• Polish bicycle firm doing well

From AMuzi@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 7 12:06:46 2024
    https://cyclingindustry.news/polish-bicycle-manufacturer-romet-forecasts-60-revenue-growth/
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Feb 7 14:38:41 2024
    On 2/7/2024 2:02 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 10:06:49 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    https://cyclingindustry.news/polish-bicycle-manufacturer-romet-forecasts-60-revenue-growth/

Although I was doubtful about their popularity, it is getting more and more clear that people are using them as a car that they can afford. As of yet the batteries have not gotten old enough to start becoming a problem and I expect at that point and
    quite suddenly they will either stop being sold or be legislated out of existence. There is always the small possibility that Toyota will be able to supply solid state batteries to those who want them. But I find that unlikely. It won't be long before
    the electrical grid is so overloaded that charging won't be possible And a grid even the size we presently have requires expensive and continuous maintenance. Heavy dust build up on the insulators which are then wetted down with rain shorts lines out.
    This is a problem especially with high voltage long distance lines.

Well, there was this from NYFD last month:

https://www.mensjournal.com/pursuits/cycling/lithium-ion-batteries-are-a-leading-cause-of-fire-deaths-in-nyc

Although 'fire deaths' are a small subset of 'deaths'.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sms@21:1/5 to John B. on Wed Feb 7 16:10:57 2024
    On 2/7/2024 2:43 PM, John B. wrote:

<snip>

I can't find all the numbers yet but the 17 deaths apparently caused
    by battery fires, which are about only 0.9% of all fires, the battery
    fires may be the single greatest cause of "death by fire" in the city.

NYC now does not allow the sale of non-UL 2849 certified eBikes,
    following deaths by battery fires (but this doesn't stop people from
    buying junky eBikes online).

Also, many apartment buildings in NYC no longer allow eBikes in the
    building. That should greatly reduce the number of eBike battery fires
    and deaths.

The grid is perfectly capable of supplying sufficient electricity for
    eBikes. For electric cars, what is happening, at least in California, is
    that most electric car buyers also are putting in solar panels and a
    storage battery.

It used to make no sense to have a storage battery at your house, but
    changes the the way electric utilities reimburse homeowners for KWH put
    back on the grid has made batteries an economic necessity.

And no, dust on the insulators of power lines is not an issue except for
    HVDC lines which you're not going to have in your back yard. The power companies do periodically clean the insulators of HVDC lines that are
    not in areas with sufficient rain to wash off dust, bird droppings, etc.

--
    “If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
    really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not
    indoctrination nor elitism. It's just that you don't know as much as
    they do about the subject.”—Tin Foil Awards

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Andre Jute on Wed Feb 7 19:38:49 2024
    On 2/7/2024 7:31 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 8:54:27 PM UTC, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 12:38:44 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 10:06:49 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Although I was doubtful about their popularity, it is getting more and more clear that people are using them as a car that they can afford. As of yet the batteries have not gotten old enough to start becoming a problem and I expect at that point and
    quite suddenly they will either stop being sold or be legislated out of existence. There is always the small possibility that Toyota will be able to supply solid state batteries to those who want them. But I find that unlikely. It won't be long before
    the electrical grid is so overloaded that charging won't be possible And a grid even the size we presently have requires expensive and continuous maintenance. Heavy dust build up on the insulators which are then wetted down with rain shorts lines out.
    This is a problem especially with high voltage long distance lines.

https://www.mensjournal.com/pursuits/cycling/lithium-ion-batteries-are-a-leading-cause-of-fire-deaths-in-nyc

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    But people are so afraid of fire that they are complaining about a 1.5 degree natural climate change when the daily temperatures could very well have a 100 degree swing. Liebermann cries that ICE cars have fires more often than electric cars when fire
    authorities tell us that almost ALL of the ICE fires are only in the electrical system and have nothing to do with gasoline.

Back in the day when Jaguar were still proudly British, before Ford bought them out and instituted quality control to make them useful as well, my New York technical attorney called me from Los Angeles in a high state of excitement. "I've just crossed
    the entire USA without a single electrical fire in my Jaguar!" he shouted. I said, "Now make it back to New York without a single electrical fire, and you'll be a legend in your own lunch hour." Then he went totally missing for six or seven weeks... When
    eventually he surfaced in New York again, sans Jaguar, he staunchly refused to talk about it.

One of the cars we kept longest (13 years, 39,000 miles) was a boringly reliable Volvo Estate from the tank bumper era, spacious and comfortable and fast enough for a family man on his way to France for the winter, even more reliable if less boring and
    faster when I slung the limp committee-designed V6 and fitted a Chevrolet 350 I'd breathed on. It's only weak spot was the fusebox, a smart thing in the passenger footwell for a reason: it was sourced from Lucas, Prince of Darkness, and no matter how
    yummy it looked to the innocent and the ignorant, it's malevolence was such that every time I rebuilt it, it found a new way to go wrong.

It's probably no longer woke to say so, but the fans of small British sports cars, may they be blessed for their Perseverance in the Faith, know all about Lucas, Prince of Darkness*. It's why, in my yoof, before the 911, I drove pitifully underpowered
    Porsche 356 -- they started on the button, every time, even if my tow car, a Jaguar MkII outpaced them without ever breaking sweat.

