• 12 speed problems

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 4 15:31:34 2023
    I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

That didn't work so well, the large ring worked OK but the small ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a 105 12 speed chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the 175's.
    Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs are
    TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

So even though it was only 2" difference in crank length it made a hell of a difference.

When I got home some woman wanted to buy my Basso Lotto frameset. So I'm taking the wife out to dinner. That woman lives in San Francisco and is taller than I am. And she seemed to know bicycles. So she knew what she wanted and being a woman she had
    longer legs than I have to it ought to fit her well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Nov 4 15:52:47 2023
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

That didn't work so well, the large ring worked OK but the small ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a 105 12 speed chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the 175's.
    Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs are
    TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

So even though it was only 2" difference in crank length it made a hell of a difference.

Two inch difference? It is 2.5 mm difference that is 0.1 inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t be making a hell of a difference.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sat Nov 4 20:46:22 2023
    On 11/4/2023 6:52 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

Two inch difference? It is 2.5 mm difference that is 0.1 inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t be making a hell of a difference.

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be
    VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 5 08:38:05 2023
    On 11/4/2023 5:31 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

When I got home some woman wanted to buy my Basso Lotto frameset. So I'm taking the wife out to dinner. That woman lives in San Francisco and is taller than I am. And she seemed to know bicycles. So she knew what she wanted and being a woman she had

I raise an eyebrow at the idea of feeling 2.5mm crank length
    difference. Unlikely.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sun Nov 5 07:35:41 2023
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

Lou
    I meant 0.2" . If you don't believe that to be a lot, lift your seat post by that amount and try to ride.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 5 08:08:23 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 4:35:43 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the 175'
    s. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs are

Lou
    I meant 0.2" . If you don't believe that to be a lot, lift your seat post by that amount and try to ride.

It is 2.5 mm difference, that is 0.1”. If I raise my saddle 2.5 mm I will notice that in the beginning but it will not make a hell of a difference and after 10 minutes I will be used to it. It is the same difference you feel when wearing different
    shoes or socks.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Rider@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 11:41:45 2023
    On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:38:05 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

difference. Unlikely.

+1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Sun Nov 5 08:49:24 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 8:08:25 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the
    175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs
    are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

Lou
    It is 2.5 mm difference, that is 0.1”. If I raise my saddle 2.5 mm I will notice that in the beginning but it will not make a hell of a difference and after 10 minutes I will be used to it. It is the same difference you feel when wearing different
    shoes or socks.

Lou
    Lou, that is 2.5 mm at the bottom and lifting your leg another 2.5 mm at the top. that is a 5 mm difference in the crank throw. As I said, if you think that is nothing TRY lifting your saddle height by almost half an inch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 5 12:01:50 2023
    On 11/5/2023 10:49 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the 175'
    s. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs are

Lou
    shoes or socks.

Lou
    Lou, that is 2.5 mm at the bottom and lifting your leg another 2.5 mm at the top. that is a 5 mm difference in the crank throw. As I said, if you think that is nothing TRY lifting your saddle height by almost half an inch.

Total diameter 5mm, about 3/16" (not 'half an inch'=8/16").

In testing at USOC, athletes not only could not tell which
    length cranks were fitted, and did not notice mismatched
    lengths, but performance did not change with crank length
    (for values of 165mm through 175mm).
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 10:19:37 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 10:01:53 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the
    175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my legs
    are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

Lou
    shoes or socks.

Lou

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Andrew, that is pure bullshit. Rather than reading the propaganda of someone else try this yourself. I rode 175's forever and my knees always hurt for the first half hour of riding until they warmed up and loosened. The second I changed to 172.5 that
    went entirely away. If you really believe the USOC by all means ride some 175's and then change to 165's and see if there's no difference.

As for the crank length - you are correct but I feel it plainly. Or painfully. Today my legs have pain from cramping last night. And this was a flat ride.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 5 13:18:08 2023
    On 11/5/2023 12:19 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>>>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

Lou
    shoes or socks.

Lou

Andrew, that is pure bullshit. Rather than reading the propaganda of someone else try this yourself. I rode 175's forever and my knees always hurt for the first half hour of riding until they warmed up and loosened. The second I changed to 172.5 that
    went entirely away. If you really believe the USOC by all means ride some 175's and then change to 165's and see if there's no difference.

As for the crank length - you are correct but I feel it plainly. Or painfully. Today my legs have pain from cramping last night. And this was a flat ride.

Others cannot repeat that experience for those values: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11417428/

Extreme crank lengths (outside of the common 165~175) do matter.

Personally I ride 165 and 170 fixed and 167.5 and 172 free
    but can't say one is better than another or even different
    in any noticeable way. I'm reasonably sure I could not feel
    a pea under a mattress either. YMMV.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 12:42:58 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 11:18:11 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 8:08:25 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>> On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 4:35:43 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

Lou
    It is 2.5 mm difference, that is 0.1”. If I raise my saddle 2.5 mm I will notice that in the beginning but it will not make a hell of a difference and after 10 minutes I will be used to it. It is the same difference you feel when wearing
    different shoes or socks.

Lou

Others cannot repeat that experience for those values: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11417428/

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    The study you cited really seems to say other than what you're interpreting it to be: "Power produced with the 145- and 170-mm cranks was significantly (P < 0.05) greater than that produced with the 120- and 220-mm cranks" and "These data suggest that
    pedal speed (which constrains muscle shortening velocity) and pedaling rate (which affects muscle excitation state) exert distinct effects that influence muscular power during cycling."

It also suggests that 170 mm are good for "most adults" whereas at 6'4" I'm hardly in the category of "average".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wolfgang Strobl@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 5 21:54:52 2023
    Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:01:50 -0600 schrieb AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>:

Perhaps. But I don't see wy I shouldn't select the best fitting length
    if there is a choice. In addition, not everybody is an athlete and
    young. Performance isn't the only criterium.

I built my wifes bike with a 160 mm crank, mine using a 172.5 mm one. I definitively noticed the difference, while test riding her bike. That's
    a 12.5mm difference though, not just 2.5mm.

