• New FAA Airworthiness Directive (AD) for all Duo Discus and Duo Discus

From soarsn@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 9 13:44:56 2023
    ACTION:

Final rule; request for comments.

SUMMARY:

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for all Schempp-Hirth Flugzeugbau GmbH Model Duo Discus and Duo Discus T gliders. This AD was prompted by mandatory continuing airworthiness information (MCAI) originated by an aviation authority of
    another country to identify and correct an unsafe condition on an aviation product. The MCAI identifies the unsafe condition as cracks in the connecting tube of the elevator U-bracket of the horizontal tail, which could compromise the stiffness of the
    elevator control system and of the attachment of the horizontal tail. This AD requires repetitively inspecting the elevator U-bracket for cracks and broken weld seams, the rear connection between the horizontal tail and the rear attachment on the
    fuselage for play and softness, and the foam support for compression between the vertical and horizontal tail, and replacing or repairing damaged parts as applicable. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.

DATES:

This AD is effective February 24, 2023.

A copy of the AD is located here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/02/09/2023-02773/airworthiness-directives-schempp-hirth-flugzeugbau-gmbh-gliders

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Karl Striedieck@21:1/5 to soa...@yahoo.com on Fri Feb 10 06:15:43 2023
    On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 4:44:58 PM UTC-5, soa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    ACTION:

SUMMARY:

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for all Schempp-Hirth Flugzeugbau GmbH Model Duo Discus and Duo Discus T gliders. This AD was prompted by mandatory continuing airworthiness information (MCAI) originated by an aviation authority
    of another country to identify and correct an unsafe condition on an aviation product. The MCAI identifies the unsafe condition as cracks in the connecting tube of the elevator U-bracket of the horizontal tail, which could compromise the stiffness of the
    elevator control system and of the attachment of the horizontal tail. This AD requires repetitively inspecting the elevator U-bracket for cracks and broken weld seams, the rear connection between the horizontal tail and the rear attachment on the
    fuselage for play and softness, and the foam support for compression between the vertical and horizontal tail, and replacing or repairing damaged parts as applicable. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.

DATES:

A copy of the AD is located here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/02/09/2023-02773/airworthiness-directives-schempp-hirth-flugzeugbau-gmbh-gliders

If anyone has doubts about the efficiency and governmental proclivity towards make work bureacracy they need to read this "book." Two paragraphs would be plenty outside of Washington!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to soa...@yahoo.com on Fri Feb 10 09:10:25 2023
    On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 1:44:58 PM UTC-8, soa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    ACTION:

SUMMARY:

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for all Schempp-Hirth Flugzeugbau GmbH Model Duo Discus and Duo Discus T gliders. This AD was prompted by mandatory continuing airworthiness information (MCAI) originated by an aviation authority
    of another country to identify and correct an unsafe condition on an aviation product. The MCAI identifies the unsafe condition as cracks in the connecting tube of the elevator U-bracket of the horizontal tail, which could compromise the stiffness of the

DATES:

