• Eyass Glider Pilot

From Shawn Knick@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 25 09:12:57 2023
    I usually do not get involved in a lot of these conversations, there vary on subject and topics. But one I am a little puzzled on. Bob Youngblood, a great guy, excellent tow pilot and a pretty good glider flyer and friend from MIA, I see that some make
    comments that really are not in position to make comments regarding some safety of flight issues. As a DPE (38 yrs+) and Expert Witness in litigation cases (aviation) for over 35 years, I always stand back and usually observed. I think, those that talk a
    lot and have no experience, let’s say a so-called new glider pilot that does not even have 200 hrs making judgment calls on more experienced pilots, well consider the source. If you want to excel in soaring, sit back listen, observe and read! An ole
    saying we have in the expert witness field is: “ those that talk and explain all do not know, those that do not talk, usually know all.”
    So, my young little 200 hr glider pilot, read, listen and observe, it may safe your life one day and the life of your passenger!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Shawn Knick on Tue Apr 25 17:22:08 2023
    On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 12:12:59 PM UTC-4, Shawn Knick wrote:
    I usually do not get involved in a lot of these conversations, there vary on subject and topics. But one I am a little puzzled on. Bob Youngblood, a great guy, excellent tow pilot and a pretty good glider flyer and friend from MIA, I see that some make
    comments that really are not in position to make comments regarding some safety of flight issues. As a DPE (38 yrs+) and Expert Witness in litigation cases (aviation) for over 35 years, I always stand back and usually observed. I think, those that talk a
    lot and have no experience, let’s say a so-called new glider pilot that does not even have 200 hrs making judgment calls on more experienced pilots, well consider the source. If you want to excel in soaring, sit back listen, observe and read! An ole
    saying we have in the expert witness field is: “ those that talk and explain all do not know, those that do not talk, usually know all.”
    So, my young little 200 hr glider pilot, read, listen and observe, it may safe your life one day and the life of your passenger!
    Shawn, your comments are greatly appreciated, and for years I have done over one thousand tows per year to assist other pilots the opportunity to become airborne and enjoy the time in the air so they may fly their gliders. Having logged a few thousand
    hours in gliders that has afforded me the opportunity to learn many aspects of flying gliders. I guess the conclusion is that I am well qualified to make observations on situations when they affect my safety.
    When a new glider pilot has the inability to understand that the tow pilot makes the decision as to whom he or she feels comfortable with enough to tow it should come as no surprise when a marginal situation would allow that tow pilot to pull the plug
    and not put themselves in a dangerous situation. I have had a few close calls while towing, one an extreme kiting event and the other a solo student panicking on tow. Both events I should have released, yet I was more concerned about the glider than I
    was myself.
    As a safety conscious pilot you certainly understand my concerns I have never question a tow pilots decision when I have been on the glider end of the rope, only once has anyone question mine, I think lack of experience was the motivation for his
    complaint. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Apr 25 17:31:49 2023
    On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 5:22:10 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    I usually do not get involved in a lot of these conversations, there vary on subject and topics. But one I am a little puzzled on. Bob Youngblood, a great guy, excellent tow pilot and a pretty good glider flyer and friend from MIA, I see that some
    make comments that really are not in position to make comments regarding some safety of flight issues. As a DPE (38 yrs+) and Expert Witness in litigation cases (aviation) for over 35 years, I always stand back and usually observed. I think, those that
    talk a lot and have no experience, let’s say a so-called new glider pilot that does not even have 200 hrs making judgment calls on more experienced pilots, well consider the source. If you want to excel in soaring, sit back listen, observe and read! An
    ole saying we have in the expert witness field is: “ those that talk and explain all do not know, those that do not talk, usually know all.”
    Shawn, your comments are greatly appreciated, and for years I have done over one thousand tows per year to assist other pilots the opportunity to become airborne and enjoy the time in the air so they may fly their gliders. Having logged a few thousand
    hours in gliders that has afforded me the opportunity to learn many aspects of flying gliders. I guess the conclusion is that I am well qualified to make observations on situations when they affect my safety.
    When a new glider pilot has the inability to understand that the tow pilot makes the decision as to whom he or she feels comfortable with enough to tow it should come as no surprise when a marginal situation would allow that tow pilot to pull the plug
    and not put themselves in a dangerous situation. I have had a few close calls while towing, one an extreme kiting event and the other a solo student panicking on tow. Both events I should have released, yet I was more concerned about the glider than I
    was myself.
    As a safety conscious pilot you certainly understand my concerns I have never question a tow pilots decision when I have been on the glider end of the rope, only once has anyone question mine, I think lack of experience was the motivation for his

Bobby, you HAVE done a lot of tows and I am certain that you are an excellent tow pilot. Where you run amok is when you pontificate on motorgliders, yet have NEVER flown one. Listen to Shawn: you are OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE!