--
    Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Wolfgang Strobl on Sun Nov 5 13:08:30 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 12:56:11 PM UTC-8, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
    Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:01:50 -0600 schrieb AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>:

I built my wifes bike with a 160 mm crank, mine using a 172.5 mm one. I definitively noticed the difference, while test riding her bike. That's

--

I have a very strong suspicion that young people like "trained cyclists" are a great deal less likely to feel problems with crank lengths. Another study on "Effects of Pedal Speed and Crank Length on Pedaling Mechanics during Submaximal Cycling" Shows
    that the joint loadings are substantially different in their loadings due to crank length. Now I didn't seem to have any trouble with crank length until I hit 70 at which point I began noticing that I was requiring a warm-up time of about 30 minutes
    before I could ride easily with the 175 mm cranks. Dropping to the 172.5 mm immediately reduced this to nothing.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26559455/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sun Nov 5 15:12:59 2023
    On 11/5/2023 2:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 8:08:25 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>> On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 4:35:43 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou
    It is 2.5 mm difference, that is 0.1”. If I raise my saddle 2.5 mm I will notice that in the beginning but it will not make a hell of a difference and after 10 minutes I will be used to it. It is the same difference you feel when wearing

Lou

Others cannot repeat that experience for those values:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11417428/

The study you cited really seems to say other than what you're interpreting it to be: "Power produced with the 145- and 170-mm cranks was significantly (P < 0.05) greater than that produced with the 120- and 220-mm cranks" and "These data suggest that
    pedal speed (which constrains muscle shortening velocity) and pedaling rate (which affects muscle excitation state) exert distinct effects that influence muscular power during cycling."

It also suggests that 170 mm are good for "most adults" whereas at 6'4" I'm hardly in the category of "average".

120mm to 170mm is a very significant length difference. Can
    we agree on that?
    And yes, for significant (+41.66%) crank length difference,
    efficiency differences were found.

170mm to 172.5mm is a scant 1.47% variance. meh.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 13:21:34 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 1:13:02 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    On 11/5/2023 2:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 8:08:25 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>> On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 4:35:43 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin
    the 175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my
    legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

Lou

Lou

Andrew, that is pure bullshit. Rather than reading the propaganda of someone else try this yourself. I rode 175's forever and my knees always hurt for the first half hour of riding until they warmed up and loosened. The second I changed to 172.5
    that went entirely away. If you really believe the USOC by all means ride some 175's and then change to 165's and see if there's no difference.

Others cannot repeat that experience for those values:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11417428/

The study you cited really seems to say other than what you're interpreting it to be: "Power produced with the 145- and 170-mm cranks was significantly (P < 0.05) greater than that produced with the 120- and 220-mm cranks" and "These data suggest
    that pedal speed (which constrains muscle shortening velocity) and pedaling rate (which affects muscle excitation state) exert distinct effects that influence muscular power during cycling."

120mm to 170mm is a very significant length difference. Can
    we agree on that?
    And yes, for significant (+41.66%) crank length difference,
    efficiency differences were found.

170mm to 172.5mm is a scant 1.47% variance. meh.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

If this was really true that crank length has little to no effect are you saying that it is all my imagination that the 175 mm cranks were VERY uncomfortable for me to ride? And I was riding in the same rear cog as normal.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it is probably a matter of age, but I thought that you and I were close to the same age.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Wolfgang Strobl on Sun Nov 5 13:15:52 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 12:56:11 PM UTC-8, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

--

I should also say that there is a tricky note here and there though these crank length tests - they COMPENSATE for distance traveled in the pedaling circle by reducing or increasing cadence with crank lengths. So they mean that there is an optimal
    cadence for every rider for each crank length.

With my problem yesterday, I couldn't get my cadence up to my normal rate using the 175's This means that the loading on the muscles was enough different that I was not liking it though the maximal speed seemed about the same as normal on that 25 mile
    ride. But I am sure without a doubt that longer distances would have become painful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Wolfgang Strobl on Sun Nov 5 15:23:02 2023
    On 11/5/2023 2:54 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

Yes, whatever you prefer for any reason or for no reason.
    I'm not advising here.

That said, it was a conversation with Mr Brandt some twenty
    years ago which piqued my curiosity about real world effects
    of our small crank increments (1.5% roughly) compared to
    rider population variance in leg length. What few tests
    there are find output differences fr extreme crank length
    variance (as one would expect) but not within our normal
    2.5mm window.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/crank-length-test/
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 13:32:02 2023
    On Sunday, November 5, 2023 at 1:23:05 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

I'm not advising here.

2.5mm window.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    I quoted an article earlier that showed that small differences in crank length seemed to make quite measurable loadings on different joints. I am a more active than normal rider and I don't seem to have any trouble with my joints but the muscles
    supporting those joints may be just as sensitive.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Merriman@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Sun Nov 5 22:14:47 2023
    AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 3:52:49 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings >>>>>> on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth >>>>>> are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

That didn't work so well, the large ring worked OK but the small
    ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a 105 12 speed >>>>>> chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the FSA
    cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so I didn't >>>>>> bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot that I changed to >>>>>> a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the 175's. Well THAT sure
    reminded me. So not only was I stuck in the large ring, but the
    cranks were too long. My average speed on today's flat ride was a
    little slower than normal but not any more than I might expect from >>>>>> riding with shingles. But my legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with >>>>>> kept pulling away from me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

So even though it was only 2" difference in crank length it made a >>>>>> hell of a difference.
    Two inch difference? It is 2.5 mm difference that is 0.1 inch. Stop
    using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift the decimal
    point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t be making a hell of a difference.

Lou
    I meant 0.2" . If you don't believe that to be a lot, lift your seat
    post by that amount and try to ride.
    It is 2.5 mm difference, that is 0.1”. If I raise my saddle 2.5 mm I
    will notice that in the beginning but it will not make a hell of a
    difference and after 10 minutes I will be used to it. It is the same
    difference you feel when wearing different shoes or socks.

Lou
    Lou, that is 2.5 mm at the bottom and lifting your leg another 2.5 mm at
    the top. that is a 5 mm difference in the crank throw. As I said, if you
    think that is nothing TRY lifting your saddle height by almost half an inch.

Interesting crank lengths does get commented but well I’m not in the habit
    of changing cranks unless I need to, plus for me it just works.

But I hear the chatter!

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 6 08:09:15 2023
    On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 08:38:05 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

difference. Unlikely.

Well, why not? After all, Frank claimed to know about firearms, after
    all he fired a .22 a couple of times. Minimum, exposure, in this case
    crank arm length, doesn't preclude imaginary beliefs (:-)

--
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wolfgang Strobl@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 6 13:30:33 2023
    Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:23:02 -0600 schrieb AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>:

I built my wifes bike with a 160 mm crank, mine using a 172.5 mm one. I
    definitively noticed the difference, while test riding her bike. That's

It's not just preferences or about wether we notice differences or not.

