• Eric, I made you so proud today.

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 14:59:53 2023
    Eric, I have some news that you will be gloating over for the next few days. I landed out today in the middle of an alligator and snake infested swamp. I did have a few saves from 800 agl but I finally had to stick the bird down. Looking for airboats
    with trailers to assist in the recovery, no damage at all, just superior off field landing by the purist. I will be late for dinner tonight, and possibly be late for breakfast in the morning, but once a purist always a purist. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri May 5 17:07:53 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 2:59:55 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Eric, I have some news that you will be gloating over for the next few days. I landed out today in the middle of an alligator and snake infested swamp. I did have a few saves from 800 agl but I finally had to stick the bird down. Looking for airboats
    with trailers to assist in the recovery, no damage at all, just superior off field landing by the purist. I will be late for dinner tonight, and possibly be late for breakfast in the morning, but once a purist always a purist. Old Bob, The Purist

As you recall, I've encouraged you to fly a little farther, a little faster, so when you (apparently) do that, there is no gloating; in fact, I hope it's reason to celebrate your exploration of the limits of your soaring skills, your glider, and Florida
    weather. So, what happened? Misread the weather, get distracted dissing a motorglider pilot over the radio, fooled by lying clouds, or maybe arriving at a good looking area just as it cycled down?
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Fri May 5 17:58:40 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 5:07:55 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    As you recall, I've encouraged you to fly a little farther, a little faster, so when you (apparently) do that, there is no gloating; in fact, I hope it's reason to celebrate your exploration of the limits of your soaring skills, your glider, and
    Florida weather. So, what happened? Misread the weather, get distracted dissing a motorglider pilot over the radio, fooled by lying clouds, or maybe arriving at a good looking area just as it cycled down?
    Eric

Maybe Bobby will put up his motorless glider for sale and order a reliable motorglider. Maintaining motors is less stressful than fighting alligators!

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Fri May 5 18:07:14 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 8:07:55 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    As you recall, I've encouraged you to fly a little farther, a little faster, so when you (apparently) do that, there is no gloating; in fact, I hope it's reason to celebrate your exploration of the limits of your soaring skills, your glider, and
    Florida weather. So, what happened? Misread the weather, get distracted dissing a motorglider pilot over the radio, fooled by lying clouds, or maybe arriving at a good looking area just as it cycled down?
    Eric
    No Eric, I did not go further, nor faster, the problem was that I made a mistake and paid the price, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I made two or three great recoveries from 800 AGL or below and had things going in my direction when the bottom fell
    out. No big deal, tomorrow will bring a new challenge and I will step up to the plate as always.
    Eileen was even shaking her head and saying that I should have known better, but I just laughed and told her to make me a purist drink. Tomorrow brings another challenge, OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 18:10:17 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 8:58:42 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Eric, I have some news that you will be gloating over for the next few days. I landed out today in the middle of an alligator and snake infested swamp. I did have a few saves from 800 agl but I finally had to stick the bird down. Looking for
    airboats with trailers to assist in the recovery, no damage at all, just superior off field landing by the purist. I will be late for dinner tonight, and possibly be late for breakfast in the morning, but once a purist always a purist. Old Bob, The
    Purist
    Eric
    Maybe Bobby will put up his motorless glider for sale and order a reliable motorglider. Maintaining motors is less stressful than fighting alligators!

Tom 2G
    Thomas, I pack my P365 in my glider, landing out is not a problem for me, only a problem for snakes, and alligators and crazy flaming liberals. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 19:09:40 2023
    The words "snakes, alligators, swamp, airboats with trailers" are possibly the best advertisements and recommendations for a motor I have ever seen.

Just sayin'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri May 5 19:09:20 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 6:10:18 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 8:58:42 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Eric, I have some news that you will be gloating over for the next few days. I landed out today in the middle of an alligator and snake infested swamp. I did have a few saves from 800 agl but I finally had to stick the bird down. Looking for
    airboats with trailers to assist in the recovery, no damage at all, just superior off field landing by the purist. I will be late for dinner tonight, and possibly be late for breakfast in the morning, but once a purist always a purist. Old Bob, The
    Purist
    Eric

Tom 2G
    Thomas, I pack my P365 in my glider, landing out is not a problem for me, only a problem for snakes, and alligators and crazy flaming liberals. OBTP

Well, a weapon IS NOT on my preflight checklist, nor would I have imagined that it should be. Getting a trailer into a swamp, however, is a nightmare that I can only imagine. Hopefully, you recorded video of the expedition on your smartphone so the rest
    of us can enjoy what flying in Florida is all about.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat May 6 04:45:35 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 10:09:42 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
    The words "snakes, alligators, swamp, airboats with trailers" are possibly the best advertisements and recommendations for a motor I have ever seen.

