• Pressed-together crankshafts

From Cydrome Leader@21:1/5 to Jim Wilkins on Thu Sep 2 15:20:47 2021
    Jim Wilkins <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:
    "Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news:sbuvvn03d2@news1.newsguy.com...

On 7/2/2021 6:04 PM, David Billington wrote:
    http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Manuals_01_18/Interesting/The_realignment_afloat_of_a_ships_main_engine_crankshaft.pdf

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to
    jump in the deep end, so to speak.

I got a chuckle out his titles: "RJF Hudson PhD., BAppSc., DMS., CEng.,
    Extra First Class M.O.T FIMarEST., FIMechE., MCMI."

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen whatever broke.

https://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/CrankDesignEvol.shtml "Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart
    during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other
    computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts
    are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much
    lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I
    enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to presence@MUNGEpanix.com on Thu Sep 2 17:45:24 2021
    On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:20:47 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Manuals_01_18/Interesting/The_realignment_afloat_of_a_ships_main_engine_crankshaft.pdf

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the
    author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a
    design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen >> whatever broke.

https://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/CrankDesignEvol.shtml
    "Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be
    incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is >apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart
    during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other
    computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts
    are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine >maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much
    lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I >enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't >worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

The latest "american made" appliances are every bit as bad as the
    imported stuff and will MOST likely have a non-american name on it -
    like Bosch. Repairing them is just as hard since a lot of the parts
    still come from away.
    I tried to get a gear for a KitchenAid pedestal mixer a month or so
    back, and they said the wait could be 4 or 5 months. Thankfully a
    sib-assembly was available that contained the required part that I was
    able to locate - their parts department didn't have a CLUE that the
    assembly was available and that it contained the part I needed (and
    took about 20 minutes or more off the repair time). I guess that is
    why THAT part was still available - - -

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilkins@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 2 19:09:42 2021
    "Clare Snyder" wrote in message news:g3h2jg9ot26due53208v3ikco5oto3md4q@4ax.com...

still come from away.

---------------------

There's useful equipment in my shop from the 50's

The 1850's.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cydrome Leader@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Fri Oct 15 18:41:18 2021
    Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
    On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:20:47 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the >>> author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a
    design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen >>> whatever broke.

"Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be >>> incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is >>apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart >>during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other >>computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts >>are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine >>maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much >>lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I >>enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't >>worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

still come from away.

What's an example of a bosch badged appliance made by say whirlpool that
    has impossible to get parts?

back, and they said the wait could be 4 or 5 months. Thankfully a sib-assembly was available that contained the required part that I was

They had a parts department and you got the parts. Try that with a LG
    anything. It's not super uncommon for an entire assembly to be cheaper or
    more avialable than a single part in it. It's silly, but nothing too new.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to presence@MUNGEpanix.com on Sat Oct 16 01:25:01 2021
    On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:41:18 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:20:47 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
    <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news:sbuvvn03d2@news1.newsguy.com... >>>>

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the >>>> author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to

I got a chuckle out his titles: "RJF Hudson PhD., BAppSc., DMS., CEng., >>>> Extra First Class M.O.T FIMarEST., FIMechE., MCMI."

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a >>>> design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen
    whatever broke.

"Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be >>>> incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is >>>apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart >>>during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other >>>computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts >>>are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine >>>maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much >>>lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I >>>enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't >>>worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

still come from away.

What's an example of a bosch badged appliance made by say whirlpool that
    has impossible to get parts?

Not what I said. Check where your Bosch dishwasher is made -- it aint
    der fatherland!!!

They had a parts department and you got the parts. Try that with a LG >anything. It's not super uncommon for an entire assembly to be cheaper or >more avialable than a single part in it. It's silly, but nothing too new.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cydrome Leader@21:1/5 to Clare Snyder on Fri Nov 5 20:01:55 2021
    On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:41:18 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news:sbuvvn03d2@news1.newsguy.com... >>>>>

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the >>>>> author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to >>>>> jump in the deep end, so to speak.

I got a chuckle out his titles: "RJF Hudson PhD., BAppSc., DMS., CEng., >>>>> Extra First Class M.O.T FIMarEST., FIMechE., MCMI."

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a >>>>> design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen
    whatever broke.

https://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/CrankDesignEvol.shtml >>>>> "Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be >>>>> incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is >>>>apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart >>>>during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other >>>>computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts >>>>are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine >>>>maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much >>>>lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I >>>>enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't >>>>worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

still come from away.

What's an example of a bosch badged appliance made by say whirlpool that >>has impossible to get parts?

der fatherland!!!

Pakistan? China? I'd never make the mistake of buying a bosch appliance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Clare Snyder@21:1/5 to presence@MUNGEpanix.com on Fri Nov 5 21:15:16 2021
    On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 20:01:55 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:41:18 -0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message news:sbuvvn03d2@news1.newsguy.com... >>>>>>

Clever ... I wonder if this sort of repair had been used prior or if the >>>>>> author was the first. If first, I have to admire his willingness to >>>>>> jump in the deep end, so to speak.

I got a chuckle out his titles: "RJF Hudson PhD., BAppSc., DMS., CEng., >>>>>> Extra First Class M.O.T FIMarEST., FIMechE., MCMI."

------
    I suspect that every possible sort of failure had occurred soon after a >>>>>> design was introduced. Prior to WW2 engineering was cut-and-try, strengthen
    whatever broke.

https://www.enginehistory.org/members/articles/CrankDesignEvol.shtml >>>>>> "Eventually, in the late 1930s, experimental stress analysis began to be >>>>>> incorporated into the design process."

We've gone backwards these days with consumer products. The goal seems is >>>>>apparently weaken ever part until the product can just not fall apart >>>>>during shipping. If that doesn't do the trick, bad firmware or other >>>>>computer problems will do the trick.

I've been resurrecting a mid-late 1990s Amana washing machine. Most parts >>>>>are still available, and if you're sneaky you can use coin-op machine >>>>>maintenance kits which have most of the parts that can wear, at a much >>>>>lower price than the part numbers in the "correct" exploded diagram.

Imported trash from samsung and LG can't even be fixed under warranty. I >>>>>enjoy warning people to not buy imported appliances, and if they do, don't >>>>>worry about it, you'll get another chance in about 3 years.

still come from away.

What's an example of a bosch badged appliance made by say whirlpool that >>>has impossible to get parts?

der fatherland!!!

Pakistan? China? I'd never make the mistake of buying a bosch appliance.
    It's the only brand of dishwasher available in the USA that is BUILT
    IN THE USA. (at least that was true a year and ahalf ago)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05