• The Guys On The Treasure Coast

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 15:10:21 2023
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out os TCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while us down
    here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    There have been us guys on the Treasure Coast to Thread the needle yet none of the Big Dogs from up in Clermont have even attempted to accomplish that objective.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the stick at the
    bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Come on boys, thread the needle, you have motors to save your butt and elevate your ego's. If Jared was here with us misfits he would be the first one to say, "Game On"! Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Apr 7 06:26:16 2023
    On Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 3:10:23 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out os TCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while us
    down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    There have been us guys on the Treasure Coast to Thread the needle yet none of the Big Dogs from up in Clermont have even attempted to accomplish that objective.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the stick at the
    bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Come on boys, thread the needle, you have motors to save your butt and elevate your ego's. If Jared was here with us misfits he would be the first one to say, "Game On"! Old Bob, The Purist
    Spend a week at Seminole, show them how it's done by flying with them in the same area and weather, instead of comparing very different areas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Mon Apr 10 04:47:26 2023
    On Friday, April 7, 2023 at 9:26:19 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while us
    down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Spend a week at Seminole, show them how it's done by flying with them in the same area and weather, instead of comparing very different areas.

Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept your very
    different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most every measure.
    OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Apr 10 10:46:20 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 4:47:28 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while us
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the stick at
    the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Come on boys, thread the needle, you have motors to save your butt and elevate your ego's. If Jared was here with us misfits he would be the first one to say, "Ga me On"! Old Bob, The Purist
    Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept your very
    different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most every measure.
    OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip. It's not
    just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a Hibiscus/
    Seminole/Lykes Brighton triangle. Only 400km - easy in that great Florida weather.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Mon Apr 10 12:49:07 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 1:46:22 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while
    us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the stick at
    the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Come on boys, thread the needle, you have motors to save your butt and elevate your ego's. If Jared was here with us misfits he would be the first one to say, "Ga me On"! Old Bob, The Purist
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most every
    measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip. It's
    not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a
    Hibiscus/Seminole/Lykes Brighton triangle. Only 400km - easy in that great Florida weather.
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle", THE BIG
    DOGS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Apr 10 13:09:21 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 3:49:08 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points while
    us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the stick
    at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most every
    measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip. It's
    not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a
    Hibiscus/Seminole/Lykes Brighton triangle. Only 400km - easy in that great Florida weather.
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle", THE BIG
    DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist up there
    with an ASW27 that has accepted the challenge.
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research well South of
    Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made it back to
    Thermal Research very late in the afternoon, to my knowledge Fonz and I are the only two to cross the entire swamp twice on the same day, I have a picture of Fonz sitting the his ASW20 after landing, and we both did it without having a motor to save our
    ass, and I might add that R did not have a motor to save his ass when he completed his flight well into Georgia, that was when he was a Purist Pilot, but now in his golden years he has gone to the dark side.
    If the Seminole motorglider guys are so confined by the restricted area then why are us TCTC fliers able to conquer that space and they have not??? They have that petro thermal generator to push them along. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Apr 10 21:12:22 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 1:09:23 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points
    while us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the
    stick at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip. It'
    s not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle", THE
    BIG DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist up there
    with an ASW27 that has accepted the challenge.
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research well South of
    Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made it back to
    Thermal Research very late in the afternoon, to my knowledge Fonz and I are the only two to cross the entire swamp twice on the same day, I have a picture of Fonz sitting the his ASW20 after landing, and we both did it without having a motor to save our
    ass, and I might add that R did not have a motor to save his ass when he completed his flight well into Georgia, that was when he was a Purist Pilot, but now in his golden years he has gone to the dark side.
    If the Seminole motorglider guys are so confined by the restricted area then why are us TCTC fliers able to conquer that space and they have not??? They have that petro thermal generator to push them along. Old Bob, The Purist
    Recently, Old Bob confirmed to me that his use of "without having a motor to save our ass" is a reference to doing a self-retrieve, and not to avoid a crash. And that's the best plan for a motorglider pilot: use the motor for convenience, not as a safety
    device.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Apr 11 05:00:59 2023
    On Tuesday, April 11, 2023 at 12:12:24 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC points
    while us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking the
    stick at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept your
    very different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip.
    It's not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle", THE
    BIG DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist up
    there with an ASW27 that has accepted the challenge.
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research well South
    of Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made it back to
    Recently, Old Bob confirmed to me that his use of "without having a motor to save our ass" is a reference to doing a self-retrieve, and not to avoid a crash. And that's the best plan for a motorglider pilot: use the motor for convenience, not as a
    safety device.
    Eric, you must admit that convenience and safety go together. What is interesting is the reliability of the motorglider when needed. I can only recall two instances where the motor did not start when called upon that resulted in land outs. Once was
    during a Seniors event when some guy left an airport area low and was going to rely on the motor and it did not start when called upon and the other there was a malfunction of the engine and it would not start and also resulted in a land out. So with
    that said I would like for you to give me some idea as to the percentage of reliability that you would put on a motorglider start when needed, I would say that the reliability is probably 98%, which certainly makes it a save your ass safety device. Old
    Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu May 4 18:23:43 2023
    On Tuesday, April 11, 2023 at 5:01:01 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept your
    very different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most
    every measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km roundtrip.
    It's not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them away with a
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle",
    THE BIG DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist up
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research well
    South of Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made it
    back to Thermal Research very late in the afternoon, to my knowledge Fonz and I are the only two to cross the entire swamp twice on the same day, I have a picture of Fonz sitting the his ASW20 after landing, and we both did it without having a motor to
    save our ass, and I might add that R did not have a motor to save his ass when he completed his flight well into Georgia, that was when he was a Purist Pilot, but now in his golden years he has gone to the dark side.
    Recently, Old Bob confirmed to me that his use of "without having a motor to save our ass" is a reference to doing a self-retrieve, and not to avoid a crash. And that's the best plan for a motorglider pilot: use the motor for convenience, not as a
    safety device.
    Eric, you must admit that convenience and safety go together. What is interesting is the reliability of the motorglider when needed. I can only recall two instances where the motor did not start when called upon that resulted in land outs. Once was
    during a Seniors event when some guy left an airport area low and was going to rely on the motor and it did not start when called upon and the other there was a malfunction of the engine and it would not start and also resulted in a land out. So with
    that said I would like for you to give me some idea as to the percentage of reliability that you would put on a motorglider start when needed, I would say that the reliability is probably 98%, which certainly makes it a save your ass safety device. Old
    Bob, The Purist