Andre Jute

Days of gore and roses.

*And those of us who drove their big brothers, the Healey 3000s and the XKs, of necessity developed elephant-skin backsides on those cart suspensions with just about zero vertical axle movement, and still suffered the electrical gremlins.

Owning a classic British sports car is compared to sleeping
    with a crazy woman. When it's good, it's very good.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Feb 8 03:12:07 2024
    On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:38:49 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Owning a classic British sports car is compared to sleeping
    with a crazy woman. When it's good, it's very good.

+1

Been there, done that, both.

I remember a terrible afternoon trying to pry a leaky freeze plug out
    of the back of the Spitfire's engine where it was a only few inches
    from the firewall. I remember finally cutting a section out of it's
    floor board so I could, once again, replace the seals on the hydraulic
    clutch.

I loved that old car... Crazy women, I'd rather not talk about them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Ryder@21:1/5 to fiultra1@yahoo.com on Thu Feb 8 03:06:25 2024
    On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:31:52 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
    <fiultra1@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 8:54:27?PM UTC, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 12:38:44?PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 7, 2024 at 10:06:49?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Although I was doubtful about their popularity, it is getting more and more clear that people are using them as a car that they can afford. As of yet the batteries have not gotten old enough to start becoming a problem and I expect at that point
    and quite suddenly they will either stop being sold or be legislated out of existence. There is always the small possibility that Toyota will be able to supply solid state batteries to those who want them. But I find that unlikely. It won't be long
    before the electrical grid is so overloaded that charging won't be possible And a grid even the size we presently have requires expensive and continuous maintenance. Heavy dust build up on the insulators which are then wetted down with rain shorts lines
    out. This is a problem especially with high voltage long distance lines.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    But people are so afraid of fire that they are complaining about a 1.5 degree natural climate change when the daily temperatures could very well have a 100 degree swing. Liebermann cries that ICE cars have fires more often than electric cars when fire
    authorities tell us that almost ALL of the ICE fires are only in the electrical system and have nothing to do with gasoline.

Back in the day when Jaguar were still proudly British, before Ford bought them out and instituted quality control to make them useful as well, my New York technical attorney called me from Los Angeles in a high state of excitement. "I've just crossed
    the entire USA without a single electrical fire in my Jaguar!" he shouted. I said, "Now make it back to New York without a single electrical fire, and you'll be a legend in your own lunch hour." Then he went totally missing for six or seven weeks... When
    eventually he surfaced in New York again, sans Jaguar, he staunchly refused to talk about it.

One of the cars we kept longest (13 years, 39,000 miles) was a boringly reliable Volvo Estate from the tank bumper era, spacious and comfortable and fast enough for a family man on his way to France for the winter, even more reliable if less boring and
    faster when I slung the limp committee-designed V6 and fitted a Chevrolet 350 I'd breathed on. It's only weak spot was the fusebox, a smart thing in the passenger footwell for a reason: it was sourced from Lucas, Prince of Darkness, and no matter how
    yummy it looked to the innocent and the ignorant, it's malevolence was such that every time I rebuilt it, it found a new way to go wrong.

It's probably no longer woke to say so, but the fans of small British sports cars, may they be blessed for their Perseverance in the Faith, know all about Lucas, Prince of Darkness*. It's why, in my yoof, before the 911, I drove pitifully underpowered
    Porsche 356 -- they started on the button, every time, even if my tow car, a Jaguar MkII outpaced them without ever breaking sweat.

Andre Jute

Days of gore and roses.

*And those of us who drove their big brothers, the Healey 3000s and the XKs, of necessity developed elephant-skin backsides on those cart suspensions with just about zero vertical axle movement, and still suffered the electrical gremlins.

One day as I was buying a new xener diode for my Triumph motorcyle, I
    don't remember which one of the three I had at various times, the
    sales person asked "know why the British drink warm beer?"

Answer: Lucas Electrics.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to sms on Thu Feb 8 11:04:02 2024
    sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
    On 2/7/2024 2:43 PM, John B. wrote:

<snip>

I can't find all the numbers yet but the 17 deaths apparently caused
    by battery fires, which are about only 0.9% of all fires, the battery
    fires may be the single greatest cause of "death by fire" in the city.

NYC now does not allow the sale of non-UL 2849 certified eBikes,
    following deaths by battery fires (but this doesn't stop people from
    buying junky eBikes online).

It’s not this but cheap EV scooters and so on that aren’t regulated so aren’t allowed on public transport or public buildings as well they are shoddy stuff that is a fire hazard!

Quite frankly they need to be legal and regulated.

Also, many apartment buildings in NYC no longer allow eBikes in the
    building. That should greatly reduce the number of eBike battery fires
    and deaths.

The grid is perfectly capable of supplying sufficient electricity for
    eBikes. For electric cars, what is happening, at least in California, is
    that most electric car buyers also are putting in solar panels and a
    storage battery.

It used to make no sense to have a storage battery at your house, but
    changes the the way electric utilities reimburse homeowners for KWH put
    back on the grid has made batteries an economic necessity.

And no, dust on the insulators of power lines is not an issue except for
    HVDC lines which you're not going to have in your back yard. The power companies do periodically clean the insulators of HVDC lines that are
    not in areas with sufficient rain to wash off dust, bird droppings, etc.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05