• Cost of New Bikes

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 11 07:50:20 2023
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build
    a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (
    like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to
    inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing for them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Nov 11 10:01:55 2023
    On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can
    build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (
    like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to
    inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing for them.

Besides the more laborious design, machining and setup
    processes (not merely welding), a going concern has to pay
    for energy, supplies and materials. Don't forget rent,
    utilities, taxes and maintenance. Then there's the tradeoff
    between time and capital tooling. Amortize those expenses
    over some number of sales and it doesn't look much like a
    gravy train in most cases.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sat Nov 11 12:07:54 2023
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can
    build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    Tooling, machining and such are spread over the numbers of bikes which can run into the thousands making the cost of these things minimal at best.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Nov 11 12:32:34 2023
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 4:50:22 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Q: What is a fair price for a bike?
    A: The price people are willing to pay and the competion allows.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Nov 11 14:55:24 2023
    On 11/11/2023 2:07 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Tooling, machining and such are spread over the numbers of bikes which can run into the thousands making the cost of these things minimal at best.

Artisan shop (up to low hundreds per year) $20K~$50K. Modern
    automated facility such as Panasonic Osaka, hundreds of
    millions of dollars.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Sun Nov 12 06:23:33 2023
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:07:54 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
    <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people
    that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing
    and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a
    bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or
    aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super
    lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now
    building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or
    lack of) of steel.

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they
    can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like
    running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (like falling
    over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at
    all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to
    friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on
    the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal
    but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing
    for them.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

You are forgetting the cost of labour. I read that minimum wages in
    California are now $15.50/hour, $124/8 hour day.
    Shanghai China the minimum is 24 yuan/hour, 192 yuan/day - about
    $26.30, a day and in Thailand it is 354 baht, about $9.90 a day.

And when you add in the U.S., FICA, and other charges it makes an even
    greater difference.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to John B. on Sat Nov 11 23:35:48 2023
    John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:

aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now
    lack of) of steel.

can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on
    but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing
    for them.

The idea that rim brakes are on par with disk in the wet, is ridiculous
    really.

And equally the idea your going to rip out the hydraulic line, I guess it
    is possible but well into the improbable, after all MTB well crash fairly frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing
    pipes and so on.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Tooling, machining and such are spread over the numbers of bikes which
    can run into the thousands making the cost of these things minimal at best.

You are forgetting the cost of labour. I read that minimum wages in California are now $15.50/hour, $124/8 hour day.

And when you add in the U.S., FICA, and other charges it makes an even greater difference.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Roger Merriman on Sat Nov 11 15:59:34 2023
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 3:35:52 PM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
    John B. <sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
    <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or
    lack of) of steel.

can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on
    for them.
    The idea that rim brakes are on par with disk in the wet, is ridiculous really.

is possible but well into the improbable, after all MTB well crash fairly frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing pipes and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

You are forgetting the cost of labour. I read that minimum wages in California are now $15.50/hour, $124/8 hour day.

And when you add in the U.S., FICA, and other charges it makes an even greater difference.
    Roger Merriman

I didn't say it would be common. I said that it could happen. And perhaps you think that disc brakes are better than rim brakes but when I can lock the brakes in RAIN with either that makes discs look like just another reason to buy a new bike.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 12 07:07:22 2023
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:55:24 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents"
    (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to

millions of dollars.

Automated machinery is an interesting subject. Years ago I did some
    surveys for a U.S. consulting firm and visited the Toyota factory
    here. They had just installed a new automated welding machine that
    (from memory) welded axle housings into the deferential housing. I
    made a comment about how it must be cheaper then employing skilled
    welders and they replied, "Yes. And it makes perfect welds every
    time".
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 11 17:01:41 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 07:07:22 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents"
    (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to

millions of dollars.

time".

Automated assembly probably won't work well with $7,500 frames.
    Automation works best when all the products are identical. Automation
    works badly if every bicycle is a custom frame size, different
    configuration, different options, different paint, different decals,
    etc. If Tom were buying hundreds of frames or complete bicycles, I
    believe automated assembly might be possible but not with one frame.

A good example of this is Dell. You can buy Dell computahs in various
    ways. The cheapest is to order one of the "stock" configurations,
    which Dell produces by the thousands and sells them in any quantity
    from one machine to thousands. Henry Ford described this method
    nicely. You can buy any color you want, as long as it's black. It's
    the same with Dell computers. You can have any configuration you want
    as long as it's one of the Dell "stock" configurations.

For those with money to burn, they can order online almost any
    configuration. Almost means that the option has to be available for
    Dell to install. The buyer goes to the Dell online ordering page,
    selects a base model, and then adds options until he runs out of
    money. There are some mutually exclusive options and features, but
    Dell's software does a good job of preventing people from ordering
    unusable systems. The problem is that these computahs cost more than
    the "stock" configurations and take longer to deliver.

If you want to build your own computer, Dell can sell you the case,
    boards and options from their repair inventory. Prices are high, but
    if you want to build your own Dell computer from parts, it can be
    done. Well, maybe. Looks like the SPMD (Spare Parts Master Database)
    and PCD (Parts Compatibility Database) are now only for Dell internal
    use.

Since Tom likes to buy on eBay and Craigslist, Dell will also sell
    refurbished computers:
    <https://www.dellrefurbished.com>

I'm not sure what Tom would do with a $7,500 frame at a reduced price.
    Will he order a frame in a quantity of one? That would not fit well
    with automated assembly. Will he order a custom assembled bicycle in
    the style of Dell? If he doesn't like the $7,500 price for the frame,
    he also won't like the astronomical price for the completed custom
    bicycle. My guess(tm) is he will continue his habit of buying
    components on eBay or Craigslist. That will have a low success rate
    as demonstrated by the range of problems Tom has experienced.

Good luck.

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 12 07:29:50 2023
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:01:55 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Years ago I participated in a study of price versus sales. We used a 1
    hp outboard motor, commonly used on fishing boats in those days, as
    the item and simply varied the price up and down and recorded the
    number sold. We found that the maximum sales did not result from the
    lowest prices but from a price nearer the mid point of the price
    range. It seems that people have a "perceived value" for things and a
    much cheaper selling price may be met with the thought "Oh, must be
    cheap junk" while a much more expensive price is "Oh! they are trying
    to gouge us!"

Now, if a couple of guys with an adding machine can figure that out
    I'll bet that a major manufacturing company can too and I'd guess that
    an important part of the designing a new product is "expected sales
    price", and "Can we make a profit at that price?"
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 12 08:19:16 2023
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:35:48 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

lack of) of steel.

but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that
    manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing
    for them.

The idea that rim brakes are on par with disk in the wet, is ridiculous >really.

I'm not so sure about that, if you limit it to "in the wet" as I had a
    bike with "V brakes" that would lock either or both wheels coasting
    down a hill in the rain. At probably 25 or so kph (I was afraid to
    lock up the wheels and skid at a faster speed).

