• TE variometer numbers

From jp@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 11:08:18 2023
    We know that a variometer with a TE probe fitted indicates total energy of the glider and not necessarily whether the glider is ascending or descending.

Good enough, although I still find myself treating the vario as if it is telling me about lift and sink.

BUT, if we are clear of mind to see the TE variometer as indicating total energy what then do the numbers on the vario face indicate?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 14:00:16 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 2:08:20 PM UTC-5, jp wrote:
    We know that a variometer with a TE probe fitted indicates total energy of the glider and not necessarily whether the glider is ascending or descending.

Good enough, although I still find myself treating the vario as if it is telling me about lift and sink.

BUT, if we are clear of mind to see the TE variometer as indicating total energy what then do the numbers on the vario face indicate?

We don't know what you stated. It does tell you lift and sink. TE is intended to take out the change in displayed lift or sink caused by a change in speed.
    Maybe easier to think of it as a speed compensated vario.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Fri Feb 10 14:18:29 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 2:00:18 PM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:

We don't know what you stated. It does tell you lift and sink. TE is intended to take out the change in displayed lift or sink caused by a change in speed.
    UH
    Thank you Hank. As far as I understand the TE stuff (which is clearly not very far) the TE connected vario would only be indicating potential energy (i.e. up or down I guess) if the airspeed ( kinetic energy ) is held constant. If both the kinetic
    energy and potential energy are varying, which I confess if often what is happening when I am flying, the TE connected vario will indicate the algebraic sum of the kinetic and the potential energy.

I was just curious. Most of the time I pretend the TE connected vario is just indicating the up or down of the glider regardless of the airspeed or altitude changes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 14:36:11 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 5:18:32 PM UTC-5, jp wrote:

UH
    Thank you Hank. As far as I understand the TE stuff (which is clearly not very far) the TE connected vario would only be indicating potential energy (i.e. up or down I guess) if the airspeed ( kinetic energy ) is held constant. If both the kinetic
    energy and potential energy are varying, which I confess if often what is happening when I am flying, the TE connected vario will indicate the algebraic sum of the kinetic and the potential energy.

I was just curious. Most of the time I pretend the TE connected vario is just indicating the up or down of the glider regardless of the airspeed or altitude changes.

What do you mean by ‘TE Connected’? What do you understand to be happening?

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 14:41:43 2023

UH

And since you are thinking in terms of lift…if only one of two was working …accurately…which would you pick?
    You vario or your audio? Both require tuning to get maximum performance.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 15:11:17 2023
    A TE vario does tell you whether you're going up or down. As UH noted, it just removes the temporary swings caused by exchanging speed for altitude or, said another way, exchanging kinetic energy for potential energy). The total energy of the glider is
    always declining as we glide down--until we find lift.

What you might be looking for is a netto vario, which tells you how fast the air is rising or sinking, regardless of what the glider is doing (assuming everything works properly which, as has been said, requires tuning). I flew with a netto vario for
    many years before the advent of the newer computerized varios (Cambridge Mk II, for you old timers) and loved it. More recently, another flavor usually called relative netto subtracts out the glider's sinking speed in thermaling flight from the netto
    reading to tell you how fast you would be going up or down if you stop to circle. I had that, too; I just put a mark on vario dial at about 1.5 kts. If the needle went above that, I could climb if I stopped to circle.

Others might have a more elegant explanation but that's how I think of it.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Fri Feb 10 15:43:38 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 3:32:12 PM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:

UH

What you are "pretending" is just what the TE compensated variometer is supposed to do. If you want to get into fancy descriptions it is showing the rate of change of potential energy. That said there is no reason to out think it. It's purpose is to
    tell you how fast you are going up or down without speed changes messing up the information.
    UH
    Thank you all for helping me understand this stuff. By the way, it would be nice if I had an audio vario but I don't.

I will stop over-thinking this stuff. It confused me that the TE-connected vario ( by which I mean a vario connected to a TE probe rather than just to the "ordinary" static ports ) shows what looks like ascent when I am being pulled along the runway -
    clearly not ascending. From that experience I concluded that the vario was not indicating, at least not directly indicating, the glider is rising. I'm not at all sure that I can do anything with that knowledge anyway.

I think it would be best for me to just forget about all the TE-vario I read about and just fly the silly glider.

