• Book recommendations

From mdmartin@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 1 15:08:03 2023
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some recommendations of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook. I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of
    those good buys?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 1 17:02:27 2023
    Since your rating was a add on and you mentioned Soaring and not how to turn an airplane…
    Helmet Reichmann Cross Country Soaring (Amazon $44) is the top banana. Even if you don’t fly Cross Country,
    you still have to soar around the airport locating lift.
    Read thru it once avoiding the math parts then go back, read, and pick two things to work on. Then add more as you progress. From intermediate to advance soaring, I found no book better.
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rakel@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 1 16:30:14 2023
    Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Sun Jan 1 20:24:18 2023
    On 1/1/2023 6:08 PM, mdmartin wrote:
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some
    recommendations of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook.
    I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of those good buys?

Recently revised edition: https://understandingthesky.com/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to d...@nadler.com on Mon Jan 2 07:57:16 2023
    On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 7:24:19 PM UTC-6, d...@nadler.com wrote:
    On 1/1/2023 6:08 PM, mdmartin wrote:
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some recommendations of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook.
    I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of those good buys?
    Recently revised edition: https://understandingthesky.com/

I found the G. Dale books very informative, although a bit pricey. I also liked Advanced Soaring Made Easy" by Bernard Eckey.

Rich L.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Mon Jan 2 09:08:32 2023
    On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 6:08:05 PM UTC-5, mdmartin wrote:
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some recommendations of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook. I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of
    those good buys?

Anything by Gren Siebels.

Avoid Reichmann.

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 2 09:29:08 2023
    If you have any sort of engineering or scientific background, do not
    skip the math parts. They are wonderfully enlightening!

Dan
    5J

On 1/1/23 18:02, R wrote:
    Since your rating was a add on and you mentioned Soaring and not how to turn an airplane…
    Helmet Reichmann Cross Country Soaring (Amazon $44) is the top banana. Even if you don’t fly Cross Country,
    Read thru it once avoiding the math parts then go back, read, and pick two things to work on. Then add more as you progress. From intermediate to advance soaring, I found no book better.
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 3 04:39:15 2023
    On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 8:02:30 PM UTC-5, R wrote:
    R
    The best of the books, as R states just ignore all the equations and concentrate on the soaring information contained within. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 22:48:23 2023
    On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 5:02:30 PM UTC-8, R wrote:
    R

Besides Reichmann (who is a classic) I highly recommend Winning On The Wind by George Moffat (if you can find it).

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 12:42:16 2023
    On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 22:48:23 -0800 (PST), 2G wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 5:02:30 PM UTC-8, R wrote:
    Since your rating was a add on and you mentioned Soaring and not how to
    turn an airplane…
    Helmet Reichmann Cross Country Soaring (Amazon $44) is the top banana.
    Even if you don’t fly Cross Country,
    Read thru it once avoiding the math parts then go back, read, and pick
    two things to work on. Then add more as you progress. From intermediate
    to advance soaring, I found no book better.
    R

Besides Reichmann (who is a classic) I highly recommend Winning On The
    Wind by George Moffat (if you can find it).

Tom

And there's "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche - not strictly
    about gliding, but I found its insights about control effects useful and
    its advice to "fly the wing" is sound.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Thu Jan 5 05:53:42 2023
    those good buys?

Competing in Gliders by Ricardo and Leo Brigliadori is excellent once you get past some translation stumbles. May be hard to find.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dgtarmichael@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Jan 5 06:57:32 2023
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 7:53:44 AM UTC-6, Hank Nixon wrote:
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some recommendatisons of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook. I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of
    those good buys?
    Competing in Gliders by Ricardo and Leo Brigliadori is excellent once you get past some translation stumbles. May be hard to find.
    UH
    I found my copy of Competing in Gliders from a friend after asking on here. I also wrote to Ricardo and he said he would try to send more stateside and was considering a third addition.
    To the original poster, what are your goals? Some of the recommendations here are a bit beyond new-to-gliding pilots. The books offered by Bob Wander are the best for beginners. They focus on single topics, are easy to follow and are cheap! One of his
    series is written by authors other than Bob, but produced by him. A good place to start is the one about Thermals, and then the Bronze badge for Beginners book. These will help you in your transition from a glider pilot who stays in the pattern to a
    real soaring pilot capable of short cross country flights. Once you have some footing under you as an intermediate soaring pilot you will have more of a feel what your areas of study are. I recommend G. Dale's books highly, as well as Eckey's book next.
    They go into considerable detail that will be lost on newer pilots. Reichman is largely considered the authority on our topic but the book is getting dated in some areas. Because he was the first to write a modern soaring book (1970's?) most new
    authors have to quote him anyway, and all follow his format. Once you have the facts about how soaring is done, Moffett and the Brigliadoris as well as Kawa can help you wade into the mental game as an advanced pilot, but not until you have a few
    seasons under your belt and a contest or two.
    Aside from books, Wings and Wheels has a great news letter with back issues on their website. Read up & sign up! It's free. If you are on Facebook there are many well known clubs and soaring pilots who post frequently and offer advice. I like Adam
    Woolley and Pure Glide. Pure Glide has an EXCELLENT YouTube channel. Go over there and watch his videos this winter! The Soaring Safety Foundation Website has some good info on many topics that require review. If you're feeling really depraved one of
    the best pilots in the country now is an economics professor named John Cochrane who has some highly technical papers on his professional website, Google can help you find them. Warning, maths ahead!
    I applaud you for looking to study up on our subject. Too many don't. Reading and then experimenting inflight is a great way to learn when you don't have a mentor with XC experience.