Just sayin'

No Macho, this is proof that pure gliders require more skillset than the motorglider pilot. Being prepared for a land out is something that I have told new students on many occasions. I practice the possibility of a land out often, bringing my ASW27 in
    and planning my touchdown point and a very slow approach speed. I guess it was about 40 years ago when my friend Alfonso, E9, would make me practice the fine art of landing out, trust me, nobody did it better than Fonz. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat May 6 08:37:10 2023
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 4:45:36 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 10:09:42 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:

Just sayin'
    No Macho, this is proof that pure gliders require more skillset than the motorglider pilot. Being prepared for a land out is something that I have told new students on many occasions. I practice the possibility of a land out often, bringing my ASW27 in
    and planning my touchdown point and a very slow approach speed. I guess it was about 40 years ago when my friend Alfonso, E9, would make me practice the fine art of landing out, trust me, nobody did it better than Fonz. Old Bob, The Purist

LOL! More disinformation by our resident MG hater, Bobby. OF COURSE, MG pilots prepare for a landout, even if a landout is a low-probability event, which is why I carry emergency supplies. Remember, landing a MG is like landing a non-MG with ballast and
    demands a HIGHER skill level.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat May 6 10:19:29 2023
    Oh, Bob... Please tell me it's not the Rainbow version. https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380-rainbow.html

Dan
    5J

On 5/5/23 19:10, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat May 6 12:14:32 2023
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 12:19:33 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Oh, Bob... Please tell me it's not the Rainbow version. https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380-rainbow.html

Dan
    5J
    No way Dan, I carry only the original version but I do carry more than one clip. Eileen on the other hand also packs for her flights and carries a nice little 38 with six in the drum. The 365 is an exceptional carry tool, lightweight, not too small and
    excellent quality. I store it in a special leather tote that fits back behind my headrest, kind of takes the place of the old barograph, yet weighs less.
    You can never tell when you will encounter a huge gator or a nutcase that wants to rob you. Being in a swamp area at night you can rest assured that a creature has spotted you long before you see it. My good friend here close to Vero has a nice ranch and
    raises lots of cattle his 2K pound prize bull was drug into the canal and killed by a huge gator. So, if a 2000 pound bull can be taken down by a big gator what chance do you that that one might have against such a beast?
    Did get home right at sunrise, was a bit late for dinner but breakfast was good after a long hot shower. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed May 10 15:30:35 2023
    Agree a gun can be helpful in those situations.
    Thankfully, I carry an inreach (and external batteries) which is likely to be even more helpful in bad situations. I also do carry basic survival kit in my landout kit.

Ramy

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 9:55:31 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    It's never been about land owners. It's about mountain or desert
    survival. Spend some time in the Sierras or Cascades with just what you carry in your glider and you might appreciate a firearm.

Having said that, I've spent lots of time in the wilds in survival
    schools without any firearms; just a gore of a parachute and some
    suspension line. Oh, I was a smoker at the time so I had a lighter, but
    it was also nice to have some flint and steel. I have all of those in
    my parachute harness. Do you?

Dan
    5J
    On 5/9/23 21:01, 2G wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 5:49:23 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
    Yep, and the reason why I so much prefer to live and fly in blue state California. Less crazies with guns. Landed out in farm fields many times and yet to be chased by a gun.

Ramy

Oh, REALLY?

You obviously don't know much about CA:
    1. Timothy Joseph McGhee
    2. Angelo Anthony Buono Jr
    3. Wayne Adam Ford
    4. Cary Stayner
    5. Chester Turner
    6. William Bonin
    7. Vincent Brothers
    8. Marcus Wesson
    9. Charles Ng
    and last, but certainly not least:
    10. Charles Manson

There are PLENTY of firearms in CA: https://calmatters.org/health/2018/11/heres-who-owns-guns-in-california-and-why/

I, too, have landed out in a number of farms not in CA and have NEVER been confronted with a gun packing farmer. Now, if you do land at New Hibiscus airpark you MAY be greated by a gun-packing resident.

Tom 2G

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 3:52:00 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 12:40:18 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
    Just curious, when you landout in a farmer field do they always welcome the fact that you show up unexpectedly and carry a gun in their property?

