• A flip vent that actually closes

From Steve Koerner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 14:01:11 2023
    Glider flip vents have a problem in that they can never fully close. That makes them prone to whistling. I made a 2 minute video explaining the problem and my solution using tiny magnets: https://youtu.be/OLFwu8ubl_s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 9 15:15:08 2023
    Good solution. I wonder if there is a way to use the same method on landing gear doors? When my ASH-25 gets a little yaw in it one of the doors opens and it gets noisy.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Koerner@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 10 09:53:13 2023
    Roy: Yes, I suspect that magnets might help that gear door issue too.

Dan: Yes, tightening the screws is the thing to do if the vent is too loose, but tightening the screws won't solve the slight rebound that happens when you push it fully closed. Look closely and I think you'll see what I mean.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Mon Apr 10 10:25:49 2023
    I snugged the screws on the flip out door hinges since I don't have the
    tools to make those neat little magnet holders. As to gear doors, new
    or slightly stronger bungees will do the trick.

Dan
    5J

On 4/9/23 16:15, Roy B. wrote:
    Good solution. I wonder if there is a way to use the same method on landing gear doors? When my ASH-25 gets a little yaw in it one of the doors opens and it gets noisy.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Papa3@21:1/5 to Steve Koerner on Mon Apr 10 13:26:18 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 12:53:17 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:

Dan: Yes, tightening the screws is the thing to do if the vent is too loose, but tightening the screws won't solve the slight rebound that happens when you push it fully closed. Look closely and I think you'll see what I mean.

You know... that's actually an interesting idea about magnets for gear doors. I was playing around with the doors on our club's LS4 after some recent repair work and associated fettling. Might try a temporary mockup and see what the change in
    breakaway force is for a reasonable size pair of magnets.

P3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Mon Apr 10 15:40:52 2023
    On Sunday, April 9, 2023 at 6:15:11 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
    ...When my ASH-25 gets a little yaw in it one of the doors opens and it gets noisy.

Fortunately that only happens when P2 is flying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Steve Koerner on Mon Apr 10 17:28:10 2023
    Hi Steve,

I know exactly what you mean, but the windows on my Stemme don't seem to rebound (hysteresis). Maybe I just got lucky! My windows don't pop
    open like they did on my previous glider.

Dan
    5J

On 4/10/23 10:53, Steve Koerner wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Mon Apr 10 18:03:06 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 4:28:15 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Hi Steve,

I know exactly what you mean, but the windows on my Stemme don't seem to rebound (hysteresis). Maybe I just got lucky! My windows don't pop

Dan
    5J

I noticed a relationship between the gear door sucking open and that would cause the yaw string to pull off to one
    Side……………….or, maybe it was the other way around?
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sean Franke@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Tue Apr 11 05:06:52 2023
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 7:03:08 PM UTC-6, John Sinclair wrote:
    On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 4:28:15 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Hi Steve,

Dan
    5J

I noticed a relationship between the gear door sucking open and that would cause the yaw string to pull off to one
    Side……………….or, maybe it was the other way around?
    JJ
    Hey JJ, that issue happens from second-rate yaw strings, try the MK IV Yaw String instead, lol.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 11 05:58:20 2023
    Hey JJ, that issue happens from second-rate yaw strings, try the MK IV Yaw String instead, lol.

You can also avoid the annoying windshield-wiper effect of the yaw string by simply using a magic marker to DRAW it on the canopy. And it's less drag. Or try taping it on the INSIDE of the canopy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05