• Who was the woman in Into Thin Air?

From jim@worldline.ca@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 29 22:13:57 2016
    On Tuesday, April 14, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Nospam1933 wrote:
    I have a question of total irrelevance. Maybe someone can help. This is a question for those who know something about Scott Fischer's ill-fated 1996 Everest expedition. In Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air, p. 127, he tells of
    the Sherpas' superstition in blaming bad weather on Everest on the illicit "sause-making" between a female member on Fischer's team and another member of
    an expedition attempting Lhotse. At the bottom of page 127 he goes on to say,
    "Sandy Pittman had noted this superstition in her diary..." Now the quesiton is who was this female? It looks like Krakauer was not referring to Sandy Pittman, although at times he was trying to villify her and the mention of Pittman on the same page might have been a deliberate attempt to confuse the readers. There were five female members: Sandy Hill Pittman(who was married), Dr. Ingrid Hunt, Charlotte Fox, Lene Gammelgaard, and Jane Bromet. Who was this female that defiled the peaks of Sagarmatha or Chomalungma?

I asked this same question on Backpacker's Basecamp website and some said that
    this mystery woman was Sandy Pittman whose boyfriend came to camp II, but Sandy
    Pittman was(still is?) married to Bob Pittman at the time. I also saw the TV movie but don't remember the identity of this woman was revealed even obliquely. Any ideas?

it was sandy pittman ..she was scrtewing a young skier at base camp

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Chick Tower@21:1/5 to jim@worldline.ca on Mon Oct 31 01:07:29 2016
    On 2016-10-30, jim@worldline.ca <jim@worldline.ca> wrote:
    On Tuesday, April 14, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Nospam1933 wrote:....

it was sandy pittman ..she was scrtewing a young skier at base camp

I sure hope the OP has been following r.b.c. these 18.5 years.
    --
    Chick Tower

For e-mail: rbc DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From doriangossy@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 21 12:05:49 2017
    On Tuesday, April 14, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Nospam1933 wrote:
    I have a question of total irrelevance. Maybe someone can help. This is a question for those who know something about Scott Fischer's ill-fated 1996 Everest expedition. In Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air, p. 127, he tells of
    the Sherpas' superstition in blaming bad weather on Everest on the illicit "sause-making" between a female member on Fischer's team and another member of
    "Sandy Pittman had noted this superstition in her diary..." Now the quesiton is who was this female? It looks like Krakauer was not referring to Sandy Pittman, although at times he was trying to villify her and the mention of Pittman on the same page might have been a deliberate attempt to confuse the readers. There were five female members: Sandy Hill Pittman(who was married), Dr. Ingrid Hunt, Charlotte Fox, Lene Gammelgaard, and Jane Bromet. Who was this female that defiled the peaks of Sagarmatha or Chomalungma?

Pittman was(still is?) married to Bob Pittman at the time. I also saw the TV movie but don't remember the identity of this woman was revealed even obliquely. Any ideas?

If anyone's still interested in this issue, Sandy Hill Pittman met snowboarder Stephen Koch at Everest in 1996, & they lived together in NYC afterward until 1997...is this the likely "jiggy-jiggy" adulterous couple that so distressed the Sherpas in 1996,
    mentioned in Krakauer's book?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hughgreentree@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 26 20:31:46 2017
    I have a different theory. There was a French female climber on the 1996 Lhotse expedition who was notorious for getting involved with fellow climbers. Chantal Mauduit. David Breashears wrote about some of her misadventures in his autobiography (as well
    as about her death). I suspect that she got involved with one of the men in Fischer's expedition.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From www.ledaladdin.com@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 8 16:14:44 2017
    在 1998年4月14日星期二 UTC+8下午3:00:00,Nospam1933写道:

Although Anatoli's book doesn't mention their "disgracing the mountain", he also mentions that this couple was pretty close.

http://www.sanlibang.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From djh2140@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 10 20:11:00 2018
    On Tuesday, April 14, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Nospam1933 wrote:

Sandy was screwing the snowboarder Steve Koch at base camp.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05