And "on a par" is again a rather nebulas statement. In somewhere
    approaching 50 years of riding on a bicycle I can only remember one
    really, truly, emergency stop. With rim, probably side pull, brakes I
    was in traffic and a taxi stopped in front of me. Cars on both side so
    couldn't turn to avoid the taxi. I grabbed the brakes and the rear
    wheel came off the ground which scared me even more, I eased up on the
    brakes and hit the taxi although at a much slower speed.

Note that I'm being very specific in my comments here. If you want to
    go wandering off in the muck and mire then perhaps discs are superior.
    I really don't know as I figure that as the Highway Gods have given us
    paved roads I'll use them.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to John B. on Sun Nov 12 10:08:57 2023
    wrote:

lack of) of steel.

manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing
    for them.

really.

The kids locally use there trainers to near lock the rear wheel, down the
    local near vertical hill.

I can if if wish (but why?) lock the wheels on the MTB and by that I do
    mean lock the wheels not simply slow or reach tip over point.

was in traffic and a taxi stopped in front of me. Cars on both side so couldn't turn to avoid the taxi. I grabbed the brakes and the rear

A awful lot of my riding is on tarmac, even so disks are useful as ever not needed but a nice want, for the commute it’s a lot easier and less maintenance, on the gravel bike even on paved roads, fair bit more control
    and power, again that’s like rather than need.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 12 17:34:02 2023
    wrote:

that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing >>>> and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a
    lack of) of steel.

can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like >>>> running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at >>>> all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic
    friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on >>>> the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal
    manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing >>>> for them.

really.

The kids locally use there trainers to near lock the rear wheel, down the >local near vertical hill.

The point is that if you can stop the wheel from turning you have
    applied all the stopping force that the bicycle is capable of
    providing and stopping then becomes a matter of the tires and the
    pavement. Or the mud I suppose (:-)

A awful lot of my riding is on tarmac, even so disks are useful as ever not >needed but a nice want, for the commute it’s a lot easier and less >maintenance, on the gravel bike even on paved roads, fair bit more control >and power, again that’s like rather than need.

Roger Merriman

This "less maintenance" thing is, honestly, rather puzzling. I've been
    riding with rim brakes for somewhere in the region of 40 years or
    maybe longer and I can't remember ever having and problems with
    brakes. Nor, for that matter with bicycles in general, after all they
    are a rather simple mechanical device.

As for more control and power? How is it possible to have more power
    then stopping the wheel from turning? And control? What does that
    mean" You can go down a hill safely? I was going down hills safely
    when I was 12 years old with nothing but a rear wheel "coaster"brake.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 12 04:26:24 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 12:59:38 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or
    lack of) of steel.

over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal
    but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing for them.

And equally the idea your going to rip out the hydraulic line, I guess it is possible but well into the improbable, after all MTB well crash fairly frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing pipes and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Tooling, machining and such are spread over the numbers of bikes which >> can run into the thousands making the cost of these things minimal at best.

Roger Merriman
    I didn't say it would be common. I said that it could happen.

The same chance of braking a cable on a well maintained bike with rim brakes. You may not like disk brake but don't come up with BS reasons.

And perhaps you think that disc brakes are better than rim brakes but when I can lock the brakes in RAIN with either that makes discs look like just another reason to buy a new bike.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a new bike with disk brakes and a few people do.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sun Nov 12 07:12:18 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 4:26:27 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:07:54 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing for them.

is possible but well into the improbable, after all MTB well crash fairly
    frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing pipes and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Shanghai China the minimum is 24 yuan/hour, 192 yuan/day - about $26.30, a day and in Thailand it is 354 baht, about $9.90 a day.

Roger Merriman
    The same chance of braking a cable on a well maintained bike with rim brakes. You may not like disk brake but don't come up with BS reasons.
    And perhaps you think that disc brakes are better than rim brakes but when I can lock the brakes in RAIN with either that makes discs look like just another reason to buy a new bike.
    Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a new bike with disk brakes and a few people do.

Lou
    Come on Lou, cyclists are the easiest people in the world to brain wash. Then moved discs over to the road bikes not to improve braking which they don't do, but because it allowed them to make lighter deep carbon wheels and then after they sold everyone
    on that they are now making shallow carbon wheels "for cyclocross" and everyone if buying them despite the fact that almost no American rides cyclocross because it is nasty and muddy. Don't try to put a happy face on it - you can lock the wheels on
    properly adjusted rim brakes, wet or dry, and discs sell only because the pro racers use them and a large segment of them don't like them but ride them because of their contracts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sun Nov 12 07:05:02 2023
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 12:32:36 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

Lou

Of course you're correct. But I designed so many products for medium to large scale production that I know what construction costs. If you're a mechanical engineer you should too in which case you know that I'm correct of frame building costs. I can set
    up the aluminum Trek assembly line so that they could turn out 500 bikes a day. And the only really skilled labor would be the heliarc welders.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Jeff Liebermann on Sun Nov 12 09:35:10 2023
    On 11/11/2023 7:01 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 07:07:22 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "
    accidents" (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is
    another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major
    failing for them.

millions of dollars.

time".

Automated assembly probably won't work well with $7,500 frames.
    Automation works best when all the products are identical. Automation
    works badly if every bicycle is a custom frame size, different
    configuration, different options, different paint, different decals,
    etc. If Tom were buying hundreds of frames or complete bicycles, I
    believe automated assembly might be possible but not with one frame.

A good example of this is Dell. You can buy Dell computahs in various
    ways. The cheapest is to order one of the "stock" configurations,
    which Dell produces by the thousands and sells them in any quantity
    from one machine to thousands. Henry Ford described this method
    nicely. You can buy any color you want, as long as it's black. It's
    the same with Dell computers. You can have any configuration you want
    as long as it's one of the Dell "stock" configurations.

For those with money to burn, they can order online almost any
    configuration. Almost means that the option has to be available for
    Dell to install. The buyer goes to the Dell online ordering page,
    selects a base model, and then adds options until he runs out of
    money. There are some mutually exclusive options and features, but
    Dell's software does a good job of preventing people from ordering
    unusable systems. The problem is that these computahs cost more than
    the "stock" configurations and take longer to deliver.

If you want to build your own computer, Dell can sell you the case,
    boards and options from their repair inventory. Prices are high, but
    if you want to build your own Dell computer from parts, it can be
    done. Well, maybe. Looks like the SPMD (Spare Parts Master Database)
    and PCD (Parts Compatibility Database) are now only for Dell internal
    use.

Since Tom likes to buy on eBay and Craigslist, Dell will also sell refurbished computers:
    <https://www.dellrefurbished.com>

I'm not sure what Tom would do with a $7,500 frame at a reduced price.
    Will he order a frame in a quantity of one? That would not fit well
    with automated assembly. Will he order a custom assembled bicycle in
    the style of Dell? If he doesn't like the $7,500 price for the frame,
    he also won't like the astronomical price for the completed custom
    bicycle. My guess(tm) is he will continue his habit of buying
    components on eBay or Craigslist. That will have a low success rate
    as demonstrated by the range of problems Tom has experienced.

Good luck.

