• Wings and Wheels web down?

From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 1 12:18:45 2023
    Wings and Wheels was at Reno last week, but this afternoon their website appears to be down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Bill Tisdale on Wed Mar 1 15:00:47 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 1:18:46 PM UTC-7, Bill Tisdale wrote:
    Wings and Wheels was at Reno last week, but this afternoon their website appears to be down.
    Can ping the domain and dig info, but clearly off-line.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sean Franke@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Thu Mar 2 04:07:07 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 4:00:50 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    The website is offline during maintenance.

Sean

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Enrique Mertins Sr.@21:1/5 to Sean Franke on Fri Mar 3 06:08:26 2023
    On Thursday, March 2, 2023 at 7:07:09 AM UTC-5, Sean Franke wrote:

Sean

Sean:
    Chrome frequently reports this issue:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wingsandwheels.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best regards
    Enrique

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Enrique Mertins Sr. on Fri Mar 3 08:41:02 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 6:08:28 AM UTC-8, Enrique Mertins Sr. wrote:
    On Thursday, March 2, 2023 at 7:07:09 AM UTC-5, Sean Franke wrote:

Sean
    Sean:
    Chrome frequently reports this issue: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wingsandwheels.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Best regards

Hmmmm?
    I was recently hacked resulting in an email from my broker telling me he had a hot new stock…….asking if I has some additional cash available? I thought I was communicating with my broker and answered the fake email, telling him I could probably
    scrape together 20K, or so? I did wonder why my broker wanted the cash to go to his personal bank account not the regular business account? I forwarded the fake email to my brokers regular address…..telling him I thought he might have been hacked!
    Got an immediate reply from my real broker telling me that I was the one being hacked! I couldn’t resist answering the fake broker with some gut-level communication liberally laced with 4 letter words!
    Then I received 6 or 7 emails from the hacker showing my passwords on various sites! Thankfully, none of them were important sites!
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Sat Mar 4 09:28:08 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 10:41:04 AM UTC-6, John Sinclair wrote:

Hmmmm?
    I was recently hacked resulting in an email from my broker telling me he had a hot new stock…….asking if I has some additional cash available? I thought I was communicating with my broker and answered the fake email, telling him I could probably
    scrape together 20K, or so? I did wonder why my broker wanted the cash to go to his personal bank account not the regular business account? I forwarded the fake email to my brokers regular address…..telling him I thought he might have been hacked!
    Got an immediate reply from my real broker telling me that I was the one being hacked! I couldn’t resist answering the fake broker with some gut-level communication liberally laced with 4 letter words!
    Then I received 6 or 7 emails from the hacker showing my passwords on various sites! Thankfully, none of them were important sites!
    JJ

JJ - I saw your note about the broker hacking your email. I assume you have changed your password to your email account. What they want is your contact list to spoof email coming from you or inbound spoofed email from someone you trust.

The most common hack of email accounts is by brute force computer driven algorithms. The words come from dictionaries so use some more complicated alpha-numeric trash the makes sense to you but not found in ANY dictionary (foreign languages included).
    Even strings of common words are no bueno.

It is interesting that the hacker showed your passwords from other sites. Probably found in some emails. Did you recognize those passwords?

- John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 4 15:05:55 2023
    On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 9:28:10 AM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Hmmmm?
    JJ
    JJ - I saw your note about the broker hacking your email. I assume you have changed your password to your email account. What they want is your contact list to spoof email coming from you or inbound spoofed email from someone you trust.

The most common hack of email accounts is by brute force computer driven algorithms. The words come from dictionaries so use some more complicated alpha-numeric trash the makes sense to you but not found in ANY dictionary (foreign languages included).

It is interesting that the hacker showed your passwords from other sites. Probably found in some emails. Did you recognize those passwords?

- John (OHM)

Hi John,
    Yes, for sure I changed my email password and bank and PayPal + Netflix, etc……..
    Yes, the passwords he sent to me were all correct! Have no idea how he got them, but I understand very little about these things? I don’t believe I ever opened a sight found in an unknown email. My banking actions look pretty secure to me, anyone
    trying to open my bank accounts must receive a code word from my phone before being allowed In + any transactions in or out are reported to my email address.
    The hacker sent everybody in my address book an email saying something like…………I’m sure you will recognize the people in these photos? The attachment is his way into new suckers accounts! Don’t ever open anything like this, even if you think
    you know the sender!
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Sat Mar 4 20:49:51 2023
    On 3/4/23 4:05 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
    On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 9:28:10 AM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Hmmmm?
    JJ

- John (OHM)

Hi John,
    Yes, for sure I changed my email password and bank and PayPal + Netflix, etc……..
    Yes, the passwords he sent to me were all correct! Have no idea how he got them, but I understand very little about these things? I don’t believe I ever opened a sight found in an unknown email. My banking actions look pretty secure to me, anyone
    trying to open my bank accounts must receive a code word from my phone before being allowed In + any transactions in or out are reported to my email address.
    The hacker sent everybody in my address book an email saying something like…………I’m sure you will recognize the people in these photos? The attachment is his way into new suckers accounts! Don’t ever open anything like this, even if you
    think you know the sender!
    JJ

Viruses have gotten really nasty recently. I got a suspicious
    attachment from a cousin, so I sent her a note saying she probably got infected. Got an immediate reply saying don't worry, she had sent that.

Don't know if they're using AI or just setting up a generic message in
    an auto-reply, but the confirmation email was a new wrinkle I hadn't
    seen before.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05