But thank you all for your helpful responses.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 15:32:10 2023

UH

What you are "pretending" is just what the TE compensated variometer is supposed to do. If you want to get into fancy descriptions it is showing the rate of change of potential energy. That said there is no reason to out think it. It's purpose is to tell
    you how fast you are going up or down without speed changes messing up the information.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BobW@21:1/5 to Chip Bearden on Fri Feb 10 20:35:14 2023
    On 2/10/2023 4:11 PM, Chip Bearden wrote:
    A TE vario does tell you whether you're going up or down. As UH noted, it just removes the temporary swings caused by exchanging speed for altitude
    or, said another way, exchanging kinetic energy for potential energy). The total energy of the glider is always declining as we glide down--until we find lift.

What you might be looking for is a netto vario, which tells you how fast
    the air is rising or sinking, regardless of what the glider is doing (assuming everything works properly which, as has been said, requires tuning). I flew with a netto vario for many years before the advent of the newer computerized varios (Cambridge Mk II, for you old timers) and loved
    it. More recently, another flavor usually called relative netto subtracts
    out the glider's sinking speed in thermaling flight from the netto reading
    to tell you how fast you would be going up or down if you stop to circle. I had that, too; I just put a mark on vario dial at about 1.5 kts. If the needle went above that, I could climb if I stopped to circle.

Others might have a more elegant explanation but that's how I think of it.

Expanding on "what Chip said," my main vario/compensation system for decades was a Sage vario with netto compensation (both by the late Wil Schuemann). Loved it! Conceptually netto (to me) "can't be improved upon." If you know
    what the air is doing, you know what your glider can do.

Once off tow, independent of glider speed or stick inputs, it simply displayed airmass movement...which was all I ever wanted to know, since I knew (from polar/experience/etc.) the glider's thermaling-condition sink rate, and thus potential climb rate for any displayed, rising, airmass movement. I didn't bother with putting a mark on the netto dial, preferring simply to subtract
    (in round numbers) 2 knots from the needle's reading as "projected climb rate"...and then verifying by measuring altimeter-reported gain every 60 seconds. Verification was a "trust-but-verify" 2nd nature thing for me.

On tow, it displayed "funky information" which - upon reflection - I concluded was due to the added energy imparted to the glider from the towplane (which sorely confused the situationally-ignorant netto system). Perhaps proving you can rationalize anything if you try hard enough, I rationalized it improved my lift-sensing butt sensors prior to release!

YMMV.
    Bob W.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 20:09:05 2023
    Bob, I actually had two of the Cambridge Mk II varios. One was fed by (you said it!) a Schuemann box, a wonderful device that comprised a capacity bottle, a stainless steel diaphragm TE compensator, a gust filter, and a netto capillary. I had done my
    senior research paper on netto varios back in 1972 so I decided I could build my own. I connected the second Cambridge to a TE tube and tee'd in an early Cambridge gust filter. Wil Schuemann groaned when he saw it because, among other things, it was a
    polyethelene bottle with flexible sides. But it seemed to work. For the netto, I spent an evening snipping the end off a bunch of hypodermic syringes, then inserted them into short pieces of 1/4" metal tubing and pouring epoxy in to seal them. On a good
    day, I connected everything up--including t'ing the netto into the capacity line, and then experimented (this all being in my lap) adding and subtracting segments of syringe needles until the vario read about zero at all speeds. Unlike today, of course,
    my calibration was only good for one wing loading (and one altitude, until I upgraded to the Schuemann "B" box), but it worked pretty well.

Raouf Ismail at Cambridge wired up a switch that allowed me to drive my Cambridge audio with whichever vario I was using. So with separate batteries, I had two completely independent netto varios. It was a great day when I could pull and push fairly
    aggressively and both varios read almost the same.

In those days, another great thing about a netto vario is that you could simply fly whatever speed the vario was pointing at on the speed ring, rather than chasing the speed and iterating. If you don't know what a speed ring is, don't worry. Trust me
    when I say this combo gave me great info about what the air was doing and how fast I should be theoretically flying. I still couldn't fly like George Moffat or A.J. Smith but at least I was working with good data.

End of history lesson. :) If you made it this far, thanks for humoring me.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 05:00:39 2023
    As jp never clearly answered one of my question above, I believe he believed having a ‘TE Probe’ was all that was needed to get good vario information. Hopefully he will read, comprehend, and seek additional information such as what was provided
    above.
    And save his nickels for an audio.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 15:21:42 2023
    On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:43:38 -0800 (PST), jp wrote:

Thank you all for helping me understand this stuff. By the way, it
    would be nice if I had an audio vario but I don't.