One wants to speculate on the possibility that this part failed in a couple of recent fatal and non-fatal accidents. At least in one case, it would explain the known facts pretty well.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 10:23:03 2023
    SSB3YXMgdG9sZCBieSBhIGxvY2FsIGdsaWRlciBleHBlcnQgdGhhdCB0aGUgcGFydCBpbiBx dWVzdGlvbiBpcyB0aGUgDQpzYW1lIChvciBhdCBsZWFzdCB2ZXJ5IHNpbWlsYXIpIHRvIGEg cGFydCBpbiBteSBTdGVtbWUuICBMYXN0IHN1bW1lciBJIA0KYWJhbmRvbmVkIGEgZmxpZ2h0 IG9uIGEgdGVycmlmaWMgc29hcmluZyBkYXkgYmVjYXVzZSB0aGUgZ2xpZGVyIGp1c3QgDQpk aWRuJ3QgZmVlbCByaWdodC4gIFVwb24gaW5zcGVjdGlvbiwgdGhlIGhvcml6b250YWwgdGFp bCBjb3VsZCBiZSBtb3ZlZCANCnVwIGFuZCBkb3duIGF0IHRoZSB0aXBzIGJ5IGFib3V0IDE0 IG1tICgrLy0gNyBtbSkuICBJIG9yZGVyZWQgdGhlIHBhcnQgDQppbiBxdWVzdGlvbiBhbmQg aGFkIGl0IGluc3RhbGxlZC4NCg0KRmxpZXMgZ3JlYXQgYWdhaW4hICBEbyB5b3VyIHNlbGYg YSBmYXZvciBhbmQgdGFrZSBhcmUgb2YgdGhhdC4NCg0KRGFuDQo1Sg0KDQpPbiAyLzEwLzIz IDEwOjEwLCBqZml0Y2ggd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIFRodXJzZGF5LCBGZWJydWFyeSA5LCAyMDIz IGF0IDE6NDQ6NTggUE0gVVRDLTgsIHNvYS4uLkB5YWhvby5jb20gd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBBQ1RJ T046DQo+Pg0KPj4gRmluYWwgcnVsZTsgcmVxdWVzdCBmb3IgY29tbWVudHMuDQo+Pg0KPj4g U1VNTUFSWToNCj4+DQo+PiBUaGUgRkFBIGlzIGFkb3B0aW5nIGEgbmV3IGFpcndvcnRoaW5l c3MgZGlyZWN0aXZlIChBRCkgZm9yIGFsbCBTY2hlbXBwLUhpcnRoIEZsdWd6ZXVnYmF1IEdt YkggTW9kZWwgRHVvIERpc2N1cyBhbmQgRHVvIERpc2N1cyBUIGdsaWRlcnMuIFRoaXMgQUQg d2FzIHByb21wdGVkIGJ5IG1hbmRhdG9yeSBjb250aW51aW5nIGFpcndvcnRoaW5lc3MgaW5m b3JtYXRpb24gKE1DQUkpIG9yaWdpbmF0ZWQgYnkgYW4gYXZpYXRpb24gYXV0aG9yaXR5IG9m IGFub3RoZXIgY291bnRyeSB0byBpZGVudGlmeSBhbmQgY29ycmVjdCBhbiB1bnNhZmUgY29u ZGl0aW9uIG9uIGFuIGF2aWF0aW9uIHByb2R1Y3QuIFRoZSBNQ0FJIGlkZW50aWZpZXMgdGhl IHVuc2FmZSBjb25kaXRpb24gYXMgY3JhY2tzIGluIHRoZSBjb25uZWN0aW5nIHR1YmUgb2Yg dGhlIGVsZXZhdG9yIFUtYnJhY2tldCBvZiB0aGUgaG9yaXpvbnRhbCB0YWlsLCB3aGljaCBj b3VsZCBjb21wcm9taXNlIHRoZSBzdGlmZm5lc3Mgb2YgdGhlIGVsZXZhdG9yIGNvbnRyb2wg c3lzdGVtIGFuZCBvZiB0aGUgYXR0YWNobWVudCBvZiB0aGUgaG9yaXpvbnRhbCB0YWlsLiBU aGlzIEFEIHJlcXVpcmVzIHJlcGV0aXRpdmVseSBpbnNwZWN0aW5nIHRoZSBlbGV2YXRvciBV LWJyYWNrZXQgZm9yIGNyYWNrcyBhbmQgYnJva2VuIHdlbGQgc2VhbXMsIHRoZSByZWFyIGNv bm5lY3Rpb24gYmV0d2VlbiB0aGUgaG9yaXpvbnRhbCB0YWlsIGFuZCB0aGUgcmVhciBhdHRh Y2htZW50IG9uIHRoZSBmdXNlbGFnZSBmb3IgcGxheSBhbmQgc29mdG5lc3MsIGFuZCB0aGUg Zm9hbSBzdXBwb3J0IGZvciBjb21wcmVzc2lvbiBiZXR3ZWVuIHRoZSB2ZXJ0aWNhbCBhbmQg aG9yaXpvbnRhbCB0YWlsLCBhbmQgcmVwbGFjaW5nIG9yIHJlcGFpcmluZyBkYW1hZ2VkIHBh cnRzIGFzIGFwcGxpY2FibGUuIFRoZSBGQUEgaXMgaXNzdWluZyB0aGlzIEFEIHRvIGFkZHJl c3MgdGhlIHVuc2FmZSBjb25kaXRpb24gb24gdGhlc2UgcHJvZHVjdHMuDQo+Pg0KPj4gREFU RVM6DQo+Pg0KPj4gVGhpcyBBRCBpcyBlZmZlY3RpdmUgRmVicnVhcnkgMjQsIDIwMjMuDQo+ Pg0KPj4gQSBjb3B5IG9mIHRoZSBBRCBpcyBsb2NhdGVkIGhlcmU6DQo+PiBodHRwczovL3d3 dy5mZWRlcmFscmVnaXN0ZXIuZ292L2RvY3VtZW50cy8yMDIzLzAyLzA5LzIwMjMtMDI3NzMv YWlyd29ydGhpbmVzcy1kaXJlY3RpdmVzLXNjaGVtcHAtaGlydGgtZmx1Z3pldWdiYXUtZ21i aC1nbGlkZXJzDQo+IE9uZSB3YW50cyB0byBzcGVjdWxhdGUgb24gdGhlIHBvc3NpYmlsaXR5 IHRoYXQgdGhpcyBwYXJ0IGZhaWxlZCBpbiBhIGNvdXBsZSBvZiByZWNlbnQgZmF0YWwgYW5k IG5vbi1mYXRhbCBhY2NpZGVudHMuIEF0IGxlYXN0IGluIG9uZSBjYXNlLCBpdCB3b3VsZCBl eHBsYWluIHRoZSBrbm93biBmYWN0cyBwcmV0dHkgd2VsbC4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 11:56:43 2023
    The Summary only mentions the Duo Discus and Duo Discus T. It also applies to all variants of the Arcus and Nimbus 4. It should also serve as notice to stop lifting the tail of the glider by putting your shoulder under the horizontal and picking it up.
    When you do that, you are loading these fittings that have the proposed AD applied to them.