- Efficiency isn't the main and only criterium. We are old and insofar
    our muscles, ligaments and joints aren't as adaptable anymore

- In the end, it depends on the leg length and the angle between
    maximum and minimum extension that the knee joint, ligaments and the
    muscles still allow. That's what we were told during a bike fitting

- Smartypants advice on the internet, which mainly comes from tall,
    young cyclists or is aimed at them, is rather misleading

I'm not advising here.

Me neither, as far as the decision for a certain crank length is
    concerned. But I advise against generalizing from reports you cited
    above.

2.5mm window.

This is almost as far from what what I'd consider the relevant point, in
    our case. They are measuring and comparing FTP for varying crank lengths
    for a singe person, Dave, over a range of crank lengths between 145 cm
    and 175 cm, noticing that he could addapt from his road bike crank (175
    cm) to a 145 cm crank, after a while, after some training doing a mostly offroad trail ride. That doesn't tell anything about whether an older,
    much smaller and less strong person could - or should - adapt in the
    opposite direction, say, from 160 cm to a 175 cm crank length. We both
    are much shorter, having a much shorter inseam. I've installed a 172.5
    cm crank on my new bike, because I'm used to that for decades of regular riding, but reduced my wifes crank a little bit, from 165 mm to 160 mm,
    because our new bikes have a much shorter minimum unfolding than the now thirteen-year-old racing bikes and because I could easily reduce that
    even more by just replacing the front chainring by a smaller one.

Speaking about Jobst, he was a tall person, as far as I remember. As
    much as I appreciated Jobst's many insights, even he was not always able
    to think outside his box and abstract from his physical abilities and preferences. He was active in the German language newsgroup
    de.rec.fahrrad, too, between 1993 and 1999, but somewhat lost interest,
    later.

--
    Thank you for observing all safety precautions

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Wolfgang Strobl on Mon Nov 6 07:54:15 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 4:31:57 AM UTC-8, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
    Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:23:02 -0600 schrieb AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>:

Am Sun, 5 Nov 2023 12:01:50 -0600 schrieb AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>: >>

I built my wifes bike with a 160 mm crank, mine using a 172.5 mm one. I >> definitively noticed the difference, while test riding her bike. That's >> a 12.5mm difference though, not just 2.5mm.

It's not just preferences or about wether we notice differences or not.

- Efficiency isn't the main and only criterium. We are old and insofar
    our muscles, ligaments and joints aren't as adaptable anymore

- In the end, it depends on the leg length and the angle between
    maximum and minimum extension that the knee joint, ligaments and the
    muscles still allow. That's what we were told during a bike fitting

- Smartypants advice on the internet, which mainly comes from tall,
    young cyclists or is aimed at them, is rather misleading
    I'm not advising here.
    Me neither, as far as the decision for a certain crank length is
    concerned. But I advise against generalizing from reports you cited
    above.

2.5mm window.

This is almost as far from what what I'd consider the relevant point, in
    our case. They are measuring and comparing FTP for varying crank lengths
    for a singe person, Dave, over a range of crank lengths between 145 cm
    and 175 cm, noticing that he could addapt from his road bike crank (175
    cm) to a 145 cm crank, after a while, after some training doing a mostly offroad trail ride. That doesn't tell anything about whether an older,
    much smaller and less strong person could - or should - adapt in the opposite direction, say, from 160 cm to a 175 cm crank length. We both
    are much shorter, having a much shorter inseam. I've installed a 172.5
    cm crank on my new bike, because I'm used to that for decades of regular riding, but reduced my wifes crank a little bit, from 165 mm to 160 mm, because our new bikes have a much shorter minimum unfolding than the now thirteen-year-old racing bikes and because I could easily reduce that
    even more by just replacing the front chainring by a smaller one.

Speaking about Jobst, he was a tall person, as far as I remember. As
    much as I appreciated Jobst's many insights, even he was not always able
    to think outside his box and abstract from his physical abilities and preferences. He was active in the German language newsgroup
    de.rec.fahrrad, too, between 1993 and 1999, but somewhat lost interest, later.

--
    Thank you for observing all safety precautions
    Jobst was 198 cm tall and rode this ridiculous 65 or 66 cm bike. As far as I could see the very idea of considering modifying his riding to accommodate those of the absolute beginners he attracted to his rides through these groups never crossed his mind
    for an instant and those who were here saw his reaction to my mentioning that putting lesser riders in danger isn't a particularly good thing to do. Thinking I lived with my mother he published her address as mine. Which was soon followed by his lackeys'
    finding another address nearby of another unrelated Tom Kunich and publishing that. Garbage was strewn all over the porch of my mother and I expect likewise upon the porch of the other Tom Kunich because that is what lackeys do.

No doubt Jobst who probably otherwise was a good man and father and a good engineer couldn't take the least criticism of his actions. The surprising thing is that people here that never knew anything about him except what he wrote here and in his book
    are willing to defend his actions as good and proper when the people that were here at that time were insulted that he did such a thing and left the groups so much that only RBT is left as an operating group.

The fact that Krygowski claims to have not agreed with Brandt and said so at the time is surprising as well since I have put him in the class of Brandt lackey and would only have done so if he were kissing Jobst ass at the time. That Krygowski's actions
    have come back to haunt him is probably not something Krygowski considered at the time and hardly expected now. It merely means that you must be truthful all of the time even if your beliefs are incorrect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pH@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Mon Nov 6 19:16:12 2023
    On 2023-11-05, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of which I make
    so many.

But anyway, I went from 170 to 175's and subjectively they felt much more
    open to me and I've since standardized on them. I've never tried 180 or

Being a big galoot, I don't spin all that fast, but I'm not a masher,
    either.

pH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 6 12:38:41 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 8:16:16 PM UTC+1, pH wrote:
    On 2023-11-05, Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses.

Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of which I make so many.

If it is so critical as Tom says the difference between 175 mm and 172.5 mm cranks is 2.5 mm and not 2 mm. Even for an Usian that is not that difficult. But what Tom meant, if I understand him correctly, is the height difference in top dead center
    between these cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA inch.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 6 13:40:31 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 11:16:16 AM UTC-8, pH wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses.

Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of which I make so many.

But anyway, I went from 170 to 175's and subjectively they felt much more open to me and I've since standardized on them. I've never tried 180 or

Being a big galoot, I don't spin all that fast, but I'm not a masher, either.

I used to be a big gear masher but that all changed as I got older and was trying to keep up with the group. I soon learned that I could start spinning and overrun the fast guys. Last Saturday when I tried to ride the 175's it was just plain painful.
    This was a flat ride in which I wouldn't normally change gears on the entire ride.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Mon Nov 6 13:55:24 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 12:38:43 PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of which I make
    so many.
    If it is so critical as Tom says the difference between 175 mm and 172.5 mm cranks is 2.5 mm and not 2 mm. Even for an Usian that is not that difficult. But what Tom meant, if I understand him correctly, is the height difference in top dead center
    between these cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA inch.