Ramy
    Ramy, this is Florida, not California, we are a RED state not a BLUE hovel, farmers pack as well, the farmer that helped me on Friday had more than one protection articles in his Ford F350. I have no problem telling people that I am packing, about
    75% of the other law abiding citizens in Florida also pack.
    My son is a Structural Engineer PE, he packs as well and so does my wife Eileen, she probably would be the first one in the family to shoot any individual threatening her. Harrison and I would probably just kick your ass and shoot you for fun. Old
    Bob, The Purist
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 12:14:34 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 12:19:33 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote: >>>>>> Oh, Bob... Please tell me it's not the Rainbow version.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380-rainbow.html

Dan
    5J
    No way Dan, I carry only the original version but I do carry more than one clip. Eileen on the other hand also packs for her flights and carries a nice little 38 with six in the drum. The 365 is an exceptional carry tool, lightweight, not too
    small and excellent quality. I store it in a special leather tote that fits back behind my headrest, kind of takes the place of the old barograph, yet weighs less.
    You can never tell when you will encounter a huge gator or a nutcase that wants to rob you. Being in a swamp area at night you can rest assured that a creature has spotted you long before you see it. My good friend here close to Vero has a nice
    ranch and raises lots of cattle his 2K pound prize bull was drug into the canal and killed by a huge gator. So, if a 2000 pound bull can be taken down by a big gator what chance do you that that one might have against such a beast?
    Did get home right at sunrise, was a bit late for dinner but breakfast was good after a long hot shower. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ramy on Wed May 10 15:41:07 2023
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 6:30:37 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
    Agree a gun can be helpful in those situations.
    Thankfully, I carry an inreach (and external batteries) which is likely to be even more helpful in bad situations. I also do carry basic survival kit in my landout kit.

Ramy
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 9:55:31 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    survival. Spend some time in the Sierras or Cascades with just what you carry in your glider and you might appreciate a firearm.

schools without any firearms; just a gore of a parachute and some suspension line. Oh, I was a smoker at the time so I had a lighter, but

Dan
    5J
    Yep, and the reason why I so much prefer to live and fly in blue state California. Less crazies with guns. Landed out in farm fields many times and yet to be chased by a gun.

Ramy

Oh, REALLY?

1. Timothy Joseph McGhee
    3. Wayne Adam Ford
    4. Cary Stayner
    5. Chester Turner
    6. William Bonin
    7. Vincent Brothers
    8. Marcus Wesson
    9. Charles Ng
    10. Charles Manson

There are PLENTY of firearms in CA: https://calmatters.org/health/2018/11/heres-who-owns-guns-in-california-and-why/

I, too, have landed out in a number of farms not in CA and have NEVER been confronted with a gun packing farmer. Now, if you do land at New Hibiscus airpark you MAY be greated by a gun-packing resident.

Tom 2G

Just curious, when you landout in a farmer field do they always welcome the fact that you show up unexpectedly and carry a gun in their property?

Ramy
    Ramy, this is Florida, not California, we are a RED state not a BLUE hovel, farmers pack as well, the farmer that helped me on Friday had more than one protection articles in his Ford F350. I have no problem telling people that I am packing,
    about 75% of the other law abiding citizens in Florida also pack.
    My son is a Structural Engineer PE, he packs as well and so does my wife Eileen, she probably would be the first one in the family to shoot any individual threatening her. Harrison and I would probably just kick your ass and shoot you for fun.
    Old Bob, The Purist
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 12:19:33 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote: >>>>>> Oh, Bob... Please tell me it's not the Rainbow version.

Dan
    5J
    No way Dan, I carry only the original version but I do carry more than one clip. Eileen on the other hand also packs for her flights and carries a nice little 38 with six in the drum. The 365 is an exceptional carry tool, lightweight, not too
    small and excellent quality. I store it in a special leather tote that fits back behind my headrest, kind of takes the place of the old barograph, yet weighs less.
    You can never tell when you will encounter a huge gator or a nutcase that wants to rob you. Being in a swamp area at night you can rest assured that a creature has spotted you long before you see it. My good friend here close to Vero has a nice
    ranch and raises lots of cattle his 2K pound prize bull was drug into the canal and killed by a huge gator. So, if a 2000 pound bull can be taken down by a big gator what chance do you that that one might have against such a beast?
    Ramy, I carry the pistol with 2 extra clips, a flashlight and a mosquito net along with SPOT and a cell phone, in my crew vehicle there is a collection of Rum, Beer, and Water, the water is seldom used. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed May 10 20:20:53 2023
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 2:19:29 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 9:46:27 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
    Alligators aren't a good enough reason to carry a gun?

And BTW, your blue state California isn't nearly as blue out in the
    rural areas where you fly.
    On 5/9/23 8:59 PM, Ramy wrote:
    Totally different situation there. At least people have good reasons to carry guns there. Now back to soaring. I am afraid I am not going to make it to Moriarty this year. Maybe next. Miss our post flying beer time there.

