• How I started in soaring ...

From Glider Pilot@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 5 05:27:44 2023
    Ever wondered what makes a soaring pilot?

For me it started when I was kid around 11-years old building balsa wood RC gliders. I was thinking it would be cool to return to my roots and build a retro kit today more than four decades later. He is my short video:

https://youtu.be/0rCN3jGQvyM

Oscar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Glider Pilot on Sun Feb 5 13:42:11 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 5:27:46 AM UTC-8, Glider Pilot wrote:

For me it started when I was kid around 11-years old building balsa wood RC gliders. I was thinking it would be cool to return to my roots and build a retro kit today more than four decades later. He is my short video:

Oscar

I got hooked on Soaring in 1951. I had enlisted in the USAF, but my report date was about 10 days off! With nothing much to do, I found myself driving north from San Diego along the coast highway. I took a dirt side road to the edge of a 1000 foot cliff.
    Sitting on the edge of the cliff wondering what being a GI was going to be like, suddenly an open cockpit glider flew by! Shortly, he returned from the other direction, this time he was waving at me! He made numerous passes waving and shouting! After a
    while, he landed on the beach below me and shortly, a Piper Cub landed, hooked him up and took off towing the glider. That event was seared into my memory. I must have been close to Torrey Pines and the pod and boom glider was a Baby Bowlus!
    I took my first glider ride at Black Forest Gliderport, Co. and ordered a Duster sailplane kit shortly afterwards!
    I was hooked,
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Glider Pilot on Sun Feb 5 16:33:58 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 8:27:46 AM UTC-5, Glider Pilot wrote:

Oscar
    I saw my first glider contest at Harris Hill in 1955. I flew a model glider in the kids contest that was part of the nationals. I wanted to be a glider pilot from then on while building models and learning about aviation, especially soaring. My mom
    bought me a membership in SSA when I was 11. Now a 62 year life member. After college I started gliding lessons before I bought my first car.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 10:06:15 2023
    50 year anniversary this month for me. Life membership a year later. Installment plan…4 easy payments …$50.
    Soloed in a 2-22 with a pellet variometer. After 5 lessons in a Cub they made me chief tow pilot (nobody wanted to tow).
    A classmate offered to take me for a ride in a 2-33 on a perfect day. It was all I needed. His daddy bought him a Diamant. At the time a most spectacular glider.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herbert Kilian@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 11:14:34 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 12:06:17 PM UTC-6, R wrote:
    50 year anniversary this month for me. Life membership a year later. Installment plan…4 easy payments …$50.
    Soloed in a 2-22 with a pellet variometer. After 5 lessons in a Cub they made me chief tow pilot (nobody wanted to tow).
    A classmate offered to take me for a ride in a 2-33 on a perfect day. It was all I needed. His daddy bought him a Diamant. At the time a most spectacular glider.

R
    Tough to compete with UH and others on this topic.
    Turning 30 in 1980 and having a family with 2 small boys, I requested the OK of my wonderful wife to join a club near Hamelin Germany (Pied Piper Town). I had built RC models of all kinds and always wanted to be the pilot up there looking down rather
    that standing with a transmitter on the ground. Soloed on the winch in Oerlinghausen at flight No. 28 and over a year was cleared to fly all 10 club gliders, up to the Speed Astir. Now at 4,000 h, at glider #5, I still love the sport and the gliding
    family.
    Be kind to each other, even to those flying motorgliders.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to Glider Pilot on Mon Feb 6 11:32:31 2023

Oscar

Nice slope, where is that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Darren Braun on Mon Feb 6 13:40:05 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 11:32:32 AM UTC-8, Darren Braun wrote:

Oscar
    Nice slope, where is that?

I built and flew control line, free flight and R/C models in the late 50's to mid 60's. Soloed in a 2-22 (with a pellet vario) at Bermuda High Soaring School in 1969. I was a flight instructor, ride pilot and tow pilot at BHSS. Gren Seibels let me fly
    his 301 Libelle one day in 1975 and I was hooked forever. Now living in Reno, flying glider #4 out of Air Sailing. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Feb 6 14:56:15 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 5:30:51 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 1:06:17 PM UTC-5, R wrote:

R
    Ok R. you're just a youngster! Bill Harris was probably your instructor, and Maggie was making hot dogs in the crockpot at Kendall Gliderport.
    Let me throw a name out there and see how many people remember Paul Crowell, AKA Pablo and Fritz Sebek. Now I know Burt knows them both, so we will not count his vote. Fritz gave me my first glider ride and from that day on I was a hooked glider guy.
    Scotty Bingham and I had Std Cirrus's and flew almost every day. Eileen was part of the sky diving group at the gliderport and later began flying gliders out at Kendall Gliderport.
    Henry, most people would not believe how much fun we had back in the good days in Miami. OBTP
    And I forgot to add. we did not have motorgliders!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 14:30:49 2023

R
    Ok R. you're just a youngster! Bill Harris was probably your instructor, and Maggie was making hot dogs in the crockpot at Kendall Gliderport.
    Let me throw a name out there and see how many people remember Paul Crowell, AKA Pablo and Fritz Sebek. Now I know Burt knows them both, so we will not count his vote. Fritz gave me my first glider ride and from that day on I was a hooked glider guy.
    Scotty Bingham and I had Std Cirrus's and flew almost every day. Eileen was part of the sky diving group at the gliderport and later began flying gliders out at Kendall Gliderport.
    Henry, most people would not believe how much fun we had back in the good days in Miami. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Feb 6 17:13:25 2023
    Returning from a business trip in Australia, my brother invited me to
    spend some time with him in Hawaii to fly a glider. I asked what good
    is an airplane without an engine but, loving to fly, I accepted the
    invitation.

We went to Dillingham where I met Elmer Udd and, after a conversation
    about my flight experience, he let me fly the brand new Grob-103 from
    brake release to final roll out! Next day, I returned and on my 5th
    flight, soloed in a 2-33. Returning to Texas, I joined TSA and the SSA
    and went right to a Commercial add-on.

I got my winch training on a subsequent trip to Australia and began a
    journey of ever increasing performance. I started my Silver Badge and
    won first place in the TSA Labor Dan lap races, Sports Class, in my
    first glider, a Glasflugel Mosquito and finished in my second, an ASW-19b.

I completed my Gold Badge in the -19b and then completed my Diamond
    Badge in my third glider, an LS-6a, a wonderful ship! I flew two
    contests in the LS-6 finishing in the middle of the pack in one and dead
    last in the other. Since then, I've just flown for fun in a second
    LS-6, a borrowed Mosquito, a LAK-17a, and finally, in my Stemme.

I haven't stopped flying powered aircraft, either, and just passed my
    50th anniversary of my first solo as a USAF student pilot.

Dan
    5J

On 2/6/23 15:56, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Papa3@21:1/5 to Glider Pilot on Mon Feb 6 15:38:01 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 8:27:46 AM UTC-5, Glider Pilot wrote:

Oscar

Coming up on 40 years for me. I was a kid visiting my mom's family in Germany when my cousins took me along to the gliderport east of Hamburg. Having built static and flying models since I was about 5, this took things to a whole other level. A
    winch launch with the K-13 was incredible. My flying waited a few years 'til freshman year of college. Walking back from some orientation I cut through a courtyard, and sitting there was a 1-34 being displayed by the college glider club. First
    flight the next day, and pretty much been going non-stop since late 1984.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Feb 7 05:47:33 2023
    On Monday, February 6, 2023 at 7:13:29 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Returning from a business trip in Australia, my brother invited me to
    spend some time with him in Hawaii to fly a glider. I asked what good
    is an airplane without an engine but, loving to fly, I accepted the invitation.

We went to Dillingham where I met Elmer Udd and, after a conversation
    about my flight experience, he let me fly the brand new Grob-103 from
    brake release to final roll out! Next day, I returned and on my 5th
    flight, soloed in a 2-33. Returning to Texas, I joined TSA and the SSA
    and went right to a Commercial add-on.

I got my winch training on a subsequent trip to Australia and began a journey of ever increasing performance. I started my Silver Badge and
    won first place in the TSA Labor Dan lap races, Sports Class, in my
    first glider, a Glasflugel Mosquito and finished in my second, an ASW-19b.

I completed my Gold Badge in the -19b and then completed my Diamond
    Badge in my third glider, an LS-6a, a wonderful ship! I flew two
    contests in the LS-6 finishing in the middle of the pack in one and dead last in the other. Since then, I've just flown for fun in a second
    LS-6, a borrowed Mosquito, a LAK-17a, and finally, in my Stemme.

I haven't stopped flying powered aircraft, either, and just passed my
    50th anniversary of my first solo as a USAF student pilot.

Dan
    5J
    On 2/6/23 15:56, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

R

I started flying airplanes as a Freshman in college, 1974. I got my first 2-33 "tourist ride" in Franconia NH in 1975. Life, work and many moves around the country put me in Las Vegas. Standing in the registration line for a CES convention I met a glider
    pilot that invited me to the local club. Solo'd an L-13 in 3 flights and within 5 months completed my glider add-on in 1998. Spent 22yrs with that club in various management roles, obtained my CFI-G and performed tow pilot duties. Now I am retired and
    back "home" in New England with another well established club. I am also flying back at Franconia during our club's annual safari.

Bill
    SGS 1-35C, 83H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 12:36:14 2023
    Hard to believe the Blanik first flight was in 1956. Ahead of its time. The all metal Schweizer 2-32 would first fly in 1962 and go on to win a Open Class Championship.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to Glider Pilot on Tue Feb 7 12:17:00 2023
    Very cool video, Oscar! Here's my story:

So, it was 1966, a hot lazy summer day north of Canton, Ohio, and my 11-year-old self was laying in the grass on big hill in the cow pasture behind our house. Daydreaming and admiring the puffy clouds, you know. Suddenly I noticed a red and white long-
    winged aircraft, circling overhead. Interesting, no engine, a glider! Then it got smaller and smaller, obviously gaining altitude.... Mind blown. How could this be? That evening, I excitedly told my dad about this (he soloed a Cub in the 30's, never
    got his license though). He explained updrafts to me. Wow. He called a few friends, and found out that there was a glider club operating at nearby Martin Field, must be from there.

