• Whatever Happened to Thomas Foulkes, Ltd?

From denys_jazzblues@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 17 09:02:42 2016
    An amazing trip down memory lane. I had no idea how popular Foulks was with the British provinces overseas. Like all of you commenting I spent many hours perusing the various boating stuff there whilst building my 25 ft sloop in a dock land shed in the
    east end of London.
    Amazing nostalgia but not enough customers with money enough to sustain the business.
    There is a moral here as multinationals consume everything in there path ( hitch hikers guide to the galaxy ) watch while all of our much loved small retailers at the corner or under the railway arches disappear.
    But where are the Foulks family now. Did they move on and open a marina .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From andreane.thomas@gmail.com@21:1/5 to denys_j...@hotmail.com on Tue Dec 5 14:16:33 2017
    On Monday, 17 October 2016 17:02:54 UTC+1, denys_j...@hotmail.com wrote:
    An amazing trip down memory lane. I had no idea how popular Foulks was with the British provinces overseas. Like all of you commenting I spent many hours perusing the various boating stuff there whilst building my 25 ft sloop in a dock land shed in the
    east end of London.
    Amazing nostalgia but not enough customers with money enough to sustain the business.
    There is a moral here as multinationals consume everything in there path ( hitch hikers guide to the galaxy ) watch while all of our much loved small retailers at the corner or under the railway arches disappear.

I'm looking for a particular catalogue which my husband produced for Thomas Ffoulkes Limited where it had special design with the "M" of Thomas, don't know the year but I'd like to get this catalogue for him as a surprise christmas present.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From endlesssummer58@gmail.com@21:1/5 to andrean...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 13 11:39:10 2017
    On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 2:16:36 PM UTC-8, andrean...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, 17 October 2016 17:02:54 UTC+1, denys_j...@hotmail.com wrote:
    An amazing trip down memory lane. I had no idea how popular Foulks was with the British provinces overseas. Like all of you commenting I spent many hours perusing the various boating stuff there whilst building my 25 ft sloop in a dock land shed in
    the east end of London.

I'm looking for a particular catalogue which my husband produced for Thomas Ffoulkes Limited where it had special design with the "M" of Thomas, don't know the year but I'd like to get this catalogue for him as a surprise christmas present.

i just found a May 1985 catalogue, in my old filing cabinet. i thought i'd check to see if they were still in business. sad to hear, great place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pcwdanvers@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 3 06:46:35 2020
    I worked there too as a Saturday job in the 1970's. Fascinating place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From moearrows@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Paul Mathews on Sat Jun 20 13:59:43 2020
    On Monday, October 13, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Paul Mathews wrote:
    Does anyone know the story of the demise of the
    famous London ship's chandler, Thomas Foulkes, Ltd?

Back in the early 80s, many of us took advantage of
    a high US$ and bought lots of gear from TFL, and I
    always wanted to see the place. However, I took a copy
    of the 1988 catalog along with me to London last week,
    and followed their directions out to Leytonstone to look
    them up. They have vanished without a trace, and the
    locals said that they'd gone bankrupt a few years back.

I'd appreciate hearing any further details. Thanks.

