• Cape Dory 25 Outboard Help

From cblair002@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sber...@ibm.net on Wed Mar 6 08:57:32 2019
    On Saturday, January 9, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, sber...@ibm.net wrote:
    We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in the summer.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to make this easier?

What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this boat -- problems? Raves?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift it
    out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with long
    shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

What motor mount bracket for a 4 stroke will work on this boat?

Celeste

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to cblair002@gmail.com on Tue Mar 19 11:30:08 2019
    On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:57:32 -0800 (PST), cblair002@gmail.com wrote:

We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not >> wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its >> mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine >> up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest >> itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern >> so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically >> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in >> the summer.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that >> would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
    perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to >> make this easier?

What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this >> boat -- problems? Raves?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to >> the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift it
    out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with long
    shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

Celeste

===

I have one of these and it would probably work for you. I'd be
    willing to sell it if you're anywhere near south Florida and can pick
    it up.

<https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1825671|2348991&id=56208>

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From smead2124@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wayne.b on Wed Oct 30 12:52:36 2019
    On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:30:12 AM UTC-4, wayne.b wrote:

We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
    wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
    mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
    up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
    itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
    so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically >> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
    the summer.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that >> would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
    perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
    make this easier?

What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this >> boat -- problems? Raves?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
    the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift
    it out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with
    long shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

Celeste

===

it up.

---

The link to defender doesn't work anymore; however, I'm curious what it is as I have the same situation, CD25 Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro. However, my motor mount was modified from the original and I don't know what to refit it back to. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From shirleywillett1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wayne.b on Mon Jun 15 17:01:16 2020
    On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 10:30:12 AM UTC-5, wayne.b wrote:

We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
    wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
    mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
    up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
    itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
    so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically >> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
    the summer.

perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
    make this easier?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
    the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift
    it out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with
    long shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

Celeste

===

it up.

---

I also have this problem with the hull angle. I just got my motor reworked after it had sat for years in the well by the prior owner. I will not be putting my (now expensive) motor back in the motor well. I purchased an outboard motor mount to put on the
    back. Now to work out the angle problem. I am going to use wood layered for enough thickness to cut a 30 degree angle for mounting to my hull. A stainless plate on the inside of the hull for stability and to make it sturdy. I will be glassing the wood
    before mounting to the hull. The motor mount of choice can then be added to the wood. The 30 degree angle will give me a straight set up for the motor.
    If anyone has a better idea, please let me know soon before I do all this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From samtrachtenberg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 17 08:59:17 2020
    Do you still own the boat. I had a 81 Irwin sailboat and would look at it for you.
    Sam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Mumford@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 03:04:12 2021
    I have a CD 25 and a Tohatsu 6h ultra long shaft sail drive (4 stroke). Its a good motor for the boat, and it charges the batteries.

Fouling on the motor is a problem though. I launched my boat August 1 with a brand new Tohatsu. The motor ran flawlessly. By August 15 the motor was overheating, and stalling. Both the cooling water intake and the through-propeller exhaust were foul. It
    took two weeks!

The motor is too heavy to lift out of the water and stow in the cockpit on a regular basis. I also don't want to mount the motor on a stern bracket (ugly, hard to reach the controls).

I'm more inclined to cut a vertical slot in the transom to allow the motor to tip up. That would be ugly, but not as bad as having the motor on a bracket. This would also require removing the the mainsheet traveler, and cutting the thwartships beam that
    supports the traveler.

A new traveler could be installed 6" (approx) forward of the factory location on the cockpit seats. This might be the solution with the fewest drawbacks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05