• Re: Map making software for contest

From NM@21:1/5 to kevin anderson on Thu May 11 10:08:43 2023
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 12:33:14 PM UTC-4, kevin anderson wrote:
    Help, GlidePlan that I have used for years is no longer compatible with the software upgrades on my computer.

What does everyone else use for map making for contest or record flying?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I use Google My Maps. Check out this link for Region 4N in 2021 https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=123uvbqzPX_qT3McWfGX12TkwNfyuZ7Rl&usp=sharing

All the data in the map is imported from the databases available from - https://soaringweb.org/

This is an interactive map and you can zoom in pretty fine, as well as use different background layers. When preparing printed maps for competition, I print in multiple sections and stitch them together using another program to create a gigantic image
    file. You can see the results here at our competition page for 2022. https://midatlanticsoaring.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=218612&module_id=310488.

To superimpose a flight trace on this map, I convert the IGC file to KMZ using GPS Visualizer, and then import the KMZ into my existing Google turnpoint / airspace map. It comes in as a layer that can be turned on or off.

Nirmal
    "NM"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From NM@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 13 21:10:35 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 1:08:46 PM UTC-4, NM wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 12:33:14 PM UTC-4, kevin anderson wrote:
    Help, GlidePlan that I have used for years is no longer compatible with the software upgrades on my computer.

Thanks

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

I use Google My Maps. Check out this link for Region 4N in 2021 https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=123uvbqzPX_qT3McWfGX12TkwNfyuZ7Rl&usp=sharing

All the data in the map is imported from the databases available from - https://soaringweb.org/

This is an interactive map and you can zoom in pretty fine, as well as use different background layers. When preparing printed maps for competition, I print in multiple sections and stitch them together using another program to create a gigantic image
    file. You can see the results here at our competition page for 2022. https://midatlanticsoaring.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=218612&module_id=310488.

To superimpose a flight trace on this map, I convert the IGC file to KMZ using GPS Visualizer, and then import the KMZ into my existing Google turnpoint / airspace map. It comes in as a layer that can be turned on or off.

Nirmal
    "NM"

Follow up

I have received a few requests for tips on how to generate maps using Google My Maps, and I have responded to those folks directly.

Here are steps required to get you started. Some are quick and some require some painstaking work, but the results are worth it.

TURNPOINTS and AIRPORTS

1. Create a CSV file for your contest using data from https://soaringweb.org/

2. If this file contains both Turnpoints (TP) and Airports display, split into 2 CSV files one for TP and the other for Airports

3. Massage the CSV files to decide what is to be displayed on the map, capitalize names etc, to reflect the way you want them displayed

4. In Google My Maps, create 2 layers by importing these 2 files, one is the TP layer and the other is the Airport layer

5. Set the properties of the TP layer to “Sequence of number” so that the TP numbers show up inside a circle. You can change the color of the circle.

6. Set the properties of the airport layer so you have whatever symbol you want for the airport. You can set to “Uniform Style” so they all look the same or you could chose them to different based on some airport property.

AIRSPACE

7. Import your airspace file into Google maps. You can get them from soaringweb.org under the appropriate contest. If the airspace is not available then you can also get them from https://soaringdata.info/airports/waypoints.php. In this option you need
    to specify a bounding circle for the center airport, and specify the airspace in Google Earth KML format. Each airspace type will get its own layer, and you can fiddle with colors, shading etc.

Steps 1-7 essentially create the interactive map for the contest, and represents all the customization you can do at this stage. Spend your time making sure that everything looks right - names, shading, colors, symbols. Pick the type of base map you
    want to see displayed e.g., satellite, terrain. You may need to iterate with the authors of the underlying data bases in case there are file format issues or data discrepancies. They have always been very helpful

GENERATING OUTPUT

Now for the tedious part since Google maps is not very good at printing what you see. It can generate output in pdf or image format, and the latter format really helps.

