• Re: LS-4 landing-gear problems

From Jon Stallman@21:1/5 to DBrotto on Tue Mar 21 10:35:05 2023
    On Thursday, June 11, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, DBrotto wrote:
    I suffered a gear collapse in my LS-1f on a slightly bumpy landing a few years
    back. No damage except some minor scrapes on the belly since I landed in grass.
    Chip Bearden helped me pull the gas strut out and test it (thanks Chip!) It seemed within spec; 90 lbs to compress. So we reinstalled it and I chalked the
    failure up to maybe dirt preventing an overcenter or maybe a funny harmonic in
    a landing bounce.
    A few months later the gear again collapsed during landing while a friend was landing the ship. This time the damage was more extensive requiring a trip to Paul Weiden at Keystone G-port. The failed gas strut was now down to about 50 lbs to compress. Paul installed a new strut, cleaned up the glass damage, and I
    was back in buisness. Since then I have had no problem w/ gear collapse.
    I did follow-up with some research on strut failures for other LS ships. It seems that the gas strut starts to fail after about 6 to 8 years of use. My thoughts are to just replace the strut with a new one every 3 years. They are inexpensive enough and available (thanks Mike Adams!) This fall will be 3 years
    from the last replacement so Paul, I'll be calling you to get on your schedule!
    BTW, the strut is stowed and spends the vast majority of its life in the worst
    possible position; upside down (no oil on the seal) and compressed.
    Danny Brotto

Can you put me in touch with Mike Adams?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Jon Stallman on Tue Mar 21 11:03:58 2023
    On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 10:35:07 AM UTC-7, Jon Stallman wrote:
    Chip Bearden helped me pull the gas strut out and test it (thanks Chip!) It
    seemed within spec; 90 lbs to compress. So we reinstalled it and I chalked the
    a landing bounce.
    A few months later the gear again collapsed during landing while a friend was
    landing the ship. This time the damage was more extensive requiring a trip to
    Paul Weiden at Keystone G-port. The failed gas strut was now down to about 50
    lbs to compress. Paul installed a new strut, cleaned up the glass damage, and I

Mike Adams

I did follow-up with some research on strut failures for other LS ships. It
    seems that the gas strut starts to fail after about 6 to 8 years of use. My
    thoughts are to just replace the strut with a new one every 3 years. They are
    inexpensive enough and available (thanks Mike Adams!) This fall will be 3 years
    possible position; upside down (no oil on the seal) and compressed.
    Danny Brotto

Mike Adams has gone to meet his maker! I believe Chris Nix is the source of LS parts in the US?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raul Boerner@21:1/5 to Sander Holthaus on Tue Mar 21 17:11:13 2023
    On Wednesday, June 10, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Sander Holthaus wrote:
    ** To reply in e-mail, remove ".nubqih" from address **
    Last week (monday, 1st of June), after a flight lasting over 3 hours,
    I landed in our club (WBAC) ls-4a (PH-901). Just a normal landing, not
    hard or anything like that. However, shortly after landing (ca 1-2 sec.)
    the mail wheel collapsed back onto the fuselage. The problem is that
    the wheel-handle was still in the lock. First was thought, that the gas -strut which keeps the landing-gear locked, was broken. After measurments
    , it was found that it was still in operating limits.
    So, does anybody have a clue what could be the problem?
    Sander Holthaus
    Roosendaal, The Netherlands
    email: san...@roosendaal.demon.nl
    --

Sander,

At the 2019 WGA in Ostrow, Poland, I asked every LS owner about gear problems. It should be no surprise that everyone had a landing gear collapse some time in their past. What was interesting to me (as an LS6 owner) was that each one of them had a
    different solution to what they perceived to be the cause. All of those different causes have merit.

But I believe that you said that the landing gear handle was in the locked detent. If the landing gear collapsed, and the handle remained in the locked position detent afterwards, you may have a broken part.

Some LS owners have developed a backup locking device to keep the handle from vibrating out of the down-lock detent. The thinking is that unplanned retractions might be related to the handle down-lock detent.

But if the landing gear collapses, the gear handle should move out of its detent. If it is unable to do so, then something will break between the gear handle and the landing gear inner drive--for example: the outer drive.

One of many causes to LS gear collapses is insufficient hyperextension between the landing gear fork and the upper folding fork--should be 5mm.

Raul Boerner
    PS: I don't know how to add photos and can't find a pulldown menu that helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Tue Mar 21 17:43:36 2023
    On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 12:04:00 PM UTC-6, John Sinclair wrote:
    a landing bounce.
    Mike Adams
    was back in buisness. Since then I have had no problem w/ gear collapse. I did follow-up with some research on strut failures for other LS ships. It
    possible position; upside down (no oil on the seal) and compressed. Danny Brotto

Mike Adams has gone to meet his maker! I believe Chris Nix is the source of LS parts in the US?