Doug Tarmichael
    W24

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 5 10:20:10 2023
    On 1/1/2023 8:02 PM, R wrote:
    R

Some years ago I found Reichmann's book online as a PDF, free. So you
    can "try before you buy". Eventually I found a used hardcopy.
    Certainly a classic, albeit somewhat dated now.

Other books mentioned in this thread are good too. I'll add one more:
    the slim and unassuming self-published book by Dale Masters. There is a
    lot of condensed wisdom within. It's available via some web sites, or
    directly from the author.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Thu Jan 5 13:08:27 2023
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 8:20:11 AM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    R

lot of condensed wisdom within. It's available via some web sites, or directly from the author.
    Dated but one of my favorites remains New Soaring PIlot.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Jan 10 08:45:11 2023
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 7:20:11 AM UTC-8, Moshe Braner wrote:
    R

lot of condensed wisdom within. It's available via some web sites, or directly from the author.

You can get it here: https://www.scribd.com/document/461592118/Cross-Country-Soaring-Reichmann-1978#

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 11 05:53:04 2023
    You boys up there in VT stop giving our new member bad advice using words like ‘avoid’ and ‘dated’.
    Quit smoking dope and go boil off 50 gallons of Maple.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 12 06:05:02 2023
    On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 8:53:07 AM UTC-5, R wrote:
    You boys up there in VT stop giving our new member bad advice using words like ‘avoid’ and ‘dated’.
    Quit smoking dope and go boil off 50 gallons of Maple.

R

_Cross Country Soaring_ is a fine reference for many things, but it isn't very helpful for learning "Cross Country Soaring".

Books that might be helpful would be The Soaring Engine vol 1, Understanding the Sky, Winning II, Pilot's Choice. One's emphasis ought to be much more on where to point the nose -- for the best air -- instead of how fast to fly through all the sink you
    should have avoided.

I've never landed out because I chose the wrong MC setting. I've landed out because I chose a crummy path.

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mdmartin@21:1/5 to Dgtarmichael on Thu Jan 12 09:44:40 2023
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-5, Dgtarmichael wrote:
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 7:53:44 AM UTC-6, Hank Nixon wrote:
    I just recently completed my add on, and am looking for some recommendatisons of good books to read over the winter about soaring. Something to help build on what I read in the Glider flying handbook. I have seen the list on the SSA website, any of
    those good buys?
    UH
    I found my copy of Competing in Gliders from a friend after asking on here. I also wrote to Ricardo and he said he would try to send more stateside and was considering a third addition.
    To the original poster, what are your goals? Some of the recommendations here are a bit beyond new-to-gliding pilots. The books offered by Bob Wander are the best for beginners. They focus on single topics, are easy to follow and are cheap! One of his
    series is written by authors other than Bob, but produced by him. A good place to start is the one about Thermals, and then the Bronze badge for Beginners book. These will help you in your transition from a glider pilot who stays in the pattern to a real
    soaring pilot capable of short cross country flights. Once you have some footing under you as an intermediate soaring pilot you will have more of a feel what your areas of study are. I recommend G. Dale's books highly, as well as Eckey's book next. They
    go into considerable detail that will be lost on newer pilots. Reichman is largely considered the authority on our topic but the book is getting dated in some areas. Because he was the first to write a modern soaring book (1970's?) most new authors have
    to quote him anyway, and all follow his format. Once you have the facts about how soaring is done, Moffett and the Brigliadoris as well as Kawa can help you wade into the mental game as an advanced pilot, but not until you have a few seasons under your
    belt and a contest or two.
    Aside from books, Wings and Wheels has a great news letter with back issues on their website. Read up & sign up! It's free. If you are on Facebook there are many well known clubs and soaring pilots who post frequently and offer advice. I like Adam
    Woolley and Pure Glide. Pure Glide has an EXCELLENT YouTube channel. Go over there and watch his videos this winter! The Soaring Safety Foundation Website has some good info on many topics that require review. If you're feeling really depraved one of the
    best pilots in the country now is an economics professor named John Cochrane who has some highly technical papers on his professional website, Google can help you find them. Warning, maths ahead!
    I applaud you for looking to study up on our subject. Too many don't. Reading and then experimenting inflight is a great way to learn when you don't have a mentor with XC experience.