Steve Leonard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Karl Striedieck@21:1/5 to Steve Leonard on Fri Feb 10 17:55:10 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 2:56:45 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
    The Summary only mentions the Duo Discus and Duo Discus T. It also applies to all variants of the Arcus and Nimbus 4. It should also serve as notice to stop lifting the tail of the glider by putting your shoulder under the horizontal and picking it up.
    When you do that, you are loading these fittings that have the proposed AD applied to them.

Steve Leonard
    Thanks for that Steve. Spot on!
    I can't think of an aerodynamic or trailer storage condition that would cause the damage. Motor gliders may be at higher risk due to heavier tail weights.

KS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Karl Striedieck on Sat Feb 11 09:54:52 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 5:55:12 PM UTC-8, Karl Striedieck wrote:
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 2:56:45 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
    The Summary only mentions the Duo Discus and Duo Discus T. It also applies to all variants of the Arcus and Nimbus 4. It should also serve as notice to stop lifting the tail of the glider by putting your shoulder under the horizontal and picking it
    up. When you do that, you are loading these fittings that have the proposed AD applied to them.

Steve Leonard
    Thanks for that Steve. Spot on!
    I can't think of an aerodynamic or trailer storage condition that would cause the damage. Motor gliders may be at higher risk due to heavier tail weights.