This is not new technology:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hd2GZQxWs

Even standard models already require 3 or 5 or 10 setups for
    size, multiply by models. 'Custom' is but a small variation
    in software, not much impediment.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to John B. on Sun Nov 12 09:22:15 2023
    On 11/11/2023 6:07 PM, John B. wrote:

millions of dollars.

time".

And does it 24 hours per day, every day, exactly the same.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 12 09:40:25 2023
    On 11/12/2023 9:05 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 12:32:36 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

Lou

Of course you're correct. But I designed so many products for medium to large scale production that I know what construction costs. If you're a mechanical engineer you should too in which case you know that I'm correct of frame building costs. I can
    set up the aluminum Trek assembly line so that they could turn out 500 bikes a day. And the only really skilled labor would be the heliarc welders.

That would be a robot weld station, not meatware.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 12 11:00:56 2023
    On 11/12/2023 10:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:

This is not new technology:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hd2GZQxWs

We used very similar robots in our robotics course and lab. Ours were by
    Nachi (and relabeled as GE) instead of ABB.

One of the sort of side benefits of such automation is that robots tend
    to require better upstream production accuracy. That is, a single
    craftsman building a frame may make a slight error when (say) cutting or mitering a frame tube, but find a way to make it work acceptably. That's
    much less likely with a robotic setup, since the robot is not as
    adaptable. So the production of component parts has to be more uniform,
    causing an additional increase in product quality.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 12 08:05:32 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 7:22:19 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:55:24 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you
    can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "
    accidents" (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to friction. This is
    another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major
    failing for them.

millions of dollars.

Automated machinery is an interesting subject. Years ago I did some surveys for a U.S. consulting firm and visited the Toyota factory
    time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

#1 John is a pure unadulterated bullshiter. Anyone that would hire him to "consult" on anything couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.
    #2 Why would Toyota weld the axle housing onto the differential case when the majority of the production is 4 wheel drive which requires a hinged connection? Do you suppose they only automate the single wheel drive assembly line? There are little roads
    in Africa and China where a large part of their production goes.
    #3 Welding an axle casing to the differential housing could hardly be called automation at all since it is nothing more than automating the actual welding (which can be easily done with resistance) and the turning of the initial connection would probably
    be done by a human welder anyway. I haven't looked under a car in years but the older cars use to pressure form the steel axle housing and then bolt is onto the differential case. This would far more easily be automated for production. And it gives
    direct and not indirect access to the differential.

This all had to do with automating bicycle construction. Metal construction is a snap. Clarence Witt built the bikes for his racing team and as a custom builder, it took more time to get the measurements from his team riders than building the bikes in
    the back of the shop. Production bikes all have standard sizes meaning that cutting the tube lengths are normally done AT THE TUBING manufacturer because otherwise you would be cutting off the butting or in the case of aluminum - you would be destroying
    the pressure forming.

All the bike manufacturer is doing is cutting the crescent ends and brazing. Brazing is an art but it can be learned in a day or two and most mistakes can be fixed by a competent brazier. So braziers are cheap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 12 08:37:41 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 4:12:21 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote: >>> On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (like falling over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at
    all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to
    the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing
    for them.
    really.

frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing
    pipes and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Shanghai China the minimum is 24 yuan/hour, 192 yuan/day - about $26.30, a day and in Thailand it is 354 baht, about $9.90 a day.

greater difference.
    Roger Merriman

Lou
    Come on Lou, cyclists are the easiest people in the world to brain wash. Then moved discs over to the road bikes not to improve braking which they don't do, but because it allowed them to make lighter deep carbon wheels and then after they sold
    everyone on that they are now making shallow carbon wheels "for cyclocross" and everyone if buying them despite the fact that almost no American rides cyclocross because it is nasty and muddy. Don't try to put a happy face on it - you can lock the wheels
    on properly adjusted rim brakes, wet or dry, and discs sell only because the pro racers use them and a large segment of them don't like them but ride them because of their contracts.

I rate my brakes in wet/dry and alu/cf rims as follows:

Rimbrake on alu rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Rimbrake on alu rims in wet conditions: 90%
    Rimbrake on cf rims in dry condions: 60%
    Rimbrake on cf rims in wet conditions: 30%

Diskbrake with alu rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Diskbrake with alu rims in wet conditions: 95%
    Diskbrake with cf rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Diskbrake with cf rims in wet conditions: 95%

For me this means I don’t ride my rimbrake aero bike with cf rims in the wet and my climbing bike with rimbrakes and alu rime is tiring in long descents in the wet.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 12 10:57:20 2023
    On 11/12/2023 10:05 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:55:24 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote: >>>
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you
    can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

failing for them.

millions of dollars.

time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

#1 John is a pure unadulterated bullshiter. Anyone that would hire him to "consult" on anything couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.
    #2 Why would Toyota weld the axle housing onto the differential case when the majority of the production is 4 wheel drive which requires a hinged connection? Do you suppose they only automate the single wheel drive assembly line? There are little roads
    #3 Welding an axle casing to the differential housing could hardly be called automation at all since it is nothing more than automating the actual welding (which can be easily done with resistance) and the turning of the initial connection would
    probably be done by a human welder anyway. I haven't looked under a car in years but the older cars use to pressure form the steel axle housing and then bolt is onto the differential case. This would far more easily be automated for production. And it
    gives direct and not indirect access to the differential.

This all had to do with automating bicycle construction. Metal construction is a snap. Clarence Witt built the bikes for his racing team and as a custom builder, it took more time to get the measurements from his team riders than building the bikes in
    the back of the shop. Production bikes all have standard sizes meaning that cutting the tube lengths are normally done AT THE TUBING manufacturer because otherwise you would be cutting off the butting or in the case of aluminum - you would be destroying
    the pressure forming.

All the bike manufacturer is doing is cutting the crescent ends and brazing. Brazing is an art but it can be learned in a day or two and most mistakes can be fixed by a competent brazier. So braziers are cheap.

That's not even remotely right.

Tubes are delivered as cylinders and any miters are cut as
    needed for each job (or each series).

http://www.yellowjersey.org/gth8.jpg

Miters can be damned-near-perfect or merely approximate [1]
    by automated milling machine or by hand. Here's an original
    factory tube and my replacement for example:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/hk20f.jpg

Automated process for brazed joints (often induction
    fixture, not flame) is very old technology (~100 years).
    Trek was using it in the 1980s (back when they made steel
    frames in USA) to successfully lower payroll expense.

https://www.ambrell.com/blog/the-evolution-and-history-of-induction-heating-part-1

p.s. Premium tube was once stamped with manufacturer, model
    and gauge at the butt[2] end.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9e2024_61edb531bb8f4a2599776ad36a82c462~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_566,h_424,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/9e2024_61edb531bb8f4a2599776ad36a82c462~mv2.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_0278_97b8ba6a48126aea2c57293187e86512ce257f50.jpg

Modern tube has a paint smear (gauges noted by color) on the
    butt end. At any rate a tape measure finds the tube midpoint
    and resting the tube there shows which end is thicker or
    which butt is longer. This is not rocket science. Even
    automated systems do it.