The next day I got permission to ride my bike to Martin Field, 3 miles or so, furthest from home I'd ever ridden at that time. Yep, gliders were flying there. The club was "Freedom's Soaring Thunderbirds", now called "Soaring Thunderbirds" and
    currently operating out of Wadsworth Airport, west of Akron. The red and white glider was a K-8. I stayed all day watching, so long that I got in trouble because I got home so late.

The next weekend my dad took me over there, and they put me in the front seat of a Blanik (along with a load of lead) and I took a ride. Mind blown again.....

I immediately shifted my interest from slot cars to model airplanes, specifically RC gliders. Built a bunch of 'em. I read every single book on aviation that I could find in the Canton Public Library. I remember one in particular was about gliding
    activity between WW I and WW II, complete with pictures, wish I could remember the name of the book. I would occasionally see a glider in the air, and would ride my bike over to Martin Field to watch them flying.

One weekend a year or so after my first sighting there was a WHOLE BUNCH of gliders flying - a contest! Amazing variety of gliders, but I was attracted to one in particular, it had a V tail and a beautiful streamlined nose, an SHK or SH-1. I remember
    asking the pilot how it could be controlled with such a strange tail, and he showed and explained to me the mixing function, I was amazed. I am sure that his patient time with me was a seed of my fascination with the stability and control of aircraft,
    which led to my wonderful 35 year career as an aeronautical engineer.

Haha, 12 or so years after meeting this guy, my first sailplane was - an SHK!

Anyway, the club moved to a different airport before I was old enough to start training, sigh. But I flew my RC gliders, never got that good at it but had lots of fun, even did some thermal soaring occasionally! And we vacationed on the Outer Banks of
    NC, and I slope soared my RC gliders on Jockey's Ridge there. There I saw hang gliders (1972 or so, don't fly higher than you are willing to fall!) and caught the bug. I ordered a kit from Sky Sports, a LARK (Low Aspect Ratio Kite), a standard Rogallo
    wing, and taught myself to fly it.

As a freshman at Purdue University's School of Aeronautical Engineering, I found out that a club called the Lafayette Soaring Society was operating east of the campus, I checked it out, they trained in a 2-22, and I joined up. Only took a few flights
    though before I realized that schoolwork and girls (or, at least the efforts trying to meet them...) would not allow me the time (nor did I have the money) to learn to fly sailplanes just then. My instructor for those few flights was an Aerodynamics
    Grad Student named Dan Somers, many of you know him now.

I reverted back to hang gliding through my college years. Numerous weekend trips to Indian Dunes, Michigan, when I could take time off from schoolwork. Some good flying, maybe more so some good partying on the beach, haha.

When I graduated in 1977, I got a job at Boeing in Seattle, and finally had the money to learn to fly sailplanes. Joined the Boeing Employee's Soaring Club, and got some GREAT training. British style operation, the core of club was a group of British
    ex-pat aero engineers/glider pilots who came over in the '60's when the British aeronautic industry had some major cutbacks and Boeing was full bore designing the 727 and 737 etc. Passed my check ride 7 months after starting. Gained notoriety in the
    club a year later by attempting a 300k FAI triangle in the club's ratty old 1-26 "Thunder Chicken". This flight ended in my first landout, in a fallow wheat field halfway along the second leg, because of - extreme airsickness! I was high and on
    schedule, the clouds ahead looked great, but I just couldn't handle the dry heaves anymore.... I'll save this landout story for another time, or you can ask me about it, it's a good one! I defeated airsickness finally a few years later, I really had to
    force myself sometimes to stick with it....

Gave up the hang gliding around 1981, to concentrate on sailplane flying. To this day, I miss the hang gliding, wish I had had the time and energy to do both.

Over the 46 years since I started, I have had to take a few long breaks from the sport, for career reasons, but I always came back. So I'm only around 2000 hours, but they have all been interesting.... I got all my Diamonds south of the Mason-Dixon and
    east of the Mississippi. My 500k was an FAI triangle out of Peach State Gliderport, there were a half dozen of us flying it that day (separately, not together as a gaggle), the first time any 500k triangles were ever flown in Georgia I believe. Wave
    flight over Mount Mitchell NC for my Diamond climb, took 4 years of trying for me to get that one.... At least 2 dozen off-airport landings (one was in my Mustang II homebuilt airplane, sure glad I had the glider experience, which made this one a whole
    lot less stressful). I realized that my wife was the one for me when she arrived to retrieve me out of a cow pasture - with a big smile on her face, viewing it all as a great adventure! My first contest, Cordele in 1983, I landed out every single day,
    haha (I wasn't the only one!). A fair amount of towing in our club's Pawnee, starting to pay back for the many tows that I have gratefully received. Nowadays I fly a few contests every year, but primarily I fly western mountain expeditions, out of
    remote airfields with my self-launcher, the call of the mountains is very strong for me these days.

Thanks for this opportunity to share how I got into soaring.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 7:27:46 AM UTC-6, Glider Pilot wrote:

Oscar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mropitz1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 13:40:09 2023
    Well, I was born into a soaring family, so my first ride was probably sometime in 1950 when my mother was pregnant with me. My father hung a very nice
    wooden model DFS Kranich over my crib. (Unfortunately, I destroyed that model by playing with it when I was very young, but I remember it well.) I grew up on
    glider fields, flying models until I could start taking actual lessons when I was 13
    to solo at 14, and I haven't stopped since. My father started and ended his flying
    in gliders with a lot of other stuff in between, and that's how it looks like it will be
    for me as well.

Mike Opitz
    RO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Martin@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 13:57:27 2023
    In 1970, as a newly minted and married 2nd Lt USAF civil engineering, I was sent to the eastern front, RAF Upper Heyford. Our off base housing was in Stratton Audley which just happened to be right next to the RAF gliding center of Bicester. As I
    walked out the first morning after arriving, I saw ships being winched into the air and thought "That looks interesting!!" As a member of a NATO force I could join the RAF gliding center where flight costs were literally pennies. 60 or so flights in
    the T-21 off the winch with each one being 3, 4 or maybe 5 minutes I got to go solo. Once solo you could upgrade to aero tow and got to fly many different ships, OLY 2b, Oly 419, Gruno Baby, Slingsby Dart and finally the Libelle. Left the UK with 300
    hrs a silver badge and have been at it ever since. Still married to the same wonderful wife who puts up with my addiction.

