• Has anyone dealt with a company called "Pen kit mall"?

From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 4 17:29:49 2018
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dave Leader@21:1/5 to remove splinters to use addy on Mon Nov 5 04:58:36 2018
    On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 8:29:49 PM UTC-5, remove splinters to use addy wrote:
    There are two companies using a similar name.

One is in China and is manufacturer and distributor of pen kits and other woodturning items. http://www.penkitsmall.com/ I buy from them in large lots because the shipping is very high. I use the kits myself and sell some on eBay.

The other is http://penkitmall.com/ I think I purchased Alligator Jawbone Blanks from the.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to dave.leader@gmail.com on Mon Nov 5 10:38:45 2018
    On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 04:58:36 -0800 (PST), Dave Leader
    <dave.leader@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 8:29:49 PM UTC-5, remove splinters to use addy wrote:
    There are two companies using a similar name.

One is in China and is manufacturer and distributor of pen kits and other woodturning items. http://www.penkitsmall.com/ I buy from them in large lots because the shipping is very high. I use the kits myself and sell some on eBay.

The other is http://penkitmall.com/ I think I purchased Alligator Jawbone Blanks from the.

Dave

This was Pen (not pens) Kit Mall, Dave... I bought 25 Spectraply
    blanks from then and they were junk... 11 pens out of 25 blanks

I have bought identical blanks from 2 other vendors and got 48 pens
    from 50 blanks...

When I explained the problem to them, their response was "We're sorry
    you had a problem"
    SO, 14 blanks wasted at $2 each and 28 brass tubes had to be replaced
    and the're "sorry"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Leader@21:1/5 to remove splinters to use addy on Tue Nov 6 06:10:07 2018

That is poor customer service and I understand how aggravated you must feel. They will suffer from new business by those who read your post. The minimum reaction should have been a note that they looked / turned some of their stock and reported their
    results to you. Quality control starts within not without the company.

As a comparison, the other pen kits mall (China) has the tightest layered blanks (like the Spectraply brand) I have ever turned. They are almost like a solid piece of wood. No gaps or splinters when turning at all. Some are so well made they can be
    used just with sanding and no finish. They have 22 different color combination blanks and cost about $3.00 each after shipping and other charges. I don't recall ever having a problem with one of their blanks. ymmv If you make that many pens from
    laminated blanks give them a try.

http://www.penkitsmall.com/index.php/Products/buy_online.html?keyname=colored+wood

Regards,

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to dave.leader@gmail.com on Tue Nov 6 08:13:16 2018
    On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 06:10:07 -0800 (PST), Dave Leader

That is poor customer service and I understand how aggravated you must feel. They will suffer from new business by those who read your post. The minimum reaction should have been a note that they looked / turned some of their stock and reported their

As a comparison, the other pen kits mall (China) has the tightest layered blanks (like the Spectraply brand) I have ever turned. They are almost like a solid piece of wood. No gaps or splinters when turning at all. Some are so well made they can be
    used just with sanding and no finish. They have 22 different color combination blanks and cost about $3.00 each after shipping and other charges. I don't recall ever having a problem with one of their blanks. ymmv If you make that many pens from

http://www.penkitsmall.com/index.php/Products/buy_online.html?keyname=colored+wood

Regards,

Dave
    Thanks Dave, I'll check them out... Since I started my Breast cancer
    awaeness pens, we've run 4 companies out of the hot pink blanks...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From graham@21:1/5 to Dave Leader on Tue Nov 6 13:09:56 2018
    On 2018-11-06 7:10 AM, Dave Leader wrote:

Regards,

Dave

It seems that you can't view their product line without registering.
    Graham

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From graham@21:1/5 to remove splinters to use addy on Tue Nov 6 14:06:21 2018
    On 2018-11-06 1:53 PM, remove splinters to use addy wrote:
    On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 13:09:56 -0700, graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

That is poor customer service and I understand how aggravated you must feel. They will suffer from new business by those who read your post. The minimum reaction should have been a note that they looked / turned some of their stock and reported
    their results to you. Quality control starts within not without the company. >>>
    As a comparison, the other pen kits mall (China) has the tightest layered blanks (like the Spectraply brand) I have ever turned. They are almost like a solid piece of wood. No gaps or splinters when turning at all. Some are so well made they can
    be used just with sanding and no finish. They have 22 different color combination blanks and cost about $3.00 each after shipping and other charges. I don't recall ever having a problem with one of their blanks. ymmv If you make that many pens from

Regards,

Dave

Graham

Exactly, Graham... I was about 1/2 through it and it got to address
    and phone number and I canceled...

