• Convert a Mono hull to a Tri?

From krgarwick@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Vose on Sat Jun 11 02:14:42 2016
    On Tuesday, January 30, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Scott Vose wrote:
    Has anyone thought about converting a Macgregor 25 sail boat to a Tri
    hull? I wonder if you could buy a old Hobie 16 or Hobie 18 and modify the Macgregor to attach the Hobie hulls to each side. Removable for trailering would be nice.
    Would this work? Would the performance improve to something like a F24?

The reason I am thinking of this is that I have a old (1972) Venture ( a Macgregor) in need of work. I think it might be fun to try out.

Scott Elde

You absolutely can build a trike as described. All the ratios being batted about by the armchairs is just hot air. The MacGregor 26 uses water ballast in the bilges for righting moment under sail but it motors with these tanks dry. With twin 60hp
    outboard motors, the boat will easily hydroplane and exceed speeds of 20 knots. So, skip the water ballast and the motors by adding an ama (outrigger hull) on each side.

Leave the daggerboard just the way it is. It extends over four feet into the water so you will get plenty of lift off of it while beating windward. Pull up the board for runs and reaching.

The actual design you will need is pretty important. Each ama probably needs to be over 100% of the boat's displacement for safety considerations. Digging in the lee ama in heavy wind is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But, the physics of keeping its
    nose out of the water ain't all that tough.

You're going to need really good aka design though. Maybe fasten horizontal tabernacles that allow you to pull out the akas for transport on a trailer or traditional monohull sailing? I would not want to bore through the freeboard unless absolutely
    necessary. Check out the Corsair designs for some ideas. Now, if you lose the lee ama under sail you're gonna have a story that you will NEVER forget.

Sure, it's not going to be as fast as a production trimaran - but it would be one hell of a lot of fun to sail. I'll bet you that the main hull will plane quite easily on a broad reach.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bruceinbangkok@nowhere.org@21:1/5 to krgarwick@gmail.com on Sat Jun 11 17:00:20 2016
    On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 02:14:42 -0700 (PDT), krgarwick@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, January 30, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Scott Vose wrote:
    hull? I wonder if you could buy a old Hobie 16 or Hobie 18 and modify the
    Macgregor to attach the Hobie hulls to each side. Removable for trailering >> would be nice.

The reason I am thinking of this is that I have a old (1972) Venture ( a
    Macgregor) in need of work. I think it might be fun to try out.

Scott Elde

You absolutely can build a trike as described. All the ratios being batted about by the armchairs is just hot air. The MacGregor 26 uses water ballast in the bilges for righting moment under sail but it motors with these tanks dry. With twin 60hp
    outboard motors, the boat will easily hydroplane and exceed speeds of 20 knots. So, skip the water ballast and the motors by adding an ama (outrigger hull) on each side.

Leave the daggerboard just the way it is. It extends over four feet into the water so you will get plenty of lift off of it while beating windward. Pull up the board for runs and reaching.

The actual design you will need is pretty important. Each ama probably needs to be over 100% of the boat's displacement for safety considerations. Digging in the lee ama in heavy wind is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But, the physics of keeping its
    nose out of the water ain't all that tough.

You're going to need really good aka design though. Maybe fasten horizontal tabernacles that allow you to pull out the akas for transport on a trailer or traditional monohull sailing? I would not want to bore through the freeboard unless absolutely
    necessary. Check out the Corsair designs for some ideas. Now, if you lose the lee ama under sail you're gonna have a story that you will NEVER forget.

Sure, it's not going to be as fast as a production trimaran - but it would be one hell of a lot of fun to sail. I'll bet you that the main hull will plane quite easily on a broad reach.

For what ever it is forth I saw a tri built by a guy that specializes
    in building Wharram Cats and like the Wharrams it was just tied
    together. http://wharram.com/site/gallery A modification of this
    scheme might work to hold the outboard hulls in place temporarily to
    see how the design will work.

--
    Cheers,

Bruce

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From swooponbent@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Vose on Mon Dec 12 05:19:20 2016
    Speed is for drug addicts I just want to get there and back in comfort. Boats have very little storage space for extras like I like to ride my Voleomobile. I like the ocean, my life has made me shy from people I have a head injury and need time out. I
    want to go diesel electric for the sake of the fishes and planet and my pocket. I want to bye a cheap yacht and add out riggers to hold gen in one, about 2 horse and batteries in other and make a hydroponic garden as fresh food is a yachting night mare, or sprouting cupboard.good on kirt.

Tuesday, 30 January 1996 19:00:00 UTC+11, Scott Vose wrote:
    hull? I wonder if you could buy a old Hobie 16 or Hobie 18 and modify the Macgregor to attach the Hobie hulls to each side. Removable for trailering would be nice.

The reason I am thinking of this is that I have a old (1972) Venture ( a Macgregor) in need of work. I think it might be fun to try out.

Scott Elde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From donschultz52@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 8 06:33:22 2018
    Phil Bolger designed a camp cruiser to use Hobie sail rig and hulls as amams. It is one of his simple plywood square boats. I know the design is complete and has a design number thus should be readily available from PB&F. I think it was featured in
    Messing Around in Boats, thus there is an essay about the design written by Bolger floating around somewhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05