• Re: e: CAUTION - Active Scam Attempt on W&W Classifieds

From Tony@21:1/5 to John Foster on Fri Jun 16 13:15:08 2023
    On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 4:29:36 AM UTC, John Foster wrote:
    On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 11:00:07 AM UTC-6, metca...@gmail.com wrote:
    At 16:25 26 September 2020, John wrote:
    My game is to scam the scammers. I play along and they
    always send a huge check by usps priority that I add to
    my collection. I tease them or play stupid to waste their time.
    I have over 20 fake checks in my collection. I figure
    it costs then some $ to send me the check so why not.
    John
    Excellent, if bold!
    I occasionally play that game with telephone scammers (UK).
    On one occasion I kept the woman on the 'phone for 14mins,
    until I could no longer suppress my mirth. I used an assumed
    querulous voice, and typed everything she told me (but only
    Enter when she finally twigged that I hadn't) - but into Notepad
    rather than at a Command prompt (Mac users: YMMV).

Amazing how furious she was when I reverted to normal
    voice, and she realised that *she* was the dupe!

Solidarity comrades: fight back!
    J.
    I once had a scammer on the phone for 2 1/2 hrs (the "your social security number has been suspended due to fraudulent activity" scam). Some guy with a really thick Indian accent, posing as an agent with a very western name, no doubt calling from a
    call center in India.
    Getting mostly scam spam from my recent W&W posting. Took my phone # off the ad, wish we could type in stuff like 9er54 and filler characters in the e-mail address but it doesn't seem you can do that any longer...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim Newport-Peace@21:1/5 to Tony on Fri Jun 16 22:16:52 2023
    On 16/06/2023 21:15, Tony wrote:
    On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 4:29:36 AM UTC, John Foster wrote:
    On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 11:00:07 AM UTC-6, metca...@gmail.com wrote:
    At 16:25 26 September 2020, John wrote:
    My game is to scam the scammers. I play along and they
    always send a huge check by usps priority that I add to
    my collection. I tease them or play stupid to waste their time.
    I have over 20 fake checks in my collection. I figure
    it costs then some $ to send me the check so why not.
    John
    Excellent, if bold!
    I occasionally play that game with telephone scammers (UK).
    On one occasion I kept the woman on the 'phone for 14mins,
    until I could no longer suppress my mirth. I used an assumed
    querulous voice, and typed everything she told me (but only
    Enter when she finally twigged that I hadn't) - but into Notepad
    rather than at a Command prompt (Mac users: YMMV).

Amazing how furious she was when I reverted to normal
    voice, and she realised that *she* was the dupe!

Solidarity comrades: fight back!
    J.
    I once had a scammer on the phone for 2 1/2 hrs (the "your social security number has been suspended due to fraudulent activity" scam). Some guy with a really thick Indian accent, posing as an agent with a very western name, no doubt calling from a
    call center in India.

There is a web site devoted to spam-baiting: https://www.419eater.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 17 05:49:22 2023
    My favorite scam the scammer bit was when a group convinced the scammer that he needed to join their (fake) church. To become one of the anointed he needed to get a tattoo ... which he did! Most likely that left a PERMANENT impression on this guy. See
    the pictures at https://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Coyne@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 17 20:13:13 2023
    On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 5:49:24 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    My favorite scam the scammer bit was when a group convinced the scammer that he needed to join their (fake) church. To become one of the anointed he needed to get a tattoo ... which he did! Most likely that left a PERMANENT impression on this guy. See
    the pictures at https://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

I recently had a scammer email me about a WingRigger I was selling on W&W. Being recently retired, I must have too much time on my hands and I played along with him. He sent a 'cashiers check' for $2750.00 for my $600.00 WingRigger, said his 'assistant'
    made it out for the wrong amount, and so he fired his assistant. Of course, he asked that I'd deposit the check in my account, and send him the excess amount less the $600.00 for the rigger, and another $50.00 for my trouble. He kept asking if I had
    deposited the check, until I told him that the 'bank officers' had warned me that it was likely a scam, and I offered mail his 'cashiers check' back to him. Have not heard from him in weeks. I feel badly for his assistant though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Charles Coyne on Mon Jun 19 21:26:12 2023
    On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 9:13:15 PM UTC-6, Charles Coyne wrote:
    On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 5:49:24 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    My favorite scam the scammer bit was when a group convinced the scammer that he needed to join their (fake) church. To become one of the anointed he needed to get a tattoo ... which he did! Most likely that left a PERMANENT impression on this guy.
    See the pictures at https://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm
    I recently had a scammer email me about a WingRigger I was selling on W&W. Being recently retired, I must have too much time on my hands and I played along with him. He sent a 'cashiers check' for $2750.00 for my $600.00 WingRigger, said his 'assistant'
    made it out for the wrong amount, and so he fired his assistant. Of course, he asked that I'd deposit the check in my account, and send him the excess amount less the $600.00 for the rigger, and another $50.00 for my trouble. He kept asking if I had
    deposited the check, until I told him that the 'bank officers' had warned me that it was likely a scam, and I offered mail his 'cashiers check' back to him. Have not heard from him in weeks. I feel badly for his assistant though.

When ever someone mails you a "cashier's check" tell them that you did not receive it and mail another. Keep this up until they go away.

The latest scam is some fetching girl wanting to be friends on Facebook. I replied, sure just send me a photo of you with a sign "I like Tom". Well, it degenerated from there. These guys are the WORST - a teenager recently committed suicide after being
    sucked up into their scam.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05