• High altitude snakes

From irenegronewald50@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Oldwayne on Wed Dec 14 10:47:48 2016
    On Sunday, February 26, 1995 at 1:53:27 AM UTC-6, Oldwayne wrote:
    Last summer my wife and I were stopped for lunch at First Lake, west of
    Lone Pine. A friendly 3 foot long garter snake crawled all around us and under our day packs. Since the lake is at 10,000, I was surprised to find
    a snake at that altitude. Has anyone else had high altitude snake encounters?
    --wayne
    <Disclaimer not required>

i inherited 20 acres costillica county san luis colorado...an reading about rattle snakes scorpions etc. we visited guffey colorado...a few years back...trompin` around property inherited there...never thought about rattlesnakes there we have copperheads
    in missouri

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From www.ledaladdin.com@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 8 16:07:03 2017
    在 1995年2月26日星期日 UTC+8下午3:53:27,Oldwayne写道:
    Lone Pine. A friendly 3 foot long garter snake crawled all around us and under our day packs. Since the lake is at 10,000, I was surprised to find
    --wayne

Scared to death

http://www.ledaladdin.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dkgg2002@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 21 10:48:00 2018
    A year ago in August of 2016, I was camping at Brush Creek in the Snowy range, above Lincoln Park, in Wyoming. The elevation is around 8000 +feet. I was gathering firewood around 5:30 pm and when walking back to the fire I thought I kicked one of the
    long sticks I was carrying. It felt like I got punched in the lower right shin. I got back to the site dropped my wood and noticed two holes with rivulets of blood running down from each hole along with a clear fluid. I noticed a blue line coming down
    under the skin from each hole. I stupidly said that stick I kicked poked two holes in my leg. We had already talked about how there were no rattlesnakes at this elevation. So I watched it bleed for a little then cleaned it with baby wipes and put on a
    bandaid. I had trouble sleeping that night , severe heart burn and heart palpitations. We got home about 2 the next day and not feeling well I went to bed. Woke up around 5 and showered and then decided to pull of my bandaid and see what that stick did
    to me. It was like a light bulb turned on. No mistaking that for anything but a snakebite. So I called the hospital and uploaded pictures , sent one to a friend whose brother is a self made snake expert. I realized it was more of a dry bite. The nurse
    said “to be careful because their mouths are very dirty and secondary infection is a problem. “ My mistake in not being careful was thinking that there could not be any rattle snakes up there. So I did something I don’t usually do and changed from
    jeans and boots into shorts and slip on shoes. A friend camping with me heard rattles when we first got there and I confidently told her it was something else because there are no snakes that high up. I never saw the snake but it was undeniable what
    happened and I was told that the rattlesnake was the only viper in Wyoming. I learned a lesson, “ there’s an exception to every rule.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hlillywh@juno.com@21:1/5 to Diane Giroux on Sun Feb 25 17:22:45 2018
    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:48:02 AM UTC-8, Diane Giroux wrote:
    I learned a lesson, “ there’s an exception to every rule.”

Interesting, but I don't like your last phrase. One of my pet peeves is the nonsensical claim that there is an exception to every rule, often stated in even
    sillier wording as the exception proves the rule. The exception proves the rule *wrong*! In fact, many scientific advances have followed when someone found a case that did not follow the then accepted rule. Investigating why often leads to
    improved understanding, ie. to a better rule.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jameshinson750@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 24 00:46:51 2018
    We offer personal, commercial and business loans with very minimal annual interest rates as low as 3% within 1 year to 50 years repayment duration period to any part of the world. We give out loans within the range of $5,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 . Our
    loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority. Interested persons should contact me via E-mail below.

Lender's Email: sloanslimited@gmail.com
    Phone#: +1-254-242-0879

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmgman@swbell.net@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 20 15:35:42 2018
    "The exception proves the rule" is true, particularly if you take the archaic meaning of "Prove": "to test".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lauriekrebs@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Oldwayne on Mon Nov 5 11:17:27 2018
    On Sunday, February 26, 1995 at 12:53:27 AM UTC-7, Oldwayne wrote:
    --wayne

In 2015, while hiking up the Taos Ski Valley Road (In July) I encountered a large snake motoring casually across the road approximately East to West. I was at approximately 8,800.00 to 9000 feet). She (I'm pretty sure it was a girl: girth, tail shape,
    and length) was not too happy with me shooing her off the road but I did not want her to get hit. She looked like a gopher/bullsnake, but I did not get close enough to verify. She gave me a final hiss and wandered off into the tall grass beside the road.
    I watched her move for about fifty feet then returned to my hike. I was startled to see her at such a high altitude, her shininess and sassiness indicated to me she was in good health.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05