David Martin
    BV

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 15:02:41 2023
    R3JlYXQgc3RvcnksIEppbSEgIFRlbGwgdXMgYWJvdXQgdGhhdCBsYW5kIG91dCBpbiB0aGUg MS0yNi4NCg0KRGFuDQo1Sg0KDQpPbiAyLzcvMjMgMTM6MTcsIEo2IGFrYSBBaXJwb3J0IEJ1 bSB3cm90ZToNCj4gVmVyeSBjb29sIHZpZGVvLCBPc2NhciEgIEhlcmUncyBteSBzdG9yeToN Cj4gDQo+IFNvLCBpdCB3YXMgMTk2NiwgYSBob3QgbGF6eSBzdW1tZXIgZGF5IG5vcnRoIG9m IENhbnRvbiwgT2hpbywgYW5kIG15IDExLXllYXItb2xkIHNlbGYgd2FzIGxheWluZyBpbiB0 aGUgZ3Jhc3Mgb24gYmlnIGhpbGwgaW4gdGhlIGNvdyBwYXN0dXJlIGJlaGluZCBvdXIgaG91 c2UuICBEYXlkcmVhbWluZyBhbmQgYWRtaXJpbmcgdGhlIHB1ZmZ5IGNsb3VkcywgeW91IGtu b3cuICBTdWRkZW5seSBJIG5vdGljZWQgYSByZWQgYW5kIHdoaXRlIGxvbmctd2luZ2VkIGFp cmNyYWZ0LCBjaXJjbGluZyBvdmVyaGVhZC4gIEludGVyZXN0aW5nLCBubyBlbmdpbmUsIGEg Z2xpZGVyISAgVGhlbiBpdCBnb3Qgc21hbGxlciBhbmQgc21hbGxlciwgb2J2aW91c2x5IGdh aW5pbmcgYWx0aXR1ZGUuLi4uICBNaW5kIGJsb3duLiAgSG93IGNvdWxkIHRoaXMgYmU/ICBU aGF0IGV2ZW5pbmcsIEkgZXhjaXRlZGx5IHRvbGQgbXkgZGFkIGFib3V0IHRoaXMgKGhlIHNv bG9lZCBhIEN1YiBpbiB0aGUgMzAncywgbmV2ZXIgZ290IGhpcyBsaWNlbnNlIHRob3VnaCku ICBIZSBleHBsYWluZWQgdXBkcmFmdHMgdG8gbWUuICBXb3cuICBIZSBjYWxsZWQgYSBmZXcg ZnJpZW5kcywgYW5kIGZvdW5kIG91dCB0aGF0IHRoZXJlIHdhcyBhIGdsaWRlciBjbHViIG9w ZXJhdGluZyBhdCBuZWFyYnkgTWFydGluIEZpZWxkLCBtdXN0IGJlIGZyb20gdGhlcmUuDQo+ IA0KPiBUaGUgbmV4dCBkYXkgSSBnb3QgcGVybWlzc2lvbiB0byByaWRlIG15IGJpa2UgdG8g TWFydGluIEZpZWxkLCAzIG1pbGVzIG9yIHNvLCBmdXJ0aGVzdCBmcm9tIGhvbWUgSSdkIGV2 ZXIgcmlkZGVuIGF0IHRoYXQgdGltZS4gIFllcCwgZ2xpZGVycyB3ZXJlIGZseWluZyB0aGVy ZS4gIFRoZSBjbHViIHdhcyAiRnJlZWRvbSdzIFNvYXJpbmcgVGh1bmRlcmJpcmRzIiwgbm93 IGNhbGxlZCAiU29hcmluZyBUaHVuZGVyYmlyZHMiIGFuZCBjdXJyZW50bHkgb3BlcmF0aW5n IG91dCBvZiBXYWRzd29ydGggQWlycG9ydCwgd2VzdCBvZiBBa3Jvbi4gIFRoZSByZWQgYW5k IHdoaXRlIGdsaWRlciB3YXMgYSBLLTguICBJIHN0YXllZCBhbGwgZGF5IHdhdGNoaW5nLCBz byBsb25nIHRoYXQgSSBnb3QgaW4gdHJvdWJsZSBiZWNhdXNlIEkgZ290IGhvbWUgc28gbGF0 ZS4NCj4gDQo+IFRoZSBuZXh0IHdlZWtlbmQgbXkgZGFkIHRvb2sgbWUgb3ZlciB0aGVyZSwg YW5kIHRoZXkgcHV0IG1lIGluIHRoZSBmcm9udCBzZWF0IG9mIGEgQmxhbmlrIChhbG9uZyB3 aXRoIGEgbG9hZCBvZiBsZWFkKSBhbmQgSSB0b29rIGEgcmlkZS4gIE1pbmQgYmxvd24gYWdh aW4uLi4uLg0KPiANCj4gSSBpbW1lZGlhdGVseSBzaGlmdGVkIG15IGludGVyZXN0IGZyb20g c2xvdCBjYXJzIHRvIG1vZGVsIGFpcnBsYW5lcywgc3BlY2lmaWNhbGx5IFJDIGdsaWRlcnMu ICBCdWlsdCBhIGJ1bmNoIG9mICdlbS4gIEkgcmVhZCBldmVyeSBzaW5nbGUgYm9vayBvbiBh dmlhdGlvbiB0aGF0IEkgY291bGQgZmluZCBpbiB0aGUgQ2FudG9uIFB1YmxpYyBMaWJyYXJ5 LiAgSSByZW1lbWJlciBvbmUgaW4gcGFydGljdWxhciB3YXMgYWJvdXQgZ2xpZGluZyBhY3Rp dml0eSBiZXR3ZWVuIFdXIEkgYW5kIFdXIElJLCBjb21wbGV0ZSB3aXRoIHBpY3R1cmVzLCB3 aXNoIEkgY291bGQgcmVtZW1iZXIgdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGJvb2suICBJIHdvdWxkIG9j Y2FzaW9uYWxseSBzZWUgYSBnbGlkZXIgaW4gdGhlIGFpciwgYW5kIHdvdWxkIHJpZGUgbXkg YmlrZSBvdmVyIHRvIE1hcnRpbiBGaWVsZCB0byB3YXRjaCB0aGVtIGZseWluZy4NCj4gDQo+ IE9uZSB3ZWVrZW5kIGEgeWVhciBvciBzbyBhZnRlciBteSBmaXJzdCBzaWdodGluZyB0aGVy ZSB3YXMgYSBXSE9MRSBCVU5DSCBvZiBnbGlkZXJzIGZseWluZyAtIGEgY29udGVzdCEgIEFt YXppbmcgdmFyaWV0eSBvZiBnbGlkZXJzLCBidXQgSSB3YXMgYXR0cmFjdGVkIHRvIG9uZSBp biBwYXJ0aWN1bGFyLCBpdCBoYWQgYSBWIHRhaWwgYW5kIGEgYmVhdXRpZnVsIHN0cmVhbWxp bmVkIG5vc2UsIGFuIFNISyBvciBTSC0xLiAgSSByZW1lbWJlciBhc2tpbmcgdGhlIHBpbG90 IGhvdyBpdCBjb3VsZCBiZSBjb250cm9sbGVkIHdpdGggc3VjaCBhIHN0cmFuZ2UgdGFpbCwg YW5kIGhlIHNob3dlZCBhbmQgZXhwbGFpbmVkIHRvIG1lIHRoZSBtaXhpbmcgZnVuY3Rpb24s IEkgd2FzIGFtYXplZC4gIEkgYW0gc3VyZSB0aGF0IGhpcyBwYXRpZW50IHRpbWUgd2l0aCBt ZSB3YXMgYSBzZWVkIG9mIG15IGZhc2NpbmF0aW9uIHdpdGggdGhlIHN0YWJpbGl0eSBhbmQg Y29udHJvbCBvZiBhaXJjcmFmdCwgd2hpY2ggbGVkIHRvIG15IHdvbmRlcmZ1bCAzNSB5ZWFy IGNhcmVlciBhcyBhbiBhZXJvbmF1dGljYWwgZW5naW5lZXIuDQo+IA0KPiBIYWhhLCAxMiBv ciBzbyB5ZWFycyBhZnRlciBtZWV0aW5nIHRoaXMgZ3V5LCBteSBmaXJzdCBzYWlscGxhbmUg d2FzIC0gYW4gU0hLIQ0KPiANCj4gQW55d2F5LCB0aGUgY2x1YiBtb3ZlZCB0byBhIGRpZmZl cmVudCBhaXJwb3J0IGJlZm9yZSBJIHdhcyBvbGQgZW5vdWdoIHRvIHN0YXJ0IHRyYWluaW5n LCBzaWdoLiAgQnV0IEkgZmxldyBteSBSQyBnbGlkZXJzLCBuZXZlciBnb3QgdGhhdCBnb29k IGF0IGl0IGJ1dCBoYWQgbG90cyBvZiBmdW4sIGV2ZW4gZGlkIHNvbWUgdGhlcm1hbCBzb2Fy aW5nIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSEgIEFuZCB3ZSB2YWNhdGlvbmVkIG9uIHRoZSBPdXRlciBCYW5r cyBvZiBOQywgYW5kIEkgc2xvcGUgc29hcmVkIG15IFJDIGdsaWRlcnMgb24gSm9ja2V5J3Mg UmlkZ2UgdGhlcmUuICBUaGVyZSBJIHNhdyBoYW5nIGdsaWRlcnMgKDE5NzIgb3Igc28sIGRv bid0IGZseSBoaWdoZXIgdGhhbiB5b3UgYXJlIHdpbGxpbmcgdG8gZmFsbCEpIGFuZCBjYXVn aHQgdGhlIGJ1Zy4gIEkgb3JkZXJlZCBhIGtpdCBmcm9tIFNreSBTcG9ydHMsIGEgTEFSSyAo TG93IEFzcGVjdCBSYXRpbyBLaXRlKSwgYSBzdGFuZGFyZCBSb2dhbGxvIHdpbmcsIGFuZCB0 YXVnaHQgbXlzZWxmIHRvIGZseSBpdC4NCj4gDQo+IEFzIGEgZnJlc2htYW4gYXQgUHVyZHVl IFVuaXZlcnNpdHkncyBTY2hvb2wgb2YgQWVyb25hdXRpY2FsIEVuZ2luZWVyaW5nLCBJIGZv dW5kIG91dCB0aGF0IGEgY2x1YiBjYWxsZWQgdGhlIExhZmF5ZXR0ZSBTb2FyaW5nIFNvY2ll dHkgd2FzIG9wZXJhdGluZyBlYXN0IG9mIHRoZSBjYW1wdXMsIEkgY2hlY2tlZCBpdCBvdXQs IHRoZXkgdHJhaW5lZCBpbiBhIDItMjIsIGFuZCBJIGpvaW5lZCB1cC4gIE9ubHkgdG9vayBh IGZldyBmbGlnaHRzIHRob3VnaCBiZWZvcmUgSSByZWFsaXplZCB0aGF0IHNjaG9vbHdvcmsg YW5kIGdpcmxzIChvciwgYXQgbGVhc3QgdGhlIGVmZm9ydHMgdHJ5aW5nIHRvIG1lZXQgdGhl bS4uLikgd291bGQgbm90IGFsbG93IG1lIHRoZSB0aW1lIChub3IgZGlkIEkgaGF2ZSB0aGUg bW9uZXkpIHRvIGxlYXJuIHRvIGZseSBzYWlscGxhbmVzIGp1c3QgdGhlbi4gIE15IGluc3Ry dWN0b3IgZm9yIHRob3NlIGZldyBmbGlnaHRzIHdhcyBhbiBBZXJvZHluYW1pY3MgR3JhZCBT dHVkZW50IG5hbWVkIERhbiBTb21lcnMsIG1hbnkgb2YgeW91IGtub3cgaGltIG5vdy4NCj4g DQo+IEkgcmV2ZXJ0ZWQgYmFjayB0byBoYW5nIGdsaWRpbmcgdGhyb3VnaCBteSBjb2xsZWdl IHllYXJzLiAgTnVtZXJvdXMgd2Vla2VuZCB0cmlwcyB0byBJbmRpYW4gRHVuZXMsIE1pY2hp Z2FuLCB3aGVuIEkgY291bGQgdGFrZSB0aW1lIG9mZiBmcm9tIHNjaG9vbHdvcmsuICBTb21l IGdvb2QgZmx5aW5nLCBtYXliZSBtb3JlIHNvIHNvbWUgZ29vZCBwYXJ0eWluZyBvbiB0aGUg YmVhY2gsIGhhaGEuDQo+IA0KPiBXaGVuIEkgZ3JhZHVhdGVkIGluIDE5NzcsIEkgZ290IGEg am9iIGF0IEJvZWluZyBpbiBTZWF0dGxlLCBhbmQgZmluYWxseSBoYWQgdGhlIG1vbmV5IHRv IGxlYXJuIHRvIGZseSBzYWlscGxhbmVzLiAgSm9pbmVkIHRoZSBCb2VpbmcgRW1wbG95ZWUn cyBTb2FyaW5nIENsdWIsIGFuZCBnb3Qgc29tZSBHUkVBVCB0cmFpbmluZy4gIEJyaXRpc2gg c3R5bGUgb3BlcmF0aW9uLCB0aGUgY29yZSBvZiBjbHViIHdhcyBhIGdyb3VwIG9mIEJyaXRp c2ggZXgtcGF0IGFlcm8gZW5naW5lZXJzL2dsaWRlciBwaWxvdHMgd2hvIGNhbWUgb3ZlciBp biB0aGUgJzYwJ3Mgd2hlbiB0aGUgQnJpdGlzaCBhZXJvbmF1dGljIGluZHVzdHJ5IGhhZCBz b21lIG1ham9yIGN1dGJhY2tzIGFuZCBCb2Vpbmcgd2FzIGZ1bGwgYm9yZSBkZXNpZ25pbmcg dGhlIDcyNyBhbmQgNzM3IGV0Yy4gIFBhc3NlZCBteSBjaGVjayByaWRlIDcgbW9udGhzIGFm dGVyIHN0YXJ0aW5nLiAgR2FpbmVkIG5vdG9yaWV0eSBpbiB0aGUgY2x1YiBhIHllYXIgbGF0 ZXIgYnkgYXR0ZW1wdGluZyBhIDMwMGsgRkFJIHRyaWFuZ2xlIGluIHRoZSBjbHViJ3MgcmF0 dHkgb2xkIDEtMjYgIlRodW5kZXIgQ2hpY2tlbiIuICBUaGlzIGZsaWdodCBlbmRlZCBpbiBt eSBmaXJzdCBsYW5kb3V0LCBpbiBhIGZhbGxvdyB3aGVhdCBmaWVsZCBoYWxmd2F5IGFsb25n IHRoZSBzZWNvbmQgbGVnLCBiZWNhdXNlIG9mIC0gZXh0cmVtZSBhaXJzaWNrbmVzcyEgIEkg d2FzIGhpZ2ggYW5kIG9uIHNjaGVkdWxlLCB0aGUgY2xvdWRzIGFoZWFkIGxvb2tlZCBncmVh dCwgYnV0IEkganVzdCBjb3VsZG4ndCBoYW5kbGUgdGhlIGRyeSBoZWF2ZXMgYW55bW9yZS4u Li4gIEknbGwgc2F2ZSB0aGlzIGxhbmRvdXQgc3RvcnkgZm9yIGFub3RoZXIgdGltZSwgb3Ig eW91IGNhbiBhc2sgbWUgYWJvdXQgaXQsIGl0J3MgYSBnb29kIG9uZSEgIEkgZGVmZWF0ZWQg YWlyc2lja25lc3MgZmluYWxseSBhIGZldyB5ZWFycyBsYXRlciwgSSByZWFsbHkgaGFkIHRv IGZvcmNlIG15c2VsZiBzb21ldGltZXMgdG8gc3RpY2sgd2l0aCBpdC4uLi4NCj4gDQo+IEdh dmUgdXAgdGhlIGhhbmcgZ2xpZGluZyBhcm91bmQgMTk4MSwgdG8gY29uY2VudHJhdGUgb24g c2FpbHBsYW5lIGZseWluZy4gIFRvIHRoaXMgZGF5LCBJIG1pc3MgdGhlIGhhbmcgZ2xpZGlu Zywgd2lzaCBJIGhhZCBoYWQgdGhlIHRpbWUgYW5kIGVuZXJneSB0byBkbyBib3RoLg0KPiAN Cj4gT3ZlciB0aGUgNDYgeWVhcnMgc2luY2UgSSBzdGFydGVkLCBJIGhhdmUgaGFkIHRvIHRh a2UgYSBmZXcgbG9uZyBicmVha3MgZnJvbSB0aGUgc3BvcnQsIGZvciBjYXJlZXIgcmVhc29u cywgYnV0IEkgYWx3YXlzIGNhbWUgYmFjay4gIFNvIEknbSBvbmx5IGFyb3VuZCAyMDAwIGhv dXJzLCBidXQgdGhleSBoYXZlIGFsbCBiZWVuIGludGVyZXN0aW5nLi4uLiAgSSBnb3QgYWxs IG15IERpYW1vbmRzIHNvdXRoIG9mIHRoZSBNYXNvbi1EaXhvbiBhbmQgZWFzdCBvZiB0aGUg TWlzc2lzc2lwcGkuICBNeSA1MDBrIHdhcyBhbiBGQUkgdHJpYW5nbGUgb3V0IG9mIFBlYWNo IFN0YXRlIEdsaWRlcnBvcnQsIHRoZXJlIHdlcmUgYSBoYWxmIGRvemVuIG9mIHVzIGZseWlu ZyBpdCB0aGF0IGRheSAoc2VwYXJhdGVseSwgbm90IHRvZ2V0aGVyIGFzIGEgZ2FnZ2xlKSwg dGhlIGZpcnN0IHRpbWUgYW55IDUwMGsgdHJpYW5nbGVzIHdlcmUgZXZlciBmbG93biBpbiBH ZW9yZ2lhIEkgYmVsaWV2ZS4gIFdhdmUgZmxpZ2h0IG92ZXIgTW91bnQgTWl0Y2hlbGwgTkMg Zm9yIG15IERpYW1vbmQgY2xpbWIsIHRvb2sgNCB5ZWFycyBvZiB0cnlpbmcgZm9yIG1lIHRv IGdldCB0aGF0IG9uZS4uLi4gIEF0IGxlYXN0IDIgZG96ZW4gb2ZmLWFpcnBvcnQgbGFuZGlu Z3MgKG9uZSB3YXMgaW4gbXkgTXVzdGFuZyBJSSBob21lYnVpbHQgYWlycGxhbmUsIHN1cmUg Z2xhZCBJIGhhZCB0aGUgZ2xpZGVyIGV4cGVyaWVuY2UsIHdoaWNoIG1hZGUgdGhpcyBvbmUg YSB3aG9sZSBsb3QgbGVzcyBzdHJlc3NmdWwpLiAgSSByZWFsaXplZCB0aGF0IG15IHdpZmUg d2FzIHRoZSBvbmUgZm9yIG1lIHdoZW4gc2hlIGFycml2ZWQgdG8gcmV0cmlldmUgbWUgb3V0 IG9mIGEgY293IHBhc3R1cmUgLSB3aXRoIGEgYmlnIHNtaWxlIG9uIGhlciBmYWNlLCB2aWV3 aW5nIGl0IGFsbCBhcyBhIGdyZWF0IGFkdmVudHVyZSEgIE15IGZpcnN0IGNvbnRlc3QsIENv cmRlbGUgaW4gMTk4MywgSSBsYW5kZWQgb3V0IGV2ZXJ5IHNpbmdsZSBkYXksIGhhaGEgKEkg d2Fzbid0IHRoZSBvbmx5IG9uZSEpLiAgIEEgZmFpciBhbW91bnQgb2YgdG93aW5nIGluIG91 ciBjbHViJ3MgUGF3bmVlLCBzdGFydGluZyB0byBwYXkgYmFjayBmb3IgdGhlIG1hbnkgdG93 cyB0aGF0IEkgaGF2ZSBncmF0ZWZ1bGx5IHJlY2VpdmVkLiAgTm93YWRheXMgSSBmbHkgYSBm ZXcgY29udGVzdHMgZXZlcnkgeWVhciwgYnV0IHByaW1hcmlseSBJIGZseSB3ZXN0ZXJuIG1v dW50YWluIGV4cGVkaXRpb25zLCBvdXQgb2YgcmVtb3RlIGFpcmZpZWxkcyB3aXRoIG15IHNl bGYtbGF1bmNoZXIsIHRoZSBjYWxsIG9mIHRoZSBtb3VudGFpbnMgaXMgdmVyeSBzdHJvbmcg Zm9yIG1lIHRoZXNlIGRheXMuDQo+IA0KPiBUaGFua3MgZm9yIHRoaXMgb3Bwb3J0dW5pdHkg dG8gc2hhcmUgaG93IEkgZ290IGludG8gc29hcmluZy4NCj4gDQo+IENoZWVycywNCj4gSmlt IEo2DQo+IA0KPiBPbiBTdW5kYXksIEZlYnJ1YXJ5IDUsIDIwMjMgYXQgNzoyNzo0NiBBTSBV VEMtNiwgR2xpZGVyIFBpbG90IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gRXZlciB3b25kZXJlZCB3aGF0IG1ha2Vz IGEgc29hcmluZyBwaWxvdD8NCj4+DQo+PiBGb3IgbWUgaXQgc3RhcnRlZCB3aGVuIEkgd2Fz IGtpZCBhcm91bmQgMTEteWVhcnMgb2xkIGJ1aWxkaW5nIGJhbHNhIHdvb2QgUkMgZ2xpZGVy cy4gSSB3YXMgdGhpbmtpbmcgaXQgd291bGQgYmUgY29vbCB0byByZXR1cm4gdG8gbXkgcm9v dHMgYW5kIGJ1aWxkIGEgcmV0cm8ga2l0IHRvZGF5IG1vcmUgdGhhbiBmb3VyIGRlY2FkZXMg bGF0ZXIuIEhlIGlzIG15IHNob3J0IHZpZGVvOg0KPj4NCj4+IGh0dHBzOi8veW91dHUuYmUv MHJDTjNqR1F2eU0NCj4+DQo+PiBPc2Nhcg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to David Martin on Tue Feb 7 14:26:22 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 4:57:29 PM UTC-5, David Martin wrote:
    In 1970, as a newly minted and married 2nd Lt USAF civil engineering, I was sent to the eastern front, RAF Upper Heyford. Our off base housing was in Stratton Audley which just happened to be right next to the RAF gliding center of Bicester. As I
    walked out the first morning after arriving, I saw ships being winched into the air and thought "That looks interesting!!" As a member of a NATO force I could join the RAF gliding center where flight costs were literally pennies. 60 or so flights in the
    T-21 off the winch with each one being 3, 4 or maybe 5 minutes I got to go solo. Once solo you could upgrade to aero tow and got to fly many different ships, OLY 2b, Oly 419, Gruno Baby, Slingsby Dart and finally the Libelle. Left the UK with 300 hrs a
    silver badge and have been at it ever since. Still married to the same wonderful wife who puts up with my addiction.