8. Mark the outer boundaries of the map that you want to print, by adding another layer to the map. Mark the corners, and maybe some points along the way on each side

9. First try and print that area to a JPG file. I normally use 11 x 17 " for the output size. Portrait or Landscape orientation. See how the detail looks. You may need to zoom in and reprint (create the jpeg, but not actually print at this point).

10. Create a JPEG that represents the entire map print area. I did this by "printing" overlapping sections ( 1/3 overlap) Left to right, top to bottom. It took me 9 high rez images output to 11 x 17. Then use a Microsoft program called Image Composite
    Editor (ICE) to stitch these multiple files into 1 large image file. ICE does it automatically and is very good. Microsoft has discontinued it, but I still have a copy. You can find it here: https://northrup.photo/microsoft-ice/

11. Add legends etc. This will have to be done using a photo editor. I just loaded the image file into PowerPoint and used its features to add all the extra stuff. You can then print to a PDF or image file to whatever sized paper you choose.

12. Print - send the file (s) to Fedex or Staples for printing on sturdy paper. Using steps 8-11 you can create a large image file for the entire contest area to print on a large poster board that can be hung in the pilot meeting area, or can be used to
    design / visualize the tasks.

Steps 9-10 are tedious. There is some trial and error to get the right zoom level for printing the details you want, since what appears on the screen does not always match what is output to the image file. Plan for a few hours for steps 9-10. And be
    prepared that you might find something in step 10 that may make you go back to steps 1-7 to fix a missing item.

But once you get it done, the results are great!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 14 10:07:42 2023
    On Sat, 13 May 2023 21:10:35 -0700 (PDT), NM wrote:

Steps 8 through 11 can also be done using the GIMP https://www.gimp.org/

This is a free image manipulation program for computers running (among
    others) Linux, Mac-OS and Windows.

I use it for everything from assembling large images from smaller ones to converting between image formats, correcting exposures and colour
    temperatures etc, sharpening blurred images and adding comments and
    captions to existing images.

Like all programs of this type, it has a learning curve, but its online
    manual is pretty good and its ability to back out mistakes, right back to
    the original image if you want, is excellent.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to kevin anderson on Sun May 14 05:46:26 2023
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:33:14 AM UTC-7, kevin anderson wrote:

Thanks

Kevin
    How are these maps used for contest flying? Are they printed and carried in the cockpit, with a new one for each day, once the task is known?
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilo@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun May 14 06:02:53 2023
    On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 8:46:27 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Thanks

Kevin
    How are these maps used for contest flying? Are they printed and carried in the cockpit, with a new one for each day, once the task is known?
    Eric
    I make a contest map, cover it with clear contact paper (crafts store, etc.) then you can use permanent marker or thin line tape on it for each day. Alcohol or similar will remove the marker.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 14 07:55:08 2023
    On 5/14/23 7:02 AM, Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

What does everyone else use for map making for contest or record flying? >>>
    Thanks

Kevin
    Eric
    I make a contest map, cover it with clear contact paper (crafts store, etc.) then you can use permanent marker or thin line tape on it for each day. Alcohol or similar will remove the marker.

Make sure you pick up some clear Krylon so you can fix your barogram.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilo@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun May 14 18:23:57 2023
    On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 9:56:26 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:

What does everyone else use for map making for contest or record flying? >>>
    Thanks

Kevin
    Eric
    I used Replogles (?) with the scratch paper, no fixing the smoke trace.
    I also keep a contest map on paper in case of electronics issues, the map, compass, look outside, I can get home.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 08:18:10 2023
    On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 6:23:58 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:33:14 AM UTC-7, kevin anderson wrote: >>> Help, GlidePlan that I have used for years is no longer compatible with the software upgrades on my computer.

Thanks

Kevin
    Eric
    I also keep a contest map on paper in case of electronics issues, the map, compass, look outside, I can get home.
    Since tasks don't have lines and points anymore, just huge circles, and you don't know where you will turn until you actually make the turn, what value does paper chart give you?