You could do a lot worse than to fit one it doesn't need to be shiny new
    and expensive: its main benefit is that it keeps your eyes outside
    because, your ears can continuously monitor what you currently have to
    keep looking inside to check. Look around for a decent used audio vario
    and fit that: I carry two, both quite old: an 80mm SDI C4 and a Borgelt B.
    40. Both make well modulated noise so don't need to get looked at much.

The C4 has a lot of capability: if connected to an GPS feed it can keep
    track of your arrival height at your next turnpoint and, as one of the
    first varios to use a (monochrome) solid state display, its fairly indestructable and is very easy to read under all lighting conditions.

I use the B.40 as a backup because a 9v PP3 battery can run a B.40 for at
    least a day, but its also an excellent vario that I'd be happy to use as
    my primary if I didn't have the C4.

Both these varios are over 20 years old, so you should be able to find at
    least one of them at a reasonable price.

Then all you need as backup for your Mk 1 eyeball is a FLARM: because its something else that you don't need to look at until you hear it beep.

And, while you're at it, if fitting an audio vario requires an panel rearrangement, consider moving your ASI to top centre in the panel: once
    you've got an audio vario and FLARM its probably the instrument you'll
    look at most and I've found that just below your sight-line is a good
    place for it.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 07:46:38 2023
    The August 1975 of soaring has a good article by Gren Seibels
    on his experience of installing and flying with the magic "SCHUEMANN'S BOX"

Little bit of history for those interested in that kind of stuff.

Having a well-compensated Netto function is worthwhile if you fly fast IMHO. Paul Remde has a CAI 302 for sale, on this forum; what a great instrument at a great price.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BobW@21:1/5 to Chip Bearden on Sat Feb 11 09:09:42 2023
    On 2/10/2023 9:09 PM, Chip Bearden wrote:
    Bob,

<Insightful/interesting history lesson snipped...>

End of history lesson. :) If you made it this far, thanks for humoring me.
    I thank you *for* the stroll down memory lane! I infer you may've been in the set of humanity for whom "Better is the enemy of good enough," while I was definitely a "Good enough!" sort, in terms of cockpit displays.

There were a few times when my "netto-display-enhanced, on-tow lift-sensors" worked in my favor when bugs or water blocked a pneumatic line resulting in flights 100% dependent on "feel and altimeter" to remain aloft (and even go XC), absent functioning-vario info. Irksome/aggravating/fun....if undoubtedly slower achieved XC speed. (Too cheap/impatient-to-be-aloft-n-soaring to land/fix/re-tow...)

WRT your pointing out "the MacCready-ring advantage" of netto displays...indeed!

This entire "vario/display topic" has long been a fascinating - to me, anyway (dry chuckle) - glimpse into the remarkably different ways brains perceive the world around us. I expect your informal count of fellow glider pilots with
    whom you've interacted over the years whenever the topic of your varios' display arose, who "got hung up on" the idea that..."But if my vario doesn't display my actual climb rate in a thermal, I'm gonna die!!!" is large (as is mine). I eventually gave up trying to convert people to "seeing the airmass world correctly," as distinct from their glider-centric, instantaneously-vario-displayed, lens.

Better not open up discussing such things as "Yebbut in those Jurassic days, your netto woulda displayed-erroneous-info while carrying water. Take *that* you weirdo!!!" Nothing like - for the average weekend warrior anyway, if arguably not those seeking serious records or even national contest victories
    - "shiny mental objects" (apparently) obscuring fundamental understanding!

Bob W.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 08:34:00 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 11:08:20 AM UTC-8, jp wrote:

To be completely accurate, the TE connected vario is telling you the *rate of change* of potential energy. Not potential energy. These are somewhat different things. The rate of change is the velocity up or down in the gravitational field, added to the
    rate of change of air speed. At any fixed airspeed, a TE connected and non TE connected vario will show the same number. Potential energy itself is shown by the altimeter and airspeed indicator.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Feb 11 11:11:46 2023
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 10:16:05 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Which means that the glider's total energy is increasing, at this
    specific time it is increasing in kinetic energy only. When you take
    off your potential energy starts increasing and will add to the reading
    on the vario. Once off tow, the TE needle tells you the same thing
    except that changes in air mass movement, drag, and airspeed are the
    what cause changes in total energy.

Dan
    5J
    On 2/10/23 16:43, jp wrote:
    a vario connected to a TE probe rather than just to the "ordinary" static ports ) shows what looks like ascent when I am being pulled along the runway
    Thank you all again. And I'm sorry R that I have not answered your question. I'm a low-time glider pilot and I do not own a glider. I am happy to rent gliders and sometimes, rarely but sometimes, I get a glider that has an audio vario but usually the
    glider just has a mechanical vario - no audio.