David Martin
    BV

David…you were lucky in many ways….1st being you were small enough to fit into all the classics. I always wanted to fly the Salto after seeing one on the cover of Soaring. Just a bit too big to fit.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Feb 7 15:17:36 2023
    Story of my first landout, since you asked.....

So, it was June 1979, I was flying out of Ephrata, Washington, in the Boeing Employee's Soaring Club (BESC) ratty old 1-26, "Thunder Chicken". I was attempting a 300k FAI Triangle (Ephrata/Waterville/Davenport/return), it would've been the first 300k
    ever done in that 1-26. It was mid-week, with a good soaring forecast, and we took off work and school. My friend and fellow Boeing engineer/club member/partner in my SHK Steve Greene and my then-girlfriend/club member/UofW student and enthusiastic
    glider pilot Karen Bethel were my crew. I took off first, and got out on course early, as you must if flying distance in a 1-26! Steve in the SHK and Karen solo in a club Blanik took off a little later, flying local and monitoring the radio while I
    flew the task.

It was a great soaring day! Cloudbase 10,000 ft and not much wind. Strong lift, cloud streets lining up nicely with the courselines. Despite my inexperience and the 1-26 glide performance, I was making good time. Bagged the first turnpoint Waterville
    on schedule, but then things got a bit rowdier. Well along the second leg, I was still on schedule to make the task, but then breakfast was revisited. Several times. ALL of breakfast! TRIED to find more breakfast, but it was all gone! You get the
    picture....