Paul Mathews, KD7ZI

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From carletonb2006@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 26 08:29:39 2020
    My grandmas first cousin was Thomas foulkes grandad the famous inventor of the following filing cabinet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike collins@21:1/5 to carlet...@gmail.com on Fri Apr 23 06:08:24 2021
    On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 4:29:40 PM UTC+1, carlet...@gmail.com wrote:
    My grandmas first cousin was Thomas foulkes grandad the famous inventor of the following filing cabinet.
    The demise of Thomas Foulke in Leytonstone was some time ago but his spirit still lives on . The chandlery Barge in Swanick hampshire still provides the real Aladins cave that was Thomas Foulkes, new and second hand gear and Items that are hard to find,
    and whats more it is still run by members of the Foulkes Family. my first boat was fitted out with parts from Leytonstone and my current boat relies heavily on spares from swanick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony Collins@21:1/5 to mike collins on Sat Nov 6 05:10:17 2021
    On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 14:08:25 UTC+1, mike collins wrote:
    The demise of Thomas Foulke in Leytonstone was some time ago but his spirit still lives on . The chandlery Barge in Swanick hampshire still provides the real Aladins cave that was Thomas Foulkes, new and second hand gear and Items that are hard to find,
    and whats more it is still run by members of the Foulkes Family. my first boat was fitted out with parts from Leytonstone and my current boat relies heavily on spares from swanick.
    I worked at Foulkes' from 1978-1983, I have great memories of the place and the staff. The highlight was the London Boat show at Earls Court, also did the Southampton show at Mayfair park a few times, however I did miss-out on my turn for the Miami show!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Danny Jennings@21:1/5 to Tony Collins on Thu Aug 10 03:18:35 2023
    On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 12:10:18 UTC, Tony Collins wrote:
    The demise of Thomas Foulke in Leytonstone was some time ago but his spirit still lives on . The chandlery Barge in Swanick hampshire still provides the real Aladins cave that was Thomas Foulkes, new and second hand gear and Items that are hard to
    find, and whats more it is still run by members of the Foulkes Family. my first boat was fitted out with parts from Leytonstone and my current boat relies heavily on spares from swanick.
    I worked at Foulkes' from 1978-1983, I have great memories of the place and the staff. The highlight was the London Boat show at Earls Court, also did the Southampton show at Mayfair park a few times, however I did miss-out on my turn for the Miami
    show!
    i worked at thomas foulkes in 1976-77 under the guidance of dave in the desptach departmen who taught me a lot about packing up orders for overeas customers, as well as inventory control, he was a good guy. The chap in the rope department knew more about
    rope than most of know about life, I think hed had cancer of the throat as he had a voice simulator ( as was in 1970's ) another nice guy, most peole there were good people. i go to know a lot about all the things they sold which was fascinating as a lot
    come with a story. There were rumours that young tom faulkes i think it was, he was th eboss anyway, had a bad gambling problem and people were worried about their jobs becuas eot it. I alwasy found him a very affable and posh sort of chap and was always
    amazed how a yatch chandlers arrived under a railway arch in leytonstone! I got promoted to the sales floor which i enjoyeed but left when soemone asked me the sweep the yard. I was 17 and not lazy but didnt feel that it was right, I certainly would do
    something like that to anyone, bring them up wth a promotion and then slap them down. Overall though it was a great place to work that i often think about.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Hook@21:1/5 to Danny Jennings on Tue Oct 17 14:05:08 2023
    On Thursday, 10 August 2023 at 11:18:37 UTC+1, Danny Jennings wrote:
    On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 12:10:18 UTC, Tony Collins wrote:
    The demise of Thomas Foulke in Leytonstone was some time ago but his spirit still lives on . The chandlery Barge in Swanick hampshire still provides the real Aladins cave that was Thomas Foulkes, new and second hand gear and Items that are hard to
    find, and whats more it is still run by members of the Foulkes Family. my first boat was fitted out with parts from Leytonstone and my current boat relies heavily on spares from swanick.
    I worked at Foulkes' from 1978-1983, I have great memories of the place and the staff. The highlight was the London Boat show at Earls Court, also did the Southampton show at Mayfair park a few times, however I did miss-out on my turn for the Miami
    show!
    i worked at thomas foulkes in 1976-77 under the guidance of dave in the desptach departmen who taught me a lot about packing up orders for overeas customers, as well as inventory control, he was a good guy. The chap in the rope department knew more
    about rope than most of know about life, I think hed had cancer of the throat as he had a voice simulator ( as was in 1970's ) another nice guy, most peole there were good people. i go to know a lot about all the things they sold which was fascinating as
    a lot come with a story. There were rumours that young tom faulkes i think it was, he was th eboss anyway, had a bad gambling problem and people were worried about their jobs becuas eot it. I alwasy found him a very affable and posh sort of chap and was
    always amazed how a yatch chandlers arrived under a railway arch in leytonstone! I got promoted to the sales floor which i enjoyeed but left when soemone asked me the sweep the yard. I was 17 and not lazy but didnt feel that it was right, I certainly
    would do something like that to anyone, bring them up wth a promotion and then slap them down. Overall though it was a great place to work that i often think about.

Hello all, going through some old"Yachting Monthly" and found a January 1985 "Discount" catalogue, so I thought I would look at their website!! No longer. R.I.P.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05