Hey Bobby, your example just confirmed what Eric said: the motor was a convenience to do a self-retrieve; the safety "device" was a landable field. What would be reckless would be venturing into an unlandable area with the plan that the motor would bail
    you out. Anyone flying a motorless glider could have done the same thing.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 05:50:40 2023
    On Thursday, May 4, 2023 at 9:23:45 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC
    points while us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking
    the stick at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept
    your very different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in most
    every measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km
    roundtrip. It's not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them
    away with a Hibiscus/Seminole/Lykes Brighton triangle. Only 400km - easy in that great Florida weather.
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle",
    THE BIG DOGS
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research well
    South of Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made it
    back to Thermal Research very late in the afternoon, to my knowledge Fonz and I are the only two to cross the entire swamp twice on the same day, I have a picture of Fonz sitting the his ASW20 after landing, and we both did it without having a motor to
    save our ass, and I might add that R did not have a motor to save his ass when he completed his flight well into Georgia, that was when he was a Purist Pilot, but now in his golden years he has gone to the dark side.
    safety device.
    Bob, The Purist
    Hey Bobby, your example just confirmed what Eric said: the motor was a convenience to do a self-retrieve; the safety "device" was a landable field. What would be reckless would be venturing into an unlandable area with the plan that the motor would
    bail you out. Anyone flying a motorless glider could have done the same thing.

Tom 2G

No Thomas, anyone with a pure glider would have not skipped that landable airport less than two miles away, the PURIST would have just landed at the airport and called it a day. The SYAG depended on his safety cushion to start and save his a**, but the
    engine did not start, so shame on that motorglider. Shame on that motorglider pilot for not starting the motor to ensure that it was operating properly prior to the start of the day. Motorglider comfort can be very misleading, as described in the case of
    the motorglider land out. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri May 5 06:40:16 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 5:50:42 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hey Bobby, your example just confirmed what Eric said: the motor was a convenience to do a self-retrieve; the safety "device" was a landable field. What would be reckless would be venturing into an unlandable area with the plan that the motor would

Tom 2G
    No Thomas, anyone with a pure glider would have not skipped that landable airport less than two miles away, the PURIST would have just landed at the airport and called it a day. The SYAG depended on his safety cushion to start and save his a**, but the
    engine did not start, so shame on that motorglider. Shame on that motorglider pilot for not starting the motor to ensure that it was operating properly prior to the start of the day. Motorglider comfort can be very misleading, as described in the case of

I usually self-launched at contests, but when I didn't, starting the engine on the ground was part of the pre-flight. That still does not ensure it will start in-flight, as a start failure can be caused by pilot error during the start, or even hours
    before the attempted start; e,g,, by using running down the engine battery by inadvertently using it for the instruments during the flight. And, of course, the engine may have malfunction after the run on the ground (stuck microswitch, for example).

