• =?UTF-8?B?UkU6IFJlOiBWYXJpb3VzIEJ1aWxkcw==?=

From =?UTF-8?B?VG9tIEt1bmljaA==?=@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Sat Mar 9 19:58:48 2024
    On Sat Dec 30 11:34:26 2023 "funkma...@hotmail.com" wrote:
    On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 1:55:07 PM UTC-5, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 7:02:58 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 8:17:04 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 5:06:22 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Friday, December 29, 2023 at 2:06:19 PM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
    Zen Cycle <funkm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    On 12/29/2023 3:07 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

By the way, since 2012 I have had to be properly treated for my >> concussion, had to have the medication balanced and learn to ride all over again.

Since I got my Garmin just three years ago here is what I have done:

Personal Records
    Cycling 40 km 26:24 2022

My, that works out to about 56 MPH, that _is_ impressive tommy! Why
    haven't you entered the masters world championships? You'd take the gold
    for sure!

Total Ascent 4,826 ft 2019
    Max Avg Power (20 min)298 W 2019

And to think you managed to have the garmin generate this data without a
    power meter! BTW, If the 40K record of 26 minutes is correct, that would
    translate to a sustained power output of just under 4000 watts for that
    24 minutes (yes, 4000 watts). A 20 minute effort at 298 watts puts you
    at 22 MPH. Which are we to believe?
    Indeed my fastest 40k at least according to Garmin was at least a hr longer
    if not more admittedly Gravel ride though fairly fast stuff on way to
    Brighton for fish and chips!

Longest Ride 72.43 mi 2021
    Lifetime Totals
    Activities
    Activities 640
    Distance 15,850.50 mi
    Time 2080:40:35 hrs
    Calories 903,642
    Total Ascent 608,397 ft

If I was retired and lived in an area where it never snowed, I'm pretty
    sure I'd be blowing that out of the water.

Your talking about competence is pretty silly

Well, I'm not the one who can't find the right gear with a straight
    block, can't figure out how to keep carbon fiber bars tight, can't
    figure out how to get get a chain to not "drag at the extremes" and run
    quietly, "So Many Problems!" - Frank Krygowski

Brent Steelman made a great unicrown fork. IF you don't believe me, take
    it up with him.

Roger Merriman
    Do you suppose that Garmin is lying to you to make yiou feel slow? Remember Lou's claim that it was impossible to fall off a cliff on a bicycle and go 65 mph and as proof of that he showed a video of Tom Pidcock or someone descending a mild
    grade and still hitting 55?

Now I don't want to insult Lou, but someone that comes from a country that averages 2 meters below sea level should not be talking abput descending speeds.
    Pff, we have the Alpes and other mountain ranges I ride for 35 years. Tom you did not do 65 mph on a decpscent and your 40 km time is not 26 min and 24 sec. You probably left your Garmin on driving home in your car.

Lou
    Lou, you can believe anything you like. The max power came from a power meter and that is a level that would verify the 40 K speed. If it makes you feel better you may pretend that I don't have a Garmin at all. For all I care you can pretend that
    you actually go slower down 21% grades than you do on 7% grades like a large number of the roads in the Alps.
    If an intern at work comes to me with a result from a finite element program my first question is did you do a sanity check? . I would like to ask you the same question. Garmin records your best time over 40 km. You report that your best time is
    26 min and 24 sec. That is an average speed of almost 91 km/hr. Tell me what descent in the US is 40 km long AND you are able to average 91 km/hr. Again do a sanity check. Point me also to a climb in the US (show me the gradient profile). With gradients
    of 21% for miles on a row. We have even gradients of 22% in the Netherlands:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keutenberg

Short but if you don t have the right gear you walk.

Lou

Tom states unequivocally that the power number came from a power meter, and that number was a PR within the last three years.
    Tom has also stated unquivicoally that he doesn't use a power meter ever since he had the PowerPod several years ago (well over three years).

