• TPU Innertubes

From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 30 11:10:23 2023
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same weight as a Latex tube but they don't
    have to be pumped up for every ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will consider
    them a success.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Sep 30 11:19:16 2023
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 11:10:26 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same weight as a Latex tube but they don't
    have to be pumped up for every ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will consider
    them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37

They will probably take a little experimentation since they don't stretch much and might pinch flat while you're trying to mount them. I'll let you know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Roger Meriman on Sat Sep 30 12:13:15 2023
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:07:19 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous
    price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure >> that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same >> weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every
    ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a >> little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I
    ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will >> consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you
    CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37

They will probably take a little experimentation since they don't stretch much and might pinch flat while you're trying to mount them. I'll let you know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your normal tubes. Or they will pop!

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or supple puncture just as easily speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but can’t say I’ve noticed or
    tested for that matter.

As far as I’m aware in terms of speed TPU/Latex/Tubeless are all in same ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised as being harder to flat, but I don't know how you would measure that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Meriman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Sep 30 19:07:16 2023
    Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
    price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every
    ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I
    ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your
    normal tubes. Or they will pop!

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or supple puncture just as easily speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but can’t say I’ve noticed or tested for that matter.

As far as I’m aware in terms of speed TPU/Latex/Tubeless are all in same
    ball park.

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Meriman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Sat Sep 30 19:31:44 2023
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 11:10:26 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>> While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous
    price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure >>>> that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same >>>> weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every
    ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a >>>> little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I
    ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will >>>> consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride >>> About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you

They will probably take a little experimentation since they don't stretch >>> much and might pinch flat while you're trying to mount them. I'll let you >>> know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or supple puncture just as easily >> speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but can’t say I’ve noticed or
    tested for that matter.

As far as I’m aware in terms of speed TPU/Latex/Tubeless are all in same >> ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised as being harder to flat,
    but I don't know how you would measure that.

Not in my experience! If I had a pure road bike and didn’t want the faff of tubeless then I’d certainly consider though expensive tubes, I use them as spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel
    paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they work? So a puncture can
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Roger Meriman on Sat Sep 30 15:35:40 2023
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:31:47 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will >>>> consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride >>> About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37

They will probably take a little experimentation since they don't stretch
    much and might pinch flat while you're trying to mount them. I'll let you
    know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or supple puncture just as easily
    speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but can’t say I’ve noticed or
    tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised as being harder to flat, but I don't know how you would measure that.

Not in my experience! If I had a pure road bike and didn’t want the faff of
    tubeless then I’d certainly consider though expensive tubes, I use them as spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

be expensive!

Roger Merriman

From China you can get them cheaper than any other tube here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Meriman@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Wed Oct 4 23:20:34 2023
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 11:10:26 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote: >>>>>> While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure >>>>>> that makes much of a difference. The Chinese versions are about the same >>>>>> weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a >>>>>> little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will >>>>>> consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride >>>>> About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>>>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37

They will probably take a little experimentation since they don't stretch >>>>> much and might pinch flat while you're trying to mount them. I'll let you >>>>> know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or supple puncture just as easily >>>> speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but can’t say I’ve noticed or
    tested for that matter.

As far as I’m aware in terms of speed TPU/Latex/Tubeless are all in same >>>> ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised as being harder to flat, >>> but I don't know how you would measure that.

tubeless then I’d certainly consider though expensive tubes, I use them as >> spares as so small.

be expensive!

Roger Merriman

You can I’ve not used them myself the Chinese cheap ones that is!

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Roger Meriman on Thu Oct 5 08:06:15 2023
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears that the Vittoria and Ride
    About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>>>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37

know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

tubeless then I’d certainly consider though expensive tubes, I use them as
    spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they work? So a puncture can >> be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

ALL of Vittoria's products are made in China so the difference in their $37 innertubes and my $4 one's are the color.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Oct 5 10:38:29 2023
    On 10/5/2023 10:06 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>>>>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>>>>>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >>>>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised as being harder to flat, >>>>> but I don't know how you would measure that.

spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >>>> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they work? So a puncture can >>>> be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

ALL of Vittoria's products are made in China so the difference in their $37 innertubes and my $4 one's are the color.