[1] as with anything else time is money, tooling is money,
    skilled operator attention is money, etc.
    [2]or longer butt for DB tube
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Sun Nov 12 09:37:38 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 07:05:02 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

Of course you're correct. But I designed so many products for medium to large scale production that I know what construction costs. If you're a mechanical engineer you should too in which case you know that I'm correct of frame building costs. I can set
    up the aluminum Trek assembly line so that they could turn out 500 bikes a day. And the only really skilled labor would be the heliarc welders.

If you've designed "so many" products, know frame building costs, can
    "setup" the Trek aluminum assembly line to produce 500 (complete)
    bicycles per day, you must know which manufacturers are currently
    using robotics to fabricate and assemble their bicycles. Could I
    trouble you for their names (and URL's) so I can read about their
    methods? I especially would like to know how they handle "floppy"
    components, such as brake and shifting cables. Also, how the assembly
    robot handles variations in the frame size and position when attaching components.

Heliarc and helium gas are no longer used as a shielding gas for
    welding aluminum. The most common welding gas mix is 75% argon, 25%
    carbon dioxide. There are other blends available: <https://eurekaoxygencompany.com/2020/02/15/argon-co2-mixtures/>
    The technology is called TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding. Frame
    welding has already been successfully automated by most bicycle
    manufacturers and suppliers. No human welders are involved in the
    welding. I couldn't find much on Trek, but here's a vague description
    of what Giant Group is doing:
    "AI-Assisted Aluminum Manufacturing" <https://www.giantgroup-cycling.com/en/technology01>

Reminder: Since you want the frame built to your exact
    specifications, how is the assembly robot going to deal with changes
    in frame position and geometry when each frame is different?

Also: I know you don't want to pay $7,500 for a frame. What price
    would you consider acceptable for an aluminum or steel frame
    robotically built to your exacting specifications? There are plenty
    of custom frame builders around. Have you asked anyone for an
    estimate?

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 12 12:51:29 2023
    On 11/12/2023 11:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Automated process for brazed joints (often induction fixture, not flame)
    is very old technology (~100 years). Trek was using it in the 1980s
    (back when they made steel frames in USA) to successfully lower payroll expense.

https://www.ambrell.com/blog/the-evolution-and-history-of-induction-heating-part-1

This is a local company that specializes in induction heating equipment: https://www.ajaxtocco.com/home.asp?ID=2

They've hired many graduates from my program, and their former vice
    president is a long time friend of mine. He served for years on our
    industrial advisory committee and taught a few courses for us.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 12 14:53:55 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 09:37:38 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
    wrote:

Frame
    "AI-Assisted Aluminum Manufacturing" ><https://www.giantgroup-cycling.com/en/technology01>

Robot Building Bike (Nov 2018):
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZU80O8C4Ns> (3:43)
    This was apparently taken at a trade show, not at the Luna Cycle
    factory. Luna Cycle makes eBikes, not human powered bicycles.

Two wheeler chassis welding by robot <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4khVKNZK3M> (1:02)
    I think a "two wheeler" might be a bicycle, but it's hard to tell.
    Near the end of the video, you can see a top view of the frame showing
    obvious chain stays.

Tianjin Fujita Bicycle Co, Ltd. The CNC milling and robotic welding
    section starts at 4:02.
    <https://youtu.be/AV_FGC2Afss> (11:30)

Advanced Robotic Bike Frame Welding 1 thru 5 (Battle Fujita Bicycle
    Factory) (Nov 2016)
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hd2GZQxWs> (1:01) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56Ty8FoYo0> (0:38) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxPEDJwfiLU> (1:06) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCXLnIgSw0> (0:41) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofoF-ZZx-U> (0:28)

If I add up the robot cycle times, I get about 4 minutes per bicycle
    per machine. I'll add one more minute for loading and unloading. If
    they ran the machines 24 hrs per day, that would be:
    1,440 min/day / 5 min per frame = 288 frames per day per machine

Tom: Is there something you would want to teach them about robotic
    welding that they didn't know from the past 7 years of operation?

Automatic Packaging Line (Battle Fujita Bicycle) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstGGm5IG3w> (0.47)
    Notice that the robotic assembly line still requires a fair number of
    humans. Also notice that the cardboard box says "Bianchi".
    More Tianjin Fujita Bicycle videos: <https://www.youtube.com/@tianjinbattlefujitabicycle4290/videos>

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Mon Nov 13 05:56:21 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 08:05:32 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 7:22:19?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:55:24 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote: >> >

failing for them.

millions of dollars.

time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

#3 Welding an axle casing to the differential housing could hardly be called automation at all since it is nothing more than automating the actual welding (which can be easily done with resistance) and the turning of the initial connection would
    probably be done by a human welder anyway. I haven't looked under a car in years but the older cars use to pressure form the steel axle housing and then bolt is onto the differential case. This would far more easily be automated for production. And it

the pressure forming.

Tommy boy, every time you open your mouth you demonstrate your
    stupidity. But to reply too your idiocy.

As I wrote I was conduction a survey, i.e. going around and asking
    questions to determine whether there would be sufficient demand for
    the U.S. Consulting company to enter the market in Thailand.

Again as I wrote, this was "Years ago" and Toyota did not build 4
    wheel drive in Thailand in that period.

As for automated welding? Well you can call it anything that you want
    to but tell us, what do you call it when the point gets welded by a
    machine with no human present?

By the way here is a photo of a welded rear axle housing https://tinyurl.com/2xdbvuja
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 13 06:06:00 2023
    wrote:

Of course you're correct. But I designed so many products for medium to large scale production that I know what construction costs. If you're a mechanical engineer you should too in which case you know that I'm correct of frame building costs. I can
    set up the aluminum Trek assembly line so that they could turn out 500 bikes a day. And the only really skilled labor would be the heliarc welders.

If you've designed "so many" products, know frame building costs, can
    "setup" the Trek aluminum assembly line to produce 500 (complete)
    bicycles per day, you must know which manufacturers are currently
    using robotics to fabricate and assemble their bicycles. Could I
    trouble you for their names (and URL's) so I can read about their
    methods? I especially would like to know how they handle "floppy" >components, such as brake and shifting cables. Also, how the assembly
    robot handles variations in the frame size and position when attaching >components.

Heliarc and helium gas are no longer used as a shielding gas for
    welding aluminum. The most common welding gas mix is 75% argon, 25%
    carbon dioxide. There are other blends available: ><https://eurekaoxygencompany.com/2020/02/15/argon-co2-mixtures/>
    The technology is called TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding. Frame
    "AI-Assisted Aluminum Manufacturing" ><https://www.giantgroup-cycling.com/en/technology01>

Reminder: Since you want the frame built to your exact
    specifications, how is the assembly robot going to deal with changes
    in frame position and geometry when each frame is different?

Also: I know you don't want to pay $7,500 for a frame. What price
    would you consider acceptable for an aluminum or steel frame
    robotically built to your exacting specifications? There are plenty
    of custom frame builders around. Have you asked anyone for an
    estimate?

