• Mud or Quicksand

From Pelicanipteryx@outlook.com@21:1/5 to SD4...@webtv.net on Wed Sep 4 03:03:54 2019
    On Saturday, 21 March 1998 08:00:00 UTC, SD4...@webtv.net wrote:
    Has anyone ever had an experience with deep mud or quicksand while they
    were hiking. From what I understand it does exist and some people have
    had problems because of it. Let me know if you have ever been in it,

Thanks,
    Andy

Not while I was hiking, but I was on a casual morning jog when I slipped and fell into a large mud pit when I was 12.

The ground was wet and slippery so I ended up sliding down a short 2-3 meter dirt cliff into a big pit of mud, straight up to my thighs. I was scared and confused so the first thing I did was panic. I tried a lot of things to get out, but my struggling
    inevitably made me sink much deeper.

I was up to my neck in the mud when 3 older teenagers found me and agreed to rescue me, as I continued to slowly descend into the muck. I was terrified and I was sure I would drown! Eventually, I sank deep enough for the mud to engulf my whole face too.
    But luckily the guys managed to rescue me before I drowning :)

Damage was still done though - I had multiple X-ray scans and doctors appointments because I tore a couple of neck muscles and my lungs had some mud inside them. A few tetnas shots and some less intensive excersice later and I was back to normal :D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From hlillywh@juno.com@21:1/5 to Pelican...@outlook.com on Sun Sep 8 19:15:16 2019
    On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:03:56 AM UTC-7, Pelican...@outlook.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 21 March 1998 08:00:00 UTC, SD4...@webtv.net wrote:
    Has anyone ever had an experience with deep mud or quicksand while they were hiking. From what I understand it does exist and some people have
    had problems because of it. Let me know if you have ever been in it,

Thanks,
    Andy

Not while I was hiking, but I was on a casual morning jog when I slipped and fell into a large mud pit when I was 12.

The ground was wet and slippery so I ended up sliding down a short 2-3 meter dirt cliff into a big pit of mud, straight up to my thighs. I was scared and confused so the first thing I did was panic. I tried a lot of things to get out, but my struggling
    inevitably made me sink much deeper.

I was up to my neck in the mud when 3 older teenagers found me and agreed to rescue me, as I continued to slowly descend into the muck. I was terrified and I was sure I would drown! Eventually, I sank deep enough for the mud to engulf my whole face too.
    But luckily the guys managed to rescue me before I drowning :)

Damage was still done though - I had multiple X-ray scans and doctors appointments because I tore a couple of neck muscles and my lungs had some mud inside them. A few tetnas shots and some less intensive excersice later and I was back to normal :D

You must have really panicked to get that far into the mud. The human body has a specific gravity of just over 1. For mud and quicksand it is above 1.7. You will effectively float if you just stay still. To sink you have to pretty much swim downward.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pelicanipteryx@outlook.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 27 09:58:55 2019
    Yeah, I feel really stupid now, I should have known that struggling around would just make me sink deeper...It wasn't all that thick so it was reasonably easy to sink right in. The one guy who rescued me was able to swim easily and now that I also know
    how to swim, I know that I am prepared for anything similar happening in the future :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05