• Extra Fuel

From michaelwinters342@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 7 22:55:32 2018
    What my instructor told me, is the ultralight completely assembled wing and everything and 5 gallons of fuel in the tank has to weigh 254 lb or less, but as far as the weight limit goes it didn't say you could not carry extra fuel, it didn't say after
    you sit in it it couldn't way but 254 lb, if it's saying you plus the ultralight has to be 254 pounds hardly anybody could fly, if you look up TC trike you'll notice in the picture he's carrying a 5 gallon tank underneath the truck, granted in the fuel
    tank itself that's operating the engine there's only 5 gallons, but what he told me was it didn't say you couldn't carry more it just can't be running the engine, I don't know that to be true but that's what I was told by him

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From augerr@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ggle...@minn.net on Sun Sep 2 10:47:37 2018
    On Friday, September 8, 2000 at 6:08:48 AM UTC-5, ggle...@minn.net wrote:
    Q wrote:

No Mr. FAA man, that's not an extra fuel tank, it's a 6 inch diameter fuel line.

Q

You got the answer.

gil leiter
    MAPLEWOOD, MN

ggl....@minn.net wrote:

a. Determination of Fuel Capacity. (underlined)

The total volume, including all available space for usable and unusable fuel in the fuel tank or tanks on the vehicle is the total
    fuel capacity. The fuel in the lines, pump, strainer, or carburetor
    is not considered in the calculation of total volume.

Way back in the day, some Nascar driver did that very thing, enlarge the fuel line diameter, until NASCAR got wise and made a restriction on that too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Margaret&chris Kurtz@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 17 08:11:20 2018
    On Sunday, September 3, 2000 at 3:27:51 PM UTC-5, Gene6173 wrote:
    I try not to comment unless I am reasonably sure of my answer, but I should know better than to make a flat-out statement regarding any interpretation of
    103. I did that recently when I asserted that it was legal to carry extra fuel
    if it wasn't plumbed into the fuel supply system.

FAR 103 states that an ultralight vehicle is one that: Has a fuel capacity not
    exceeding 5 US gallons. I take it to mean a fuel supply system must not have more than a 5 gallon capacity. Two more reasons: 1. My instructor stated that it was legal, (a little lame), and 2, I saw an inspector check the 2.5 gal fuel
    can tied behind the seat of an MX, apparently to be sure it wasn't plumbed, then continue on his way. That's good enough for me.

I may or not be correct, I don't know. I may never know unless an inspector shows up to check my MXL. I don't think anyone else can state, with any degree
    of certainty, that a different interpretation is correct. I suspect that different inspectors interpret 103 in differing ways. Of course we could all play it safe and never, never carry more that 5 gallons.

Gene

my contention after watching my dad deal with the FAA for 28 years in his flight school is one thing for certain you will never pin an FAA guy down on any thing regarding rules. and if you ask a dozen inspectors on their interpretation of the rules
    without a doubt you will get a dozen different points of view. i have carried extra fuel on my weedhopper. but never landed where there was a possibility of a ramp check. not saying i was legal again its all up to the individual inspector. one reason
    when i got my S.E.L. i took my check ride with a designee not an FAA guy. After dealing with them for so long my dad said id have better luck with the designee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Margaret&chris Kurtz@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 17 08:01:37 2018
    On Sunday, September 3, 2000 at 3:27:51 PM UTC-5, Gene6173 wrote:
    I try not to comment unless I am reasonably sure of my answer, but I should know better than to make a flat-out statement regarding any interpretation of
    103. I did that recently when I asserted that it was legal to carry extra fuel
    if it wasn't plumbed into the fuel supply system.

FAR 103 states that an ultralight vehicle is one that: Has a fuel capacity not
    exceeding 5 US gallons. I take it to mean a fuel supply system must not have more than a 5 gallon capacity. Two more reasons: 1. My instructor stated that it was legal, (a little lame), and 2, I saw an inspector check the 2.5 gal fuel
    can tied behind the seat of an MX, apparently to be sure it wasn't plumbed, then continue on his way. That's good enough for me.

I may or not be correct, I don't know. I may never know unless an inspector shows up to check my MXL. I don't think anyone else can state, with any degree
    of certainty, that a different interpretation is correct. I suspect that different inspectors interpret 103 in differing ways. Of course we could all play it safe and never, never carry more that 5 gallons.

Gene

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05