• Volkslogger Loggers 2 Dead or alive?

From Gregg Leslie@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 11 06:38:15 2023
    I have acquired 2 older volkslogger 1.0 loggers, Im not sure if they are worth anything. Any ideas?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to Gregg Leslie on Thu May 11 08:14:36 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 9:38:17 AM UTC-4, Gregg Leslie wrote:
    I have acquired 2 older volkslogger 1.0 loggers, Im not sure if they are worth anything. Any ideas?

They probably suffer from the GPS epoch problem unless they have been updated. Support page at https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=401 says "Due to a lack of components and spare parts, we can, unfortunately, no longer offer repair services for legacy
    Volkslogger units."

If working, they can be used, though they may take a while to lock on, on first use; they will deliver an IGC file, but it is not usable since the date will be wrong. They work ok to drive some PDAs (I used a VL driving my Dell Streak/XCSoar and it
    worked well). According to the latest IGC approval summary I can find (Jul/2020), if they don't suffer the date problem, they are "Level 2 - All IGC Badges & Distance Diplomas. This applies to types of FRs that do not fulfill the Specification in a few
    areas at the time of approval, but it has been decided that they be used for flights except for World Records. It is also used for old types of FRs that initially were at Level 1, but due to increases in the conditions of the FR Specification, are no
    longer eligible for the World Record level."

The latest approval document is at: https://www.ukiws.uk/GFAC/approvals/garrecht.pdf and is dated in May 2020.

To upload and download, you will need a USB-to-serial converter (or a PC with serial port, which are getting rare) and I recall my VL was picky about which one it would work with. Also, the older VLs had binder 5 pin connectors (newer ones use RJ-45) ,
    and if you rotate the pin with power on the cable it was probable you could kill the security seal. There are people around who still can calibrate them, and they record up to 20 km pressure altitude (65,000')/13 km (or 20 km depending on GPS module used)
    GPS altitude, which is far higher than, say PowerFLARM CORE which records to 8191 m (26,873 ft) - which wouldn't have been enough for my Diamond Altitude. It might be worthwhile keeping one around to use as an electronic barograph if you intend to do
    wave flying in Colorado, for Diamond Altitudes. I still have mine functioning as a paperweight on my desk, might bring it up to get my 2 Lennie pin someday.

The display is basic, but does give steering to points; it beeps when you pass waypoints, but if it's a sharp turn, it may turn you early to intercept the outbound track, and you might not make the turnpoint (ask me how I know). Downloads are slow if you
    select the IGC certified type - 'calculating key' for a long time, then a short download once that's done. The quick download works well.

All in all, maybe useful, but something like an original Nano with Bluetooth and a PDA are a much better set up. I was surprised they retained IGC approval when contemporaries lost theirs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to Gregg Leslie on Thu May 11 08:37:27 2023
    As far as I know, they make for great paper-weights or conversation starters!
    I use one as a GPS-source for my SN10b and it only works since D. Nadler has updated the SN10 to correct the date and time, so the files it creates are still acceptable.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis vreeken@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 11 18:54:38 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 8:37:29 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
    As far as I know, they make for great paper-weights or conversation starters!
    I use one as a GPS-source for my SN10b and it only works since D. Nadler has updated the SN10 to correct the date and time, so the files it creates are still acceptable.

Uli
    'AS'
    a small rope and two of them may make a wheel chock

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Gregg Leslie on Thu May 11 22:17:32 2023
    On 5/11/2023 9:38 AM, Gregg Leslie wrote:

I have one from which the 5-pin round connector has been removed,
    otherwise intact. If anybody has a use for it, pay the shipping and
    it's yours. (Located in Vermont, USA.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Remde@21:1/5 to Gregg Leslie on Fri May 12 05:07:19 2023
    Hi Gregg,

I recommend you take them for a drive. If they log a flight log with the correct date, they are fine. That is pretty unlikely, but possible.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 8:38:17 AM UTC-5, Gregg Leslie wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Paul Remde on Fri May 12 13:36:31 2023
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 8:07:21 AM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
    Hi Gregg,

