• Richard Ford Independence Day question

From jodyjsperling@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 10 07:12:19 2015
    I have a 1st Ed. missing "with" on line 21 pg 289. My copy also appears to have been bound with pages 377-392 missing. Have any other collectors come across this same misbinding? I've searched online to no avail.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jack Campin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 11 13:29:16 2015
    I have a 1st Ed. missing "with" on line 21 pg 289. My copy
    also appears to have been bound with pages 377-392 missing.
    Have any other collectors come across this same misbinding?

Are there people who collect misbindings?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nyres@21:1/5 to Jon Meyers on Sun Oct 11 06:13:54 2015
    On Tuesday, September 7, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Jon Meyers wrote:
    In my copy, the missing "with" occurs on line 21, not 24; it is
    missing between "what's wrong" and "him." This is the line cited by
    the listings I saw at ABE.

Jon Meyers
    rec.collecting.books FAQ, kept by Mike Berro: http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/rcb/

Gary Phillips wrote...
    I have seen several 1st editions of Richard Ford's Indepencence Day
    being offered with a statement regarding a missing word "with" on
    page
    289. In my copy, which has "First Printing" on the copyright page,
    on
    page 289, line 24, it reads

'thing, is not much different from what's indistinctly amiss with
    all'

The word "with" seems to be there, and in context. I've also
    checked my
    BE Trice limited, my ARC and my galley proof and found them all to
    be
    identical.

Could someone explain what these copies missing the word "with"
    really
    are? The TRUE 1st edition? Misprinted copies of the 1st?

Thanks!

I apologize for taking 16 years to answer your question but better late than never...
    I am unaware of whether there are two states for Independence Day or not, but let's just say that during the first printing of that book the printer noticed the missing word and stopped the press so he could fix it. Happens all the time. So he fixes the
    error and turns the presses back on until the planned for (making this number up) 100,000 copies of the first printing are complete.

All the copies that have the mistake are referred to as the "first state" of the first edition and, since they came first (and demonstrably so) they might be able to command a premium in relation to all the copies that were printed after the mistake was
    fixed. Those copies are, obviously, second state- but they're still first editions (by which, of course, we mean first printing).

that missing word or punctuation mark or misspelling is referred to as a "point". So one will see "first state with all called for points."

McBride has a book of points and any good descriptive bibliography will list them.

There are "false" points in abundance. If the printer doesn't notice the mistake and the entire first printing is uncorrected then there's no point. You can't have a "first" state copy of a book that doesn't have a second state and once the first
    printing is over then it's a matter of printings, not states.

people don't collect misbindings as mundane as pages missing but they do collect points, otherwise how can we be sure?

wow. I'm so pleased to have finally found a justification for learning all that. cheers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05