Going to paper during a contest day is going to cost you a lot of places that day, so why do it? It's cheap and easy to have a backup flight computer: It can be on your vario, your phone, or a $50 tablet.
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilo@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Mon May 15 13:39:59 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 11:18:12 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 6:23:58 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:33:14 AM UTC-7, kevin anderson wrote: >>> Help, GlidePlan that I have used for years is no longer compatible with the software upgrades on my computer.

Thanks

Kevin
    Eric
    Since tasks don't have lines and points anymore, just huge circles, and you don't know where you will turn until you actually make the turn, what value does paper chart give you?

Going to paper during a contest day is going to cost you a lot of places that day, so why do it? It's cheap and easy to have a backup flight computer: It can be on your vario, your phone, or a $50 tablet.
    Eric
    Like has been said here today...it's my opinion (as well as others) to choose to carry a paper map. Getting something on a contest day (or even a fun flight) to do a flight or get home precludes any electrical issues from doing either.
    But, our choice.
    Sorta like we wear a parachute in at least contests, expensive to buy, maintain, keep nice. But we have them "just in case". You can fun fly with or without, it's a choice.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kevin anderson@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 06:23:43 2023
    Sorry guys, thanks for the replies.

I finally got an old mac out of the closet, and after charging the battery enough to get it to work, I was able to get glide plan 2 working on it, enough to get the serial number out of it and it up and going on the desktop windows computer.

Upset that the new chip in the MacBook air has some compatibility problem with glide plan.

Map made and hopefully in good shape for a while now.

Kevin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 27 13:39:35 2023
    I don't want to get into the "why have paper maps in 2023?" debate but I still like having one in the cockpit, preferably the traditional Sectional charts I've been using since the mid 1960s. I import the Sectional files into SeeYou and use the
    instructions on their site to highlight the TPs, select the contest area, and print to a PDF in letter size format. Then I paste/tape the sheets together to make a full-size sectional and laminate it with clear Contact paper. Yeah, it's old school, but
    it works. The TPs don't show up that well so I also add little white squares of paper with the TP #s printed, so it's some effort to create the map for each contest.

That said, the folks at Mifflin had an OUTSTANDING contest map available (that I didn't acquire until after the big ridge day this year--ugh) that I'd love to have for other mountain/ridge sites. The relief style makes it much easier to plan and track
    flights along and over the ridge systems there, and includes the TPs as well. Not sure where it came from (and it's in the glider/trailer now so I can't check) but I intend to find out how it was put together.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat May 27 16:00:28 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 11:18:12 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Thanks

Kevin
    Eric

Eric
    Using a map for flight planning can be very valuable, even if not used for navigation.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From david.s.sherrill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Chip Bearden on Sun May 28 05:51:29 2023
    My understanding is that the Mifflin ridge map was created by a now-retired professional printer using GIS software. I do not know if MSA has someone who can update it, but I hope to get a look at this year's contest map before long.

...david

On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 4:39:37 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
    Not sure where it came from (and it's in the glider/trailer now so I can't check) but I intend to find out how it was put together.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From India November@21:1/5 to Chip Bearden on Sun May 28 10:48:02 2023
    On Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 4:39:37 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
    I don't want to get into the "why have paper maps in 2023?" debate but I still like having one in the cockpit, preferably the traditional Sectional charts I've been using since the mid 1960s. I import the Sectional files into SeeYou and use the
    instructions on their site to highlight the TPs, select the contest area, and print to a PDF in letter size format. Then I paste/tape the sheets together to make a full-size sectional and laminate it with clear Contact paper. Yeah, it's old school, but
    it works. The TPs don't show up that well so I also add little white squares of paper with the TP #s printed, so it's some effort to create the map for each contest.

That said, the folks at Mifflin had an OUTSTANDING contest map available (that I didn't acquire until after the big ridge day this year--ugh) that I'd love to have for other mountain/ridge sites. The relief style makes it much easier to plan and track
    flights along and over the ridge systems there, and includes the TPs as well. Not sure where it came from (and it's in the glider/trailer now so I can't check) but I intend to find out how it was put together.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

After all, paper is thin, lightweight, low power drain, daylight readable... :-D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05