• Ellery Queen and the mystery of the Banana Triangle!

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 28 17:24:28 2023
    I just got word that the new OLC triangle is the Banana Triangle, those guys out in Minden have come up with a new OLC type scoring adventure called the Banana Triangle, kind of reminds me of those guys flying up and down HWY27 and cutting across to Avon
    Park and calling it a great day. Yet the Minden Maidens have altitude on their side. Maybe I should just pack up mu LOWLY 27 and head west to the fruit market and pick a few bananas. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jim Lee@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 30 21:02:03 2023
    Bob, you are really dating yourself now. Ellery Queen from 1929? Just how old are you anyhow?
    Concerning the banana thing, I can clue you in on what it means. No the Minden Wave Cowboys (the Germans coined this term) did not come up with this. It is an old, well established term describing which way you went. You see, it is rare that someone
    follows the course line exactly. You either curve right or left of the course line, depending on which way you think is faster. As in, "I took the right banana, but the left banana was faster". That is the essence of glider racing, knowing which
    banana to take. Sebastian Kawa is in Minden right now and he was studying the runway exit points while eating a banana. That is not what we are talking about here. Don't get confused.
    So when you arc through the needle, curving left as you go west, you are taking the right banana. The course line would take you through R2901, and of course you can't do that. So you follow the right banana. See, you are doing it already and you didn'
    t even know it!
    But we love bananas, so if you want to come out here, please bring some bananas with you. It takes some big bananas to fly out here. And the lowly 27's eat this place up so you will be well equipped to handle our bananas.
    This is pretty cool, Bob, talking about bananas instead of engines and separating glider pilots into two competing factions! Maybe we can keep this thing going by talking about other cool glider tricks instead of who is the better purist. How about the
    Dipsy Doodle? Another cool glider trick.
    All in good fun Bob (only minimal jabs intended), just in case those reading can't read between the lines. Great to see you at SLG and Cordele this year.
    BTW, we have some very interesting weather here on Sunday. Stay tuned.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim Lee on Mon Jul 3 07:13:23 2023
    On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 12:02:06 AM UTC-4, Jim Lee wrote:
    Bob, you are really dating yourself now. Ellery Queen from 1929? Just how old are you anyhow?
    Concerning the banana thing, I can clue you in on what it means. No the Minden Wave Cowboys (the Germans coined this term) did not come up with this. It is an old, well established term describing which way you went. You see, it is rare that someone
    follows the course line exactly. You either curve right or left of the course line, depending on which way you think is faster. As in, "I took the right banana, but the left banana was faster". That is the essence of glider racing, knowing which banana
    to take. Sebastian Kawa is in Minden right now and he was studying the runway exit points while eating a banana. That is not what we are talking about here. Don't get confused.
    So when you arc through the needle, curving left as you go west, you are taking the right banana. The course line would take you through R2901, and of course you can't do that. So you follow the right banana. See, you are doing it already and you didn'
    t even know it!
    But we love bananas, so if you want to come out here, please bring some bananas with you. It takes some big bananas to fly out here. And the lowly 27's eat this place up so you will be well equipped to handle our bananas.
    This is pretty cool, Bob, talking about bananas instead of engines and separating glider pilots into two competing factions! Maybe we can keep this thing going by talking about other cool glider tricks instead of who is the better purist. How about the
    All in good fun Bob (only minimal jabs intended), just in case those reading can't read between the lines. Great to see you at SLG and Cordele this year.
    Thanks Jim, such a good description of the Banana Trick. Yes, I guess I have been doing it for quiet a while and never looked at it as a Banana, was mainly trying to focus on dodging F16's and 18's as you well know the area around 2901, so next year you
    could be the first guy or gal from SLG to thread the needle, I will have a bowl of mango ice cream ready at X52.
    Cannot wait to hear about the Dipsy Doodle, is that just a motorglider guy thing? We have the Lollygag starting the middle of June until October, gives us time to work on our Purist skills and cleaning up the hangar. Good to see you and spend a bit of
    time together in Cordele, keep up the good flights! Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim Lee on Tue Jul 4 13:30:01 2023
    On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 12:02:06 AM UTC-4, Jim Lee wrote:
    follows the course line exactly. You either curve right or left of the course line, depending on which way you think is faster. As in, "I took the right banana, but the left banana was faster". That is the essence of glider racing, knowing which banana
    to take. Sebastian Kawa is in Minden right now and he was studying the runway exit points while eating a banana. That is not what we are talking about here. Don't get confused.
    t even know it!
    Jim. I must say that I knew you had something up your sleeve about the Sunday weather, looks like you picked the right day and conditions to make that great flight, motorglider or not, it was really a great flight. I do have a few questions about you
    guys out there in 12k AGL Land, since you have the Banana gig, do you also have the Zucchini out and return? We only have the Mango dash and the Grapefruit Out and return. Take care my friend, hope to catch up with you again soon. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05