• Yacht insurance

From mitchwitt815@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 18 14:14:10 2016
    On Friday, November 19, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, world_sailor wrote:
    I am purchasing a 1976 38' cruising liveaboard sailboat and I need to get some input about insurance Co.

Does anyone have info on Bluewaters, BoatUS, Ocean Underwriters, West Marine and there respective underwriters?

Any help is much appreciated.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, perhaps I can help ?
    I've been aboard my sloop since 1996. Been down island on two extended cruises - originally out of Annapolis. I found BlueWaterIns in 1996 through the Seven Seas Cruising Assoc website. I purchased
    insurance then and have used them (agents) writing me with several different underwriters through the years ever since. They speak "Cruiser" and can help you learn what you want and what you don't need.

Couple of suggestions regardless of who you buy insurance from:, You want an "Agreed Value Policy" only.
    And make sure you understand the details. Particularly Depreciation vs Deductible. Many if not most policies underwritten in the US will have both. If you go with an underwriter for instance in the UK you may
    be able to obtain coverage exclusive of any depreciation. That makes a big difference with losses on an older boat. You might be purchasing a 1976 vessel however, price out what it would cost to replace all the sailing instruments with new gear and that
    will give you and idea of the operational costs.

Had any training ? The annual Safety at Sea Seminar in Annapolis is a good start and some insurance companies will recognize this and might lower the premium a bit. Hope this helps. Any other questions, send to safeships2@yahoo.com.. happy to help.
    Cheers, Mitch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)