• tempered glass question

From eugenio.garza@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Maxine on Sat Sep 2 07:09:30 2017
    On Friday, January 14, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Maxine wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if this is true...

I recently ordered custom glass shower doors. They are each approximately 7 by 2.5 feet. Clear glass. One side is stationary, basically a glass wall.
    It has a clamp holding it in place top and bottom. The other half is a
    hinged door, 2 large hinges hold it in place against the tile wall. Those hinges support the door in its entirety.

After it was installed, I noticed a definite bow in the glass door. When the door is shut in such a way that the top and bottom of the door is aligned with the glass wall, the centre of the door bows inward a quarter of an
    inch. It doesn't look very good and of course it leaks.

I called the company and they came to look at it. They said that when glass is tempered, it comes out of the machine with a slight bow. The wall part isn't as noticeable because it is clamped top and bottom, but the door can't be helped. They also said it would straighten up somewhat over time, but it will never be perfect. They said this standard and couldn't be helped.

True or not? This cost me $700 so I need to know I'm not getting ripped
    off.

Anybody knowledgeable about this?

Thanks in advance

Glass does bend while tempering. $700 dlls is a VERY good deal, I would´ve put 4 clamps on the fixed glass, two against the roof and floor, and another two towards the wall at 1/4 of the height from the top and bottom. Probably both the fixed glass and
    door are bent, and in opposite directions (1/4" is as bent as you can go in 7 ft of 3/8" glass, which I suppose you got). A SLIGHT solution would be to flip the fixed glass, so that the top is the bottom and viceversa (keeping the wall side towards the
    wall), and that could lessen the difference between the glasses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)