My observation is an ambitious contest pilot flying a towed glider pilot is very likely to risk a landout to increase his score; in part because it is much easier to retrieve a towed glider from a field than a self-launching glider. The fuselage for the
    18M ASH26E weighs almost 500 lbs, but with the propulsion system removed (engine, mast, propeller, starting battery, fuel and tank, cabling, controller), it's less than 320 lbs. Getting that 500lb fuselage out of a field is much harder than the fuselage
    of an ASG29, which is less than 300 lbs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun May 14 19:12:32 2023
    Looks like soaring in Florida continues to be quiet good, the triangles out osTCSC, or TCTC as we prefer are as always quiet impressive! The pilots up at SLGP are once again flying up and down Hwy27 trying to score a few FAI or OLC
    points while us down here at the Treasure Coast are threading the needle as always and putting some real triangles on the board.
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like poking
    the stick at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    Eric, we do fly the same areas, and often cross paths close to HWY27, yet we never see those big dogs threading the needle or going deep into the Everglades, they mostly all have motors, so what would be the problem? I can hardly accept
    your very different areas take on Florida weather, we all pretty much have the same, they get westerly convergence and we get easterly convergence, other than that not much difference.
    every measure. OBTP
    It's not just the weather: the airspace is just as important. How often have you "gone deep" to the north, overflying Seminole? For them to reach "the Everglades" is about a 380km round trip; for you to reach Seminole is only a 320 km
    roundtrip. It's not just airspace that shapes people's flights, either: Lake Okeechobee is just as troublesome for you as the restricted airspace the Seminole pilots face. Want to show them "Purist Power"? Fly that roundtrip to Seminole! Or blow them
    away with a Hibiscus/Seminole/Lykes Brighton triangle. Only 400km - easy in that great Florida weather.
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The Needle"
    , THE BIG DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist
    up there with an ASW27 that has accepted the challenge.
    Recently, Old Bob confirmed to me that his use of "without having a motor to save our ass" is a reference to doing a self-retrieve, and not to avoid a crash. And that's the best plan for a motorglider pilot: use the motor for convenience, not as
    a safety device.
    Bob, The Purist

Tom 2G

Hey Boobie, so WHAT airport did you skip to land in the swamp?

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 04:54:21 2023
    On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 10:12:34 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Now I have gone around Lake O five times in both directions, have threaded the needle just as many times, yet none of the BIG DOGS have even done it once. Now, myself and the rest of the misfits down here in South Florida like
    poking the stick at the bear, but the bear seems to be a pussy cat. It must take an old man like myself, new to this sport, to get the testosterones flowing so that we can have some friendly bantering .
    One thing that I will say about Florida weather is that this peninsular has some unique weather and it changes about every six hours, platforms like Dr. Jack, and Skysight although sometimes good are more often than not incorrect in
    most every measure. OBTP
    Eric, the Seminole trip is no big deal, it has been done before and a picture was taken of their airstrip. All of us here at TCTC have threaded the needle, I was the first and have done it many times and coined the term, "Threading The
    Needle", THE BIG DOGS
    Don't know what happened, but a power interruption made my post appear prior to finishing, soo, I will continue. The Big Dogs have yet to complete the trip, none of the Big Dogs have even threaded the needle, but, I bet that there is a purist
    up there with an ASW27 that has accepted the challenge.
    I am going to take you back in history to about 1979 when my great friend and fellow glider pilot and I decided to bust out and cross the Everglades fly far North and return back over the Everglades to our takeoff spot of Thermal Research
    well South of Miami. Fonzie and I crossed the Everglades, headed toward Immokalee and headed North finally getting to where Seminole Lake is today, at that time it was still in Oviedo. Our trip was only half over, we turned and headed back South and made
    it back to Thermal Research very late in the afternoon, to my knowledge Fonz and I are the only two to cross the entire swamp twice on the same day, I have a picture of Fonz sitting the his ASW20 after landing, and we both did it without having a motor
    to save our ass, and I might add that R did not have a motor to save his ass when he completed his flight well into Georgia, that was when he was a Purist Pilot, but now in his golden years he has gone to the dark side.
    Recently, Old Bob confirmed to me that his use of "without having a motor to save our ass" is a reference to doing a self-retrieve, and not to avoid a crash. And that's the best plan for a motorglider pilot: use the motor for convenience, not
    as a safety device.
    Eric, you must admit that convenience and safety go together. What is interesting is the reliability of the motorglider when needed. I can only recall two instances where the motor did not start when called upon that resulted in land outs. Once
    was during a Seniors event when some guy left an airport area low and was going to rely on the motor and it did not start when called upon and the other there was a malfunction of the engine and it would not start and also resulted in a land out. So with
    Bob, The Purist

Tom 2G
    No Thomas, anyone with a pure glider would have not skipped that landable airport less than two miles away, the PURIST would have just landed at the airport and called it a day. The SYAG depended on his safety cushion to start and save his a**, but
    the engine did not start, so shame on that motorglider. Shame on that motorglider pilot for not starting the motor to ensure that it was operating properly prior to the start of the day. Motorglider comfort can be very misleading, as described in the
    case of the motorglider land out. Old Bob, The Purist
    Hey Boobie, so WHAT airport did you skip to land in the swamp?

Tom 2G
    Terrible Tommy, the answer to your question is, MANY! OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05