That is absolutely not true.
    Vittoria's parent company is Swiss and the majority of
    product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Meriman@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 5 16:58:46 2023
    AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>>>>>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>>>>>>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>>
    know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in rolling resistance would be
    measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >>>>>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >>>>> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they work? So a puncture can >>>>> be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

ALL of Vittoria's products are made in China so the difference in their
    $37 innertubes and my $4 one's are the color.

product is Thai.

Indeed Shane Miller tested to destruction a number of them!

https://youtu.be/hFX-5I1GHoI?si=dKaZuRX3OIkGR-4T

Roger Merriman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 5 14:33:08 2023
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 8:38:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    consider them a success.

About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you
    CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

When they shut down Vittoria in Italy they announced that all of their tires were going to be made in China. I don't know why they would have announced China and then build their tires in Thailand since labor is cheaper in China.

Of course that would suggest why the TPU tubes from Vittoria are $37 and those from China are as low as $2.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Oct 5 17:00:19 2023
    On 10/5/2023 4:33 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    consider them a success.

CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>>>

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >>>>>> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still. >>>>>>
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

When they shut down Vittoria in Italy they announced that all of their tires were going to be made in China. I don't know why they would have announced China and then build their tires in Thailand since labor is cheaper in China.

Of course that would suggest why the TPU tubes from Vittoria are $37 and those from China are as low as $2.

I have no idea but Vittoria Thailand has been a main
    supplier to us for 25 years.

One possible explanation may be that Vittoria inner tubes
    are not crap.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Fri Oct 6 05:16:56 2023
    On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:38:29 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:31:47?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>>>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:07:19?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 11:10:26?AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized for 32 mm tires but I >>>>>>>>> ordered some to test. If they don't need pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they are the same quality you >>>>>>>> CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>>

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >>>>>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >>>>> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they work? So a puncture can >>>>> be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

product is Thai.

Located in Bangkok, Vittoria Tyres Thailand (VTT) is the production
    facility where the Vittoria Group concentrates its production of
    quality bicycle tyres, tubulars and inner tubes. Vittoria Tyres
    Thailand was created to handle production, as well as research and
    development. They are the largest company in the Group, employing over
    1300 employees spread across five buildings, totaling more than
    100,000 square feet.

--
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to John B. on Thu Oct 5 17:32:21 2023
    On 10/5/2023 5:16 PM, John B. wrote:
    On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:38:29 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:31:47?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >>>>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to be pumped up for every >>>>>>>>>> ride and they are more flat proof than rubber tubes. They are probably a
    consider them a success.

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with gritty lanes and gravel >>>>>> paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still. >>>>>>
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

product is Thai.

Thailand was created to handle production, as well as research and development. They are the largest company in the Group, employing over
    100,000 square feet.

With machinery and fixtures from Clement and Vittoria Italy
    as well as the former Liontires Singapore
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 5 15:40:22 2023
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    consider them a success.

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still. >>>>>>
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

You can I’ve not used them myself the Chinese cheap ones that is! >>>>
    Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

are not crap.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    You seem to be implying that the Chinese versions are crap. That "test" that Mariman cited wasn't any sort of a test. Because TPU doesn't expand like latex or rubber, they have to be held inside of a tire. So you can't judge their worth from that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to Tom Kunich on Thu Oct 5 17:48:40 2023
    On 10/5/2023 5:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38 PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>>>>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    consider them a success.

CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>>>>>

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still. >>>>>>>>
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

You can I’ve not used them myself the Chinese cheap ones that is! >>>>>>
    Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

are not crap.

You seem to be implying that the Chinese versions are crap. That "test" that Mariman cited wasn't any sort of a test. Because TPU doesn't expand like latex or rubber, they have to be held inside of a tire. So you can't judge their worth from that.