Lou

Andrew just quoted some studies that were somewhat misleading. While they SAID that crank arm length didn't effect power output it was sort of covered up that crank arm length changed the pedal speed and so you had to correct your cadence to achieve the
    same power. In Andrew's reference there were other references to "studies" that said the same thing. Now maybe you can easily change your cadence at where you make your maximum power easily but wait until you're 79 before you tell me that it doesn't make
    any difference.

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth. This is NOT "the American System" but the English
    system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary system from.

I use the metric system occasionally to humor people with poor math skills. But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make it easy to work with.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Radey Shouman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 17:20:38 2023
    Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> writes:

On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >> > >>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain
    rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower
    but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even
    though it might wear itself narrower).

That didn't work so well, the large ring worked OK but the
    small ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a
    105 12 speed chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the
    FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so
    I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot
    that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the
    175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in
    the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed
    on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not
    any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my
    legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from
    me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

So even though it was only 2" difference in crank length it
    made a hell of a difference.

Two inch difference? It is 2.5 mm difference that is 0.1
    inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift
    the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t
    be making a hell of a difference.

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be >> > > VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses. >> > >
    Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of
    which I make
    so many.
    If it is so critical as Tom says the difference between 175 mm and
    172.5 mm cranks is 2.5 mm and not 2 mm. Even for an Usian that is
    not that difficult. But what Tom meant, if I understand him
    correctly, is the height difference in top dead center between these
    cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which
    is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA
    inch.

Lou

Andrew just quoted some studies that were somewhat misleading. While
    they SAID that crank arm length didn't effect power output it was sort
    of covered up that crank arm length changed the pedal speed and so you
    had to correct your cadence to achieve the same power. In Andrew's
    reference there were other references to "studies" that said the same
    thing. Now maybe you can easily change your cadence at where you make
    your maximum power easily but wait until you're 79 before you tell me
    that it doesn't make any difference.

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse
    system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic
    and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and
    forth. This is NOT "the American System" but the English
    system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the
    modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes
    quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches
    "American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

I use the metric system occasionally to humor people with poor math
    skills. But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make
    it easy to work with.

One inch is currently equal to *exactly* 25.4 mm, by definition. There
    are no primary standards for English units.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Mon Nov 6 14:39:37 2023
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:55:24 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
    <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth. This is NOT "the American System" but the English
    system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary system from.

<https://www.metricmetal.com/history-of-the-metric-system/>
    1957: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps adopted the metric system. Used
    as the basis for their weapons and equipment.

NASA is all metric after the Mars Climate Orbiter crashed due to a
    mixup of units. <https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/>

Unfortunately, the USAF still uses a mixture of units from both the
    imperial and metric systems.

1988: Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act. This
    act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric
    system for business by the end of 1992.

The US medical system is all metric.
    US motor vehicles are all metric.
    US packaged foods are marked in both imperial and metric, but are
    increasingly bought and sold in metric units.

IBM PC based computers and descendents are a mixture. The two main
    hardware threads are M3 and 6-32 UNC.

More:
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States>

I use the metric system occasionally to humor people with poor math skills.

That doesn't seem to be working well for your arithmetic abilities.

But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make it easy to work with.

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in
    common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill>

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Radey Shouman on Mon Nov 6 14:46:23 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 2:20:42 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
    Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> writes:

I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain

which I make
    so many.
    inch.

Lou

had to correct your cadence to achieve the same power. In Andrew's reference there were other references to "studies" that said the same thing. Now maybe you can easily change your cadence at where you make

modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.
    The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches "American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.
    I use the metric system occasionally to humor people with poor math skills. But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make
    it easy to work with.

That does NOT set the length of an inch but rather the length of a meter. While the 1826 or whatever English system was founded as some sort of local lengths and measures, the US system evolved into lengths compatible with astronomical data such as the
    circumference of the earth at latitude zero and not something entirely out of sync with the world like the exact number of red wavelength of light.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Jeff Liebermann on Mon Nov 6 17:08:17 2023
    On 11/6/2023 4:39 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

mixup of units. <https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/>

US packaged foods are marked in both imperial and metric, but are increasingly bought and sold in metric units.

More:

But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make it easy to work with.

things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Regarding legislation. I asked a customer (president of a
    large builder) about the Clinton era stipulation that
    government buildings henceforth shall be of metric
    dimensions. I wondered if his suppliers conformed.

He laughed. When he stopped he said they hadn't changed
    anything except to add a software function so their plotters
    could make metric versions of their usual plans, e.g, a 36
    inch window is marked as 901mm and so on.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 6 15:29:14 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 3:08:20 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
    <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth. This is NOT "the American System" but the
    English system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary system from.

Unfortunately, the USAF still uses a mixture of units from both the imperial and metric systems.

US packaged foods are marked in both imperial and metric, but are increasingly bought and sold in metric units.

IBM PC based computers and descendents are a mixture. The two main hardware threads are M3 and 6-32 UNC.

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

The metric system was INVENTED by an Englishman who I suppose thought the common man too stupid to use the English system and would rather use things evenly divisible by 10. That the English really didn't fall for that was shown by the way the French
    decided to use it and the rest of Europe followed in their footsteps. Bonaparte was not particularly intelligent about anything other than taking advantage of the failings of others. So it seems that it was passed on to all of the French. By what metric
    measure is a loaf of bread?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 17:53:33 2023
    On 11/6/2023 5:29 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth. This is NOT "the American System" but the
    English system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary system from.

mixup of units.
    <https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/>

More:

things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

The metric system was INVENTED by an Englishman who I suppose thought the common man too stupid to use the English system and would rather use things evenly divisible by 10. That the English really didn't fall for that was shown by the way the French
    decided to use it and the rest of Europe followed in their footsteps. Bonaparte was not particularly intelligent about anything other than taking advantage of the failings of others. So it seems that it was passed on to all of the French. By what metric

Our modern culture incorporates Sumerian root base-12
    systems, decimal and others (360 degree geometry and
    astronomy). There's no inherent 'better' beyond familiarity
    in most cases. But you have to admit there are real
    conveniences in metric, such as tap drill sizes (dia minus
    advancement) and wrench sizes (10x advancement). Try that in
    British Whitworth or SAE (which replaced National and
    Unified and before that Sellers and...). At least metric is
    a bit more stable now that French metric has died and left
    DIN and JIS dominant.

