• Liveaboard insurance

From mitchwitt815@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Phil Ackerman on Thu Feb 18 14:19:05 2016
    On Wednesday, May 28, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Phil Ackerman wrote:
    I'm in the process of purchasing a 39'sailboat for part-time liveaboard/cruiser in the Pacific Northwest. My insurance company is
    USAA. Does anyone have any experience with them for boat insurance, specifically for the size of boat I'm considering. How do their rates
    compare to the other companies. They have been tops for everything else.
    Any help from someone who may have shopped extensively for insurance
    would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Phil Ackerman

Hey Phil, Welcome to the world of cruising. My observations over the last 20 years are that big flashy color ads in magazines cost more and in turn the coverage costs more. The primary two things you want to consider are: Buy an Agreed Value Policy
    and understand the policy with regard to Depreciation vs Deductible. Most American underwriters hit you with both should you have a loss. Also, you might have a 2% deductible for general losses but a lightning claim or a loss involving electronics can
    be double the deductible so make sure you understand what you are buying. Try Blue Water Ins in Jupiter Fla. They might be able to fix you up with a policy that is free of depreciation for a small additional premium. Good luck, Mitch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)