Come now Jeff. Tommy doesn't have to ask anyone about anything as he
    knows everything about everything! And yes the earth is flat, after
    all if it is round like the fools argue the people down there in
    Australia would all fall off.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Jeff Liebermann on Sun Nov 12 17:05:48 2023
    On 11/12/2023 4:53 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    wrote:

Frame
    "AI-Assisted Aluminum Manufacturing"
    <https://www.giantgroup-cycling.com/en/technology01>

Two wheeler chassis welding by robot <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4khVKNZK3M> (1:02)
    I think a "two wheeler" might be a bicycle, but it's hard to tell.
    Near the end of the video, you can see a top view of the frame showing obvious chain stays.

Tianjin Fujita Bicycle Co, Ltd. The CNC milling and robotic welding
    section starts at 4:02.
    <https://youtu.be/AV_FGC2Afss> (11:30)

Advanced Robotic Bike Frame Welding 1 thru 5 (Battle Fujita Bicycle
    Factory) (Nov 2016)
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1hd2GZQxWs> (1:01) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t56Ty8FoYo0> (0:38) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxPEDJwfiLU> (1:06) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCXLnIgSw0> (0:41) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofoF-ZZx-U> (0:28)

If I add up the robot cycle times, I get about 4 minutes per bicycle
    per machine. I'll add one more minute for loading and unloading. If
    they ran the machines 24 hrs per day, that would be:
    1,440 min/day / 5 min per frame = 288 frames per day per machine

Tom: Is there something you would want to teach them about robotic
    welding that they didn't know from the past 7 years of operation?

Automatic Packaging Line (Battle Fujita Bicycle) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstGGm5IG3w> (0.47)
    Notice that the robotic assembly line still requires a fair number of
    humans. Also notice that the cardboard box says "Bianchi".
    More Tianjin Fujita Bicycle videos: <https://www.youtube.com/@tianjinbattlefujitabicycle4290/videos>

That production is moving (I am told by Bianchi) to their
    new Italian facility.

Bicycle frame construction employs a wide range of humans,
    fixtures, materials, techniques and robots. As with anything
    else, there are quality/time/capital investment etc curves
    which optimize at different points for different individual
    products.

For example a moderately automated motorcycle frame facility:

https://www.automate.org/case-studies/precision-welding-robots-rev-up-motorcycle-frame-production

Not as hi-zoot as some, but probably less expensive.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Jeff Liebermann on Sun Nov 12 19:14:30 2023
    On 11/12/2023 5:53 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm surprised at the big pre-welding gaps between tubes, for example
    where the top and down tubes meet the head tube and each other. I'd
    expect those to be much tighter fits. Granted, it's nowhere near as
    critical for TIG welding as it is for brazing, but still...

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Mon Nov 13 07:23:12 2023

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 12:32:36?PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 4:50:22?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

Yes Tommy... your exploits grow ever day. A month, or so, ago you
    announced that your investments had reached 1 million and then a few
    days ago they had reached 2 million. And now you are designing
    products for large scale production.

Will wonders never cease?
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Sun Nov 12 18:24:02 2023
    On 11/12/2023 6:14 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZU80O8C4Ns>  (3:43)
    This was apparently taken at a trade show, not at the Luna
    Cycle
    factory.  Luna Cycle makes eBikes, not human powered
    bicycles.

I'm surprised at the big pre-welding gaps between tubes, for
    example where the top and down tubes meet the head tube and
    each other. I'd expect those to be much tighter fits.
    Granted, it's nowhere near as critical for TIG welding as it
    is for brazing, but still...

I take apart quite a few steel joints and in my experience
    contact area varies widely. People who care make full
    contact miters but where cost is critical they are a simple
    chop with poor fit.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to frkrygow@sbcglobal.net on Sun Nov 12 18:20:50 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 19:14:30 -0500, Frank Krygowski
    <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

expect those to be much tighter fits. Granted, it's nowhere near as
    critical for TIG welding as it is for brazing, but still...

That's what I do when I'm stick welding any metal that might move or
    expand. If I started welding at one end of the joint, and progressed
    towards the other end of the joint, I will always find myself with a
    large gap or twist at the end of the weld. To avoid that problem,
    it's common practice to tack weld the joint at convenient intervals to
    keep thermal expansion from ruining the fit. Then there's a pause for
    the parts to cool down, tack welds to harden, and parts reach thermal equilibrium. The welder or robot then welds over a few tack welds,
    and again stops to let the parts cool down. For the robot in the
    video, it simply skipped to a different part of the frame while the
    previous weld is cooling and hardening. When that's done, the robot
    returns to the first series of tack welds, and welds the next series.
    You can see it happen in the video.

"What Is a Tack Weld and What Are the Pros and Cons?" <https://www.pemnet.com/company/pem-blog/what-is-a-tack-weld-and-what-are-the-pros-and-cons/>

Incidentally, I had exactly the same problem last week when I was
    welding my wood burning stove back together. I had to MIG flux wire
    weld a 13 inch long crack in the back of the stove. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/EUknsZj8HBxa165w6>
    For reasons unknown, the sides of the stove were made from 1/8" steel
    plate, while the back was only 1/16". I didn't notice this and almost
    burned a hole in the back plate. If you look at the photo carefully,
    you might notice that the back plate was warped and had buckled. I
    did that by overheating the stove and by failing to replace the
    protective fire brick. To keep the warping and buckling from getting
    worse, I had to tack weld along the crack every 1.5 inches starting
    from the center of the crack. It was very difficult to pre-align the
    two parts of the warped back plate.

Unfortunately, I was not doing very well with the flux welding. It
    was a new welder and I hadn't practiced sufficiently. I messed up the
    wire feed tension adjustment and the feed/voltage settings. I also
    failed to remove the mill scale from the internal angle brackets. The
    result was a really ugly weld:
    <https://photos.app.goo.gl/jxv8yp6ErtbsiXhW9>
    I then made it worse by going over the joint twice. I was able to
    inspect the opposite side of the back plate and determined that I had sufficient penetration. It should hold together until next summer,
    when I plan to tear it apart and try again.

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 13 10:30:33 2023
    On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:20:50 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
    wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 19:14:30 -0500, Frank Krygowski
    <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

expect those to be much tighter fits. Granted, it's nowhere near as >>critical for TIG welding as it is for brazing, but still...

That's what I do when I'm stick welding any metal that might move or
    expand. If I started welding at one end of the joint, and progressed
    towards the other end of the joint, I will always find myself with a
    large gap or twist at the end of the weld. To avoid that problem,
    it's common practice to tack weld the joint at convenient intervals to
    keep thermal expansion from ruining the fit. Then there's a pause for
    the parts to cool down, tack welds to harden, and parts reach thermal >equilibrium. The welder or robot then welds over a few tack welds,
    and again stops to let the parts cool down. For the robot in the
    video, it simply skipped to a different part of the frame while the
    previous weld is cooling and hardening. When that's done, the robot
    returns to the first series of tack welds, and welds the next series.
    You can see it happen in the video.

The fellow in charge of the Welding Shop and I (Machine shop) were
    going for coffee one day and he said, "Wait a minute, I've got to tell
    this kid what to do - kid (newbe in the shop) who was working on a
    project which partially entailed welding two 4' x 8' sheets of 1/2"
    steel plate together on the long asepsis. So he tells the kid to space
    then "about this far apart" and "Be Damned sure you tack them together
    all the way before you start welding them!" And we go for coffee.