Had you grown up using stone rather than pounds you would
    view them as normal and familiar. Ditto kilos.

Being immersed in bicycles, an American dimensioned lathe
    and a lot of 60 year old autos, I can slip easily between
    systems. I cook in a mix of both systems where applicable,
    doesn't make trouble at all. That's not different from a
    22mm diameter cam specified to a -9 degree open (mixed
    systems again)

Would the world be more orderly with a universal system?
    Probably. But that's not where we live. Deal with it.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to shouman@comcast.net on Tue Nov 7 07:24:25 2023
    On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 17:20:38 -0500, Radey Shouman
    <shouman@comcast.net> wrote:

On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 12:38:43?PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 8:16:16?PM UTC+1, pH wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>> > >>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain

the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm cant

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be >>> > > VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses. >>> > >
    which I make
    so many.
    inch.

Lou

modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of
    measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes >quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches >"American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

it easy to work with.

" Mickey, after all, was invented here." ???

I even did a google search and according to the Cambridge Dictionary -
    which I believe is as "British" as it is possible to be "Mickey" has
    two meanings

Mickey - a drug added to a drink, especially an alcoholic drink, in
    order to make the person who drinks it unconscious:
    or
    Mickey - take the mickey/mick (out of someone)
    UK informal, to laugh at someone and make them seem silly, in a funny
    or unkind way:

I assume that you are using the later sense (:-)
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 6 16:17:19 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 3:53:38 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

mixup of units.

1988: Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act. This >>> act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in >>> common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

DIN and JIS dominant.

systems again)

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Well, that's what we're doing isn't it? What is a 1.37" x 24 threads? Combined with a left and and a right hand thread. THAT is the most common BB standard and works quite well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 18:59:09 2023
    On 11/6/2023 6:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 3:53:38 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

1957: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps adopted the metric system. Used >>>>> as the basis for their weapons and equipment.

mixup of units.

1988: Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act. This >>>>> act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in >>>>> common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

DIN and JIS dominant.

systems again)

Well, that's what we're doing isn't it? What is a 1.37" x 24 threads? Combined with a left and and a right hand thread. THAT is the most common BB standard and works quite well.

Swiss is more logical, m35x1 left and right. No one uses it
    any longer.

--
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 6 18:55:32 2023
    On Tue, 07 Nov 2023 07:24:25 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
    wrote:

From ChatGPT 3.5 Turbo:

The Mickey is a non-SI unit of distance used in the animation
    industry. It is equal to one twelfth of a foot, or approximately
    0.20833 feet. It is most commonly used in the animation industry to
    measure the size of characters and sets.

It's also a unit of mouse measurement: <https://www.kylesconverter.com/length/mickeys-to-inches>
    It also "the length of the smallest detectable movement of the mouse"
    which obviously varies with the type of mouse used to make the
    measurement. The common definition is:
    1 mickey = 1/200 inch = 1.27 * 10^-4 meters

"List of obsolete units of measurement" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_obsolete_units_of_measurement>

"List of humorous units of measurement" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement>

"List of unusual units of measurement" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement >

Standards are a good thing. Every country, company, industry,
    organization and expert should have at least one.

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 21:59:07 2023
    On 11/6/2023 5:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

That does NOT set the length of an inch but rather the length of a meter. While the 1826 or whatever English system was founded as some sort of local lengths and measures, the US system evolved into lengths compatible with astronomical data such as the
    circumference of the earth at latitude zero and not something entirely out of sync with the world like the exact number of red wavelength of light.

Sorry, Tom. You're entirely wrong yet again, both on the standards of measurement and on the history.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 6 22:03:27 2023
    On 11/6/2023 2:16 PM, pH wrote:
    On 2023-11-05, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even though it might wear itself narrower).

But anyway, I went from 170 to 175's and subjectively they felt much more open to me and I've since standardized on them. I've never tried 180 or

Being a big galoot, I don't spin all that fast, but I'm not a masher,
    either.

IME, when riding a tandem with one's wife, it doesn't matter whether the
    man's a spinner or a masher. One has to ride at her cadence!

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 6 22:07:42 2023
    On 11/6/2023 6:08 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Regarding legislation. I asked a customer (president of a large builder) about the Clinton era stipulation that government buildings henceforth
    shall be of metric dimensions. I wondered if his suppliers conformed.

He laughed.  When he stopped he said they hadn't changed anything except
    to add a software function so their plotters could make metric versions
    of their usual plans, e.g, a 36 inch window is marked as 901mm and so on.

Or maybe 914mm?

At this point, changing building materials over to truly metric
    dimensions would be extremely difficult.

Canada is officially metric but uses a hodgepodge of the two systems.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 22:09:09 2023
    On 11/6/2023 6:29 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

The metric system was INVENTED by an Englishman ...

Um, citation? Who was that Englishman?

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Mon Nov 6 22:13:59 2023
    On 11/6/2023 6:53 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Our modern culture incorporates Sumerian root base-12 systems, decimal
    and others (360 degree geometry and astronomy). There's no inherent
    'better' beyond familiarity in most cases. But you have to admit there
    are real conveniences in metric, such as tap drill sizes (dia minus advancement) and wrench sizes (10x advancement). Try that in British Whitworth or SAE (which replaced National and Unified and before that
    Sellers and...). At least metric is a bit more stable now that French
    metric has died and left DIN and JIS dominant.

Had you grown up using stone rather than pounds you would view them as
    normal and familiar. Ditto kilos.

Being immersed in bicycles, an American dimensioned lathe and a lot of
    60 year old autos, I can slip easily between systems. I cook in a mix of
    both systems where applicable, doesn't make trouble at all. That's not different from a 22mm diameter cam specified to a -9 degree open (mixed systems again)

Would the world be more orderly with a universal system? Probably. But
    that's not where we live. Deal with it.

Deal with it is good advice. But I strongly disagree that there's no
    inherent "better" system. Uniformity, logic and internal consistency
    make the SI system far better than our U.S. system of charmingly
    agricultural and picturesque units for anything beyond baking a cake.

Quick: How many gills in a barrel?

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Radey Shouman@21:1/5 to John B. on Mon Nov 6 22:19:01 2023
    John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> writes:

On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>> > >>> I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain

the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t >>>> > >> be making a hell of a difference.

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank link would be >>>> > > VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to his senses.

which I make
    so many.
    inch.

Lou

system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes >>quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches >>"American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

it easy to work with.

two meanings

or
    or unkind way:

You're serious! I was talking about the mouse.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Radey Shouman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Mon Nov 6 22:16:59 2023

Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> writes:

which I make
    so many.
    inch.