KS

I have always felt that SH method of attaching the horizontal stab is on the flimsy side. Oh, it’s strong enough for vertical loads, but give it a good side load and…………not so much! I must have half a dozen of those U members in my junk box,
    all from ground loop accidents. They’re all bent with one elevator up and the other bent down about 15 degrees! The load path goes from the U member on the vertical fin into the elevator receiver, then through 2 little elevator bearings with 6mm bolts,
    then into the horizontal stab spar . The forward sliding attachment also uses a 6mm rod in most models.
    After Surgio’s accident at Truckee, I made a quick mock-up that showed a large load on one side of the horizontal stab ( like a big bird strike) would twist the U member leaving one elevator up and the other one down! This scenario also resulted in the
    whole horizontal stabilizer tilted to one side and digging in (leading edge down). Would this explain the high G loops seen by some whitnesses?
    So, armed with this information, what should we do? I recommend you closely inspect the U member before every assembly and inspect the bearings on both sides of the elevator and look at the bearing mounts, too. They stand off about an inch behind the
    spar.
    Something to consider,
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Craig Reinholt@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 11 11:51:54 2023
    I have always felt that SH method of attaching the horizontal stab is on the flimsy side. Oh, it’s strong enough for vertical loads, but give it a good side load and…………not so much! I must have half a dozen of those U members in my junk box,
    all from ground loop accidents. They’re all bent with one elevator up and the other bent down about 15 degrees! The load path goes from the U member on the vertical fin into the elevator receiver, then through 2 little elevator bearings with 6mm bolts,
    then into the horizontal stab spar . The forward sliding attachment also uses a 6mm rod in most models.
    After Surgio’s accident at Truckee, I made a quick mock-up that showed a large load on one side of the horizontal stab ( like a big bird strike) would twist the U member leaving one elevator up and the other one down! This scenario also resulted in
    the whole horizontal stabilizer tilted to one side and digging in (leading edge down). Would this explain the high G loops seen by some whitnesses?
    So, armed with this information, what should we do? I recommend you closely inspect the U member before every assembly and inspect the bearings on both sides of the elevator and look at the bearing mounts, too. They stand off about an inch behind the
    spar.
    Something to consider,
    JJ

I suspect SH will beef up the design slightly and call it good. Slim chance that they will re-configure the part to be more robust (like AS?). Glider mfgs certainly can't admit the "other" guy has a better design.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Per Givskov@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 02:54:27 2023
    lørdag den 11. februar 2023 kl. 20.51.56 UTC+1 skrev Craig Reinholt:
    After Surgio’s accident at Truckee, I made a quick mock-up that showed a large load on one side of the horizontal stab ( like a big bird strike) would twist the U member leaving one elevator up and the other one down! This scenario also resulted in
    the whole horizontal stabilizer tilted to one side and digging in (leading edge down). Would this explain the high G loops seen by some whitnesses?
    spar.
    Something to consider,
    JJ
    I suspect SH will beef up the design slightly and call it good. Slim chance that they will re-configure the part to be more robust (like AS?). Glider mfgs certainly can't admit the "other" guy has a better design.

These models presents such a discomforting number of cases of poor design and poor manufacturing quality. Yet, it doesn't seem to affect the number of buying customers.
    In our country there's reason to believe, that identified faults reported to our authority won't systematically find it's way to the manufacturer.
    Look out for yourself out there.