There are several things about gliding and especially about soaring that can twist my head around. I have to try hard to remember that low altitude is higher pressure and high altitude is lower pressure, etc.. I try hard to remember than the altimeter
    just indicates the distance ( at an assumed 1000'/inch HG ) between what is set in the Kollsman window and the ambient air pressure where the glider is - and how the altimeter indication can be effected by colder or warmer than standard air temp and how
    the altimeter indication can be altered by unaccounted for ambient pressure changes, and on and on and on.

I think I do a fair job of controlling the glider but the varying descriptions of many of these weather / altimeter / variometer things just ties my brain in a knot.

I have read a lot about TE variometers and still get easily confused. Some sources say the TE variometer does not indicate lift and sink but rather change rate of total energy. I understand that but don't know how to make use of total energy changes in
    seeking lift. I am not yet persuaded that an increase in Total Energy always means lift and what the TE variometer indicates in an airspeed-increasing DESCENT is a complete mystery to me. I do know that the goodness of the TE variometer is in reducing
    the effect of "stick thermals" on the indication of lift but, at least when I fly a glider it's going both up and down - mostly down.

Anyway, I can live just fine with all this confusion. I just fly the glider and enjoy the view.

Thank you again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 11:15:58 2023

Dan
    5J

a vario connected to a TE probe rather than just to the "ordinary" static ports ) shows what looks like ascent when I am being pulled along the runway

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 11:54:09 2023
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 2:11:48 PM UTC-5, jp wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Thank you all again. And I'm sorry R that I have not answered your question. I'm a low-time glider pilot and I do not own a glider. I am happy to rent gliders and sometimes, rarely but sometimes, I get a glider that has an audio vario but usually the

There are several things about gliding and especially about soaring that can twist my head around. I have to try hard to remember that low altitude is higher pressure and high altitude is lower pressure, etc.. I try hard to remember than the altimeter
    just indicates the distance ( at an assumed 1000'/inch HG ) between what is set in the Kollsman window and the ambient air pressure where the glider is - and how the altimeter indication can be effected by colder or warmer than standard air temp and how
    the altimeter indication can be altered by unaccounted for ambient pressure changes, and on and on and on.

I think I do a fair job of controlling the glider but the varying descriptions of many of these weather / altimeter / variometer things just ties my brain in a knot.

I have read a lot about TE variometers and still get easily confused. Some sources say the TE variometer does not indicate lift and sink but rather change rate of total energy. I understand that but don't know how to make use of total energy changes in
    seeking lift. I am not yet persuaded that an increase in Total Energy always means lift and what the TE variometer indicates in an airspeed-increasing DESCENT is a complete mystery to me. I do know that the goodness of the TE variometer is in reducing
    the effect of "stick thermals" on the indication of lift but, at least when I fly a glider it's going both up and down - mostly down.

Anyway, I can live just fine with all this confusion. I just fly the glider and enjoy the view.

Thank you again.

When flying forget about total energy and just use the variometer to guide you about climbing or sinking. no other brain effort is required.
    Assuming it is working right, up is up(good- happy) down is down(not so happy). End
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Sat Feb 11 11:57:39 2023
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 11:54:11 AM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 2:11:48 PM UTC-5, jp wrote:
    Which means that the glider's total energy is increasing, at this specific time it is increasing in kinetic energy only. When you take
    off your potential energy starts increasing and will add to the reading on the vario. Once off tow, the TE needle tells you the same thing except that changes in air mass movement, drag, and airspeed are the what cause changes in total energy.

Dan
    5J

There are several things about gliding and especially about soaring that can twist my head around. I have to try hard to remember that low altitude is higher pressure and high altitude is lower pressure, etc.. I try hard to remember than the
    altimeter just indicates the distance ( at an assumed 1000'/inch HG ) between what is set in the Kollsman window and the ambient air pressure where the glider is - and how the altimeter indication can be effected by colder or warmer than standard air
    temp and how the altimeter indication can be altered by unaccounted for ambient pressure changes, and on and on and on.