Chris Klix has retired AFAIK
    I could use one of these struts for a LS3a; any ideas?
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Art Mahoney@21:1/5 to Nicholas Kennedy on Tue Mar 21 19:30:46 2023
    Paul Remde is the DG representative that I purchase my LS-related parts from. He organizes batches of part shipments to help reduce paperwork and shipping costs. He's great to work with. See https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/store/about-us

On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 6:43:38 PM UTC-6, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 12:04:00 PM UTC-6, John Sinclair wrote:
    a landing bounce.
    Mike Adams
    I did follow-up with some research on strut failures for other LS ships. It
    possible position; upside down (no oil on the seal) and compressed. Danny Brotto

Chris Klix has retired AFAIK
    I could use one of these struts for a LS3a; any ideas?
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christoph Barniske@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 22 05:50:24 2023
    The gas strut on LS3/LS4 and retrofitted LS1-f is a Stabilus Lift-o-Mat, 400N, Part no. 044708. In Europe, they are available at a few online shops. Despite the service contract, DG charges their customers a premium for spare parts over here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piet Barber@21:1/5 to Christoph Barniske on Wed Mar 22 06:28:04 2023
    On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 8:50:26 AM UTC-4, Christoph Barniske wrote:
    The gas strut on LS3/LS4 and retrofitted LS1-f is a Stabilus Lift-o-Mat, 400N, Part no. 044708. In Europe, they are available at a few online shops. Despite the service contract, DG charges their customers a premium for spare parts over here.

I once witnessed a gear-up *takeoff* in an LS-4, when that little gas strut gave out. Apparently the LS-4 hit a bump along the takeoff path, it was enough to cause the over-center cylinder to give out. This caused the gear to retract. The glider didn't
    have enough airspeed to take off so it slid along the paved runway. The bottom of the glider got flattened out. the CG Hook Tost release got filed away enough that the rope broke.

What a story for the bar with the glider buddies: "You did a gear up landing? Well that's nothing! Mario over here did a gear up *takeoff* !"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Piet Barber on Wed Mar 22 10:24:37 2023
    On 3/22/2023 9:28 AM, Piet Barber wrote:

I once witnessed a gear-up *takeoff* in an LS-4, when that little gas strut gave out. Apparently the LS-4 hit a bump along the takeoff path, it was enough to cause the over-center cylinder to give out. This caused the gear to retract. The glider didn'
    t have enough airspeed to take off so it slid along the paved runway. The bottom of the glider got flattened out. the CG Hook Tost release got filed away enough that the rope broke.

What a story for the bar with the glider buddies: "You did a gear up landing? Well that's nothing! Mario over here did a gear up *takeoff* !"

I once had a normal takeoff, but when I landed the tire was completely
    flat. Very short rollout, completely unexpected, stranded in the middle
    of the runway. Must have hit a sharp object in the air, eh?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Wed Mar 22 07:48:30 2023
    On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 7:24:31 AM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 3/22/2023 9:28 AM, Piet Barber wrote:

I once witnessed a gear-up *takeoff* in an LS-4, when that little gas strut gave out. Apparently the LS-4 hit a bump along the takeoff path, it was enough to cause the over-center cylinder to give out. This caused the gear to retract. The glider didn'
    t have enough airspeed to take off so it slid along the paved runway. The bottom of the glider got flattened out. the CG Hook Tost release got filed away enough that the rope broke.

I once had a normal takeoff, but when I landed the tire was completely
    flat. Very short rollout, completely unexpected, stranded in the middle
    of the runway. Must have hit a sharp object in the air, eh?

There’s a simple test to check the landing gear strut on LS gliders. After pulling the fuselage out of the trailer and before lowering the fuselage saddle; lay down beside the gear and try to retract it by shoving forward on the rear strut! It should
    not move more than about 10mm, then snap back when pressure is released! Recommend this check be done every 6 months!
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Papa3@21:1/5 to Piet Barber on Wed Mar 22 07:49:03 2023
    On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 9:28:06 AM UTC-4, Piet Barber wrote:
    I once witnessed a gear-up *takeoff* in an LS-4, when that little gas strut gave out. Apparently the LS-4 hit a bump along the takeoff path, it was enough to cause the over-center cylinder to give out. This caused the gear to retract. The glider didn't
    have enough airspeed to take off so it slid along the paved runway. The bottom of the glider got flattened out. the CG Hook Tost release got filed away enough that the rope broke.

We had exactly this happen to our club LS4. The root cause was that the pilot didn't raise the trailer dolly high enough during assembly. The gear was down but not locked/over center. It somehow stayed put while being rolled out to the line with
    the golf cart but retracted just before lift off. Luckily, it was on the grass and the damage was largely cosmetic except for some damage to the gear door.

P3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05