A good design is resilient towards foreseeable unintended (ab)use.
    Who would ever consider lifting up a 40 kg plus tail by lifting under the tailplane? Apparently foreseeable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to Per Givskov on Sun Feb 12 07:05:24 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:54:29 AM UTC-5, Per Givskov wrote:
    I have always felt that SH method of attaching the horizontal stab is on the flimsy side. Oh, it’s strong enough for vertical loads, but give it a good side load and…………not so much! I must have half a dozen of those U members in my junk
    box, all from ground loop accidents. They’re all bent with one elevator up and the other bent down about 15 degrees! The load path goes from the U member on the vertical fin into the elevator receiver, then through 2 little elevator bearings with 6mm
    bolts, then into the horizontal stab spar . The forward sliding attachment also uses a 6mm rod in most models.
    After Surgio’s accident at Truckee, I made a quick mock-up that showed a large load on one side of the horizontal stab ( like a big bird strike) would twist the U member leaving one elevator up and the other one down! This scenario also resulted
    in the whole horizontal stabilizer tilted to one side and digging in (leading edge down). Would this explain the high G loops seen by some whitnesses?
    So, armed with this information, what should we do? I recommend you closely inspect the U member before every assembly and inspect the bearings on both sides of the elevator and look at the bearing mounts, too. They stand off about an inch behind
    the spar.
    Something to consider,
    JJ
    These models presents such a discomforting number of cases of poor design and poor manufacturing quality. Yet, it doesn't seem to affect the number of buying customers.
    In our country there's reason to believe, that identified faults reported to our authority won't systematically find it's way to the manufacturer.

Who would ever consider lifting up a 40 kg plus tail by lifting under the tailplane? Apparently foreseeable.

A good design is resilient towards foreseeable unintended (ab)use.<<
    Correct, but in aviation, there are limits to that, unless you are designing a flying tank.

Who would ever consider lifting up a 40 kg plus tail by lifting under the tailplane? Apparently foreseeable.<<
    Have seen it time and again! Same with turning the glider on the main wheel w/o a tail dolly installed by just yanking on the wing tip. Just because you have the dough to own a nice, shiny toy doesn't mean you have the brain power to understand the
    mechanics of things!
    I am sure these sort of things are covered in the 'Feeding & Care' manual, as in 'Do not ....'

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 15 16:44:06 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 7:05:28 AM UTC-8, AS wrote:
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:54:29 AM UTC-5, Per Givskov wrote:
    I have always felt that SH method of attaching the horizontal stab is on the flimsy side. Oh, it’s strong enough for vertical loads, but give it a good side load and…………not so much! I must have half a dozen of those U members in my junk
    box, all from ground loop accidents. They’re all bent with one elevator up and the other bent down about 15 degrees! The load path goes from the U member on the vertical fin into the elevator receiver, then through 2 little elevator bearings with 6mm
    bolts, then into the horizontal stab spar . The forward sliding attachment also uses a 6mm rod in most models.
    After Surgio’s accident at Truckee, I made a quick mock-up that showed a large load on one side of the horizontal stab ( like a big bird strike) would twist the U member leaving one elevator up and the other one down! This scenario also
    resulted in the whole horizontal stabilizer tilted to one side and digging in (leading edge down). Would this explain the high G loops seen by some whitnesses?
    So, armed with this information, what should we do? I recommend you closely inspect the U member before every assembly and inspect the bearings on both sides of the elevator and look at the bearing mounts, too. They stand off about an inch behind
    the spar.
    Something to consider,
    JJ

A good design is resilient towards foreseeable unintended (ab)use.<< Correct, but in aviation, there are limits to that, unless you are designing a flying tank.
    Who would ever consider lifting up a 40 kg plus tail by lifting under the tailplane? Apparently foreseeable.<<
    Have seen it time and again! Same with turning the glider on the main wheel w/o a tail dolly installed by just yanking on the wing tip. Just because you have the dough to own a nice, shiny toy doesn't mean you have the brain power to understand the
    mechanics of things!
    I am sure these sort of things are covered in the 'Feeding & Care' manual, as in 'Do not ....'

Uli
    'AS'

What I don't understand (after reading the tech note) is why the FAA thinks that it will take 7 hours to do this inspection (15-30 min should do). No holes have to be cut to access the U-bracket, it is visible with the tailplane removed.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Goldman@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 16 10:30:51 2023
    Same conditions applies to S-H ventus 2a-There is an AD for that model as well Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05