• Shimano Recall many cranksets!

From Mark Cleary@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 15:36:53 2023
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/information/customer-services/corrective-actions/important-safety-notice-11-speed-hollowtech-road-cranksets-inspection-program.html

Is this old news or just coming out. I checked my 6800 crankset and it is in the batch if a problem. Mine crankset has close to 50,000 miles on it and so far has worked fantastic. I did an inspection, and all seems to be good. The real question is if I
    will get any warning ahead of time if the crankset starts to explode, or will I just go all at once? Any way to really be sure?

Anyone else have these crankset?
    Deacon Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From funkmasterxx@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Cleary on Thu Sep 21 17:40:55 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 6:36:56 PM UTC-4, Mark Cleary wrote:
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/information/customer-services/corrective-actions/important-safety-notice-11-speed-hollowtech-road-cranksets-inspection-program.html

Is this old news or just coming out. I checked my 6800 crankset and it is in the batch if a problem. Mine crankset has close to 50,000 miles on it and so far has worked fantastic. I did an inspection, and all seems to be good. The real question is if I
    will get any warning ahead of time if the crankset starts to explode, or will I just go all at once? Any way to really be sure?

Deacon Mark

I don't think this is new. I seem to remember Andrew posting something about it a couple of years ago. From what I remember the failure is exceptionally rare, but is catastrophic. As we say in the Functional Safety world "low incidence, high impact"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Thu Sep 21 20:52:41 2023
    On 9/21/2023 8:40 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
    From what I remember the failure is exceptionally rare, but is catastrophic. As we say in the Functional Safety world "low incidence, high impact"

Good judgment is very difficult for that failure regime.

Remember Airline Flight Insurance? Buy insurance quickly at a kiosk in
    case your airliner crashes and kills everyone on board? People actually
    shelled out money.

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AMuzi@21:1/5 to funkma...@hotmail.com on Thu Sep 21 19:56:21 2023
    On 9/21/2023 7:40 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

Is this old news or just coming out. I checked my 6800 crankset and it is in the batch if a problem. Mine crankset has close to 50,000 miles on it and so far has worked fantastic. I did an inspection, and all seems to be good. The real question is if
    I will get any warning ahead of time if the crankset starts to explode, or will I just go all at once? Any way to really be sure?

Deacon Mark

I don't think this is new. I seem to remember Andrew posting something about it a couple of years ago. From what I remember the failure is exceptionally rare, but is catastrophic. As we say in the Functional Safety world "low incidence, high impact"

I haven't seen that failure but, as you note, no one wants
    to see (or ride into) that failure.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    am@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From funkmasterxx@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Thu Sep 21 18:20:51 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 8:56:23 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Is this old news or just coming out. I checked my 6800 crankset and it is in the batch if a problem. Mine crankset has close to 50,000 miles on it and so far has worked fantastic. I did an inspection, and all seems to be good. The real question is
    if I will get any warning ahead of time if the crankset starts to explode, or will I just go all at once? Any way to really be sure?

Deacon Mark

This is what I was thinking about, from 2020:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shimano-crank-failure/

I thought it had been discussed here, guess not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to Mark Cleary on Fri Sep 22 07:39:02 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 3:36:56 PM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

They have been doing this for a long time (failures that is). So I use FSA SL-K lite cranks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Kunich@21:1/5 to AMuzi on Fri Sep 22 07:41:26 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 5:56:23 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

Is this old news or just coming out. I checked my 6800 crankset and it is in the batch if a problem. Mine crankset has close to 50,000 miles on it and so far has worked fantastic. I did an inspection, and all seems to be good. The real question is
    if I will get any warning ahead of time if the crankset starts to explode, or will I just go all at once? Any way to really be sure?

Deacon Mark

--
    Andrew Muzi
    a...@yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I didn't see catastrophic failures but the separation of the halves and a bending of the arm on one side.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05