• Volvo 27 hp vs. Perkins 50 hp - Any comments?

From stephen.dubbin@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 3 17:52:51 2017
    Looking at a 200 Bruce Roberts Passage 341..27 hp Volvo.. Engine garbage?? What about the boat? Looks nice..??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From stephen.dubbin@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Kevin Cowie on Tue Jan 3 17:50:43 2017
    On Tuesday, October 22, 1996 at 2:00:00 PM UTC+7, Kevin Cowie wrote:
    I am considering buying a 38' Beneteau that is powered by a 27 hp Volvo engine (2003 CC), however, I know the 50 hp Perkins (236-4 I believe) was also an option with Beneteaus in this size range. Does anyone have any experience with the lower power engine? How does it do when climbing large seas (15' +) on the nose? Assuming it has enough power for that, can it
    also handle a high output alternator without then falling below the acceptable power curve? Do you have any other general comments about the Volvo?

I am also concerned with an apparent characteristic of Volvo engines to be VERY slow to start when they get the least bit chilly (i.e. many turns of
    the crank before they start to catch). This Beneteau seems to suffer from that, as well as a couple of other boats I have known. I have heard that there is an optional pre-heater available for it ... any knowledge about
    that or how effective it is?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 00:01:03 2017
    On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 17:50:43 -0800 (PST), stephen.dubbin@gmail.com
    wrote:

I am also concerned with an apparent characteristic of Volvo engines to be >> VERY slow to start when they get the least bit chilly (i.e. many turns of
    the crank before they start to catch). This Beneteau seems to suffer from >> that, as well as a couple of other boats I have known. I have heard that
    there is an optional pre-heater available for it ... any knowledge about
    that or how effective it is?

===

If you have access to an adequate source of 110 volt power you can use
    a heat gun or hair dryer to simulate the effect of a pre-heater. Just
    direct the heated flow into the air intake of the engine before and
    during cranking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05