Is machine drying okay, or hang dry only?

Thanks for your help!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Joan Erickson@21:1/5 to karen....@gmail.com on Mon Sep 14 18:48:57 2020
    On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 7:57:27 PM UTC-5, karen....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi! I was wondering how people care for cross stitched towels (or bibs, pillowcases, etc.). Can I machine wash, or should I hand wash? Is machine drying okay, or hang dry only?

Thanks for your help!
    After a loooong hiatus from reading the group, I just ran across this post.

If the towels and the floss are all cotton, they should be fine to just toss in the wash machine & dryer. Or wash, then iron on the back side to make the stitching stand out a bit more. If you don't know the brand of the floss, you might want to wash
    them in cold water. An oooooold standby is to use Orvus, which is really a livestock soap, but is gentle and safe for stitching. I have a gallon jug (only way it comes) and have only used a small amount of it, so if you'd like to try some, I'd be happy
    to share. Just email me privately with Orvus in the subject line.

Good to be back on the group! I retired last year so haven't been on the 'puter much...DH (Dear Husband) is keeping me too busy with his honey-do list! LOL

Joan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Crafty@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 8 22:15:02 2023

For cross-stitched towels, bibs, pillowcases, etc., it's recommended to follow the care instructions that are specified by the manufacturer, as it may vary based on the specific material used.

If there are no specific instructions, here are some general guidelines:

Hand washing:

1. Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water and a gentle detergent.
    2. Soak the item for about 15 minutes.
    3. Gently agitate the item to remove any dirt or stain.
    4. Rinse the item thoroughly with clean water.
    5. Press out excess water (don't wring) and lay flat to air dry.

Machine washing:

1. Use a gentle cycle with lukewarm water.
    2. Use a gentle detergent.
    3. Avoid using fabric softeners, as they can damage the fibers of the cross-stitch.

Drying:

1. Avoid using a dryer, as the heat can shrink the fibers and cause the cross-stitch to become distorted.
    2. Hang dry or lay flat to air dry.
    3. In general, it's best to be gentle with cross-stitched items to ensure that the stitching stays intact and the item retains its shape.

--
    For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/needlework/washing-instructions-for-cross-stitched-towels-655901-.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05