I recommend you take them for a drive. If they log a flight log with the correct date, they are fine. That is pretty unlikely, but possible.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 8:38:17 AM UTC-5, Gregg Leslie wrote:
    Last I checked, they were still usable for silver & gold with paper dec regardless of the y2k issue, and it was possible to get them reworked in Germany, setting all that aside - including cost-benefit analyses. Streckenflugplanung (Strepla) is no longer
    supported either...if anyone wants mine, send me postage. No cables.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 12 20:38:56 2023
    If the Volkslogger wasn't such newfangled technology compared to the iconic Cambridge L-NAV or the earlier B-NAV, Steve Leonard would probably buy every one he could find on eBay just so no other collector of obsolete equipment might amass a larger
    amount of memorabilia than he has. Gotta have standards. They can be low standards, but they are still standards.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gregg Leslie@21:1/5 to Dan Daly on Sat May 13 15:49:14 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 11:14:38 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
    They probably suffer from the GPS epoch problem unless they have been updated. Support page at https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=401 says "Due to a lack of components and spare parts, we can, unfortunately, no longer offer repair services for
    legacy Volkslogger units."

If working, they can be used, though they may take a while to lock on, on first use; they will deliver an IGC file, but it is not usable since the date will be wrong. They work ok to drive some PDAs (I used a VL driving my Dell Streak/XCSoar and it
    worked well). According to the latest IGC approval summary I can find (Jul/2020), if they don't suffer the date problem, they are "Level 2 - All IGC Badges & Distance Diplomas. This applies to types of FRs that do not fulfill the Specification in a few
    areas at the time of approval, but it has been decided that they be used for flights except for World Records. It is also used for old types of FRs that initially were at Level 1, but due to increases in the conditions of the FR Specification, are no

The latest approval document is at: https://www.ukiws.uk/GFAC/approvals/garrecht.pdf and is dated in May 2020.

To upload and download, you will need a USB-to-serial converter (or a PC with serial port, which are getting rare) and I recall my VL was picky about which one it would work with. Also, the older VLs had binder 5 pin connectors (newer ones use RJ-45) ,
    and if you rotate the pin with power on the cable it was probable you could kill the security seal. There are people around who still can calibrate them, and they record up to 20 km pressure altitude (65,000')/13 km (or 20 km depending on GPS module used)
    GPS altitude, which is far higher than, say PowerFLARM CORE which records to 8191 m (26,873 ft) - which wouldn't have been enough for my Diamond Altitude. It might be worthwhile keeping one around to use as an electronic barograph if you intend to do
    wave flying in Colorado, for Diamond Altitudes. I still have mine functioning as a paperweight on my desk, might bring it up to get my 2 Lennie pin someday.

The display is basic, but does give steering to points; it beeps when you pass waypoints, but if it's a sharp turn, it may turn you early to intercept the outbound track, and you might not make the turnpoint (ask me how I know). Downloads are slow if
    you select the IGC certified type - 'calculating key' for a long time, then a short download once that's done. The quick download works well.

All in all, maybe useful, but something like an original Nano with Bluetooth and a PDA are a much better set up. I was surprised they retained IGC approval when contemporaries lost theirs.

If anyone wants them speak now, otherwise they are going to be recycled..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ernesto / 2TK@21:1/5 to Gregg Leslie on Fri Aug 18 15:00:33 2023
    On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 6:49:16 PM UTC-4, Gregg Leslie wrote:
    They probably suffer from the GPS epoch problem unless they have been updated. Support page at https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=401 says "Due to a lack of components and spare parts, we can, unfortunately, no longer offer repair services for

To upload and download, you will need a USB-to-serial converter (or a PC with serial port, which are getting rare) and I recall my VL was picky about which one it would work with. Also, the older VLs had binder 5 pin connectors (newer ones use RJ-45)
    , and if you rotate the pin with power on the cable it was probable you could kill the security seal. There are people around who still can calibrate them, and they record up to 20 km pressure altitude (65,000')/13 km (or 20 km depending on GPS module
    used) GPS altitude, which is far higher than, say PowerFLARM CORE which records to 8191 m (26,873 ft) - which wouldn't have been enough for my Diamond Altitude. It might be worthwhile keeping one around to use as an electronic barograph if you intend to
    do wave flying in Colorado, for Diamond Altitudes. I still have mine functioning as a paperweight on my desk, might bring it up to get my 2 Lennie pin someday.