10,000 ft under a great cloud, with clouds lined up nicely towards Davenport, about the middle of a great soaring day, hours of good lift remaining. And I pulled the spoilers, grrrrrrr. If you know Eastern Washington, there are great fields everywhere,
    just pick one near a road and where the crop is fallow and the furrows line up with the wind, a great area for first landout.

A slight hitch appeared, but I had been well trained for this eventuality: I turned final and then could see that the field sloped off a bit to one side. No problem, just S turn a little and land in a banked turn with the wings parallel to the slope.
    That I did, and it was a good landing. I was proud. Of course, after 5 minutes on the ground, the nausea was gone and I felt great!

I knew the road number that I landed near (not very many roads in Eastern Washington!), and I knew about how many miles I was along that road out of Waterville. I will just radio my crew, tell them where I am, and they'll come get me.... I'll be back
    at Ephrata, in the shade and drinking a beer soon!

So I called Karen on the radio, told her I landed out and where I was. Come get me, honey!

A very assertive radio transmission followed: "Thunder Chicken, I am over the hills at 9000 ft climbing in 6 knots, I will come get you WHEN I AM DONE FLYING."

Yep, understood, with crystal clarity! Steve in the SHK was wisely silent. Hahahahaha

They left me baking in the Eastern Washington sun and looking at those beautiful clouds for quite a while.

At the end-of-season banquet that year, we all recounted our landout stories, and I got a lot of laughs, but Karen got a standing ovation! We who landed out each got a "Knights of the Open Field" award, proudly received. Landouts build character and
    skills!

I love landout stories, I have a lot of them, and some of them are even TRUE.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 4:04:42 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Great story, Jim! Tell us about that land out in the 1-26.

Dan
    5J
    On 2/7/23 13:17, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:
    Very cool video, Oscar! Here's my story:

So, it was 1966, a hot lazy summer day north of Canton, Ohio, and my 11-year-old self was laying in the grass on big hill in the cow pasture behind our house. Daydreaming and admiring the puffy clouds, you know. Suddenly I noticed a red and white
    long-winged aircraft, circling overhead. Interesting, no engine, a glider! Then it got smaller and smaller, obviously gaining altitude.... Mind blown. How could this be? That evening, I excitedly told my dad about this (he soloed a Cub in the 30's, never
    got his license though). He explained updrafts to me. Wow. He called a few friends, and found out that there was a glider club operating at nearby Martin Field, must be from there.

The next day I got permission to ride my bike to Martin Field, 3 miles or so, furthest from home I'd ever ridden at that time. Yep, gliders were flying there. The club was "Freedom's Soaring Thunderbirds", now called "Soaring Thunderbirds" and
    currently operating out of Wadsworth Airport, west of Akron. The red and white glider was a K-8. I stayed all day watching, so long that I got in trouble because I got home so late.

The next weekend my dad took me over there, and they put me in the front seat of a Blanik (along with a load of lead) and I took a ride. Mind blown again.....

I immediately shifted my interest from slot cars to model airplanes, specifically RC gliders. Built a bunch of 'em. I read every single book on aviation that I could find in the Canton Public Library. I remember one in particular was about gliding
    activity between WW I and WW II, complete with pictures, wish I could remember the name of the book. I would occasionally see a glider in the air, and would ride my bike over to Martin Field to watch them flying.

One weekend a year or so after my first sighting there was a WHOLE BUNCH of gliders flying - a contest! Amazing variety of gliders, but I was attracted to one in particular, it had a V tail and a beautiful streamlined nose, an SHK or SH-1. I remember
    asking the pilot how it could be controlled with such a strange tail, and he showed and explained to me the mixing function, I was amazed. I am sure that his patient time with me was a seed of my fascination with the stability and control of aircraft,
    which led to my wonderful 35 year career as an aeronautical engineer.

Haha, 12 or so years after meeting this guy, my first sailplane was - an SHK!

Anyway, the club moved to a different airport before I was old enough to start training, sigh. But I flew my RC gliders, never got that good at it but had lots of fun, even did some thermal soaring occasionally! And we vacationed on the Outer Banks
    of NC, and I slope soared my RC gliders on Jockey's Ridge there. There I saw hang gliders (1972 or so, don't fly higher than you are willing to fall!) and caught the bug. I ordered a kit from Sky Sports, a LARK (Low Aspect Ratio Kite), a standard Rogallo
    wing, and taught myself to fly it.

As a freshman at Purdue University's School of Aeronautical Engineering, I found out that a club called the Lafayette Soaring Society was operating east of the campus, I checked it out, they trained in a 2-22, and I joined up. Only took a few flights
    though before I realized that schoolwork and girls (or, at least the efforts trying to meet them...) would not allow me the time (nor did I have the money) to learn to fly sailplanes just then. My instructor for those few flights was an Aerodynamics Grad
    Student named Dan Somers, many of you know him now.

I reverted back to hang gliding through my college years. Numerous weekend trips to Indian Dunes, Michigan, when I could take time off from schoolwork. Some good flying, maybe more so some good partying on the beach, haha.

When I graduated in 1977, I got a job at Boeing in Seattle, and finally had the money to learn to fly sailplanes. Joined the Boeing Employee's Soaring Club, and got some GREAT training. British style operation, the core of club was a group of British
    ex-pat aero engineers/glider pilots who came over in the '60's when the British aeronautic industry had some major cutbacks and Boeing was full bore designing the 727 and 737 etc. Passed my check ride 7 months after starting. Gained notoriety in the club
    a year later by attempting a 300k FAI triangle in the club's ratty old 1-26 "Thunder Chicken". This flight ended in my first landout, in a fallow wheat field halfway along the second leg, because of - extreme airsickness! I was high and on schedule, the
    clouds ahead looked great, but I just couldn't handle the dry heaves anymore.... I'll save this landout story for another time, or you can ask me about it, it's a good one! I defeated airsickness finally a few years later, I really had to force myself
    sometimes to stick with it....

Gave up the hang gliding around 1981, to concentrate on sailplane flying. To this day, I miss the hang gliding, wish I had had the time and energy to do both.

Over the 46 years since I started, I have had to take a few long breaks from the sport, for career reasons, but I always came back. So I'm only around 2000 hours, but they have all been interesting.... I got all my Diamonds south of the Mason-Dixon
    and east of the Mississippi. My 500k was an FAI triangle out of Peach State Gliderport, there were a half dozen of us flying it that day (separately, not together as a gaggle), the first time any 500k triangles were ever flown in Georgia I believe. Wave
    flight over Mount Mitchell NC for my Diamond climb, took 4 years of trying for me to get that one.... At least 2 dozen off-airport landings (one was in my Mustang II homebuilt airplane, sure glad I had the glider experience, which made this one a whole
    lot less stressful). I realized that my wife was the one for me when she arrived to retrieve me out of a cow pasture - with a big smile on her face, viewing it all as a great adventure! My first contest, Cordele in 1983, I landed out every single day,
    haha (I wasn't the only one!). A fair amount of towing in our club's Pawnee, starting to pay back for the many tows that I have gratefully received. Nowadays I fly a few contests every year, but primarily I fly western mountain expeditions, out of remote
    airfields with my self-launcher, the call of the mountains is very strong for me these days.

Thanks for this opportunity to share how I got into soaring.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 7:27:46 AM UTC-6, Glider Pilot wrote:

Oscar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 18:40:03 2023
    R3JlYXQhDQoNCk15IGZpcnN0IGxhbmQgb3V0IGluIG15IE1vc3F1aXRvIGxvb2tlZCBsaWtl IGEgZ3JlYXQgZ3JlZW4gZmllbGQgdW50aWwgDQpzaG9ydCBmaW5hbC4uLiAgVGhhdCBncmVl bmVyeSB3YXMgZ3JhcGUgdmluZXMhICBGb3J0dW5hdGVseSwgdGhlIG5leHQgDQpmaWVsZCB0 byB0aGUgcmlnaHQgd2FzIHBsb3dlZCBhbmQgSSBzaWRlIHN0ZXBwZWQgYW5kIGxhbmRlZCBh Y3Jvc3MgdGhlIA0KZnVycm93cy4gIEl0IHdhcyBhIGJpdCBidW1weSBidXQgdXAgaGlsbCBh bmQgYSBzaG9ydCByb2xsIG91dC4gIFRoZSANCmZhcm1lciBwdWxsZWQgbWUgb3V0IHdpdGgg aGlzIHRyYWN0b3IuDQoNCkRhbg0KNUoNCg0KT24gMi83LzIzIDE2OjE3LCBKNiBha2EgQWly cG9ydCBCdW0gd3JvdGU6DQo+IFN0b3J5IG9mIG15IGZpcnN0IGxhbmRvdXQsIHNpbmNlIHlv dSBhc2tlZC4uLi4uDQo+IA0KPiBTbywgaXQgd2FzIEp1bmUgMTk3OSwgSSB3YXMgZmx5aW5n IG91dCBvZiBFcGhyYXRhLCBXYXNoaW5ndG9uLCBpbiB0aGUgQm9laW5nIEVtcGxveWVlJ3Mg U29hcmluZyBDbHViIChCRVNDKSByYXR0eSBvbGQgMS0yNiwgIlRodW5kZXIgQ2hpY2tlbiIu ICBJIHdhcyBhdHRlbXB0aW5nIGEgMzAwayBGQUkgVHJpYW5nbGUgKEVwaHJhdGEvV2F0ZXJ2 aWxsZS9EYXZlbnBvcnQvcmV0dXJuKSwgaXQgd291bGQndmUgYmVlbiB0aGUgZmlyc3QgMzAw ayBldmVyIGRvbmUgaW4gdGhhdCAxLTI2LiAgSXQgd2FzIG1pZC13ZWVrLCB3aXRoIGEgZ29v ZCBzb2FyaW5nIGZvcmVjYXN0LCBhbmQgd2UgdG9vayBvZmYgd29yayBhbmQgc2Nob29sLiAg TXkgZnJpZW5kIGFuZCBmZWxsb3cgQm9laW5nIGVuZ2luZWVyL2NsdWIgbWVtYmVyL3BhcnRu ZXIgaW4gbXkgU0hLIFN0ZXZlIEdyZWVuZSBhbmQgbXkgdGhlbi1naXJsZnJpZW5kL2NsdWIg bWVtYmVyL1VvZlcgc3R1ZGVudCBhbmQgZW50aHVzaWFzdGljIGdsaWRlciBwaWxvdCBLYXJl biBCZXRoZWwgd2VyZSBteSBjcmV3LiAgSSB0b29rIG9mZiBmaXJzdCwgYW5kIGdvdCBvdXQg b24gY291cnNlIGVhcmx5LCBhcyB5b3UgbXVzdCBpZiBmbHlpbmcgZGlzdGFuY2UgaW4gYSAx LTI2ISAgU3RldmUgaW4gdGhlIFNISyBhbmQgS2FyZW4gc29sbyBpbiBhIGNsdWIgQmxhbmlr IHRvb2sgb2ZmIGEgbGl0dGxlIGxhdGVyLCBmbHlpbmcgbG9jYWwgYW5kIG1vbml0b3Jpbmcg dGhlIHJhZGlvIHdoaWxlIEkgZmxldyB0aGUgdGFzay4NCj4gDQo+IEl0IHdhcyBhIGdyZWF0 IHNvYXJpbmcgZGF5ISAgQ2xvdWRiYXNlIDEwLDAwMCBmdCBhbmQgbm90IG11Y2ggd2luZC4g IFN0cm9uZyBsaWZ0LCBjbG91ZCBzdHJlZXRzIGxpbmluZyB1cCBuaWNlbHkgd2l0aCB0aGUg Y291cnNlbGluZXMuICBEZXNwaXRlIG15IGluZXhwZXJpZW5jZSBhbmQgdGhlIDEtMjYgZ2xp ZGUgcGVyZm9ybWFuY2UsIEkgd2FzIG1ha2luZyBnb29kIHRpbWUuICBCYWdnZWQgdGhlIGZp cnN0IHR1cm5wb2ludCBXYXRlcnZpbGxlIG9uIHNjaGVkdWxlLCBidXQgdGhlbiB0aGluZ3Mg Z290IGEgYml0IHJvd2RpZXIuICBXZWxsIGFsb25nIHRoZSBzZWNvbmQgbGVnLCBJIHdhcyBz dGlsbCBvbiBzY2hlZHVsZSB0byBtYWtlIHRoZSB0YXNrLCBidXQgdGhlbiBicmVha2Zhc3Qg d2FzIHJldmlzaXRlZC4gIFNldmVyYWwgdGltZXMuICBBTEwgb2YgYnJlYWtmYXN0ISAgVFJJ RUQgdG8gZmluZCBtb3JlIGJyZWFrZmFzdCwgYnV0IGl0IHdhcyBhbGwgZ29uZSEgIFlvdSBn ZXQgdGhlIHBpY3R1cmUuLi4uDQo+IA0KPiAxMCwwMDAgZnQgdW5kZXIgYSBncmVhdCBjbG91 ZCwgd2l0aCBjbG91ZHMgbGluZWQgdXAgbmljZWx5IHRvd2FyZHMgRGF2ZW5wb3J0LCBhYm91 dCB0aGUgbWlkZGxlIG9mIGEgZ3JlYXQgc29hcmluZyBkYXksIGhvdXJzIG9mIGdvb2QgbGlm dCByZW1haW5pbmcuICBBbmQgSSBwdWxsZWQgdGhlIHNwb2lsZXJzLCBncnJycnJyci4gIElm IHlvdSBrbm93IEVhc3Rlcm4gV2FzaGluZ3RvbiwgdGhlcmUgYXJlIGdyZWF0IGZpZWxkcyBl dmVyeXdoZXJlLCBqdXN0IHBpY2sgb25lIG5lYXIgYSByb2FkIGFuZCB3aGVyZSB0aGUgY3Jv cCBpcyBmYWxsb3cgYW5kIHRoZSBmdXJyb3dzIGxpbmUgdXAgd2l0aCB0aGUgd2luZCwgYSBn cmVhdCBhcmVhIGZvciBmaXJzdCBsYW5kb3V0Lg0KPiANCj4gQSBzbGlnaHQgaGl0Y2ggYXBw ZWFyZWQsIGJ1dCBJIGhhZCBiZWVuIHdlbGwgdHJhaW5lZCBmb3IgdGhpcyBldmVudHVhbGl0 eTogIEkgdHVybmVkIGZpbmFsIGFuZCB0aGVuIGNvdWxkIHNlZSB0aGF0IHRoZSBmaWVsZCBz bG9wZWQgb2ZmIGEgYml0IHRvIG9uZSBzaWRlLiAgTm8gcHJvYmxlbSwganVzdCBTIHR1cm4g YSBsaXR0bGUgYW5kIGxhbmQgaW4gYSBiYW5rZWQgdHVybiB3aXRoIHRoZSB3aW5ncyBwYXJh bGxlbCB0byB0aGUgc2xvcGUuICBUaGF0IEkgZGlkLCBhbmQgaXQgd2FzIGEgZ29vZCBsYW5k aW5nLiAgSSB3YXMgcHJvdWQuICBPZiBjb3Vyc2UsIGFmdGVyIDUgbWludXRlcyBvbiB0aGUg Z3JvdW5kLCB0aGUgbmF1c2VhIHdhcyBnb25lIGFuZCBJIGZlbHQgZ3JlYXQhDQo+IA0KPiBJ IGtuZXcgdGhlIHJvYWQgbnVtYmVyIHRoYXQgSSBsYW5kZWQgbmVhciAobm90IHZlcnkgbWFu eSByb2FkcyBpbiBFYXN0ZXJuIFdhc2hpbmd0b24hKSwgYW5kIEkga25ldyBhYm91dCBob3cg bWFueSBtaWxlcyBJIHdhcyBhbG9uZyB0aGF0IHJvYWQgb3V0IG9mIFdhdGVydmlsbGUuICBJ IHdpbGwganVzdCByYWRpbyBteSBjcmV3LCB0ZWxsIHRoZW0gd2hlcmUgSSBhbSwgYW5kIHRo ZXknbGwgY29tZSBnZXQgbWUuLi4uICBJJ2xsIGJlIGJhY2sgYXQgRXBocmF0YSwgaW4gdGhl IHNoYWRlIGFuZCBkcmlua2luZyBhIGJlZXIgc29vbiENCj4gDQo+IFNvIEkgY2FsbGVkIEth cmVuIG9uIHRoZSByYWRpbywgdG9sZCBoZXIgSSBsYW5kZWQgb3V0IGFuZCB3aGVyZSBJIHdh cy4gIENvbWUgZ2V0IG1lLCBob25leSENCj4gDQo+IEEgdmVyeSBhc3NlcnRpdmUgcmFkaW8g dHJhbnNtaXNzaW9uIGZvbGxvd2VkOiAgIlRodW5kZXIgQ2hpY2tlbiwgSSBhbSBvdmVyIHRo ZSBoaWxscyBhdCA5MDAwIGZ0IGNsaW1iaW5nIGluIDYga25vdHMsIEkgd2lsbCBjb21lIGdl dCB5b3UgV0hFTiBJIEFNIERPTkUgRkxZSU5HLiINCj4gDQo+IFllcCwgdW5kZXJzdG9vZCwg d2l0aCBjcnlzdGFsIGNsYXJpdHkhICBTdGV2ZSBpbiB0aGUgU0hLIHdhcyB3aXNlbHkgc2ls ZW50LiAgSGFoYWhhaGFoYQ0KPiANCj4gVGhleSBsZWZ0IG1lIGJha2luZyBpbiB0aGUgRWFz dGVybiBXYXNoaW5ndG9uIHN1biBhbmQgbG9va2luZyBhdCB0aG9zZSBiZWF1dGlmdWwgY2xv dWRzIGZvciBxdWl0ZSBhIHdoaWxlLg0KPiANCj4gQXQgdGhlIGVuZC1vZi1zZWFzb24gYmFu cXVldCB0aGF0IHllYXIsIHdlIGFsbCByZWNvdW50ZWQgb3VyIGxhbmRvdXQgc3Rvcmllcywg YW5kIEkgZ290IGEgbG90IG9mIGxhdWdocywgYnV0IEthcmVuIGdvdCBhIHN0YW5kaW5nIG92 YXRpb24hICBXZSB3aG8gbGFuZGVkIG91dCBlYWNoIGdvdCBhICJLbmlnaHRzIG9mIHRoZSBP cGVuIEZpZWxkIiBhd2FyZCwgcHJvdWRseSByZWNlaXZlZC4gIExhbmRvdXRzIGJ1aWxkIGNo YXJhY3RlciBhbmQgc2tpbGxzIQ0KPiANCj4gSSBsb3ZlIGxhbmRvdXQgc3RvcmllcywgSSBo YXZlIGEgbG90IG9mIHRoZW0sIGFuZCBzb21lIG9mIHRoZW0gYXJlIGV2ZW4gVFJVRS4NCj4g DQo+IENoZWVycywNCj4gSmltIEo2DQo+IA0KPiBPbiBUdWVzZGF5LCBGZWJydWFyeSA3LCAy MDIzIGF0IDQ6MDQ6NDIgUE0gVVRDLTYsIERhbiBNYXJvdHRhIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gR3JlYXQg