And of course we run into a couple of the other Shop Chiefs and we are
    talking about this and that and we get back to our shop after,
    probably a half hour, or maybe a bit longer, and of course the "kid"
    knows more then his Shop Chief so he had simply spaced the sheets a
    bit apart and started welding on one end... You can't even begin to
    believe how much a 4 ft. wide slab of steel will warp horizontally
    then you do that (:-)

"What Is a Tack Weld and What Are the Pros and Cons?" ><https://www.pemnet.com/company/pem-blog/what-is-a-tack-weld-and-what-are-the-pros-and-cons/>

Incidentally, I had exactly the same problem last week when I was
    welding my wood burning stove back together. I had to MIG flux wire
    weld a 13 inch long crack in the back of the stove. ><https://photos.app.goo.gl/EUknsZj8HBxa165w6>
    For reasons unknown, the sides of the stove were made from 1/8" steel
    plate, while the back was only 1/16". I didn't notice this and almost
    burned a hole in the back plate. If you look at the photo carefully,
    you might notice that the back plate was warped and had buckled. I
    did that by overheating the stove and by failing to replace the
    protective fire brick. To keep the warping and buckling from getting
    worse, I had to tack weld along the crack every 1.5 inches starting
    from the center of the crack. It was very difficult to pre-align the
    two parts of the warped back plate.

Unfortunately, I was not doing very well with the flux welding. It
    was a new welder and I hadn't practiced sufficiently. I messed up the
    wire feed tension adjustment and the feed/voltage settings. I also
    failed to remove the mill scale from the internal angle brackets. The
    result was a really ugly weld:
    <https://photos.app.goo.gl/jxv8yp6ErtbsiXhW9>
    I then made it worse by going over the joint twice. I was able to
    inspect the opposite side of the back plate and determined that I had >sufficient penetration. It should hold together until next summer,
    when I plan to tear it apart and try again.

I was still in the Service when "Wire Welders" first came into use but
    the last time I certified we still used TIG as the "wire welders"
    weren't certified for aircraft welding at that time. But I did try one
    in a civilian shop and my impression was that they weren't very
    versatile. You get the rig all set up to weld, say 1/2" aluminum and
    it works great but then try it on 1/16".
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Mon Nov 13 07:41:25 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 8:37:44 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 4:12:21 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote: >>> On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (like falling
    all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to
    for them.
    really.

frequently, in unsurprising news they don’t spend there life replacing
    pipes and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

You are forgetting the cost of labour. I read that minimum wages in
    California are now $15.50/hour, $124/8 hour day.

greater difference.
    Roger Merriman

Lou
    Come on Lou, cyclists are the easiest people in the world to brain wash. Then moved discs over to the road bikes not to improve braking which they don't do, but because it allowed them to make lighter deep carbon wheels and then after they sold
    everyone on that they are now making shallow carbon wheels "for cyclocross" and everyone if buying them despite the fact that almost no American rides cyclocross because it is nasty and muddy. Don't try to put a happy face on it - you can lock the wheels
    on properly adjusted rim brakes, wet or dry, and discs sell only because the pro racers use them and a large segment of them don't like them but ride them because of their contracts.
    I rate my brakes in wet/dry and alu/cf rims as follows:

Rimbrake on alu rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Rimbrake on alu rims in wet conditions: 90%
    Rimbrake on cf rims in dry condions: 60%
    Rimbrake on cf rims in wet conditions: 30%

Diskbrake with alu rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Diskbrake with alu rims in wet conditions: 95%
    Diskbrake with cf rims in dry conditions: 100%
    Diskbrake with cf rims in wet conditions: 95%

For me this means I don’t ride my rimbrake aero bike with cf rims in the wet and my climbing bike with rimbrakes and alu rime is tiring in long descents in the wet.

Lou
    I used the rim brakes that came with the carbon fiber rims and they were probably below 50% wet or dry. But after I changed to Campagnolo carbon pads they became about 100% in all conditions but I may have begun braking a little earlier because of my
    experience with the provided brake shoes.

You have to remember, that people react differently in different conditions without realizing it. But I could lock the wheels with rim brakes on carbon wheels before I converted to carbon aero wheels with aluminum brake surfaces like the Campy Bella and
    the Profile wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204281599078?hash=item2f9021d466:g:TbMAAOSwIFtaTJqc&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Jn9fGS4GnxcIVtnMfV%2BV4VlQv%2Bhhrcr4p3DIU2fVsYONgGzaXSWt3lhkLNfoEVjuHw0lvL1fZq2QwJOuqHR6SMJQYQ6821kJFbkFOmTuWUPGxEMwmjP1BGRp7765z01lFdJIH4%
    2F8w0Q5ohhQ7fjU1JWvEMq3Mtu7FA630NGAMxeURCFKhmuXBsHEQXjBFK5z8swzr5IhhVry6%2BgC14XtzxuHnNKtA5nzXcMVfmMHYp0CyBa44LWpjS7FsH0h1rW0uQ4UmqMhfqpX2ZQ1ypUYj8%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5ax14v4Yg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 13 08:29:48 2023
    On Sunday, November 12, 2023 at 8:57:25 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:55:24 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote: >>>
    On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote: >>>>>> On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

failing for them.

millions of dollars.

time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

#2 Why would Toyota weld the axle housing onto the differential case when the majority of the production is 4 wheel drive which requires a hinged connection? Do you suppose they only automate the single wheel drive assembly line? There are little
    roads in Africa and China where a large part of their production goes.

This all had to do with automating bicycle construction. Metal construction is a snap. Clarence Witt built the bikes for his racing team and as a custom builder, it took more time to get the measurements from his team riders than building the bikes
    in the back of the shop. Production bikes all have standard sizes meaning that cutting the tube lengths are normally done AT THE TUBING manufacturer because otherwise you would be cutting off the butting or in the case of aluminum - you would be
    destroying the pressure forming.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9e2024_61edb531bb8f4a2599776ad36a82c462~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_566,h_424,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/9e2024_61edb531bb8f4a2599776ad36a82c462~mv2.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_0278_97b8ba6a48126aea2c57293187e86512ce257f50.jpg

automated systems do it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Andrew, I have no idea of what you think that you're talking about. I have watched many custom houses like Eisentraut and Bontrager building bikes. They were building rather large amounts of semi-custom bikes and they were NOT using induction heating.
    And construction was VERY rapid. Bontrager in particular and a machinist (a very good friend of mine) who would cut the miters which were different for each size bike and these had to be carefully cut so as not to cut too much off of the butting since
    that was the thickest part of the tube.

My present best friend went to be measured in person at Tommasini in Italy and his and his wife's bikes were built save for paint in a day. His bikes were steel lugged but he watched the Fire X being built as rapidly. My Moser Leader AX has a brazed
    frame and FORK that is a very good riding bike though it only accommodates 25 mm tires. I carefully retightened the fork on my Tommasini Fire and it now rides nearly perfectly. This bike doesn't have lugs but is brazed together at the joints and filled
    smooth. I imagine they use a disc sander to accomplish that. They are turning out hundreds of steel bikes a month.