Ramy

On Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 6:53:17 PM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:

Ramy
    I would bet you would have a slightly different outlook if you were living in your home nation of Israel.
    Ask the lady that was recently drug into a lake and killed while walking along the bank some 10 feet away from the water. For your information a gator is faster than a race horse for the first 40 yards. Gators can weigh more than 1000 pounds, so when
    you are walking along the canal better have a gun. OBTP

Hey Booby, then you better be a VERY GOOD SHOT because you will have, maybe, enough time to get off one kill shot (and a 9 mm isn't all that effective against a gator). Remember, in this short period of time you will have to retrieve your gun from where
    ever you have stored it, take off the safety, aim, and shoot. Best you PRACTICE this BEFORE you have to resort to it. Better read this:
    https://gundigest.com/handguns/personal-defense/shot-placement-and-alligators "A bullet from just about anything placed here—in an area about the size of a golf ball—ends all of the excitement immediately."
    Golf ball? REALLY??

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 11 04:11:40 2023
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 11:20:55 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

And BTW, your blue state California isn't nearly as blue out in the rural areas where you fly.
    Totally different situation there. At least people have good reasons to carry guns there. Now back to soaring. I am afraid I am not going to make it to Moriarty this year. Maybe next. Miss our post flying beer time there.

Ramy

Ramy
    I would bet you would have a slightly different outlook if you were living in your home nation of Israel.
    Ask the lady that was recently drug into a lake and killed while walking along the bank some 10 feet away from the water. For your information a gator is faster than a race horse for the first 40 yards. Gators can weigh more than 1000 pounds, so when
    you are walking along the canal better have a gun. OBTP
    Hey Booby, then you better be a VERY GOOD SHOT because you will have, maybe, enough time to get off one kill shot (and a 9 mm isn't all that effective against a gator). Remember, in this short period of time you will have to retrieve your gun from
    where ever you have stored it, take off the safety, aim, and shoot. Best you PRACTICE this BEFORE you have to resort to it. Better read this:
    https://gundigest.com/handguns/personal-defense/shot-placement-and-alligators
    "A bullet from just about anything placed here—in an area about the size of a golf ball—ends all of the excitement immediately."
    Golf ball? REALLY??

Tom 2G
    Terrible Tommy, a gator can be as hard headed as you except for a soft plate area in the top of his head. I have killed many gators, with a 22 caliber rifle, it is the poachers choice. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu May 11 22:25:03 2023
    On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 4:11:42 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 11:20:55 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

And BTW, your blue state California isn't nearly as blue out in the rural areas where you fly.

Ramy

Ramy
    Ask the lady that was recently drug into a lake and killed while walking along the bank some 10 feet away from the water. For your information a gator is faster than a race horse for the first 40 yards. Gators can weigh more than 1000 pounds, so
    when you are walking along the canal better have a gun. OBTP
    Hey Booby, then you better be a VERY GOOD SHOT because you will have, maybe, enough time to get off one kill shot (and a 9 mm isn't all that effective against a gator). Remember, in this short period of time you will have to retrieve your gun from
    where ever you have stored it, take off the safety, aim, and shoot. Best you PRACTICE this BEFORE you have to resort to it. Better read this:
    https://gundigest.com/handguns/personal-defense/shot-placement-and-alligators
    "A bullet from just about anything placed here—in an area about the size of a golf ball—ends all of the excitement immediately."
    Golf ball? REALLY??

Tom 2G
    Terrible Tommy, a gator can be as hard headed as you except for a soft plate area in the top of his head. I have killed many gators, with a 22 caliber rifle, it is the poachers choice. OBTP

Hey Booby, a rifle at a safe distance IS NOT what you are talking about, which is a gator charging you at THIRTY MILES PER HOUR at a close range and a small, handheld 9mm that you are frantically trying to retrieve from you glider. You DO know the
    difference, DON'T YOU???? Not being able to discern the difference smacks of a very UNEDUCATED firearm owner.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri May 12 09:17:50 2023
    On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 12:55:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

schools without any firearms; just a gore of a parachute and some
    suspension line. Oh, I was a smoker at the time so I had a lighter, but

Dan
    5J

Ramy

Oh, REALLY?