c3RvcnksIEppbSEgVGVsbCB1cyBhYm91dCB0aGF0IGxhbmQgb3V0IGluIHRoZSAxLTI2Lg0K Pj4NCj4+IERhbg0KPj4gNUoNCj4+IE9uIDIvNy8yMyAxMzoxNywgSjYgYWthIEFpcnBvcnQg QnVtIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IFZlcnkgY29vbCB2aWRlbywgT3NjYXIhIEhlcmUncyBteSBzdG9y eToNCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFNvLCBpdCB3YXMgMTk2NiwgYSBob3QgbGF6eSBzdW1tZXIgZGF5IG5v cnRoIG9mIENhbnRvbiwgT2hpbywgYW5kIG15IDExLXllYXItb2xkIHNlbGYgd2FzIGxheWlu ZyBpbiB0aGUgZ3Jhc3Mgb24gYmlnIGhpbGwgaW4gdGhlIGNvdyBwYXN0dXJlIGJlaGluZCBv dXIgaG91c2UuIERheWRyZWFtaW5nIGFuZCBhZG1pcmluZyB0aGUgcHVmZnkgY2xvdWRzLCB5 b3Uga25vdy4gU3VkZGVubHkgSSBub3RpY2VkIGEgcmVkIGFuZCB3aGl0ZSBsb25nLXdpbmdl ZCBhaXJjcmFmdCwgY2lyY2xpbmcgb3ZlcmhlYWQuIEludGVyZXN0aW5nLCBubyBlbmdpbmUs IGEgZ2xpZGVyISBUaGVuIGl0IGdvdCBzbWFsbGVyIGFuZCBzbWFsbGVyLCBvYnZpb3VzbHkg Z2FpbmluZyBhbHRpdHVkZS4uLi4gTWluZCBibG93bi4gSG93IGNvdWxkIHRoaXMgYmU/IFRo YXQgZXZlbmluZywgSSBleGNpdGVkbHkgdG9sZCBteSBkYWQgYWJvdXQgdGhpcyAoaGUgc29s b2VkIGEgQ3ViIGluIHRoZSAzMCdzLCBuZXZlciBnb3QgaGlzIGxpY2Vuc2UgdGhvdWdoKS4g SGUgZXhwbGFpbmVkIHVwZHJhZnRzIHRvIG1lLiBXb3cuIEhlIGNhbGxlZCBhIGZldyBmcmll bmRzLCBhbmQgZm91bmQgb3V0IHRoYXQgdGhlcmUgd2FzIGEgZ2xpZGVyIGNsdWIgb3BlcmF0 aW5nIGF0IG5lYXJieSBNYXJ0aW4gRmllbGQsIG11c3QgYmUgZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4NCj4+Pg0K Pj4+IFRoZSBuZXh0IGRheSBJIGdvdCBwZXJtaXNzaW9uIHRvIHJpZGUgbXkgYmlrZSB0byBN YXJ0aW4gRmllbGQsIDMgbWlsZXMgb3Igc28sIGZ1cnRoZXN0IGZyb20gaG9tZSBJJ2QgZXZl ciByaWRkZW4gYXQgdGhhdCB0aW1lLiBZZXAsIGdsaWRlcnMgd2VyZSBmbHlpbmcgdGhlcmUu IFRoZSBjbHViIHdhcyAiRnJlZWRvbSdzIFNvYXJpbmcgVGh1bmRlcmJpcmRzIiwgbm93IGNh bGxlZCAiU29hcmluZyBUaHVuZGVyYmlyZHMiIGFuZCBjdXJyZW50bHkgb3BlcmF0aW5nIG91 dCBvZiBXYWRzd29ydGggQWlycG9ydCwgd2VzdCBvZiBBa3Jvbi4gVGhlIHJlZCBhbmQgd2hp dGUgZ2xpZGVyIHdhcyBhIEstOC4gSSBzdGF5ZWQgYWxsIGRheSB3YXRjaGluZywgc28gbG9u ZyB0aGF0IEkgZ290IGluIHRyb3VibGUgYmVjYXVzZSBJIGdvdCBob21lIHNvIGxhdGUuDQo+ Pj4NCj4+PiBUaGUgbmV4dCB3ZWVrZW5kIG15IGRhZCB0b29rIG1lIG92ZXIgdGhlcmUsIGFu ZCB0aGV5IHB1dCBtZSBpbiB0aGUgZnJvbnQgc2VhdCBvZiBhIEJsYW5payAoYWxvbmcgd2l0 aCBhIGxvYWQgb2YgbGVhZCkgYW5kIEkgdG9vayBhIHJpZGUuIE1pbmQgYmxvd24gYWdhaW4u Li4uLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gSSBpbW1lZGlhdGVseSBzaGlmdGVkIG15IGludGVyZXN0IGZyb20g c2xvdCBjYXJzIHRvIG1vZGVsIGFpcnBsYW5lcywgc3BlY2lmaWNhbGx5IFJDIGdsaWRlcnMu IEJ1aWx0IGEgYnVuY2ggb2YgJ2VtLiBJIHJlYWQgZXZlcnkgc2luZ2xlIGJvb2sgb24gYXZp YXRpb24gdGhhdCBJIGNvdWxkIGZpbmQgaW4gdGhlIENhbnRvbiBQdWJsaWMgTGlicmFyeS4g SSByZW1lbWJlciBvbmUgaW4gcGFydGljdWxhciB3YXMgYWJvdXQgZ2xpZGluZyBhY3Rpdml0 eSBiZXR3ZWVuIFdXIEkgYW5kIFdXIElJLCBjb21wbGV0ZSB3aXRoIHBpY3R1cmVzLCB3aXNo IEkgY291bGQgcmVtZW1iZXIgdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGJvb2suIEkgd291bGQgb2NjYXNp b25hbGx5IHNlZSBhIGdsaWRlciBpbiB0aGUgYWlyLCBhbmQgd291bGQgcmlkZSBteSBiaWtl IG92ZXIgdG8gTWFydGluIEZpZWxkIHRvIHdhdGNoIHRoZW0gZmx5aW5nLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4g T25lIHdlZWtlbmQgYSB5ZWFyIG9yIHNvIGFmdGVyIG15IGZpcnN0IHNpZ2h0aW5nIHRoZXJl IHdhcyBhIFdIT0xFIEJVTkNIIG9mIGdsaWRlcnMgZmx5aW5nIC0gYSBjb250ZXN0ISBBbWF6 aW5nIHZhcmlldHkgb2YgZ2xpZGVycywgYnV0IEkgd2FzIGF0dHJhY3RlZCB0byBvbmUgaW4g cGFydGljdWxhciwgaXQgaGFkIGEgViB0YWlsIGFuZCBhIGJlYXV0aWZ1bCBzdHJlYW1saW5l ZCBub3NlLCBhbiBTSEsgb3IgU0gtMS4gSSByZW1lbWJlciBhc2tpbmcgdGhlIHBpbG90IGhv dyBpdCBjb3VsZCBiZSBjb250cm9sbGVkIHdpdGggc3VjaCBhIHN0cmFuZ2UgdGFpbCwgYW5k IGhlIHNob3dlZCBhbmQgZXhwbGFpbmVkIHRvIG1lIHRoZSBtaXhpbmcgZnVuY3Rpb24sIEkg d2FzIGFtYXplZC4gSSBhbSBzdXJlIHRoYXQgaGlzIHBhdGllbnQgdGltZSB3aXRoIG1lIHdh cyBhIHNlZWQgb2YgbXkgZmFzY2luYXRpb24gd2l0aCB0aGUgc3RhYmlsaXR5IGFuZCBjb250 cm9sIG9mIGFpcmNyYWZ0LCB3aGljaCBsZWQgdG8gbXkgd29uZGVyZnVsIDM1IHllYXIgY2Fy ZWVyIGFzIGFuIGFlcm9uYXV0aWNhbCBlbmdpbmVlci4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IEhhaGEsIDEyIG9y IHNvIHllYXJzIGFmdGVyIG1lZXRpbmcgdGhpcyBndXksIG15IGZpcnN0IHNhaWxwbGFuZSB3 YXMgLSBhbiBTSEshDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBBbnl3YXksIHRoZSBjbHViIG1vdmVkIHRvIGEgZGlm ZmVyZW50IGFpcnBvcnQgYmVmb3JlIEkgd2FzIG9sZCBlbm91Z2ggdG8gc3RhcnQgdHJhaW5p bmcsIHNpZ2guIEJ1dCBJIGZsZXcgbXkgUkMgZ2xpZGVycywgbmV2ZXIgZ290IHRoYXQgZ29v ZCBhdCBpdCBidXQgaGFkIGxvdHMgb2YgZnVuLCBldmVuIGRpZCBzb21lIHRoZXJtYWwgc29h cmluZyBvY2Nhc2lvbmFsbHkhIEFuZCB3ZSB2YWNhdGlvbmVkIG9uIHRoZSBPdXRlciBCYW5r cyBvZiBOQywgYW5kIEkgc2xvcGUgc29hcmVkIG15IFJDIGdsaWRlcnMgb24gSm9ja2V5J3Mg UmlkZ2UgdGhlcmUuIFRoZXJlIEkgc2F3IGhhbmcgZ2xpZGVycyAoMTk3MiBvciBzbywgZG9u J3QgZmx5IGhpZ2hlciB0aGFuIHlvdSBhcmUgd2lsbGluZyB0byBmYWxsISkgYW5kIGNhdWdo dCB0aGUgYnVnLiBJIG9yZGVyZWQgYSBraXQgZnJvbSBTa3kgU3BvcnRzLCBhIExBUksgKExv dyBBc3BlY3QgUmF0aW8gS2l0ZSksIGEgc3RhbmRhcmQgUm9nYWxsbyB3aW5nLCBhbmQgdGF1 Z2h0IG15c2VsZiB0byBmbHkgaXQuDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBBcyBhIGZyZXNobWFuIGF0IFB1cmR1 ZSBVbml2ZXJzaXR5J3MgU2Nob29sIG9mIEFlcm9uYXV0aWNhbCBFbmdpbmVlcmluZywgSSBm b3VuZCBvdXQgdGhhdCBhIGNsdWIgY2FsbGVkIHRoZSBMYWZheWV0dGUgU29hcmluZyBTb2Np ZXR5IHdhcyBvcGVyYXRpbmcgZWFzdCBvZiB0aGUgY2FtcHVzLCBJIGNoZWNrZWQgaXQgb3V0 LCB0aGV5IHRyYWluZWQgaW4gYSAyLTIyLCBhbmQgSSBqb2luZWQgdXAuIE9ubHkgdG9vayBh IGZldyBmbGlnaHRzIHRob3VnaCBiZWZvcmUgSSByZWFsaXplZCB0aGF0IHNjaG9vbHdvcmsg YW5kIGdpcmxzIChvciwgYXQgbGVhc3QgdGhlIGVmZm9ydHMgdHJ5aW5nIHRvIG1lZXQgdGhl