• Joe Trumbly

From grace.a.shaw@gmail.com@21:1/5 to David Dustan on Wed Nov 22 15:36:44 2017
    On Thursday, July 17, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, David Dustan wrote:
    About 25 years ago I had a boatbuilding instructor at LH Bates Voc-Tech in Tacoma, WA by the name of Joe Trumbly. I saw his name today at "The Center For Wooden Boats" in Seattle...... Seems a boat designed and built by Joe is for sale but it made me wonder....... Does anyone have any information
    about my old teacher? How many boats does Mr. Trumbly have out there?? I know they must be excellent vessels...I was able to see this man at work! Thanks for any insight!

David

Hi David!

Joe was my grandfather. I do't know many details about his past, since he passed away when I was 12 or 13. However, I know a few general things I can pass along.

My grandpa did indeed build hydroplanes when he was younger. He taught at Bates for a while as well, and in his retirement he built wooden sailboats in our home on Raft Island. My mom always told me that he build the house so that he could build boats in
    the basement and slide them straight into the water! I guess Raft Island was the only place in the greater Tacoma area with deep-water mooring next to property!

There's a great e-book on Amazon by Matthew Dick called "The Trumbly Show," if you want to know more about his time at Bates.

As for the number of boats...I'm not sure! I know personally about his two sailboats, the Osage and the Winddance. I'm not sure what happened to the Osage, but I know a couple bought the Winddance maybe 5 or 10 years back. I remember they had it out of
    the water in Gig Harbor to repaint it at the time.

My grandpa was a great man, and I agree! I'm sure any boat of his is an excellent vessel!

Best,
    Grace

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kristopher.green@gmail.com@21:1/5 to grace....@gmail.com on Wed May 16 16:17:26 2018
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 3:36:45 PM UTC-8, grace....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, July 17, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, David Dustan wrote:
    About 25 years ago I had a boatbuilding instructor at LH Bates Voc-Tech in Tacoma, WA by the name of Joe Trumbly. I saw his name today at "The Center For Wooden Boats" in Seattle...... Seems a boat designed and built by Joe is
    for sale but it made me wonder....... Does anyone have any information about my old teacher? How many boats does Mr. Trumbly have out there?? I know they must be excellent vessels...I was able to see this man at work! Thanks for any insight!

David

Hi David!

Joe was my grandfather. I do't know many details about his past, since he passed away when I was 12 or 13. However, I know a few general things I can pass along.

My grandpa did indeed build hydroplanes when he was younger. He taught at Bates for a while as well, and in his retirement he built wooden sailboats in our home on Raft Island. My mom always told me that he build the house so that he could build boats
    in the basement and slide them straight into the water! I guess Raft Island was the only place in the greater Tacoma area with deep-water mooring next to property!

There's a great e-book on Amazon by Matthew Dick called "The Trumbly Show," if you want to know more about his time at Bates.

As for the number of boats...I'm not sure! I know personally about his two sailboats, the Osage and the Winddance. I'm not sure what happened to the Osage, but I know a couple bought the Winddance maybe 5 or 10 years back. I remember they had it out of
    the water in Gig Harbor to repaint it at the time.

My grandpa was a great man, and I agree! I'm sure any boat of his is an excellent vessel!

Best,
    Grace

Based on Grace's recommendation, I've begun Matthew Dick's book "The Trumbly Show"; it is excellent by any measure, and really fun to boot.

Kris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)