I used their customer service form to ask if they stocked what I
    needed and what qualities they had...

It's a pity! I've been looking for some coloured/laminated blanks for
    some time to turn a bunch of key fobs for charity. Lee Valley used to
    stock them but no longer - possibly due to de-lamination complaints (I
    don't know).
    Graham

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to graham on Tue Nov 6 12:53:34 2018

That is poor customer service and I understand how aggravated you must feel. They will suffer from new business by those who read your post. The minimum reaction should have been a note that they looked / turned some of their stock and reported
    their results to you. Quality control starts within not without the company. >>

Regards,

Dave

Graham

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to dave.leader@gmail.com on Tue Nov 6 15:14:32 2018
    On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 06:10:07 -0800 (PST), Dave Leader

Regards,

Dave

I posted my problem on my facebook page, with a photo of the
    shattered, delaminated blanks and got a lot of response...

Strangely enough, the guy from Pen Kits Mall telling me that he
    "misunderstood" the problem and refunded our purchase (Thank you, Pay
    Pal)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to graham on Tue Nov 6 15:34:49 2018
    On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 14:06:21 -0700, graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

On 2018-11-06 1:53 PM, remove splinters to use addy wrote:

their results to you. Quality control starts within not without the company. >>>>
    As a comparison, the other pen kits mall (China) has the tightest layered blanks (like the Spectraply brand) I have ever turned. They are almost like a solid piece of wood. No gaps or splinters when turning at all. Some are so well made they can
    be used just with sanding and no finish. They have 22 different color combination blanks and cost about $3.00 each after shipping and other charges. I don't recall ever having a problem with one of their blanks. ymmv If you make that many pens from

Regards,

Dave

Graham

It's a pity! I've been looking for some coloured/laminated blanks for
    some time to turn a bunch of key fobs for charity. Lee Valley used to
    stock them but no longer - possibly due to de-lamination complaints (I
    don't know).
    Graham

Diamondwood was the good one.. sadly out of business now...
    Amazon has a few different offers on specrataply, a pretty good
    substitute

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 6 18:42:18 2018
    I went kind of viral with this and suddenly the owner is a really nice
    guy! Not only refunded the price of the blanks, ($50 usd) but asked
    what I was doing RE: charity

When I told him about the pink pens to fight cancer he is sending me a
    "care package" of pen kits as a donation....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Leader@21:1/5 to remove splinters to use addy on Wed Nov 7 04:57:51 2018
    On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 9:42:19 PM UTC-5, remove splinters to use addy wrote:

Not sure what you mean by 'viral'. However it is great that the owner made good on your purchase / problem.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Leader@21:1/5 to remove splinters to use addy on Wed Nov 7 05:10:02 2018
    On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 3:53:36 PM UTC-5, remove splinters to use addy wrote:
    On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 13:09:56 -0700, graham wrote:

their results to you. Quality control starts within not without the company.

Regards,

Dave

Graham

I order from them about every two months. They won't take phone calls speaking English, their English text is generally poor but getting better, they are responsive to my emails within 24 hours Mon - Fri. They can't explain why you must have an account
    to see the products. They charge YOU their PayPal fees (they don't care that most (all?) businesses do not. They charge 1% for shipping insurance. If you choose DHL for shipping (most expensive) it takes 7 - 10 days to get your shipment. Shipping is
    expensive, most of their products are not expensive. Shipping calculates by weight and size. It is not practical for you to return anything.

All that said, if anyone wants to get something from them and is willing to pay the second shipping (usually First Class or flat rate box) I will be willing to order for you. I live in Glendora NJ if someone wants to meet up to avoid second shipping
    charges.

As to the laminated blanks, I have a few different types and if anyone wants to try them I can sell / ship a few samples to you.

Regards,

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From remove splinters to use addy@21:1/5 to dave.leader@gmail.com on Wed Nov 7 07:30:15 2018
    On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 04:57:51 -0800 (PST), Dave Leader

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 9:42:19 PM UTC-5, remove splinters to use addy wrote:

Not sure what you mean by 'viral'. However it is great that the owner made good on your purchase / problem.

Dave

I put my complaint and a photo of some of the shattered blanks on 2 of
    my facebook pages and asked my friends to share it...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05