• FSA 19 mm Crankset Remover

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 8 11:21:24 2023
    The frameset I bought had the FSA crankset still in. Well, it appears that is because it is more or less jammed in there. Does anyone know how to get it out? I uses a Campy tool to try and jam it in between the left side crank and the bottom bracket. I
    looks to me like it did go in but the left side crank arm and does not appear to have loosened on the shaft and the usual wiggling of the right (drive) side chain rings does feel a slight wiggling but no motion.

I tried partially threading in the left side bolt and using a rubber mallet cautiously and that appeared to also do nothing. The shaft appears to be stuck on the left side crank arm. Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 8 12:36:49 2023
    On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 11:21:26 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
    The frameset I bought had the FSA crankset still in. Well, it appears that is because it is more or less jammed in there. Does anyone know how to get it out? I uses a Campy tool to try and jam it in between the left side crank and the bottom bracket. I
    looks to me like it did go in but the left side crank arm and does not appear to have loosened on the shaft and the usual wiggling of the right (drive) side chain rings does feel a slight wiggling but no motion.

I tried partially threading in the left side bolt and using a rubber mallet cautiously and that appeared to also do nothing. The shaft appears to be stuck on the left side crank arm. Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

I contacted FSA and support told me that the puller was built in. I immediately remembered that I had the pin tool for tightening the cap screw and the 10 mm wrench pulled the crankset right off. It's hell not being able to remember these things. Looks
    like I'm going to have to replace the bottom bracket bearings. I will have to pull it off and see it the bearings can be replaced without damaging the BB.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 8 13:35:38 2023
    On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 12:36:51 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 11:21:26 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
    The frameset I bought had the FSA crankset still in. Well, it appears that is because it is more or less jammed in there. Does anyone know how to get it out? I uses a Campy tool to try and jam it in between the left side crank and the bottom bracket.
    I looks to me like it did go in but the left side crank arm and does not appear to have loosened on the shaft and the usual wiggling of the right (drive) side chain rings does feel a slight wiggling but no motion.

I contacted FSA and support told me that the puller was built in. I immediately remembered that I had the pin tool for tightening the cap screw and the 10 mm wrench pulled the crankset right off. It's hell not being able to remember these things. Looks
    like I'm going to have to replace the bottom bracket bearings. I will have to pull it off and see it the bearings can be replaced without damaging the BB.
    Given a shot of Teflon lube, the noise and friction went away, the bearings ran smoothly and there was no noise. The 105 crank inserted right in and I used the FSA wave washer to set the preload.

The 105 weighs only .4 lbs exactly more than the K-lite FSA crank. For a quarter of the price if you're buying new

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05