• Re: Shimano Mistakes?

From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Dec 2 15:11:26 2023
    On 12/2/2023 2:15 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.

So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the
    7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.

I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that the
    customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the
    telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.

And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private sellers
    for more reasonable prices still happen along.

Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a couple
    of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.

Shimano FD cages are not stainless.

That said, others have noted plating issues: https://products.roadbikereview.com/product/drivetrain/front-derailleur/shimano/dura-ace-fd-7800.html
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sat Dec 2 16:07:43 2023
    On 12/2/2023 3:32 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
    The Shimano chrome parts which were largely front derailleurs were made of stainless. stainless does not chrome plate easily and the normal trick is to copper or brass plate them before chrome plating them to get the chrome to stick.

So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps the
    7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.

I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that
    the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the
    telephone technician said that it was very clear that I offered the reduced price for just the frameset. So when Ebay took the customers side that was simply too much.

And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private
    sellers for more reasonable prices still happen along.

Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a
    couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.

All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.

Lou

Oh, sorry you are right. I meant Mr Kunich's FD-7800 not
    'all Shimano FD'.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Dec 2 16:13:10 2023
    On 12/2/2023 3:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:32:24 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps
    the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.

I have bought a couple of 7800's in perfect shape (as far as the chrome is concerned) as a final purchase from Ebay. Due to their policies of "The customer is always right" I will no longer be purchasing things through them. They HAD the proof that
    the customer asked for just the frameset and I lowered the price but when the customer complained that he expected the entire bike for the price of just the frameset that was simply too much. I had contacted Ebay via telephone and talked to them and the

And what's more, if I had bought the levers and front derailleur off of Craigslist I would have saved money even though the local Craigslist is now heavily used by commercial bike shops with prices completely out of sight. If you watch, private

Why would you buy a "new" Campy 12 speed manual group for $2250 when a private party is selling one for $750 with only one hundred miles on it? Of course it is Chorus rather than Record but I haven't been able to tell the difference except for a
    couple of ounces difference in weight. Super Record is detectably lighter but meager ounces hardly is going to make or brake a build.

All of them? I’m pretty sure my FD9070 is stainless steel, it is not chrome plated like my GRX FD.

Lou
    Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.

'Looks good' to you, which is fine.

The various stainlesses can show a multitude of finishes,
    for example:

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

(which does not shift, BTW)

Stainless surgical tools are usually polished as shiny and
    smooth as anything chromed.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Rider@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sat Dec 2 17:20:08 2023
    On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 16:13:10 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On 12/2/2023 3:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 1:32:24?PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 10:11:31?PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

So if you look at the 7800 front derailleurs on Ebay, they have chrome peeling off of them and they are asking ridiculous prices. The 7900 series on the other hand doesn't seem to have these problems so I wonder if they corrected this. Or perhaps
    the 7900's are still too new for this peeling to have begun.

Lou
    Never let it be said that Shimano doesn't learn from their mistakes. Polished stainless looks good but you can tell the difference between stainless and chrome at a glance.

'Looks good' to you, which is fine.

The various stainlesses can show a multitude of finishes,
    for example:

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

(which does not shift, BTW)

Stainless surgical tools are usually polished as shiny and
    smooth as anything chromed.

My Catrike mirrors are polished stainles Steel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Sat Dec 2 21:19:55 2023
    On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:53:38 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
    <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, but it would NOT corrode and peel the Chrome off in plainly visible layers https://www.ebay.com/itm/325414974693

Wrong (as usual). The Dura-Ace 7800 front deraaileur cage is nickel
    plated: <https://www.landiscyclery.com/product/shimano-dura-ace-clamp-on-front-derailleur-31001.htm>
    "Plus, the lightweight, replaceable aluminum cage is nickel plated for durability."
    More links that say basically the same thing: <https://www.google.com/search?q=shimano+dura+ace+7800+front+derailleur+nickel+plating>

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05