• Cambridge 302/303 Pairing + Turnpoints DB

From Alex Neigher@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 06:41:44 2023
    Hi all,

It seems like all of the links I can find on this subject have since been relocated, and R.A.S's collective database of information seems outdated (see this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pqr-wM26Wt8), so I'm asking again in
    hopes of some modern guidance:

1) I am looking to find the software required to run on my computer so that I can upload a new turnpoint database into the 302. It seems like I'll have to download something called the "Utility Program". Can someone point me to a working source? What
    hardware will be most compatible to run this tool? Is there a more "modern" way of downloading turnpoints onto this instrument? (I do not have the USB/Serial adapter module)

2) It seems like a simple RJ-11 is all that is required to connect the 303 square display and have it powered by the 302. Any considerations here? I've noticed that some RJ-11 cables have the little ferrite cores on the ends. Are these important? Given
    that the two instruments are mounted side by side, I only need a short length of cable, It seems like most of these cables are quite long. Can I simply crimp a new plug onto the end of a shortened cable?

Any guidance on this subject is much appreciated as I'm looking to run this instrument as a backup final glide calculator.

Cheers,
    Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Alex Neigher on Wed Jan 18 08:47:43 2023
    Bet'cha Steve Leonard has at least 112 copies of the 302 Utility Program...

Dan
    5J

On 1/18/23 07:41, Alex Neigher wrote:
    Hi all,

It seems like all of the links I can find on this subject have since been relocated, and R.A.S's collective database of information seems outdated (see this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pqr-wM26Wt8), so I'm asking again in
    hopes of some modern guidance:

1) I am looking to find the software required to run on my computer so that I can upload a new turnpoint database into the 302. It seems like I'll have to download something called the "Utility Program". Can someone point me to a working source? What
    hardware will be most compatible to run this tool? Is there a more "modern" way of downloading turnpoints onto this instrument? (I do not have the USB/Serial adapter module)

2) It seems like a simple RJ-11 is all that is required to connect the 303 square display and have it powered by the 302. Any considerations here? I've noticed that some RJ-11 cables have the little ferrite cores on the ends. Are these important? Given
    that the two instruments are mounted side by side, I only need a short length of cable, It seems like most of these cables are quite long. Can I simply crimp a new plug onto the end of a shortened cable?

Any guidance on this subject is much appreciated as I'm looking to run this instrument as a backup final glide calculator.

Cheers,
    Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Guy Byars@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 11:15:19 2023
    (I do not have the USB/Serial adapter module)

You will need to get one. The RJ-11 cannot be used for data transfer to the 302.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JC Garrison@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Jan 18 11:16:15 2023
    Alex --

See the information on Paul Remde's Cumulus Soaring Site about old Cambridge software

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/store/manufacturers/cambridge-aero-instruments/cai-downloads

AE
    ----------------
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 10:47:46 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Hi all,

It seems like all of the links I can find on this subject have since been relocated, and R.A.S's collective database of information seems outdated (see this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pqr-wM26Wt8), so I'm asking again
    in hopes of some modern guidance:

2) It seems like a simple RJ-11 is all that is required to connect the 303 square display and have it powered by the 302. Any considerations here? I've noticed that some RJ-11 cables have the little ferrite cores on the ends. Are these important?
    Given that the two instruments are mounted side by side, I only need a short length of cable, It seems like most of these cables are quite long. Can I simply crimp a new plug onto the end of a shortened cable?

Cheers,
    Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Neigher@21:1/5 to JC Garrison on Wed Jan 18 13:21:25 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 11:16:18 AM UTC-8, JC Garrison wrote:
    Alex --

See the information on Paul Remde's Cumulus Soaring Site about old Cambridge software

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/store/manufacturers/cambridge-aero-instruments/cai-downloads

AE
    ----------------

Dan
    5J
    Hi all,

It seems like all of the links I can find on this subject have since been relocated, and R.A.S's collective database of information seems outdated (see this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pqr-wM26Wt8), so I'm asking
    again in hopes of some modern guidance:

1) I am looking to find the software required to run on my computer so that I can upload a new turnpoint database into the 302. It seems like I'll have to download something called the "Utility Program". Can someone point me to a working source?
    What hardware will be most compatible to run this tool? Is there a more "modern" way of downloading turnpoints onto this instrument? (I do not have the USB/Serial adapter module)

2) It seems like a simple RJ-11 is all that is required to connect the 303 square display and have it powered by the 302. Any considerations here? I've noticed that some RJ-11 cables have the little ferrite cores on the ends. Are these important?
    Given that the two instruments are mounted side by side, I only need a short length of cable, It seems like most of these cables are quite long. Can I simply crimp a new plug onto the end of a shortened cable?