I have read a lot about TE variometers and still get easily confused. Some sources say the TE variometer does not indicate lift and sink but rather change rate of total energy. I understand that but don't know how to make use of total energy changes
    in seeking lift. I am not yet persuaded that an increase in Total Energy always means lift and what the TE variometer indicates in an airspeed-increasing DESCENT is a complete mystery to me. I do know that the goodness of the TE variometer is in reducing

Thank you again.
    When flying forget about total energy and just use the variometer to guide you about climbing or sinking. no other brain effort is required.
    Assuming it is working right, up is up(good- happy) down is down(not so happy).
    End
    UH
    Thank you Hank. I will do just that. I really like your reccomendation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 12:26:27 2023
    Hank has it right (as usual). If you really want to wade deeper into this stuff, G Dale's book, The Soaring Engine, Volume 4
    explains most of what you would want to learn about variometry.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john firth@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Sat Feb 11 13:00:14 2023
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 3:26:29 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
    Hank has it right (as usual). If you really want to wade deeper into this stuff, G Dale's book, The Soaring Engine, Volume 4
    ROY
    Confusion over the TE compensated vario may be caused by a horizontal gust producing a transient lift reading; it does indicate the energy available from the extra airspeed, but this is hard to use .( except in the case of climbing into positive wind
    shear just after take off).

I believe some of the latest varios will remove the gust transient from the vario reading.
    In normal inter-thermal flight this is useful and I plane to modify my trusty Winter vario
    to do this pneumatically.

John Firth
    old , no longer bold , out of date pilot.

PS I used to make the gust filters for Cambridge; the plastic 1/2l bottle
    was fine unless mounted somewhere a G transient could squash it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to john firth on Sat Feb 11 13:34:00 2023
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 1:00:16 PM UTC-8, john firth wrote:
    On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 3:26:29 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
    ROY
    Confusion over the TE compensated vario may be caused by a horizontal gust producing a transient lift reading; it does indicate the energy available from
    the extra airspeed, but this is hard to use .( except in the case of climbing into positive wind
    shear just after take off).

I believe some of the latest varios will remove the gust transient from the vario reading.
    In normal inter-thermal flight this is useful and I plane to modify my trusty Winter vario
    to do this pneumatically.

John Firth

PS I used to make the gust filters for Cambridge; the plastic 1/2l bottle
    was fine unless mounted somewhere a G transient could squash it.
    Hi Roy,

I have read all four of G Dale's books and I think they are very helpful. If I see a quick, sharp vario needle jump I presume it's a gust and
    not a thermal. As G Dale says, the TE variometer is extremely sensitive to gusts. The vario needle jumps up but should not be assumed
    to be indicating lift, at least not thermal lift.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 13:36:12 2023
    The key to advancing in life jp is everyone older than you have all the answers to being successful and making a boatload of money so you can buy a 300K motorglider with an audio.
    Now with practice you will learn to take all the answers and quickly see the best one.
    I asked my questions to better understand what information you wanted. TE is a challenge to perfect. Taking the effort will reward you most on days of weak lift. A TE probe, and there are several, is a part of the whole.
    The most important instrument in any glider to successful cross country Soaring is a good audio.
    But, you rent therefore your eyes are busy. I had to fly a contest day without an audio and it drove me nuts. Had a glider store med-evac a Borgelt400 overnight first delivery 8:30 a.m. the next day. Damn near cost as much as the instrument.
    UH is so old, he has answered 1373 questions….just from me ( I write all the answers down). And I’m rich.

Fly happy…what ever the cost.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 17:41:33 2023

John, I've seen your name numerous times on this forum. Given your comment about being old and no longer bold, I wonder if you were the pilot who electrified the crowd at the Elmira Nationals in 1968 by exploding out of the ground as you approached
    from the SE. I was 17 and visiting with my family for a few days and was watching another glider on final glide when (if I am correct) your HP-11 came climbing steeply from below the Hill, then finished. Still one of the most dramatic arrivals I've seen.
    Or perhaps that was a different John Firth.
    Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

Chip:
    I do not know of the story you mention, but John Firth - whom I am privileged to call my friend - flew the very first FAI 750 km triangle flight done in North America. I have written the story here before and it is worth reading again:

The very first North American 750 km triangle was done by John Firth in a Kestrel in Ontario.
    It was one of the most remarkable and simply audacious flights ever done in a glider. In 1977 John conceived of a 750 km attempt on what was then the "new" FAI record triangle distance. Even with the remarkable flights being done out of Texas in the
    late 60s and 70s and Streidick's record setting Appalachian ridge flights, nobody (much less some silly bloke in eastern Ontario Canada) had ever attempted the 750km FAI triangle. I once asked John how he came to even think of it and he said, "well I
    was getting rather bored and it seemed sort of interesting at the time . . ." Nobody else in his club was even flying cross country!

