• Detailed deraileur question

From Kenneth Litwak@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 9 15:54:37 2022
    I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don't
    know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had
    this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any
    suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Krygowski@21:1/5 to Kenneth Litwak on Mon Jan 10 11:16:38 2022
    XPost: rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/9/2022 6:54 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
    I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don'
    t know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had
    this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any
    suggestions? I can't lug he very heavy trainer and the bike to a shop to get help. I'd have to take the bike off the trainer before going back home. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
    down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu

Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur
    hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber
    portions of the frame are broken, it's a more complicated repair.

I'd suggest either:

1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or

2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

or both. (I'm copying to r.b.tech)

--
    - Frank Krygowski

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kenneth Litwak@21:1/5 to Frank Krygowski on Mon Jan 10 08:27:13 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:16:41 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
    I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I don'
    t know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never had
    Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu

Your derailleur should not be sticking out sideways. If the derailleur hanger is bent or broken, it's easily replaced. If the carbon fiber

I'd suggest either:

2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

--
    - Frank Krygowski

Thanks for the advice, Frank. If the frame is bent or broken, that would be horrible. I can't afford to buy a new frame. I hope it's just the derailleur. I know it should not look like it odes but I haven't been able to figure out, after watching many
    videos on derailleur installation, what to do. I'll take it to a bike store. Since this has never happened before, and I've had this particular bike since 2012, I'm puzzled why trying to put the frame on the skewer of an indoor trainer I haven't used
    before would do this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Liebermann@21:1/5 to frkrygow@sbcglobal.net on Mon Jan 10 11:24:31 2022
    XPost: rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:16:38 -0500, Frank Krygowski
    <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

If the derailleur is sideways, I would take a very close look at the
    hanger and the frame:
    "Trek Madone Dropout and Seatstay Repair" <https://ruckuscomp.com/news/featured-repair/2016/12/16/trek-madone-dropout-and-seatstay-repair/>
    My guess(tm) is that the hanger or seat stay partially failed during a
    previous ride. The trainer finished the job causing the partial break
    to crack open.

I'd suggest either:

2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like >Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

3) Provide the rest of the Trek Madone model number and year, such as
    "Trek Madone SLR 9 2021". Also, the maker and model number of the
    trainer.

--
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John B.@21:1/5 to kennethdlitwak@gmail.com on Tue Jan 11 08:47:09 2022
    On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST), Kenneth Litwak <kennethdlitwak@gmail.com> wrote:

I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I
    don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never
    had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any
    Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging
    down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu

I'd suggest either:

1) taking the bike into a competent shop (no need to take the trainer), or >>
    2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like
    Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

--
    - Frank Krygowski

Thanks for the advice, Frank. If the frame is bent or broken, that would be horrible. I can't afford to buy a new frame. I hope it's just the derailleur. I know it should not look like it odes but I haven't been able to figure out, after watching many
    videos on derailleur installation, what to do. I'll take it to a bike store. Since this has never happened before, and I've had this particular bike since 2012, I'm puzzled why trying to put the frame on the skewer of an indoor trainer I haven't used
    before would do this.

You might look at
    https://tinyurl.com/2p9499ua
    for examples of bent rear derailers
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antti Luode@21:1/5 to John B. on Wed Mar 2 08:47:34 2022
    On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 3:47:17 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
    On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:27:13 -0800 (PST), Kenneth Litwak <kenneth...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have taken my wheel of my Trek Madone to replace tubes countless times. I have not had trouble with the derailleur going back to its normal p[position and working. Not this time. I am attempting to mount it on the skewer of an indoor trainer. I
    don't know what happed but it is sticking out sideways, not vertical. A;also, there seems to be some sort of "hook" hanging down. I've never seen that before, but it surely belongs around or through something. I believe it is an Ultegra d. I have never
    had this issue before and I have no idea what to do. I haven't found a Youtube video on the details of a derailleur. I'm not mechanically-inclined. I was a computer programmer for many years and my knowledge of the details of a derailleur is small. Any
    Your description isn't very clear to me, but I'll bet the "hook" hanging >> down is your rear derailleur hanger. See https://tinyurl.com/2awwwtvu

I'd suggest either:

2) taking a photo of the damage, posting it to a photo hosting site like >> Flickr, then asking your question on rec.bicycles.tech

--
    - Frank Krygowski

before would do this.
    You might look at
    https://tinyurl.com/2p9499ua
    for examples of bent rear derailers
    --
    Cheers,

John B.

Youtube has great tutorials on this sort of stuff.

Once you have it all figured out you should get a rear derrailleur adjustment tool to
    adjust it. Park tools has a good video in that:

https://youtu.be/tXfvW0L3iLM

It is like a magic wand. I have found that most shifting problems are due
    to badly adhusted rear derraileur.

Antti

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05