Cheers,
    Alex
    Ah yes, this is the list I was searching for :) Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Soar MGSA@21:1/5 to Soar MGSA on Wed Jan 18 14:26:41 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 5:23:08 PM UTC-5, Soar MGSA wrote:
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:21:27 PM UTC-5, Alex Neigher wrote:
    Alex --

AE
    ----------------

Dan
    5J
    Hi all,

It seems like all of the links I can find on this subject have since been relocated, and R.A.S's collective database of information seems outdated (see this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pqr-wM26Wt8), so I'm asking

1) I am looking to find the software required to run on my computer so that I can upload a new turnpoint database into the 302. It seems like I'll have to download something called the "Utility Program". Can someone point me to a working source?
    What hardware will be most compatible to run this tool? Is there a more "modern" way of downloading turnpoints onto this instrument? (I do not have the USB/Serial adapter module)

2) It seems like a simple RJ-11 is all that is required to connect the 303 square display and have it powered by the 302. Any considerations here? I've noticed that some RJ-11 cables have the little ferrite cores on the ends. Are these
    important? Given that the two instruments are mounted side by side, I only need a short length of cable, It seems like most of these cables are quite long. Can I simply crimp a new plug onto the end of a shortened cable?

Cheers,
    Alex
    As noted above, the 303 does not load tasks or databases and does not download flights. It does do the Nav functions with the 302.
    SeeYou on your PC will upload and download nicely to the 302. The Utility program is for initial setup --- Name, Polar etc.
    You'll need a USB to Serial converter. Not all of them are good! Tripp-Lite Keyspan has a good reputation and mine has been fine.

And one other point---The cable to connect the 302 and the 303 is special. The ferrites are important and if you shorten it, Keep the orientation the same.
    Check the manual to be sure.

Hartley Falbaum
    DG808C "KF"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Soar MGSA@21:1/5 to Alex Neigher on Wed Jan 18 14:23:04 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 4:21:27 PM UTC-5, Alex Neigher wrote:
    Alex --

AE
    ----------------

Dan
    5J
    Hi all,

Cheers,
    Alex

As noted above, the 303 does not load tasks or databases and does not download flights. It does do the Nav functions with the 302.
    SeeYou on your PC will upload and download nicely to the 302. The Utility program is for initial setup --- Name, Polar etc.
    You'll need a USB to Serial converter. Not all of them are good! Tripp-Lite Keyspan has a good reputation and mine has been fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 17:26:07 2023
    Alex
    Another way to put waypoints in a CAI 302 is by using a Oudie.
    A couple of tips using the Oudie to do this:

The Baud rate on the Oudie needs to be set to 4800, This is what the 302 uses. The Waypoints need to be in a .dat file format
    The Seeyou Mobile in the Oudie uses. cup format.

You download the .dat file you want from the Soaring Server and save it and then Paste it into the Oudie.
    Start the Oudie and it will self start, let it start SeeYou Mobile.
    Then Close SeeYou Mobile and open Connect and select transfer waypoints
    You will need a cable to connect the Oudie to the 302.
    I have had a tough time using a laptop to transfer waypoints to a 302 but I'm a computor novice level operator, I could do it with a Ipaq via the 302 Utility software but not a laptop.

Another tip with the 302: Make Sure the same Static the ASI uses is the one connected to the 302.
    YMMV
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 18 22:09:34 2023
    About #2

I would suggest not shortening the existing cable.

Rather duplicate an identical new, but shorter, cable from scratch.
    That way you have the original cable as an example and a plan B.

You can find the needed materials on Amazon cheap.

Be sure to compare the orientation of the plastic connectors on each end of the cable. Some cables have a half twist, others don't.

And yes the ferrite core is important.

John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to nickkennedy...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 20 04:34:46 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 8:26:09 PM UTC-5, nickkennedy...@gmail.com wrote:

Another tip with the 302: Make Sure the same Static the ASI uses is the one connected to the 302.
    YMMV
    Nick
    T

The 302 manual takes a different view :-).

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05