The display is basic, but does give steering to points; it beeps when you pass waypoints, but if it's a sharp turn, it may turn you early to intercept the outbound track, and you might not make the turnpoint (ask me how I know). Downloads are slow if
    you select the IGC certified type - 'calculating key' for a long time, then a short download once that's done. The quick download works well.

Has it been recycled? I'm looking for a GPS for a SN10B I just acquired.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 19 08:17:27 2023
    On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 5:00:36 PM UTC-5, Ernesto / 2TK wrote:

To upload and download, you will need a USB-to-serial converter (or a PC with serial port, which are getting rare) and I recall my VL was picky about which one it would work with. Also, the older VLs had binder 5 pin connectors (newer ones use RJ-
    45) , and if you rotate the pin with power on the cable it was probable you could kill the security seal. There are people around who still can calibrate them, and they record up to 20 km pressure altitude (65,000')/13 km (or 20 km depending on GPS
    module used) GPS altitude, which is far higher than, say PowerFLARM CORE which records to 8191 m (26,873 ft) - which wouldn't have been enough for my Diamond Altitude. It might be worthwhile keeping one around to use as an electronic barograph if you
    intend to do wave flying in Colorado, for Diamond Altitudes. I still have mine functioning as a paperweight on my desk, might bring it up to get my 2 Lennie pin someday.

The display is basic, but does give steering to points; it beeps when you pass waypoints, but if it's a sharp turn, it may turn you early to intercept the outbound track, and you might not make the turnpoint (ask me how I know). Downloads are slow
    if you select the IGC certified type - 'calculating key' for a long time, then a short download once that's done. The quick download works well.

Ernesto, get yourself a FLARM as a GPS source for your SN10.
    SN10 will correct epoch error for older GPS, but that's only in the SN10 flight log,
    which is accepted for OLC but not IGC badges (don't know if WeGlide takes those logs).
    A FLARM will give you better/easier logging plus collision avoidance help...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ernesto / 2TK@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Sat Aug 19 11:00:50 2023
    On Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 11:17:30 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
    On Friday, August 18, 2023 at 5:00:36 PM UTC-5, Ernesto / 2TK wrote:

If working, they can be used, though they may take a while to lock on, on first use; they will deliver an IGC file, but it is not usable since the date will be wrong. They work ok to drive some PDAs (I used a VL driving my Dell Streak/XCSoar and
    it worked well). According to the latest IGC approval summary I can find (Jul/2020), if they don't suffer the date problem, they are "Level 2 - All IGC Badges & Distance Diplomas. This applies to types of FRs that do not fulfill the Specification in a
    few areas at the time of approval, but it has been decided that they be used for flights except for World Records. It is also used for old types of FRs that initially were at Level 1, but due to increases in the conditions of the FR Specification, are no

To upload and download, you will need a USB-to-serial converter (or a PC with serial port, which are getting rare) and I recall my VL was picky about which one it would work with. Also, the older VLs had binder 5 pin connectors (newer ones use RJ-
    45) , and if you rotate the pin with power on the cable it was probable you could kill the security seal. There are people around who still can calibrate them, and they record up to 20 km pressure altitude (65,000')/13 km (or 20 km depending on GPS
    module used) GPS altitude, which is far higher than, say PowerFLARM CORE which records to 8191 m (26,873 ft) - which wouldn't have been enough for my Diamond Altitude. It might be worthwhile keeping one around to use as an electronic barograph if you
    intend to do wave flying in Colorado, for Diamond Altitudes. I still have mine functioning as a paperweight on my desk, might bring it up to get my 2 Lennie pin someday.

The display is basic, but does give steering to points; it beeps when you pass waypoints, but if it's a sharp turn, it may turn you early to intercept the outbound track, and you might not make the turnpoint (ask me how I know). Downloads are
    slow if you select the IGC certified type - 'calculating key' for a long time, then a short download once that's done. The quick download works well.

Ernesto, get yourself a FLARM as a GPS source for your SN10.
    SN10 will correct epoch error for older GPS, but that's only in the SN10 flight log,
    which is accepted for OLC but not IGC badges (don't know if WeGlide takes those logs).
    A FLARM will give you better/easier logging plus collision avoidance help...
    Thank you Dave,
    I do have Flarm Fusion. I will read thru your instructions and figure out the wiring to make the connection possible.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05