I don't judge their worth at all. I hope never to have to
    (thinking here of Poly tubes from the 1980s).

My general experience makes me suspect that 'same product'
    at 1/20 the cost is not the same product. YMMV
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to cyclintom@gmail.com on Fri Oct 6 05:49:27 2023
    On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:33:08 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
    <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 8:38:34?AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these things for a preposterous >> >>>>>>>> price of $37 apiece they are the lightest available. Though I'm not sure
    consider them a success.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t stretch as much as your >> >>>>>> normal tubes. Or they will pop!

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

be expensive!

Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

Wrong again. Labor costs in Thailand are lower then they are in
    China, https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/global_labor_rates_china_is_no_longer_a_low_cost_country
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Oct 5 17:54:40 2023
    On 10/5/2023 5:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi
    wrote:
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 8:38:34 AM UTC-7, AMuzi
    wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38 PM UTC-7,
    Roger Meriman wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:31:47 PM
    UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 12:07:19 PM
    UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
    On Saturday, September 30, 2023 at 11:10:26 AM
    UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
    While Vittoria has been advertising these
    things for a preposterous
    price of $37 apiece they are the lightest
    available. Though I'm not sure
    that makes much of a difference. The Chinese
    versions are about the same
    weight as a Latex tube but they don't have to
    be pumped up for every
    ride and they are more flat proof than rubber
    tubes. They are probably a
    little harder to install because they are sized
    for 32 mm tires but I
    ordered some to test. If they don't need
    pumping up all the time I will
    consider them a success.

Going back over the advertisements it appears
    that the Vittoria and Ride
    About (Chinese) tubes weigh the same. If they
    are the same quality you
    CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs.
    the Vittoria $37

They will probably take a little experimentation
    since they don't stretch
    much and might pinch flat while you're trying to
    mount them. I'll let you
    know. I wouldn't believe that the difference in
    rolling resistance would be measured.

Make sure they are correct size as they don’t
    stretch as much as your

I used them, noticeable more comfortable or
    supple puncture just as easily
    speed? As with tubeless probably measurable but
    can’t say I’ve noticed or
    tested for that matter.

As far as I’m aware in terms of speed
    TPU/Latex/Tubeless are all in same
    ball park.

Roger Merriman

28 mm tires and 32 mm tubes. They are advertised
    as being harder to flat,

Not in my experience! If I had a pure road bike and
    didn’t want the faff of
    tubeless then I’d certainly consider though
    expensive tubes, I use them as
    spares as so small.

With the road bike used to average 2 a year with
    gritty lanes and gravel
    paths so potentially your dryer environment would
    be better still.

Can get fixes to seal the tubes but how well they
    work? So a puncture can
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

From China you can get them cheaper than any other
    tube here.

You can I’ve not used them myself the Chinese cheap
    ones that is!

Roger Merriman

ALL of Vittoria's products are made in China so the
    difference in their $37 innertubes and my $4 one's are
    the color.
    product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

When they shut down Vittoria in Italy they announced
    that all of their tires were going to be made in China.
    I don't know why they would have announced China and
    then build their tires in Thailand since labor is
    cheaper in China.

Of course that would suggest why the TPU tubes from
    Vittoria are $37 and those from China are as low as $2.

are not crap.

You seem to be implying that the Chinese versions are
    crap. That "test" that Mariman cited wasn't any sort of a
    test. Because TPU doesn't expand like latex or rubber,
    they have to be held inside of a tire. So you can't judge
    their worth from that.

p.s. Blast from the past: https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/1600x1200/panaracer_poly_lite_tubes_ed5dd2e313a1cf56351d75e10f1a292cbc362d47.jpg

I noticed the guy's price sticker looks like ours (METO
    machine, yellow sticker) I wonder if this was ours...
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Fri Oct 6 06:03:56 2023
    On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:48:40 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:00:35?PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 8:38:34?AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:20:38?PM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote: >>>>>>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    consider them a success.

