• MSR Whisperlite problems?

From danandlisa@slingshot.co.nz@21:1/5 to so...@arn.net on Mon Dec 25 19:52:33 2017
    On Tuesday, January 9, 1996 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, so...@arn.net wrote:
    Has anyone had any major problems with the MSR Whisperlite? Last weekend I was in New Mexico in cold weather when my stove just gurgled little amounts of fuel out and then just stopped working all together. I
    thought that this might just be my stove BUT the same thing happened to a Whisperlite International. Eventually, that stove started working but a LOT of fiddling. Tonight, I took the stove completely apart, cleaned
    the fuel tube and woked on the jet and it still didn't work. I tried two different sources of fuel with no success. When I pulled the fuel tube off of the pump, a LOT of gas poured out of the tube. Tells me that
    somewhere things are clogged up. Anyone else had this happen to them. My next thing to so is to soak the entire stove in solvent and then see that happens. Another question: Has anyone ever tried a bigger jet
    or enlarged the jet on one of these stoves to increase ouput (a nice thing when melting snow for water when there is no water source available due to everything being frozen)?

Thanks,

Scott Olds

My old whisperlite pre ignites- it burns just above the jet, making a huge noise. Seems to do it when the stove is used for a few minutes. I have done all the usual cleaning etc. It is an older model with a shaker jet in it. Plenty of fuel is getting
    through. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Dan. New Zealand

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From hlillywh@juno.com@21:1/5 to danan...@slingshot.co.nz on Tue Dec 26 16:50:48 2017
    On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 7:52:35 PM UTC-8, danan...@slingshot.co.nz wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 9, 1996 at 9:00:00 PM UTC+13, so...@arn.net wrote:
    Has anyone had any major problems with the MSR Whisperlite? Last weekend I was in New Mexico in cold weather when my stove just gurgled little amounts of fuel out and then just stopped working all together. I
    thought that this might just be my stove BUT the same thing happened to a Whisperlite International. Eventually, that stove started working but a LOT of fiddling. Tonight, I took the stove completely apart, cleaned
    the fuel tube and woked on the jet and it still didn't work. I tried two different sources of fuel with no success. When I pulled the fuel tube off of the pump, a LOT of gas poured out of the tube. Tells me that
    somewhere things are clogged up. Anyone else had this happen to them. My next thing to so is to soak the entire stove in solvent and then see that happens. Another question: Has anyone ever tried a bigger jet
    or enlarged the jet on one of these stoves to increase ouput (a nice thing when melting snow for water when there is no water source available due to everything being frozen)?

Thanks,

Scott Olds

My old whisperlite pre ignites- it burns just above the jet, making a huge noise. Seems to do it when the stove is used for a few minutes. I have done all the usual cleaning etc. It is an older model with a shaker jet in it. Plenty of fuel is getting
    through. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Dan. New Zealand

Without seeing it, it would be difficult to say for sure but it sounds like a leak in the system. If so you might be able to tighten something but more likely
    you need to replace a part.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)