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/sC4za-RABRU/m/J-FSY1kFAwAJ

No, I did not state that came from a power meter. That should be clear because it doesn't state a power but a distance and time. It does not goive a date and at that time I rarely drove anywhere for a ride. But I did drive to Santa Rosa for a century and
    that average speed would pretty closely match driving the speed limit on the Freeway and going on city streets back home. I would have had to have left the Garmin on but since I did that once before I assume that I left it on AFTER the Tierra Bella which
    I think is running this weekend and which I just didn't have the fitness to do this year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?B?VG9tIEt1bmljaA==?=@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 9 20:22:09 2024
    On Sat Dec 30 10:55:05 2023 Lou Holtman wrote:

By the way, since 2012 I have had to be properly treated for my
    concussion, had to have the medication balanced and learn to ride all over again.

Personal Records

My, that works out to about 56 MPH, that _is_ impressive tommy! Why haven't you entered the masters world championships? You'd take the gold
    for sure!

if not more admittedly Gravel ride though fairly fast stuff on way to Brighton for fish and chips!

Lifetime Totals
    Activities
    Activities 640
    Distance 15,850.50 mi
    Calories 903,642
    Total Ascent 608,397 ft

Well, I'm not the one who can't find the right gear with a straight block, can't figure out how to keep carbon fiber bars tight, can't figure out how to get get a chain to not "drag at the extremes" and run

it up with him.

Roger Merriman
    Do you suppose that Garmin is lying to you to make yiou feel slow? Remember Lou's claim that it was impossible to fall off a cliff on a bicycle and go 65 mph and as proof of that he showed a video of Tom Pidcock or someone descending a mild grade
    and still hitting 55?

Now I don't want to insult Lou, but someone that comes from a country that averages 2 meters below sea level should not be talking abput descending speeds.
    Pff, we have the Alpes and other mountain ranges I ride for 35 years. Tom you did not do 65 mph on a decpscent and your 40 km time is not 26 min and 24 sec. You probably left your Garmin on driving home in your car.

Lou
    Lou, you can believe anything you like. The max power came from a power meter and that is a level that would verify the 40 K speed. If it makes you feel better you may pretend that I don't have a Garmin at all. For all I care you can pretend that you
    actually go slower down 21% grades than you do on 7% grades like a large number of the roads in the Alps.

If an intern at work comes to me with a result from a finite element program my first question is did you do a sanity check? . I would like to ask you the same question. Garmin records your best time over 40 km. You report that your best time is
    26 min and 24 sec. That is an average speed of almost 91 km/hr. Tell me what descent in the US is 40 km long AND you are able to average 91 km/hr. Again do a sanity check. Point me also to a climb in the US (show me the gradient profile). With gradients

Lou

I agree with you and since that was in 2022 I must have left the Garmin on when either returning from a century or left it on when driving back with the bike on top of my friends car that has roof mounts. We rode the Wine Country Century course the week
    after so that we could take advantage of the metric century markings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?VG9tIEt1bmljaA==?=@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 9 20:30:36 2024
    On Sat Dec 30 10:55:05 2023 Lou Holtman wrote:

By the way, since 2012 I have had to be properly treated for my
    concussion, had to have the medication balanced and learn to ride all over again.

Personal Records

My, that works out to about 56 MPH, that _is_ impressive tommy! Why haven't you entered the masters world championships? You'd take the gold
    for sure!

if not more admittedly Gravel ride though fairly fast stuff on way to Brighton for fish and chips!

Lifetime Totals
    Activities
    Activities 640
    Distance 15,850.50 mi
    Calories 903,642
    Total Ascent 608,397 ft

Well, I'm not the one who can't find the right gear with a straight block, can't figure out how to keep carbon fiber bars tight, can't figure out how to get get a chain to not "drag at the extremes" and run

it up with him.

Roger Merriman
    Do you suppose that Garmin is lying to you to make yiou feel slow? Remember Lou's claim that it was impossible to fall off a cliff on a bicycle and go 65 mph and as proof of that he showed a video of Tom Pidcock or someone descending a mild grade
    and still hitting 55?

Lou
    Lou, you can believe anything you like. The max power came from a power meter and that is a level that would verify the 40 K speed. If it makes you feel better you may pretend that I don't have a Garmin at all. For all I care you can pretend that you
    actually go slower down 21% grades than you do on 7% grades like a large number of the roads in the Alps.

Lou

For some reason this program doesn't post correctly some of the time.

But I will say that I agree with you Lou. I can only imagine that returning after a century I left the Garmin on. Or perhaps I was still using one of the POS Garmin 705's that was easy to trick if you set it up wrong.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05