1. Timothy Joseph McGhee
    3. Wayne Adam Ford
    4. Cary Stayner
    5. Chester Turner
    6. William Bonin
    7. Vincent Brothers
    8. Marcus Wesson
    9. Charles Ng
    10. Charles Manson

Tom 2G

Ramy
    Ramy, this is Florida, not California, we are a RED state not a BLUE hovel, farmers pack as well, the farmer that helped me on Friday had more than one protection articles in his Ford F350. I have no problem telling people that I am packing, about
    75% of the other law abiding citizens in Florida also pack.
    My son is a Structural Engineer PE, he packs as well and so does my wife Eileen, she probably would be the first one in the family to shoot any individual threatening her. Harrison and I would probably just kick your ass and shoot you for fun. Old
    Bob, The Purist

Dan
    5J

As a graduate of all the USAF survival schools back in the early 70s, Homestead AFB Water Survival School, Fairchild AFB, Combat Crew, Escape and Evasion, Resistance Training School (now known as SERE School) and Clark AFB, PI, Jungle Survival School
    before going to the Vietnam Police Action I remember being told the most important survival tool you could have was between your ears. That being said I would NOT discount that wonderful USAF survival vest with just about every thing you could think of
    to have if you were downed including a knife and a .38 cal S&W M&P revolver left over from the Philippine insurrection. That and the little Negrito who was my instructor at Clark. That little guy had nothing but a loin cloth and a Bolo knife. He
    taught me to start a fire with a bamboo saw, to find water in the jungle, how to cook rice in a piece of bamboo, as if I was going to find some Uncle Ben's enriched white rice somewhere in the jungle.

I always carried four large Tootsie Rolls with me, they didn't melt and would last a long time, had them in a plastic bag.

When can Mihai expect to return to the USofA?

Walt Connelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Fri May 12 16:51:29 2023
    I did not go to snake school as the war ended while I was still flying
    T-38s. But, for my tour in Alaska, I carried an extra big knife and a
    genuine Air Force fishing kit. It even had a pamphlet (with an AFP
    number) and I recall the initial good advice was to select a willow or
    branch and tie the fishing line to the small end. I guess that advice
    was for the Brooklyn natives.

Dan
    5J

On 5/12/23 10:17, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    I always carried four large Tootsie Rolls with me, they didn't melt and would last a long time, had them in a plastic bag.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri May 12 17:33:56 2023
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 6:51:34 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I did not go to snake school as the war ended while I was still flying T-38s. But, for my tour in Alaska, I carried an extra big knife and a genuine Air Force fishing kit. It even had a pamphlet (with an AFP
    number) and I recall the initial good advice was to select a willow or branch and tie the fishing line to the small end. I guess that advice

Dan
    5J

Im a farm boy/country boy so hunting and fishing were familiar to me. Jungle School was actually fun, some of the city boys didn't much care for it especially when we had to hide in the jungle and avoid the Negritos who would get a pound of rice for
    each one of us they caught. I was not caught, I think I was the only one. Water survival was a ball, I grew up on the Florida coast swimming, surfing and scuba diving. I could have missed Fairchild and not cared but it was good training. Again, it's
    what you have between your ears. I inherited a Randall Knife, the hollow handle survival model, I gave it to a local kid who was going to Iraq flying helicopters.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Sat May 13 10:07:08 2023
    I'd forgotten to mention Arctic Survival School, an exercise in being
    cold and bored. One would stand in front of a roaring fire (south of
    Fairbanks so there were actually trees) until you couldn't stand the
    heat and your back was freezing, and then rotate 180 degrees. Repeat.

Then crawl into your own self-made snow cave and try to sleep.

Water was "made" by scooping snow into a piece of parachute cloth and
    hanging by the fire with a can underneath. When the snow was all
    melted, open the parachute to refill but first remove the branches and
    moose and rabbit shit. Refill and repeat.

Memories!

Dan
    5J

On 5/12/23 18:33, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Friday, May 12, 2023 at 6:51:34 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I did not go to snake school as the war ended while I was still flying
    T-38s. But, for my tour in Alaska, I carried an extra big knife and a
    genuine Air Force fishing kit. It even had a pamphlet (with an AFP
    number) and I recall the initial good advice was to select a willow or
    branch and tie the fishing line to the small end. I guess that advice

Dan
    5J

Im a farm boy/country boy so hunting and fishing were familiar to me. Jungle School was actually fun, some of the city boys didn't much care for it especially when we had to hide in the jungle and avoid the Negritos who would get a pound of rice for
    each one of us they caught. I was not caught, I think I was the only one. Water survival was a ball, I grew up on the Florida coast swimming, surfing and scuba diving. I could have missed Fairchild and not cared but it was good training. Again, it's
    what you have between your ears. I inherited a Randall Knife, the hollow handle survival model, I gave it to a local kid who was going to Iraq flying helicopters.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05