And the carbon fiber bikes are almost as fast since all they have to do is cut the TPU forms a little differently.

Too bad that Lou didn't suggest I check that spacing screw on the front derailleur before I cut the braze-on off of the Ridley. But the adapter works perfect and it hasn't moved in the slightest. Though the rear derailleur fine adjust doesn't see to be
    easily adjusted.

But we seem to be having a lot of disagreements that have to do with nothing at all. I was left with the idea that Lou's speed drop had to do with something very specific until he said that the only other sensor he was using was his heart rate monitor.
    So his speed drop on his overpass was nothing more than radio interference. Aircraft approach radios could be possible source for that. Of being near a cell phone tower which is half the ANT+ frequency so can interfere with the ANT signal. (here's where
    Liebermann tells us that isn't possible because he has so much experience as an engineer)

But again - metal and particularly steel bikes are so inflated in value that there's no day that I would buy a new frame. It takes 3 people to build a frame and it can be done in hours if they are trained. Materials are CHEAP. (I paid $80 for steel fork
    components which included a VERY special light fork leg lug) Frame components are cheaper for no lug bikes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Mon Nov 13 11:55:55 2023
    On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 08:29:48 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

Of being near a cell phone tower which is half the ANT+ frequency so can interfere with the ANT signal. (here's where Liebermann tells us that isn't possible because he has so much experience as an engineer)

Fix your Ouija board, abacus or slide rule. ANT+ and BLE operate
    between 2400 and 2483.5 MHz. There are now many cellular bands. The
    only band for the Netherlands that is even close to 1/2 the ANT+
    frequencies is the LTE B20 (800 DD) on 791-821 MHz for downlink and
    832-962 MHz for uplink. Neither band has a 2nd harmonic that falls in
    the ANT+ range.
    <https://www.frequencycheck.com/bands/lte-band-20-800-dd>

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 13 13:19:53 2023
    On Monday, November 13, 2023 at 5:29:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote: >>>>>> On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where
    you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

failing for them.

millions of dollars.

Automated machinery is an interesting subject. Years ago I did some >>> surveys for a U.S. consulting firm and visited the Toyota factory
    time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

#2 Why would Toyota weld the axle housing onto the differential case when the majority of the production is 4 wheel drive which requires a hinged connection? Do you suppose they only automate the single wheel drive assembly line? There are little

This all had to do with automating bicycle construction. Metal construction is a snap. Clarence Witt built the bikes for his racing team and as a custom builder, it took more time to get the measurements from his team riders than building the bikes
    in the back of the shop. Production bikes all have standard sizes meaning that cutting the tube lengths are normally done AT THE TUBING manufacturer because otherwise you would be cutting off the butting or in the case of aluminum - you would be

automated systems do it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

But we seem to be having a lot of disagreements that have to do with nothing at all. I was left with the idea that Lou's speed drop had to do with something very specific until he said that the only other sensor he was using was his heart rate monitor.
    So his speed drop on his overpass was nothing more than radio interference. Aircraft approach radios could be possible source for that. Of being near a cell phone tower which is half the ANT+ frequency so can interfere with the ANT signal. (here's where
    Liebermann tells us that isn't possible because he has so much experience as an engineer)

Nope, I told you I use a speedsensor, a HRM, a power meter, a Di2 wireless sensor and a Garmin rearlight/radar on that bike but no specific cadance sensor. They all work fine on that spot except the speedsensor. My troubleshooting capabilities say that
    it has something to do with a disrupted magnetic field. How I don’t know.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Mon Nov 13 13:52:53 2023
    On Monday, November 13, 2023 at 1:19:56 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Monday, November 13, 2023 at 5:29:51 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

What do you suppose is going through the heads of people that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a bicycle frame? It is now to the point where
    you can build a steel or aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or lack of) of steel.

failing for them.
    utilities, taxes and maintenance. Then there's the tradeoff >>>>>> between time and capital tooling. Amortize those expenses

millions of dollars.

Automated machinery is an interesting subject. Years ago I did some >>> surveys for a U.S. consulting firm and visited the Toyota factory >>> here. They had just installed a new automated welding machine that >>> (from memory) welded axle housings into the deferential housing. I >>> made a comment about how it must be cheaper then employing skilled >>> welders and they replied, "Yes. And it makes perfect welds every
    time".
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

This all had to do with automating bicycle construction. Metal construction is a snap. Clarence Witt built the bikes for his racing team and as a custom builder, it took more time to get the measurements from his team riders than building the
    bikes in the back of the shop. Production bikes all have standard sizes meaning that cutting the tube lengths are normally done AT THE TUBING manufacturer because otherwise you would be cutting off the butting or in the case of aluminum - you would be

automated systems do it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

But we seem to be having a lot of disagreements that have to do with nothing at all. I was left with the idea that Lou's speed drop had to do with something very specific until he said that the only other sensor he was using was his heart rate
    monitor. So his speed drop on his overpass was nothing more than radio interference. Aircraft approach radios could be possible source for that. Of being near a cell phone tower which is half the ANT+ frequency so can interfere with the ANT signal. (here'
    s where Liebermann tells us that isn't possible because he has so much experience as an engineer)
    Nope, I told you I use a speedsensor, a HRM, a power meter, a Di2 wireless sensor and a Garmin rearlight/radar on that bike but no specific cadance sensor. They all work fine on that spot except the speedsensor. My troubleshooting capabilities say that
    it has something to do with a disrupted magnetic field. How I don’t know.

Lou

Lou, in all likelihood you wouldn't notice any change in anything but your speed reading. Radio interference doesn't have to be exactly on same frequency as ANT+ and the encoding of signals and the reaction to dead spots can be different from sensor to
    sensor. Something like a cell tower can block ALL radio signals up close as could aircraft landing radio and radar. Would you notice a drop in your heart rate if you were looking at your speed? The speed sensor is most likely to fall with interference
    blocking the very short range of ANT+. There is always the possibility that you have some sort of serious magnetic anomaly at that point but I would doubt it given all of the other problems with low power transmissions.

There are so likely for errors to occur that SRAM and Shimano wireless use their own protocols and power levels.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Mon Nov 13 18:44:17 2023
    On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:52:53 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

Lou, in all likelihood you wouldn't notice any change in anything but your speed reading. Radio interference doesn't have to be exactly on same frequency as ANT+ and the encoding of signals and the reaction to dead spots can be different from sensor to
    sensor. Something like a cell tower can block ALL radio signals up close as could aircraft landing radio and radar. Would you notice a drop in your heart rate if you were looking at your speed? The speed sensor is most likely to fall with interference
    blocking the very short range of ANT+. There is always the possibility that you have some sort of serious magnetic anomaly at that point but I would doubt it given all of the other problems with low power transmissions.