John declared the flight several times before succeeding. It was done in July of 1977 in his 19m Kestrel over a course that took him from near to Ottawa, southwest to Bethany, up to South River and then across 50 miles of the completely unlandable
    Algonquin Provincial Park and then back on toward his start. Thermal strength was only in the 4-5 kt range. The last leg of the flight was in the blue. His time on course was over 9 hours. He started at 10:00 am with all the ballast he could get into
    the Kestrel and landed after 7:00 pm. No computer, no moving map, no GPS - just an electric vario and 2 turnpoint cameras to prove the turns. To put it all into perspective, today, after 46 years and with infinitely better equipment and hugely better
    weather support, nobody has yet done an FAI 750 km triangle in New England.

Today, at an age that I don't dare ask, John still flies a PIK 20E motorglider out of a little airport in Ontario. I want to be like him when I grow up.

John posts here once in a while and his flight is worth remembering.

ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 17:29:41 2023
    John Firth

PS I used to make the gust filters for Cambridge; the plastic 1/2l bottle was fine unless mounted somewhere a G transient could squash it.

That gust filter always worked great for me. It was protected from squashing but the end was occasionally exposed to sunlight so I suppose that could have caused problems. In any case, it worked.

John, I've seen your name numerous times on this forum. Given your comment about being old and no longer bold, I wonder if you were the pilot who electrified the crowd at the Elmira Nationals in 1968 by exploding out of the ground as you approached from
    the SE. I was 17 and visiting with my family for a few days and was watching another glider on final glide when (if I am correct) your HP-11 came climbing steeply from below the Hill, then finished. Still one of the most dramatic arrivals I've seen. Or
    perhaps that was a different John Firth.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 20:49:11 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:43:40 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:

UH

What you are "pretending" is just what the TE compensated variometer is supposed to do. If you want to get into fancy descriptions it is showing the rate of change of potential energy. That said there is no reason to out think it. It's purpose is to
    tell you how fast you are going up or down without speed changes messing up the information.
    UH
    Thank you all for helping me understand this stuff. By the way, it would be nice if I had an audio vario but I don't.

I will stop over-thinking this stuff. It confused me that the TE-connected vario ( by which I mean a vario connected to a TE probe rather than just to the "ordinary" static ports ) shows what looks like ascent when I am being pulled along the runway -
    clearly not ascending. From that experience I concluded that the vario was not indicating, at least not directly indicating, the glider is rising. I'm not at all sure that I can do anything with that knowledge anyway.

I think it would be best for me to just forget about all the TE-vario I read about and just fly the silly glider.

The TE-connected vario is supposed to indicate lift while you are accelerating down the runway even though you are still on the ground--BECAUSE due to your acceleration, you are gaining energy--kinetic energy, even though you are not climbing (potential
    energy. Your TOTAL energy (KE + PE) is increasing because while the PE (altitude) remains the same, the KE (speed) is increasing. Thus the vario indicates "lift". This is how it's supposed to work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jp@21:1/5 to John Foster on Mon Feb 13 07:15:20 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 8:49:12 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:43:40 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:

UH
    Thank you Hank. As far as I understand the TE stuff (which is clearly not very far) the TE connected vario would only be indicating potential energy (i.e. up or down I guess) if the airspeed ( kinetic energy ) is held constant. If both the
    kinetic energy and potential energy are varying, which I confess if often what is happening when I am flying, the TE connected vario will indicate the algebraic sum of the kinetic and the potential energy.

What you are "pretending" is just what the TE compensated variometer is supposed to do. If you want to get into fancy descriptions it is showing the rate of change of potential energy. That said there is no reason to out think it. It's purpose is
    to tell you how fast you are going up or down without speed changes messing up the information.
    UH

The TE-connected vario is supposed to indicate lift while you are accelerating down the runway even though you are still on the ground--BECAUSE due to your acceleration, you are gaining energy--kinetic energy, even though you are not climbing (
    potential energy. Your TOTAL energy (KE + PE) is increasing because while the PE (altitude) remains the same, the KE (speed) is increasing. Thus the vario indicates "lift". This is how it's supposed to work.
    Hi John,

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I do understand why it is the vario is indicating "up" as the glider gathers speed along the runway. It is a good example of how a TE vario presents rate of change of energy. What left me uncertain is just how I might make use of rate-of-change of
    energy when I am looking for lift. I understand now from all the helpful comments I've received here that, at least some of the time, I can just see the up-needle on the TE vario as an indication of lift. I can live with that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05