• Aircraft Registrations Extended to 7 Years

From Papa3@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 27 07:50:48 2023
    Spoke to someone at the FAA Aircraft Registry branch about the upcoming renewal for my -29 and learned that all current registrations (with a few asterisks) will be extend to 7 years from 3 years. A small dose of sanity.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-11-17/faa-extending-aircraft-registration-period-seven-years

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 27 12:38:17 2023
    Yaas... I bought out my partner in my Cessna 180 back in September of
    this year and noted yesterday that my new registration has not been
    sent yet. I called the FAA and they said that they're "behind" and
    currently working on August 2022. I wonder if I'll get a 7 year
    registration.

Dan
    5J

On 1/27/23 08:50, Papa3 wrote:
    Spoke to someone at the FAA Aircraft Registry branch about the upcoming renewal for my -29 and learned that all current registrations (with a few asterisks) will be extend to 7 years from 3 years. A small dose of sanity.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-11-17/faa-extending-aircraft-registration-period-seven-years

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Underhill@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri Jan 27 18:07:58 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 1:38:23 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
    registration.

Dan
    5J

Oh, they've made it to August! Only four more months until they get to mine.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri Jan 27 18:02:42 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
    registration.

Dan
    5J

It is no wonder why they did this: the FAA registration branch is SIX MONTHS behind in processing paperwork (ask me how I know)! I recently contacted ALL of my Congressional representatives about this horrendous situation - maybe that had this result.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 27 19:54:09 2023
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 8:02:45 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
    On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
    sent yet. I called the FAA and they said that they're "behind" and currently working on August 2022. I wonder if I'll get a 7 year registration.

Dan
    5J

It is no wonder why they did this: the FAA registration branch is SIX MONTHS behind in processing paperwork (ask me how I know)! I recently contacted ALL of my Congressional representatives about this horrendous situation - maybe that had this result.

Tom

This was done because it was required by the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Bill...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Bick (DY)@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 08:48:00 2023
    I sent in a request for temporary registration extension since I was coming up to 90 days on the temp. This is the email I got back from FAA:

“Effective January 23, 2023 all expiration dates on non-expired certificates will be extended to a total of seven years, (i.e. If cert expires February 28, 2023 they will now be valid until February 28, 2027). The certificates that have an expired
    date of January 31, 2023 or later are still valid for travel within the U.S. and internationally, however, there could be some situations that arise from this with foreign inspectors and CAA’s. The FAA intends to send new registration certificates to
    aircraft owners before the expiration dates on the current certificates.

The rule also eliminates the need for us to issue extensions on pink copy authority. The second copy of the Aircraft Registration Application (the “Pink Copy”) as temporary authority to operate will be valid until the applicant receives the
    aircraft registration certificate, the application is returned for correction by the FAA, or 12 months have elapsed during which the registration is pending on that aircraft. The Registry will no longer be issuing letters of extension.

“Pink copy” authority is grandfathered for all applications. If someone’s pink copy authority already expired, it comes back to life on January 23 – no extensions necessary.”

I printed this out and put with my temp registration.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 11:50:55 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 11:48:03 AM UTC-5, Eric Bick (DY) wrote:
    I sent in a request for temporary registration extension since I was coming up to 90 days on the temp. This is the email I got back from FAA:

“Effective January 23, 2023 all expiration dates on non-expired certificates will be extended to a total of seven years, (i.e. If cert expires February 28, 2023 they will now be valid until February 28, 2027). The certificates that have an expired
    date of January 31, 2023 or later are still valid for travel within the U.S. and internationally, however, there could be some situations that arise from this with foreign inspectors and CAA’s. The FAA intends to send new registration certificates to
    aircraft owners before the expiration dates on the current certificates.

The rule also eliminates the need for us to issue extensions on pink copy authority. The second copy of the Aircraft Registration Application (the “Pink Copy”) as temporary authority to operate will be valid until the applicant receives the
    aircraft registration certificate, the application is returned for correction by the FAA, or 12 months have elapsed during which the registration is pending on that aircraft. The Registry will no longer be issuing letters of extension.

“Pink copy” authority is grandfathered for all applications. If someone’s pink copy authority already expired, it comes back to life on January 23 – no extensions necessary.”

I printed this out and put with my temp registration.

I just checked my glider on FAA.gov, it shows the issue date of 6/18/2019, which is correct, original expiration was 3/20/2025. But now the expiration date is shown as 6/30/2029. Four years beyond the original expiration.

Bill, N2883H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 16:27:52 2023
    They say, "timing is everything." That may be true in how well a joke is told, but it also applies to my life.

The FAA rule extending aircraft registrations to seven years was announced in the original link with an effective date of late November 2022. I re-registered my glider and received the new registration with a postmark of November 28, 2022. Guess what? My
    new certificate has an expiration date of April 30, 2026, so I guess I missed out on the new seven-year period by a couple of days.

I plan on re-using my wing tape to make up for the higher annual cost of the registration.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom BravoMike@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat Jan 28 23:16:17 2023
    On 2023-01-28 18:27, Mark Mocho wrote:
    They say, "timing is everything." That may be true in how well a joke is told, but it also applies to my life.

The FAA rule extending aircraft registrations to seven years was announced in the original link with an effective date of late November 2022. I re-registered my glider and received the new registration with a postmark of November 28, 2022. Guess what?
    My new certificate has an expiration date of April 30, 2026, so I guess I missed out on the new seven-year period by a couple of days.

I plan on re-using my wing tape to make up for the higher annual cost of the registration.

Mark,
    As I can read it on the FAA site, your glider's registration expires
    04/30/2030

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 29 04:18:47 2023
    As I can read it on the FAA site, your glider's registration expires 04/30/2030

Interesting- the certificate says April 30, 2026

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Jan 29 07:33:03 2023
    On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 7:18:49 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
    As I can read it on the FAA site, your glider's registration expires 04/30/2030
    Interesting- the certificate says April 30, 2026
    Mark, they already updated the database and should mail you a new one. They will process "Batch Mailings" to get new certificates to the owners.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 29 18:30:43 2023
    From the FAA per https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/reregistration

=======================================

Effective January 23, 2023, if your registration certificate expires after this date, the registration certificate will automatically be extended an additional 4 years.

A new certificate with the new expiration date will be sent to you.

Aircraft with an expired registration, airworthiness certification is considered ineffective. Without registration, the aircraft is not authorized for flight. Once registration is restored, the airworthiness certificate not having been surrendered,
    revoked or terminated would become effective again provided the aircraft is otherwise compliant with maintenance, inspections, and any other requirements for an effective airworthiness. If you have further questions please contact an airworthiness
    inspector through your nearest Flight Standards District Office.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Fri Feb 3 21:34:19 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 6:27:54 PM UTC-6, Mark Mocho wrote:

The FAA rule extending aircraft registrations to seven years was announced in the original link with an effective date of late November 2022. I re-registered my glider and received the new registration with a postmark of November 28, 2022. Guess what?
    My new certificate has an expiration date of April 30, 2026, so I guess I missed out on the new seven-year period by a couple of days.

Heck, Mark. Ever since this re-registration thing started, I have been having to re-use OTHER PEOPLES wing tape, cause I couldn't afford to buy my own! Almost had to steal some from a competitor's plane at a contest. I figured they wouldn't notice if
    I took the lower surface tape!

Steve Leonard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 4 03:23:17 2023
    Almost had to steal some from a competitor's plane at a contest. I figured they wouldn't notice if I took the lower surface tape!

"You just Keep thinkin' Butch. That's what you're good at."

(Robert Redford to Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05