CAN get the Chinese TPU tubes for $2 apiece vs. the Vittoria $37 >>>>>>>>>>>>

tested for that matter.

ball park.

Roger Merriman

spares as so small.

paths so potentially your dryer environment would be better still. >>>>>>>>>
    be expensive!

Roger Merriman

From China you can get them cheaper than any other tube here. >>>>>>>>
    You can I’ve not used them myself the Chinese cheap ones that is! >>>>>>>
    Roger Merriman

product is Thai.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org

are not crap.

Japan did much the same thing after WW II. Cheap stuff built to no
    standard what so ever. Sell cheap as there is a large market for
    "cheap stuff" and as profits increase it is easy to increase quality
    and gradually move up market.

--
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Luns Tee@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Fri Oct 6 19:09:58 2023
    On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:32:24 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    Located in Bangkok, Vittoria Tyres Thailand (VTT) is the production facility where the Vittoria Group concentrates its production of
    Thailand was created to handle production, as well as research and development. They are the largest company in the Group, employing over 1300 employees spread across five buildings, totaling more than
    100,000 square feet.

The late Peter Rich left me with the understanding that what survived of Clement's assets was picked up by what's now known as Challenge tires. Their factory is (also?) in Bangkok, but I'd understood them to be independent from Vittoria.

Being located in Thailand isn't just a matter of labour costs, but also of being close to the source of the raw natural rubber (latex).

-Luns

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 7 11:24:24 2023
    On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:09:58 -0700 (PDT), Luns Tee <luns@berkeley.edu>
    wrote:

On Thursday, October 5, 2023 at 3:32:24?PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
    Thailand was created to handle production, as well as research and
    development. They are the largest company in the Group, employing over
    100,000 square feet.

The late Peter Rich left me with the understanding that what survived of Clement's assets was picked up by what's now known as Challenge tires. Their factory is (also?) in Bangkok, but I'd understood them to be independent from Vittoria.

Being located in Thailand isn't just a matter of labour costs, but also of being close to the source of the raw natural rubber (latex).

-Luns

https://www.challengetires.com/technology

I suggest that being close to raw materials is fine but perhaps the
    US$9.18 a day (legal minimum) is an incentive (:-) The other major
    rubber growers in the region, Malaysia and Indonesian,have higher
    minimum salaries.
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 26 14:56:31 2023
    What happened to the COST of these TPU innertubes? I ordered three of these last month for $4.00 apiece and then found another source for $2 each. I should have immediately ordered a year's worth because they are now selling for as much as the Vittoria $
    37 tubes.

On the average now they are going for $7 each and as far as I can make out this is entirely due to the YouTube videos showing tests of them. These things are very easy and cheap to build since all you need is to cut the material and thermally bond the
    edges of the material. I like them for one reason - there are no pores in it like there are in latex or rubber tubes so they don't leak air and don't have to be pumped up all of the time. However, Latex STILL has lower rolling resistance in the tests (
    lower than tubeless).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165811615028?hash=item269b247534:g:2B8AAOSwwJVjis2K&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ChNX7HsSf08XD0nctBNDQPfdpKUJbWuzQHGgybUHQ5gxAF0Gv%2Fxo6Z%2F3Endnaw%2BlDiGnpHUsN2kkRQls2pYo3rdpzsYuOXevjXRTf0IljN0ynoaImmfkYFLByVNwvV%
    2FBFBd7sbhs4qep0AhKkfwG67GxNYxZgG9mPY6H%2FSHpV1ywPcWbJjvhIXgew6t%2BBbhi6QglAT00GjtIoqaB8UAqw0mNs0lZJaCN0IVOxxkMayCd7QRNb6%2FzmSWAKcCn%2BctqVhiV9ZhhBVGRfQt%2FGgvJ5r0n4fRaMRp3ifNZ7LYUplp%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR87b2NXtYg

This is exactly the same tube from the same manufacturer that I bought mine from for $4 per tube.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05