• Preliminary report on the banner plane crash

From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 15 06:27:38 2023
    "Examination of the yaw control system revealed that continuity could be established from the rudder pedals in the cockpit, to the left rudder control horn, but could not be established to the right rudder control horn.
    Examination of the rudder control horn revealed that it was fractured. Further examination also revealed that the face of the fracture displayed corrosion.'' Wonder if there is any way to tell if the fracture was pre or post impact. No matter how good a
    walk around one does, things like that might not be discovered. There is so much you CAN'T see that can kill you.

Everything else in the examination seemed okay. 95000 hours on the airframe. Must have been a typo?

Walt Connelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Thu Jun 15 14:40:57 2023
    On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 9:27:40 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    "Examination of the yaw control system revealed that continuity could be established from the rudder pedals in the cockpit, to the left rudder control horn, but could not be established to the right rudder control horn.
    Examination of the rudder control horn revealed that it was fractured. Further examination also revealed that the face of the fracture displayed corrosion.'' Wonder if there is any way to tell if the fracture was pre or post impact. No matter how good
    a walk around one does, things like that might not be discovered. There is so much you CAN'T see that can kill you.

Everything else in the examination seemed okay. 95000 hours on the airframe. Must have been a typo?

Walt Connelly
    Walt, I have a close up shot of the control system after the crash, I would be the first to say that the control fracture was NOT the resulting factor, release the banner and go home for another day. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 15 15:51:12 2023
    On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 5:40:59 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Examination of the rudder control horn revealed that it was fractured. Further examination also revealed that the face of the fracture displayed corrosion.'' Wonder if there is any way to tell if the fracture was pre or post impact. No matter how
    good a walk around one does, things like that might not be discovered. There is so much you CAN'T see that can kill you.

Walt Connelly
    Walt, I have a close up shot of the control system after the crash, I would be the first to say that the control fracture was NOT the resulting factor, release the banner and go home for another day. OBTP

Bob, I don't think this guy ever picked up the banner. This was the second crash where the pilot lived. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Thu Jun 15 15:53:28 2023
    On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 6:51:14 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Examination of the rudder control horn revealed that it was fractured. Further examination also revealed that the face of the fracture displayed corrosion.'' Wonder if there is any way to tell if the fracture was pre or post impact. No matter how
    good a walk around one does, things like that might not be discovered. There is so much you CAN'T see that can kill you.

Walt Connelly
    Bob, I don't think this guy ever picked up the banner. This was the second crash where the pilot lived. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Walt
    Yes, I was referring to the first one earlier the week prior. My mistake, The fuselage was burned beyond belief, a bad day at Aerial Banners. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From howardbanks31@gmail.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Jun 17 10:14:23 2023
    A Metallurgist with experience looking at fracture surfaces should be able to provide an assessment how long the fracture has been developing, if the fracture originated as a result of fatigue, the exposed crack surface typically would show the reported
    corrosion and its extent would give an indication how long the crack had been developing. Or if it was caused by overload which likely happened in the crash the fracture surface would be quite different and any corrosion would be recent and look quite
    different.
    Should not be difficult.

On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 6:53:37 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 6:51:14 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:

Walt Connelly

Walt
    Yes, I was referring to the first one earlier the week prior. My mistake, The fuselage was burned beyond belief, a bad day at Aerial Banners. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05