bS4uLikgd291bGQgbm90IGFsbG93IG1lIHRoZSB0aW1lIChub3IgZGlkIEkgaGF2ZSB0aGUg bW9uZXkpIHRvIGxlYXJuIHRvIGZseSBzYWlscGxhbmVzIGp1c3QgdGhlbi4gTXkgaW5zdHJ1 Y3RvciBmb3IgdGhvc2UgZmV3IGZsaWdodHMgd2FzIGFuIEFlcm9keW5hbWljcyBHcmFkIFN0 dWRlbnQgbmFtZWQgRGFuIFNvbWVycywgbWFueSBvZiB5b3Uga25vdyBoaW0gbm93Lg0KPj4+ DQo+Pj4gSSByZXZlcnRlZCBiYWNrIHRvIGhhbmcgZ2xpZGluZyB0aHJvdWdoIG15IGNvbGxl Z2UgeWVhcnMuIE51bWVyb3VzIHdlZWtlbmQgdHJpcHMgdG8gSW5kaWFuIER1bmVzLCBNaWNo aWdhbiwgd2hlbiBJIGNvdWxkIHRha2UgdGltZSBvZmYgZnJvbSBzY2hvb2x3b3JrLiBTb21l IGdvb2QgZmx5aW5nLCBtYXliZSBtb3JlIHNvIHNvbWUgZ29vZCBwYXJ0eWluZyBvbiB0aGUg YmVhY2gsIGhhaGEuDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBXaGVuIEkgZ3JhZHVhdGVkIGluIDE5NzcsIEkgZ290 IGEgam9iIGF0IEJvZWluZyBpbiBTZWF0dGxlLCBhbmQgZmluYWxseSBoYWQgdGhlIG1vbmV5 IHRvIGxlYXJuIHRvIGZseSBzYWlscGxhbmVzLiBKb2luZWQgdGhlIEJvZWluZyBFbXBsb3ll ZSdzIFNvYXJpbmcgQ2x1YiwgYW5kIGdvdCBzb21lIEdSRUFUIHRyYWluaW5nLiBCcml0aXNo IHN0eWxlIG9wZXJhdGlvbiwgdGhlIGNvcmUgb2YgY2x1YiB3YXMgYSBncm91cCBvZiBCcml0 aXNoIGV4LXBhdCBhZXJvIGVuZ2luZWVycy9nbGlkZXIgcGlsb3RzIHdobyBjYW1lIG92ZXIg aW4gdGhlICc2MCdzIHdoZW4gdGhlIEJyaXRpc2ggYWVyb25hdXRpYyBpbmR1c3RyeSBoYWQg c29tZSBtYWpvciBjdXRiYWNrcyBhbmQgQm9laW5nIHdhcyBmdWxsIGJvcmUgZGVzaWduaW5n IHRoZSA3MjcgYW5kIDczNyBldGMuIFBhc3NlZCBteSBjaGVjayByaWRlIDcgbW9udGhzIGFm dGVyIHN0YXJ0aW5nLiBHYWluZWQgbm90b3JpZXR5IGluIHRoZSBjbHViIGEgeWVhciBsYXRl ciBieSBhdHRlbXB0aW5nIGEgMzAwayBGQUkgdHJpYW5nbGUgaW4gdGhlIGNsdWIncyByYXR0 eSBvbGQgMS0yNiAiVGh1bmRlciBDaGlja2VuIi4gVGhpcyBmbGlnaHQgZW5kZWQgaW4gbXkg Zmlyc3QgbGFuZG91dCwgaW4gYSBmYWxsb3cgd2hlYXQgZmllbGQgaGFsZndheSBhbG9uZyB0 aGUgc2Vjb25kIGxlZywgYmVjYXVzZSBvZiAtIGV4dHJlbWUgYWlyc2lja25lc3MhIEkgd2Fz IGhpZ2ggYW5kIG9uIHNjaGVkdWxlLCB0aGUgY2xvdWRzIGFoZWFkIGxvb2tlZCBncmVhdCwg YnV0IEkganVzdCBjb3VsZG4ndCBoYW5kbGUgdGhlIGRyeSBoZWF2ZXMgYW55bW9yZS4uLi4g SSdsbCBzYXZlIHRoaXMgbGFuZG91dCBzdG9yeSBmb3IgYW5vdGhlciB0aW1lLCBvciB5b3Ug Y2FuIGFzayBtZSBhYm91dCBpdCwgaXQncyBhIGdvb2Qgb25lISBJIGRlZmVhdGVkIGFpcnNp Y2tuZXNzIGZpbmFsbHkgYSBmZXcgeWVhcnMgbGF0ZXIsIEkgcmVhbGx5IGhhZCB0byBmb3Jj ZSBteXNlbGYgc29tZXRpbWVzIHRvIHN0aWNrIHdpdGggaXQuLi4uDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBHYXZl IHVwIHRoZSBoYW5nIGdsaWRpbmcgYXJvdW5kIDE5ODEsIHRvIGNvbmNlbnRyYXRlIG9uIHNh aWxwbGFuZSBmbHlpbmcuIFRvIHRoaXMgZGF5LCBJIG1pc3MgdGhlIGhhbmcgZ2xpZGluZywg d2lzaCBJIGhhZCBoYWQgdGhlIHRpbWUgYW5kIGVuZXJneSB0byBkbyBib3RoLg0KPj4+DQo+ Pj4gT3ZlciB0aGUgNDYgeWVhcnMgc2luY2UgSSBzdGFydGVkLCBJIGhhdmUgaGFkIHRvIHRh a2UgYSBmZXcgbG9uZyBicmVha3MgZnJvbSB0aGUgc3BvcnQsIGZvciBjYXJlZXIgcmVhc29u cywgYnV0IEkgYWx3YXlzIGNhbWUgYmFjay4gU28gSSdtIG9ubHkgYXJvdW5kIDIwMDAgaG91 cnMsIGJ1dCB0aGV5IGhhdmUgYWxsIGJlZW4gaW50ZXJlc3RpbmcuLi4uIEkgZ290IGFsbCBt eSBEaWFtb25kcyBzb3V0aCBvZiB0aGUgTWFzb24tRGl4b24gYW5kIGVhc3Qgb2YgdGhlIE1p c3Npc3NpcHBpLiBNeSA1MDBrIHdhcyBhbiBGQUkgdHJpYW5nbGUgb3V0IG9mIFBlYWNoIFN0 YXRlIEdsaWRlcnBvcnQsIHRoZXJlIHdlcmUgYSBoYWxmIGRvemVuIG9mIHVzIGZseWluZyBp dCB0aGF0IGRheSAoc2VwYXJhdGVseSwgbm90IHRvZ2V0aGVyIGFzIGEgZ2FnZ2xlKSwgdGhl IGZpcnN0IHRpbWUgYW55IDUwMGsgdHJpYW5nbGVzIHdlcmUgZXZlciBmbG93biBpbiBHZW9y Z2lhIEkgYmVsaWV2ZS4gV2F2ZSBmbGlnaHQgb3ZlciBNb3VudCBNaXRjaGVsbCBOQyBmb3Ig bXkgRGlhbW9uZCBjbGltYiwgdG9vayA0IHllYXJzIG9mIHRyeWluZyBmb3IgbWUgdG8gZ2V0 IHRoYXQgb25lLi4uLiBBdCBsZWFzdCAyIGRvemVuIG9mZi1haXJwb3J0IGxhbmRpbmdzIChv bmUgd2FzIGluIG15IE11c3RhbmcgSUkgaG9tZWJ1aWx0IGFpcnBsYW5lLCBzdXJlIGdsYWQg SSBoYWQgdGhlIGdsaWRlciBleHBlcmllbmNlLCB3aGljaCBtYWRlIHRoaXMgb25lIGEgd2hv bGUgbG90IGxlc3Mgc3RyZXNzZnVsKS4gSSByZWFsaXplZCB0aGF0IG15IHdpZmUgd2FzIHRo ZSBvbmUgZm9yIG1lIHdoZW4gc2hlIGFycml2ZWQgdG8gcmV0cmlldmUgbWUgb3V0IG9mIGEg Y293IHBhc3R1cmUgLSB3aXRoIGEgYmlnIHNtaWxlIG9uIGhlciBmYWNlLCB2aWV3aW5nIGl0 IGFsbCBhcyBhIGdyZWF0IGFkdmVudHVyZSEgTXkgZmlyc3QgY29udGVzdCwgQ29yZGVsZSBp biAxOTgzLCBJIGxhbmRlZCBvdXQgZXZlcnkgc2luZ2xlIGRheSwgaGFoYSAoSSB3YXNuJ3Qg dGhlIG9ubHkgb25lISkuIEEgZmFpciBhbW91bnQgb2YgdG93aW5nIGluIG91ciBjbHViJ3Mg UGF3bmVlLCBzdGFydGluZyB0byBwYXkgYmFjayBmb3IgdGhlIG1hbnkgdG93cyB0aGF0IEkg aGF2ZSBncmF0ZWZ1bGx5IHJlY2VpdmVkLiBOb3dhZGF5cyBJIGZseSBhIGZldyBjb250ZXN0 cyBldmVyeSB5ZWFyLCBidXQgcHJpbWFyaWx5IEkgZmx5IHdlc3Rlcm4gbW91bnRhaW4gZXhw ZWRpdGlvbnMsIG91dCBvZiByZW1vdGUgYWlyZmllbGRzIHdpdGggbXkgc2VsZi1sYXVuY2hl ciwgdGhlIGNhbGwgb2YgdGhlIG1vdW50YWlucyBpcyB2ZXJ5IHN0cm9uZyBmb3IgbWUgdGhl c2UgZGF5cy4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoYW5rcyBmb3IgdGhpcyBvcHBvcnR1bml0eSB0byBzaGFy ZSBob3cgSSBnb3QgaW50byBzb2FyaW5nLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gQ2hlZXJzLA0KPj4+IEppbSBK Ng0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gT24gU3VuZGF5LCBGZWJydWFyeSA1LCAyMDIzIGF0IDc6Mjc6NDYgQU0g VVRDLTYsIEdsaWRlciBQaWxvdCB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4gRXZlciB3b25kZXJlZCB3aGF0IG1h a2VzIGEgc29hcmluZyBwaWxvdD8NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gRm9yIG1lIGl0IHN0YXJ0ZWQgd2hl biBJIHdhcyBraWQgYXJvdW5kIDExLXllYXJzIG9sZCBidWlsZGluZyBiYWxzYSB3b29kIFJD IGdsaWRlcnMuIEkgd2FzIHRoaW5raW5nIGl0IHdvdWxkIGJlIGNvb2wgdG8gcmV0dXJuIHRv IG15IHJvb3RzIGFuZCBidWlsZCBhIHJldHJvIGtpdCB0b2RheSBtb3JlIHRoYW4gZm91ciBk ZWNhZGVzIGxhdGVyLiBIZSBpcyBteSBzaG9ydCB2aWRlbzoNCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gaHR0cHM6 Ly95b3V0dS5iZS8wckNOM2pHUXZ5TQ0KPj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBPc2Nhcg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05