Lou

system from.
    The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes
    quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches
    "American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.
    it easy to work with.

That does NOT set the length of an inch but rather the length of a
    meter. While the 1826 or whatever English system was founded as some
    sort of local lengths and measures, the US system evolved into lengths compatible with astronomical data such as the circumference of the
    earth at latitude zero and not something entirely out of sync with the
    world like the exact number of red wavelength of light.

The meter was originally defined a one ten-millionth of the distance
    from the equator to the North pole along the median of Paris. Since
    then metrology has moved on, and the meter is defined in terms of
    wavelengths of a frequency of visible light. The inch is legally and practically defined in the US as 25.4 mm. Exactly. In fact the inch
    and the meter are now defined in terms of exactly the same physical
    standard.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to shouman@comcast.net on Tue Nov 7 10:32:59 2023
    On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 22:19:01 -0500, Radey Shouman

On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so >>>>> > >>> I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot
    the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed >>>>> > >>> on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not
    any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my >>>>> > >>> legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from >>>>> > >>> me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift >>>>> > >> the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm cant >>>>> > >> be making a hell of a difference.

which I make
    so many.
    correctly, is the height difference in top dead center between these >>>>> cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which >>>>> is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA
    inch.

Lou

they SAID that crank arm length didn't effect power output it was sort >>>> of covered up that crank arm length changed the pedal speed and so you >>>> had to correct your cadence to achieve the same power. In Andrew's

modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of >>>> measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes >>>quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches >>>"American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

it easy to work with.

One inch is currently equal to *exactly* 25.4 mm, by definition. There >>>are no primary standards for English units.

two meanings

or
    or unkind way:

I think I may have missed a beat there somewhere. I had assumed that
    you, who I assume to be British, had claimed to have invented
    Mickey... something, and as the Mouse was invented in the U.S. by
    USians it must be some other "Mickey".
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Nov 7 01:03:48 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 12:08:20 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

Unfortunately, the USAF still uses a mixture of units from both the imperial and metric systems.

IBM PC based computers and descendents are a mixture. The two main hardware threads are M3 and 6-32 UNC.

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Then the window didn't fit.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Nov 7 00:51:17 2023
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 10:55:26 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth.

Who wrote 2" and meant 0.2" converting from millimeters to Mickey Mouse units? So who is the guy that doesn't know how to move the decimal point? Tell me. Why did you even convert 5 mm to Mickey Mouse units? In my business tolerances of 0.1 mm are very
    common, so when we get parts from the USA with dimension in Mickey Mouse units we get dimension tolerances of 0.004 or even worse fractions. Retarded system.

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to lou.holtman@gmail.com on Tue Nov 7 16:25:57 2023
    On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 00:51:17 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
    <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 10:55:26?PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Also we might comment that the metric system is the Mickey Mouse system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and forth.

Who wrote 2" and meant 0.2" converting from millimeters to
    Mickey Mouse units? So who is the guy that doesn't know how to move
    the decimal point? Tell me. Why did you even convert 5 mm to Mickey
    Mouse units? In my business tolerances of 0.1 mm are very common, so
    when we get parts from the USA with dimension in Mickey Mouse units we
    get dimension tolerances of 0.004 or even worse fractions. Retarded
    system.

Lou

But on the other hand what in the world does a Frenchman care about
    the distance from somewhere down there to somewhere up there neither
    of which anyone can see? And after hacking about for 7 years got it
    wrong (:-)

--
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Catrike Rider@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Nov 7 05:33:54 2023
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:53:33 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 3:08:20?PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

mixup of units.

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in >>>> common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify
    things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

DIN and JIS dominant.

systems again)

I've learned to think in both systems, having owned and maintained
    several cars, boats, bicycles, and motorcycles from the metric world.
    My tool box is a hodgepodge mix of US and metric tools.

That said, I'm simply not in favor of more attempts at globalization.
    Just as I favor personal individualism, I also favor national
    individualism.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Catrike Rider on Tue Nov 7 06:34:15 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 11:33:58 AM UTC+1, Catrike Rider wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:53:33 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Just as I favor personal individualism, I also favor national
    individualism.

Yes every state their own units, like in the old days. Californian feet, Florida feet etc. etc. Succes and buy a bigger toolbox.

Lou, don't start me on sheet metal and wire gauges.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Nov 7 09:36:40 2023
    On 11/7/2023 3:03 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

mixup of units.

More:

things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Lou
    My error should be 914mm sorry.
    The point is that their vendor provided windows which fit
    the framing and so on through the buildings (some quite
    massive and complex projects). One set of plans for
    compliance purposes was labeled in metric dimensions which
    had no bearing on the actual building.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Tue Nov 7 09:28:21 2023
    On 11/6/2023 9:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

He laughed.  When he stopped he said they hadn't changed
    anything except to add a software function so their
    plotters could make metric versions of their usual plans,
    e.g, a 36 inch window is marked as 901mm and so on.

Or maybe 914mm?

At this point, changing building materials over to truly
    metric dimensions would be extremely difficult.

Canada is officially metric but uses a hodgepodge of the two
    systems.

USAF has tooling parts and hardware in great profusion
    worldwide which is why US aircraft will not be metric any
    time soon.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Nov 7 07:51:19 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 12:51:20 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 10:55:26 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Who wrote 2" and meant 0.2" converting from millimeters to Mickey Mouse units? So who is the guy that doesn't know how to move the decimal point? Tell me. Why did you even convert 5 mm to Mickey Mouse units? In my business tolerances of 0.1 mm are very
    common, so when we get parts from the USA with dimension in Mickey Mouse units we get dimension tolerances of 0.004 or even worse fractions. Retarded system.

Lou
    I did move the decimal correctly. I simply had a typo on the decimal point so that you could complain about it. I will be more careful in the future so that I put a zero in front of fractions so that you can complain even more about the missing decimal
    point. When I'm having trouble concentrating because of a painful illness mistakes invariably occur. Despite the pain at least I am getting out on rides on days when it isn't actively raining or supposed to rain.

Your mistakes concerning reading Andrew's references might be mentioned so I have to wonder if you even read them. They were quite clear that changes in crank arm length had also to be made in specific ways for EACH of the test subjects. So be careful
    that you don't catch yourself in the same trap that you wish to catch others.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Nov 7 07:55:19 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 1:03:51 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

1988: Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act. This act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric

More:

things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Lou
    There appears to be the problem with your use of English again Lou. Andrew was making a point and not trying to be accurate in his conversion. You seem to be in an argumentative mood lately. Is this because you haven't adapted to retirement yet? It does
    take time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Nov 7 07:59:15 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 6:34:18 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 11:33:58 AM UTC+1, Catrike Rider wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:53:33 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Just as I favor personal individualism, I also favor national individualism.
    Yes every state their own units, like in the old days. Californian feet, Florida feet etc. etc. Succes and buy a bigger toolbox.

