• Robins - thirsty little boogers in the fall

From super70s@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 21 14:24:36 2020
    The past few days flocks of robins have been enjoying drinking from my birdbath, I've had to fill it up several times a day! They don't even
    bathe in it either and splash all the water out, they're just drinking. Sometimes a cedar waxwing or nothern flicker will be bold enough to join
    them if there's room, they don't seem to mind.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul Drahn@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 22 09:50:53 2020
    On 11/21/2020 12:24 PM, super70s wrote:
    The past few days flocks of robins have been enjoying drinking from my birdbath, I've had to fill it up several times a day! They don't even
    bathe in it either and splash all the water out, they're just drinking. Sometimes a cedar waxwing or nothern flicker will be bold enough to join
    them if there's room, they don't seem to mind.

We get them each Fall in Central Oregon. They are migrating from
    Alaska/Canada to warmer, snow-free areas. We love them because they eat
    the earth worms that destroy our lawn. We have had a bit of rain, so the
    worms are easy to get when they come up to poop. Later in the year, they
    eat juniper berries that have frozen and thawed and fermented. Makes for interesting performance when a drunk robin tries to fly!

Keep watch! One year we saw an almost albino robin for several days. One
    bunch moves on and another arrives.

Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From super70s@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 22 14:21:50 2020
    In article <rpe8du$ufh$1@dont-email.me>, Paul Drahn <pdrahn@jodeco.com>
    wrote:

On 11/21/2020 12:24 PM, super70s wrote:
    bathe in it either and splash all the water out, they're just drinking. Sometimes a cedar waxwing or nothern flicker will be bold enough to join them if there's room, they don't seem to mind.

We get them each Fall in Central Oregon. They are migrating from Alaska/Canada to warmer, snow-free areas. We love them because they eat
    the earth worms that destroy our lawn.

It's the moles that cause noticeable damage to my lawn, earth worms are indirectly responsible though because the moles feed on the worms.

We have had a bit of rain, so the worms are easy to get when they come
    up to poop. Later in the year, they eat juniper berries that have frozen and thawed and fermented. Makes for interesting performance when a drunk
    robin tries to fly!

I've read that fermented berries can be lethal to the robins.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05