• 2P Gone West

From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 9 08:17:16 2023
    Penn Smith, long time member of the Blue Ridge Soaring Society has passed away. Penn was a BRSS member for as long as I can remember.
    He was an active club member and contributed greatly to BRSS in a variety of ways.
    Penn flew contests for decades, mostly in Regions 4 and 5. His loving wife, Patty has been a valued club member for decades and was contest manager for the R4S contest many times.
    The gliders Penn owned were always the best kept around and were always in demand when time came to sell.
    His most notable flight was as a member of the group that flew the first 1000K contest flight out on New Castle in September of 1990.
    Penn served soaring as a member of the SSA foundation committee.
    He also helped a number of clubs get 501C3 tax status.
    His accomplishments were many.
    His friends were many.
    I'm sure he's in a 10 knot thermal up there somewhere smiling down on us. Condolences to Patty.
    With the utmost respect
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Middleline Airfield@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Mar 9 18:00:10 2023
    Hank,
    He helped a lot of clubs achieve their IRS 501c3 status. Adirondack Soaring thanks him for all his efforts .
    May he soar high! 2P !

Tim Hanke
    Adirondack Soaring
    Saratoga Springs, NY USA

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 11:17:18 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
    Penn Smith, long time member of the Blue Ridge Soaring Society has passed away.
    Penn was a BRSS member for as long as I can remember.
    He was an active club member and contributed greatly to BRSS in a variety of ways.
    Penn flew contests for decades, mostly in Regions 4 and 5. His loving wife, Patty has been a valued club member for decades and was contest manager for the R4S contest many times.
    The gliders Penn owned were always the best kept around and were always in demand when time came to sell.
    His most notable flight was as a member of the group that flew the first 1000K contest flight out on New Castle in September of 1990.
    His friends were many.
    I'm sure he's in a 10 knot thermal up there somewhere smiling down on us. Condolences to Patty.
    With the utmost respect
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Mar 9 22:26:51 2023
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 9:17:18 AM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
    His friends were many.
    With the utmost respect
    UH
    UH,

Thanks for sharing. Penn was great to work with on the SSA Clubs and Chapters Committee and provided sage wisdom to SSA Leadership in matters concerning the Society and the Foundation. He had a great sense of humor.

Frank Whiteley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Mar 9 22:37:31 2023
    His friends were many.
    With the utmost respect
    UH
    Obituary and reception: https://simpsonfuneral.com/tribute/details/3502/Pendleton-Smith/obituary.html#tribute-start

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Sun Mar 12 05:02:38 2023
    On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 1:37:33 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    His friends were many.
    With the utmost respect
    UH
    Obituary and reception: https://simpsonfuneral.com/tribute/details/3502/Pendleton-Smith/obituary.html#tribute-start
    Penn was a great friend and mentor to me.
    Will never forget him
    Condolences to Patty.
    QT

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05