Lou, don't start me on sheet metal and wire gauges.
    My toolbox for work on larger items like cars has metric on one side and SI on the other. I might add that on ALL of the English sports cars I owned (which was a lot) they all used SI except I think the MGTC which I seem to remember used Whitworth.

Perhaps you should stop crying like Krygowski because the world doesn't agree with your ideas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Tue Nov 7 08:00:47 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 7:28:25 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Or maybe 914mm?

systems.

time soon.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Only a mechanical engineer would think that the world should cast away tooling and start anew.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Nov 7 12:28:29 2023
    On 11/7/2023 11:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 7:28:25 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Or maybe 914mm?

systems.

time soon.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Only a mechanical engineer would think that the world should cast away tooling and start anew.

That's not what I said, Tom. You persist in arguing against what you
    imagine I said, not what I've actually said.

The switch to SI units is happening, slowly. Yes, the huge amount of infrastructure (buildings, existing machinery, etc.) will cause the
    switch to be very slow in many industries. But it's happening anyway,
    except perhaps for building materials.

ISTM that I'm using metric standard tools and fasteners on almost
    anything manufactured recently.

(How's your collection of metric vs. U.S. Torx fasteners coming along?)

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lou Holtman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Tue Nov 7 09:55:36 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 4:55:21 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:55:24 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

1957: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps adopted the metric system. Used as the basis for their weapons and equipment.

NASA is all metric after the Mars Climate Orbiter crashed due to a mixup of units. <https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/>

1988: Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act. This act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric system for business by the end of 1992.

More:

Neither does Pi = 3.1415 etc or any of the other conversion factors in common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Lou
    There appears to be the problem with your use of English again Lou. Andrew was making a point and not trying to be accurate in his conversion. You seem to be in an argumentative mood lately. Is this because you haven't adapted to retirement yet? It
    does take time.

It was a joke. My retirement last 3 weeks then I was asked if I would come back for half a year. I was happy to do that. Man, double income and free coffee ;-)

Lou

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Lou Holtman on Tue Nov 7 12:46:49 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 9:55:39 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 4:55:21 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:55:24 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

1957: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps adopted the metric system. Used as the basis for their weapons and equipment.

NASA is all metric after the Mars Climate Orbiter crashed due to a mixup of units. <https://www.simscale.com/blog/nasa-mars-climate-orbiter-metric/>

act called for all federal government agencies to use the metric system for business by the end of 1992.

More: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_States>

common use. Fortunately, the government arrived to help simplify things:
    "Indiana Pi Bill"

Lou
    There appears to be the problem with your use of English again Lou. Andrew was making a point and not trying to be accurate in his conversion. You seem to be in an argumentative mood lately. Is this because you haven't adapted to retirement yet? It
    does take time.
    It was a joke. My retirement last 3 weeks then I was asked if I would come back for half a year. I was happy to do that. Man, double income and free coffee ;-)

Lou
    Good for you. I am now getting job offers via these recruiters and FINALLY they have stopped asking for a degree and instead are asking for experience only. I doubt that I will go back to work since they all seem to be located in areas simply too far to
    commute to each morning.

And recruiters still haven't learned to tell you what a job is and instead tell you what sort of skills they're looking for. Since I have all of those skills it is a waste of time. And I have become very particular about the sort of job I will take - I
    will NOT work for Google or Apple. And rent is so excessive in that area that all of these new companies trying to bring Silicon Valley back (hint - they won't. The Democrat governor made certain of that) are way down in the far south of San Jose. From
    home that would be 40 miles.

Find a good money manager and stick as much into investments as possible. Now that I have a good money manager I'm pretty surprised at how fast my investments have grown. I had my money at three other firms and my investments were losing money every
    month. Especially when Obama got into office. (Oh wait - according to Liebermann who has nothing to his name, that isn't possible because Obama was wonderful).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Radey Shouman@21:1/5 to John B. on Tue Nov 7 16:46:43 2023

On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 12:38:43?PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>> On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 8:16:16?PM UTC+1, pH wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36?PM UTC+1, Tom
    Kunich wrote:
    I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain >>>>>> > >>> rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower
    but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even >>>>>> > >>> though it might wear itself narrower).

small ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a >>>>>> > >>> 105 12 speed chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the >>>>>> > >>> FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so >>>>>> > >>> I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot
    that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the >>>>>> > >>> 175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in >>>>>> > >>> the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed >>>>>> > >>> on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not >>>>>> > >>> any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my >>>>>> > >>> legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from >>>>>> > >>> me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them.

inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift >>>>>> > >> the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm can’t >>>>>> > >> be making a hell of a difference.

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank
    link would be
    VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to
    his senses.

which I make
    so many.
    If it is so critical as Tom says the difference between 175 mm and >>>>>> 172.5 mm cranks is 2.5 mm and not 2 mm. Even for an Usian that is
    correctly, is the height difference in top dead center between these >>>>>> cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which >>>>>> is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA
    inch.

Lou

Andrew just quoted some studies that were somewhat misleading. While >>>>> they SAID that crank arm length didn't effect power output it was sort >>>>> of covered up that crank arm length changed the pedal speed and so you >>>>> had to correct your cadence to achieve the same power. In Andrew's
    reference there were other references to "studies" that said the same >>>>> thing. Now maybe you can easily change your cadence at where you make >>>>> your maximum power easily but wait until you're 79 before you tell me >>>>> that it doesn't make any difference.

system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic >>>>> and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and
    modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of >>>>> measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes >>>>quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches >>>>"American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

skills. But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make >>>>> it easy to work with.

One inch is currently equal to *exactly* 25.4 mm, by definition. There >>>>are no primary standards for English units.

two meanings

or
    or unkind way:

I was born and raised in the US, and have only visited the UK once.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to shouman@comcast.net on Wed Nov 8 05:02:07 2023
    On Tue, 07 Nov 2023 16:46:43 -0500, Radey Shouman

On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 12:38:43?PM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote: >>>>>>> On Monday, November 6, 2023 at 8:16:16?PM UTC+1, pH wrote:
    On Saturday, November 4, 2023 at 11:31:36?PM UTC+1, Tom
    Kunich wrote:
    I was under the impression that you could use 11 speed chain >>>>>>> > >>> rings on 12 speed chains (I know that the chain is narrower >>>>>>> > >>> but the teeth are tapered and should force themselves on even >>>>>>> > >>> though it might wear itself narrower).