Doug Tarmichael
    W24

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have ordered Cross country soaring by Reichmann, but am having trouble locating anything by Bob Wander, as they sound like they would be good reads for me. I am still trying to learn what I don’t know. I
    have been trying to get some others together at my local airport to start a club, but it is proving difficult and unlikely, so I may only get up infrequently when I happen to be on trips for work near a place I can rent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Thu Jan 12 10:27:37 2023
    On 1/12/2023 9:44 AM, mdmartin wrote:
    On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-5, Dgtarmichael wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have ordered Cross country soaring by Reichmann, but am having trouble locating anything by Bob Wander, as they sound like they would be good reads for me. I am still trying to learn what I don’t know.
    I have been trying to get some others together at my local airport to start a club, but it is proving difficult and unlikely, so I may only get up infrequently when I happen to be on trips for work near a place I can rent.

Bob Wander's books are offered on Wings&Wheels, Cumulus Soaring, and might be contacted
    through this website:

http://www.bobwander.com/Aboutbob.html

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Thu Jan 12 12:25:57 2023
    On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 12:44:43 PM UTC-5, mdmartin wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have ordered Cross country soaring by Reichmann, but am having trouble locating anything by Bob Wander, as they sound like they would be good reads for me. I am still trying to learn what I don’t know. I
    have been trying to get some others together at my local airport to start a club, but it is proving difficult and unlikely, so I may only get up infrequently when I happen to be on trips for work near a place I can rent.

Where's this local airport?

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH, Pi & 002 owner/pilo@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Sat Jan 14 15:09:21 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 5:42:30 PM UTC-5, mdmartin wrote:
    On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 3:25:59 PM UTC-5, tango...@gmail.com wrote:

T8
    I would like to get something together at Reigle airport, 58N (Palmyra, PA, east of Harrisburg). However, having trouble finding enough people interested and willing to split the cost of a motor glider or tow plane and glider.
    From there, maybe look at PSU at University park, or Mifflin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mdmartin@21:1/5 to tango...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 14 14:42:28 2023

T8

I would like to get something together at Reigle airport, 58N (Palmyra, PA, east of Harrisburg). However, having trouble finding enough people interested and willing to split the cost of a motor glider or tow plane and glider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west@21:1/5 to tango...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 15 06:45:48 2023
    On Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 2:25:59 PM UTC-6, tango...@gmail.com wrote:
    having trouble locating anything by Bob Wander, as they sound like they would be good reads for me.

Bob Wander's books are relatively short, easy to read (and re-read), inexpensive and found at www.soarbooks.com
    You'll even find a book on flying the towplane, "The Towpilot Manual" in 7th printing. Apparently popular, the only book in the USA on towing procedures (FAR 91.309) and managing the risks of being a towpilot for the initial FAA 61.69 training and the
    logbook endorsement and for the 24 month mandatory towpilot re-currency options.

Regarding Helmut Reichmann (R.I.P. - died in a glider as I recall) his better book for you may be the more basic "Flying Sailplanes" - out of print but one of the best. Search the used book sites on the web like ABEbooks.com
    I have a huge collection of vintage soaring books for sale. Ask for my book list at marfagliders at Am On Line dotty comm
    Robert Kronfeld, Wolf Hirth, Derek Piggott, Phillip Wills, Ann Welch, several rare translated German books, British books and US authors, 1930's to 1990's. Every SOARING magazine since the first. Located in my dry and high (5,000' msl) Marfa Gliders
    Soaring Center in southwest Texas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gfoneill@xtra.co.nz@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 15 21:54:37 2023
    On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 2:02:30 PM UTC+13, R wrote:
    R

The book is out of print but someone has taken the time to scan the whole book into a PDF file.
    I agree that it is one of the best books for intermediate to advance soaring and I am going to print
    a copy of the non maths part as my basic reference manual

Gary

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 16 16:53:45 2023

The above book is well worth it for the pictures alone.
    Super techy and detailed, one of the finest IMHO.
    Would make a good coffee table book, the pictures are so good.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to mdmartin on Mon Jan 16 22:51:15 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 3:42:30 PM UTC-7, mdmartin wrote:

T8
    PM sent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05