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 25 17:41:19 2023
    On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 8:31:50 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    I usually do not get involved in a lot of these conversations, there vary on subject and topics. But one I am a little puzzled on. Bob Youngblood, a great guy, excellent tow pilot and a pretty good glider flyer and friend from MIA, I see that some
    make comments that really are not in position to make comments regarding some safety of flight issues. As a DPE (38 yrs+) and Expert Witness in litigation cases (aviation) for over 35 years, I always stand back and usually observed. I think, those that
    talk a lot and have no experience, let’s say a so-called new glider pilot that does not even have 200 hrs making judgment calls on more experienced pilots, well consider the source. If you want to excel in soaring, sit back listen, observe and read! An
    ole saying we have in the expert witness field is: “ those that talk and explain all do not know, those that do not talk, usually know all.”
    Shawn, your comments are greatly appreciated, and for years I have done over one thousand tows per year to assist other pilots the opportunity to become airborne and enjoy the time in the air so they may fly their gliders. Having logged a few
    thousand hours in gliders that has afforded me the opportunity to learn many aspects of flying gliders. I guess the conclusion is that I am well qualified to make observations on situations when they affect my safety.
    When a new glider pilot has the inability to understand that the tow pilot makes the decision as to whom he or she feels comfortable with enough to tow it should come as no surprise when a marginal situation would allow that tow pilot to pull the
    plug and not put themselves in a dangerous situation. I have had a few close calls while towing, one an extreme kiting event and the other a solo student panicking on tow. Both events I should have released, yet I was more concerned about the glider than
    I was myself.
    Bobby, you HAVE done a lot of tows and I am certain that you are an excellent tow pilot. Where you run amok is when you pontificate on motorgliders, yet have NEVER flown one. Listen to Shawn: you are OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE!

Tom 2G
    Tom, I have flown more than one motorglider, Shawn knows me well and will attest for my skillset, the reference that Shawn was making is directed at the motorglider pilots lack of experience. Trying to tell a tow pilot what the safety factor is when one
    doesn't even tow speaks for itself. It would be like me telling you about your Wankel engine, as I have no experience with that power platform. I would not mind hooking up and motorglider for a tow , I have done it many times as long as it provides for a
    safe operation. I would even tow you until you proved to me that you were unsafe. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat May 6 08:41:48 2023
    On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 5:41:21 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 8:31:50 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    I usually do not get involved in a lot of these conversations, there vary on subject and topics. But one I am a little puzzled on. Bob Youngblood, a great guy, excellent tow pilot and a pretty good glider flyer and friend from MIA, I see that
    some make comments that really are not in position to make comments regarding some safety of flight issues. As a DPE (38 yrs+) and Expert Witness in litigation cases (aviation) for over 35 years, I always stand back and usually observed. I think, those
    that talk a lot and have no experience, let’s say a so-called new glider pilot that does not even have 200 hrs making judgment calls on more experienced pilots, well consider the source. If you want to excel in soaring, sit back listen, observe and
    read! An ole saying we have in the expert witness field is: “ those that talk and explain all do not know, those that do not talk, usually know all.”
    Shawn, your comments are greatly appreciated, and for years I have done over one thousand tows per year to assist other pilots the opportunity to become airborne and enjoy the time in the air so they may fly their gliders. Having logged a few
    thousand hours in gliders that has afforded me the opportunity to learn many aspects of flying gliders. I guess the conclusion is that I am well qualified to make observations on situations when they affect my safety.
    When a new glider pilot has the inability to understand that the tow pilot makes the decision as to whom he or she feels comfortable with enough to tow it should come as no surprise when a marginal situation would allow that tow pilot to pull the
    plug and not put themselves in a dangerous situation. I have had a few close calls while towing, one an extreme kiting event and the other a solo student panicking on tow. Both events I should have released, yet I was more concerned about the glider than
    I was myself.

Tom 2G
    Tom, I have flown more than one motorglider, Shawn knows me well and will attest for my skillset, the reference that Shawn was making is directed at the motorglider pilots lack of experience. Trying to tell a tow pilot what the safety factor is when
    one doesn't even tow speaks for itself. It would be like me telling you about your Wankel engine, as I have no experience with that power platform. I would not mind hooking up and motorglider for a tow , I have done it many times as long as it provides
    for a safe operation. I would even tow you until you proved to me that you were unsafe. OBTP

What did you fly, a TMG? A couple of flights in type doesn't make you an expert. It would be like me doing a couple of tows and, then, calling myself an expert tow pilot.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05