That didn't work so well, the large ring worked OK but the >>>>>>> > >>> small ring danced across the top of the teeth. So I ordered a >>>>>>> > >>> 105 12 speed chainset to replace the 11 speed FSA.

There was another problem. I got the frame complete with the >>>>>>> > >>> FSA cranks and the bearing were like new and it spun easily so >>>>>>> > >>> I didn't bother to look at it. Well, it was a 175. I forgot >>>>>>> > >>> that I changed to a 172.5 because it was so hard to spin the >>>>>>> > >>> 175's. Well THAT sure reminded me. So not only was I stuck in >>>>>>> > >>> the large ring, but the cranks were too long. My average speed >>>>>>> > >>> on today's flat ride was a little slower than normal but not >>>>>>> > >>> any more than I might expect from riding with shingles. But my >>>>>>> > >>> legs are TIRED. And the guys I was with kept pulling away from >>>>>>> > >>> me pretty fast and it was hell to accelerate to catch them. >>>>>>> > >>>
    So even though it was only 2" difference in crank length it >>>>>>> > >>> made a hell of a difference.

inch. Stop using those Mickey Mouse units so you can just shift >>>>>>> > >> the decimal point instead of fractions or factors. 2.5 mm cant >>>>>>> > >> be making a hell of a difference.

I shouldn't pile on, but: A two inch difference in crank
    link would be
    VERY obvious visually. That fact should have brought Tom to
    his senses.

Well, obviously (to me) he meant 2 millimeters...just a typo of >>>>>>> > which I make
    so many.
    If it is so critical as Tom says the difference between 175 mm and >>>>>>> 172.5 mm cranks is 2.5 mm and not 2 mm. Even for an Usian that is >>>>>>> not that difficult. But what Tom meant, if I understand him
    correctly, is the height difference in top dead center between these >>>>>>> cranks when the saddle height is set in the bottom dead center which >>>>>>> is 2 times 2.5 mm = 5 mm = 5/25.4 = 0.2 in Mickey Mouse units AKA >>>>>>> inch.

Lou

Andrew just quoted some studies that were somewhat misleading. While >>>>>> they SAID that crank arm length didn't effect power output it was sort >>>>>> of covered up that crank arm length changed the pedal speed and so you >>>>>> had to correct your cadence to achieve the same power. In Andrew's >>>>>> reference there were other references to "studies" that said the same >>>>>> thing. Now maybe you can easily change your cadence at where you make >>>>>> your maximum power easily but wait until you're 79 before you tell me >>>>>> that it doesn't make any difference.

system designed to be used by people that can't use simple arithmetic >>>>>> and have even a hard time moving the decimal point back and
    system. Britannia did more than rule the waves - they invented the >>>>>> modern scientific method and it was all based on the English system of >>>>>> measurement. Though God only knows where they got their monetary
    system from.

The English stopped using their traditional units for technical purposes >>>>>quite some time ago, so it seems at least defensible to call inches >>>>>"American" units. Mickey, after all, was invented here.

I use the metric system occasionally to humor people with poor math >>>>>> skills. But knowing that one inch is equal to 2.54xxx cm doesn't make >>>>>> it easy to work with.

One inch is currently equal to *exactly* 25.4 mm, by definition. There >>>>>are no primary standards for English units.

I even did a google search and according to the Cambridge Dictionary - >>>> which I believe is as "British" as it is possible to be "Mickey" has
    two meanings

or
    or unkind way:

I was born and raised in the US, and have only visited the UK once.

Well, I must apologize then as I apparently had confused with the
    bloke that rides in London.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Wed Nov 8 05:58:24 2023
    On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:28:21 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Or maybe 914mm?

systems.

time soon.

Well they could do what the Army did and re label the .223 Remington
    as a 5.56mm (:-)
    We would then be using a 6.35mm wrench instead of a 1/4in and a 12.7mm
    instead of a 1/2in, and so on.

--
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to John B. on Tue Nov 7 17:48:14 2023
    On 11/7/2023 4:58 PM, John B. wrote:

He laughed.  When he stopped he said they hadn't changed

Or maybe 914mm?

systems.

time soon.

We would then be using a 6.35mm wrench instead of a 1/4in and a 12.7mm instead of a 1/2in, and so on.

We've previously discussed the full airliner which left
    Birmingham with a new windshield and a few handfuls of the
    wrong bolts. The windshield popped out once it pressurized,
    sucked the pilot halfway out and only by luck didn't kill
    anyone.

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-flight-5390/
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Wed Nov 8 08:19:18 2023
    On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:48:14 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On 11/7/2023 4:58 PM, John B. wrote:

Or maybe 914mm?

systems.

time soon.

We would then be using a 6.35mm wrench instead of a 1/4in and a 12.7mm
    instead of a 1/2in, and so on.

We've previously discussed the full airliner which left
    Birmingham with a new windshield and a few handfuls of the
    wrong bolts. The windshield popped out once it pressurized,
    sucked the pilot halfway out and only by luck didn't kill
    anyone.

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-flight-5390/

That is one of the reasons that only properly trained and qualified
    technicians are supposed to work on airplanes (:-)
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Henk Fictorie - Ulrich@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Nov 8 08:40:10 2023
    Tom Kunich wrote:
    My toolbox for work on larger items like cars has metric on one side and SI on the other. I might add that on ALL of the English sports cars I owned (which was a lot) they all used SI except I think the MGTC which I seem to remember used Whitworth.

Metric and SI are basically the same, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Henk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Henk Fictorie - Ulrich on Wed Nov 8 08:04:38 2023
    On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 11:40:04 PM UTC-8, Henk Fictorie - Ulrich wrote:
    Tom Kunich wrote:

Metric and SI are basically the same, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Henk

That was another mistake. I mean Imperial. Though that should have been obvious in its usage. So you should have corrected me simply by saying "You mean Imperial and not SI". Welcome to the group. Are you a recreational cyclist? How old are you?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Wed Nov 8 10:48:58 2023
    On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:46:49 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich

I am now getting job offers via these recruiters...

How are these recruiters finding you? You have your online resume
    marked under "About" as:

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>
    "Retired and not looking anymore
    Electronics Engineer, Firmware Programmer"

<https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7038636103788085248/>
    "I am 78 years old and have been retired for 13 years."

--
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05