Nope. Even the commodity smartphone can transmit on a wide variety of
    cellular bands while simultaneously moving data on the
    Wi-Fi/BlueTooth/BLE/ANT+ band(s). If there was any interaction, we
    would hear customers and organizations complain to the FCC for
    regulatory relief. Ligado (formerly LightSquared) is a good example
    of what can happen if interference is discovered:
    "New 5G exemption may jam GPS devices" (Aug 2020) <https://pubs.aip.org/physicstoday/article/73/8/22/856803/New-5G-exemption-may-jam-GPS-devicesOpposition-in>

The term "blocking" has a very specific meaning when discussing RF
    system. It refers to the reduction in receiver sensitivity when a
    very strong, off frequency, nearby transmitter causes the receiver
    front end amplifier to rectify this strong signal. That changes the
    bias on the active input devices, which eventually causes a reduction
    in receiver sensitivity, BER (bit error rate) or both. The safest
    place to avoid such a problem is directly under the cell tower, where
    the radiation from the antennas on the tower are minimal.

There are so likely for errors to occur that SRAM and Shimano wireless use their own protocols and power levels.

Really? Do SRAM and Shimano really have their very own BLE and ANT+
    protocols? For power levels, can they simply ignore the government
    regulatory bodies (FCC and Conformité Européenne) and contrive their
    own power levels? I don't think so. So where do I find a copy of the proprietary SRAM and Shimano BLE and ANT+ protocols?

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to John B. on Wed Nov 15 13:29:14 2023

wrote:

that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing >>>>> and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a
    bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or >>>>> aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super
    lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now >>>>> building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or
    lack of) of steel.

can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like >>>>> running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at >>>>> all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to >>>>> friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on >>>>> the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal
    manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing >>>>> for them.

The idea that rim brakes are on par with disk in the wet, is ridiculous >>>> really.

The kids locally use there trainers to near lock the rear wheel, down the
    local near vertical hill.

providing and stopping then becomes a matter of the tires and the
    pavement. Or the mud I suppose (:-)

A awful lot of my riding is on tarmac, even so disks are useful as ever not >> needed but a nice want, for the commute itÂ’s a lot easier and less
    maintenance, on the gravel bike even on paved roads, fair bit more control >> and power, again thatÂ’s like rather than need.

Roger Merriman

This "less maintenance" thing is, honestly, rather puzzling. I've been
    riding with rim brakes for somewhere in the region of 40 years or

In the same way that Tom’s unbelievable top speeds, the idea that in the
    dry your locking wheels with rims and sliding down the road wheels locked
    even with something as woefully grippy as Gatorskins isn’t believable,
    being able to get the rear to start to scrub is one thing and to feel the
    bike start to endo is one thing locking is another all together.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Roger Merriman on Wed Nov 15 08:08:23 2023
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 5:29:18 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:35:48 GMT, Roger Merriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
    wrote:

On Saturday, November 11, 2023 at 8:01:59?AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote: >>>>>>> On 11/11/2023 9:50 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    that think that a little more than one hour's labor welding or brazing >>>>> and $100 worth of materials. would allow them to charge $7500 for a >>>>> bicycle frame? It is now to the point where you can build a steel or >>>>> aluminum bike in the larger sizes to the UCI weight limit and super >>>>> lightweight is losing it's appeal to racing teams where they are now >>>>> building racing carbon fiber frames to the mimic the stiffness (or >>>>> lack of) of steel.

I don't like disc brakes and I certainly do not agree that they >>>>> can stop you any better than rim brakes wet or dry. I also do not like >>>>> running hoses for hydraulic brakes on a bicycle which unlike
    automobiles can be involved in very minor "accidents" (like falling >>>>> over at the coffee shop) and break a line leaving you with no brake at >>>>> all on that line. If the brake hose gets loose from the plastic
    glue-on, it can also rub against the tire and rub a hole in it due to >>>>> friction. This is another thing to inspect before a ride. Of course on >>>>> the latest bikes the hoses, like the wires, are completely internal >>>>> but new bike sales are now in the trash can due to the prices that >>>>> manufacturers think that they can charge. That will be a major failing >>>>> for them.

The idea that rim brakes are on par with disk in the wet, is ridiculous >>>> really.

I'm not so sure about that, if you limit it to "in the wet" as I had a >>> bike with "V brakes" that would lock either or both wheels coasting

The kids locally use there trainers to near lock the rear wheel, down the >> local near vertical hill.

I can if if wish (but why?) lock the wheels on the MTB and by that I do >> mean lock the wheels not simply slow or reach tip over point.

providing and stopping then becomes a matter of the tires and the pavement. Or the mud I suppose (:-)

really, truly, emergency stop. With rim, probably side pull, brakes I >>> was in traffic and a taxi stopped in front of me. Cars on both side so >>> couldn't turn to avoid the taxi. I grabbed the brakes and the rear
    wheel came off the ground which scared me even more, I eased up on the >>> brakes and hit the taxi although at a much slower speed.

Note that I'm being very specific in my comments here. If you want to >>> go wandering off in the muck and mire then perhaps discs are superior. >>> I really don't know as I figure that as the Highway Gods have given us >>> paved roads I'll use them.

A awful lot of my riding is on tarmac, even so disks are useful as ever not
    needed but a nice want, for the commute it’s a lot easier and less
    maintenance, on the gravel bike even on paved roads, fair bit more control
    and power, again that’s like rather than need.

Roger Merriman

This "less maintenance" thing is, honestly, rather puzzling. I've been riding with rim brakes for somewhere in the region of 40 years or

In the same way that Tom’s unbelievable top speeds, the idea that in the dry your locking wheels with rims and sliding down the road wheels locked even with something as woefully grippy as Gatorskins isn’t believable, being able to get the rear to start to scrub is one thing and to feel the bike start to endo is one thing locking is another all together.

Roger Merriman

I explained that my recorded speed turned out to be forgetting to turn my Garmin off when returning from the ride, we returned via a car. I haven't the slightest idea of where you ride but a 10% grade is more than enough to ride more than 60 mph and pro'
    s do it all of the time in the proper conditions.

One of the things that I have done MANY times in my riding career is lock the front wheel completely. I even have to be careful not to do this in several places in the immediate area. There is a drop down Golf Links Rd that at the bottom intersection
    with Foothill Rd., you have to apply the brakes so hard at the 18% grade that you can EASILY lock the front wheel and have to be careful not to.

Really, you are giving me the idea that you don't ride the road at all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 15 11:39:34 2023
    On 11/15/2023 11:08 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

One of the things that I have done MANY times in my riding career is lock the front wheel completely. I even have to be careful not to do this in several places in the immediate area. There is a drop down Golf Links Rd that at the bottom intersection
    with Foothill Rd., you have to apply the brakes so hard at the 18% grade that you can EASILY lock the front wheel and have to be careful not to.

You lock your front wheel while on dry pavement on a steep downhill and
    you don't go over the bars?

No way.

If you're sure, despite physics, please get a friend to video you as you demonstrate. It would benefit the discussion group.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Roger Merriman on Wed Nov 15 11:35:50 2023
    On 11/15/2023 8:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:

In the same way that Tom’s unbelievable top speeds, the idea that in the dry your locking wheels with rims and sliding down the road wheels locked even with something as woefully grippy as Gatorskins isn’t believable...

Agreed. With anything resembling a normal single bicycle, it's
    physically impossible.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05