• Serotta Fierta

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 29 10:53:10 2023
    I took the Serotta into the sand blaster today and dug the Pinarello aluminum fork out of the storage area. So the plan is to pick it up tomorrow or Friday and then to prime and paint it blue. The headset is on its way and most of the Dura Ace group are
    here including the wheels with the 11-36 cassette, the XTR long arm derailleur to shift that cassette, the 6800 levers that I mounted on the bars yesterday, the Dura Ace brakes, the FSA Team Issue crankset and the saddle and seatpost.

Andrew said that the Shimano shift cables had a larger end on them than the Campagnolo but I looked pretty closely and they sure look the same size to me. Of course looking and fitting are two different things but I'm pretty certain that the cheap
    Chinese shift cables will work without any troubles. More than half of the 50 of them I bought do not have any mold marks on them and are perfectly round but I will experiment.

Without Campy selling 12 speed reels I think I will return to Shimano. the 10 speed group can be extended to wide ratios with the Deore rear derailleurs and you can get away very cheap. Plus you don't spend half of your time shifting over gears that a
    normal rider never uses. Come on now, who uses an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17? That is 7 gears so closely spaced that you need to shift 3 gears to tell you've shifted at all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 29 12:03:51 2023
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 7:53:13 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    I took the Serotta into the sand blaster today and dug the Pinarello aluminum fork out of the storage area. So the plan is to pick it up tomorrow or Friday and then to prime and paint it blue. The headset is on its way and most of the Dura Ace group
    are here including the wheels with the 11-36 cassette, the XTR long arm derailleur to shift that cassette, the 6800 levers that I mounted on the bars yesterday, the Dura Ace brakes, the FSA Team Issue crankset and the saddle and seatpost.

Andrew said that the Shimano shift cables had a larger end on them than the Campagnolo but I looked pretty closely and they sure look the same size to me. Of course looking and fitting are two different things but I'm pretty certain that the cheap
    Chinese shift cables will work without any troubles. More than half of the 50 of them I bought do not have any mold marks on them and are perfectly round but I will experiment.

Without Campy selling 12 speed reels I think I will return to Shimano. the 10 speed group can be extended to wide ratios with the Deore rear derailleurs and you can get away very cheap. Plus you don't spend half of your time shifting over gears that a
    normal rider never uses. Come on now, who uses an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17? That is 7 gears so closely spaced that you need to shift 3 gears to tell you've shifted at all.

You can keep the 11 and 12 but the rest yes please. Today I was on my cross bike on the road because it was already dirty from last Sunday and it was wet snow conditions at 2 C. I have a 11 speed 11-32 cassette on that bike because I need the range off
    road but on the road today I could exactly tell when there was a 2 tooth jump when I shifted.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sir Ridesalot@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Wed Nov 29 15:40:25 2023
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 2:03:54 p.m. UTC-6, Lou Holtman wrote:
    I took the Serotta into the sand blaster today and dug the Pinarello aluminum fork out of the storage area. So the plan is to pick it up tomorrow or Friday and then to prime and paint it blue. The headset is on its way and most of the Dura Ace group
    are here including the wheels with the 11-36 cassette, the XTR long arm derailleur to shift that cassette, the 6800 levers that I mounted on the bars yesterday, the Dura Ace brakes, the FSA Team Issue crankset and the saddle and seatpost.

Without Campy selling 12 speed reels I think I will return to Shimano. the 10 speed group can be extended to wide ratios with the Deore rear derailleurs and you can get away very cheap. Plus you don't spend half of your time shifting over gears that
    a normal rider never uses. Come on now, who uses an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17? That is 7 gears so closely spaced that you need to shift 3 gears to tell you've shifted at all.
    You can keep the 11 and 12 but the rest yes please. Today I was on my cross bike on the road because it was already dirty from last Sunday and it was wet snow conditions at 2 C. I have a 11 speed 11-32 cassette on that bike because I need the range off
    road but on the road today I could exactly tell when there was a 2 tooth jump when I shifted.

Lou

I have an unusual custom 9-speed corncob cassette on one of my MTBs. Thar corncob is 11 - 19 coupled with a triple crankset. I love that cassette on gently rolling hills with pave surfaces. I can tell the difference whenever I shift one gear in the back.
    It allows me to keep my cadence at the most effective for ME>

OMMV

Cheers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Wed Nov 29 15:20:10 2023
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 12:03:54 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

Without Campy selling 12 speed reels I think I will return to Shimano. the 10 speed group can be extended to wide ratios with the Deore rear derailleurs and you can get away very cheap. Plus you don't spend half of your time shifting over gears that
    a normal rider never uses. Come on now, who uses an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17? That is 7 gears so closely spaced that you need to shift 3 gears to tell you've shifted at all.

Lou
    I think that telling a 2 tooth jump is missing the point - it ADDS no speed to have 4 or 5 years that are one tooth apart. Being able to tell a 2 tooth jump doesn't mean that it slows you down. A 13 to 15 change is no more than the NORMAL power levels of
    your legs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 29 22:33:28 2023
    On Thursday, November 30, 2023 at 12:20:13 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 12:03:54 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    I took the Serotta into the sand blaster today and dug the Pinarello aluminum fork out of the storage area. So the plan is to pick it up tomorrow or Friday and then to prime and paint it blue. The headset is on its way and most of the Dura Ace
    group are here including the wheels with the 11-36 cassette, the XTR long arm derailleur to shift that cassette, the 6800 levers that I mounted on the bars yesterday, the Dura Ace brakes, the FSA Team Issue crankset and the saddle and seatpost.

Without Campy selling 12 speed reels I think I will return to Shimano. the 10 speed group can be extended to wide ratios with the Deore rear derailleurs and you can get away very cheap. Plus you don't spend half of your time shifting over gears
    that a normal rider never uses. Come on now, who uses an 11,12,13,14,15,16,17? That is 7 gears so closely spaced that you need to shift 3 gears to tell you've shifted at all.
    You can keep the 11 and 12 but the rest yes please. Today I was on my cross bike on the road because it was already dirty from last Sunday and it was wet snow conditions at 2 C. I have a 11 speed 11-32 cassette on that bike because I need the range
    off road but on the road today I could exactly tell when there was a 2 tooth jump when I shifted.

Lou
    I think that telling a 2 tooth jump is missing the point - it ADDS no speed to have 4 or 5 years that are one tooth apart. Being able to tell a 2 tooth jump doesn't mean that it slows you down. A 13 to 15 change is no more than the NORMAL power levels
    of your legs.

I missing the point of the benefits of 1 tooth jumps between gears? A jump from 13T to 15T is a 15% jump and in my world large, a jump from 30T to 34T is a 13% jump. Think in percentage and come back. Power levels of your legs stays the same. It is about
    comfort and efficiency (getting tired sooner)

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Thu Nov 30 10:41:51 2023
    On 11/30/2023 5:01 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 29, 2023 at 1:53:13 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

And of course it never occurred to that half-wit why just about every performance road cassette on the market uses 11,12,13,14,15,16,17 for the first 7 cogs. (refer to Lous post about percentages for those of you who don't know)

Why?
    Because there are no 13-1/2t sprockets, that's why.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05