• Dog, My Hero!

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 13:26:50 2022
    I cannot go into a great deal of detail, but somewhere there was a dog that bit the propeller off a motorglider. Yes, the dog took action against the motorglider and bit the propeller so hard that it broke. Now I must say that is a damn good dog! What
    should become of the dog that bites off the propeller on a motorglider, I think that the dog should go into the Soaring Hall of Fame. I can promise you that many of those already inducted into that prestigious group would certainly agree. Old Bob,, The
    Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 29 15:40:35 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 2:26:52 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    I cannot go into a great deal of detail, but somewhere there was a dog that bit the propeller off a motorglider. Yes, the dog took action against the motorglider and bit the propeller so hard that it broke. Now I must say that is a damn good dog! What
    should become of the dog that bites off the propeller on a motorglider, I think that the dog should go into the Soaring Hall of Fame. I can promise you that many of those already inducted into that prestigious group would certainly agree. Old Bob,, The
    Purist

In the 90's, I knew a 'ramp' dog that was known for keeping a respectful distance from airplanes and ultralights. But one day he was present at our wonderful AZ purist hang gliding site at Mingus mtn and decided to engage in our activities. He would
    sneak in out of sight below launch, lie in wait, and then spring up to bark furiously at each hang glider as they trotted down the ramp. When it was my turn, I decided to turn the tables and I barked right back at him as I started my run. He was
    comically startled, fell backwards, and rolled a short ways down the steep face. Unfortunately for the next pilot, the dog was ready and now very motivated for the next launch. He sprung up and latched onto the inside of the pilot's thigh (thankfully
    not too high). The bite was momentary, the dog didn't fall too far landing in some bushes, and the pilot kept his glider flying. For some reason, I got blamed for my friend's monster bruise and abbreviated flight.

I can only conclude that some dogs have good taste and others don't. No, I won't clarify (I'm not really sure which is which).

JJ (retired purist / current damned-to-hell MG heretic)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 16:57:11 2022
    Near half a cent

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Dec 29 16:40:50 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 7:23:55 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 12/29/2022 3:40 PM, John Johnson wrote:
    I cannot go into a great deal of detail, but somewhere there was a dog that bit the propeller off a motorglider. Yes, the dog took action against the motorglider and bit the propeller so hard that it broke. Now I must say that is a damn good dog!
    What should become of the dog that bites off the propeller on a motorglider, I think that the dog should go into the Soaring Hall of Fame. I can promise you that many of those already inducted into that prestigious group would certainly agree. Old Bob,,
    The Purist

In the 90's, I knew a 'ramp' dog that was known for keeping a respectful distance from airplanes and ultralights. But one day he was present at our wonderful AZ purist hang gliding site at Mingus mtn and decided to engage in our activities. He would
    sneak in out of sight below launch, lie in wait, and then spring up to bark furiously at each hang glider as they trotted down the ramp. When it was my turn, I decided to turn the tables and I barked right back at him as I started my run. He was
    comically startled, fell backwards, and rolled a short ways down the steep face. Unfortunately for the next pilot, the dog was ready and now very motivated for the next launch. He sprung up and latched onto the inside of the pilot's thigh (thankfully not
    too high). The bite was momentary, the dog didn't fall too far landing in some bushes, and the pilot kept his glider flying. For some reason, I got blamed for my friend's monster bruise and abbreviated flight.

I can only conclude that some dogs have good taste and others don't. No, I won't clarify (I'm not really sure which is which).

If a Purist makes it to heaven, he'll be very upset when he realizes ... HE is now a
    motorglider (you know, the wings you get upon entry...)! Probably just an academic situation.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Eric, as we say down south, "Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch". I have yet to see an angel with a pop up propeller, they are depicted as pure as pure can get. Motorglider guys will be stuck in Purgatory, dangling there awaiting for the motor
    to start, hope it is not a Solo, might not make it out.
    I did have a Beagle and what a great dog old, Better was, and if he were around today he would be lifting his leg on every motorglider he could smell, and they do smell!.
    The dog that took down the motorglider was named AMY, how in the heck can a dog named Amy take down a motorglider. I could understand if it were a Boy Named Sue, but Amy??? Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Thu Dec 29 16:23:50 2022
    On 12/29/2022 3:40 PM, John Johnson wrote:
    Purist

comically startled, fell backwards, and rolled a short ways down the steep face. Unfortunately for the next pilot, the dog was ready and now very motivated for the next launch. He sprung up and latched onto the inside of the pilot's thigh (thankfully
    not too high). The bite was momentary, the dog didn't fall too far landing in some bushes, and the pilot kept his glider flying. For some reason, I got blamed for my friend's monster bruise and abbreviated flight.

If a Purist makes it to heaven, he'll be very upset when he realizes ... HE is now a
    motorglider (you know, the wings you get upon entry...)! Probably just an academic situation.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 17:00:49 2022
    Near half a century ago, we were strapped in a Blanik. Somebody's erstwhile well behaved dog decided to chase us down the runway, but liftoff ended his fun.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 30 18:44:15 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 4:26:52 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Purist
    Questions....
    I am assuming it's a composite propeller?
    If so, how is the dog? I can think of resin and shards hurting it's mouth.
    Did the dog get taken to a vet for a checkup?
    I will also assume the prop was stopped.
    Hopefully the dog is OK.
    I wonder how the insurance phonecall goes....."hello, yes, I need to file a several thousand dollar claim for my propeller. A dog bit it. No, I'm not joking. Seriously. No, I don't think I have a vet bill coming. Can I sue for destruction of property....
    this could be a federal offense for damage to an aircraft through the FAA or DOT.......big bucks....."
    Click.......

Have a Happy New Year people.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 31 02:10:25 2022
    This is the real/true story:

At the Magaliesburg (South Africa) Gliding Club a stray dog showed up one year who we named Amelia (later shortened to "Amy") and she took up a friendship with the regular airport dog, "Scruffie". MGC uses aerotow, winch and Schibe Motor Falke motor
    gliders for training. One week we had having several students in an intensive training program to get people soloed and Amy trotted out to the flight line and for some reason started barking and growling at one of the Motor Falkes that had its engine
    and prop idling. Before anyone knew what was happening, Amy attacked and tried to bite the moving propeller and she got hit, thrown several feet, and lay unconscious . We thought she was done for but she woke up with only some cuts on the snout and a
    broken jaw. She did go to the vet who sewed the cuts and reset her jaw and we passed the hat to pay for her vet bill.

The story (complete with photos of Amt & Scruffy) was told in my 2020 South African Gliding "Blog" found at:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ddtZgA3v5k4swD-_2Prm5is_uJ6Y1lUMUGoihW7snlg/edit

Today Amy is well and still lives at MGC with Scruffie. She stays on a leash when at the flight line.

ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herbert Kilian@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Sat Dec 31 10:34:34 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 5:40:37 PM UTC-6, John Johnson wrote:
    I cannot go into a great deal of detail, but somewhere there was a dog that bit the propeller off a motorglider. Yes, the dog took action against the motorglider and bit the propeller so hard that it broke. Now I must say that is a damn good dog!
    What should become of the dog that bites off the propeller on a motorglider, I think that the dog should go into the Soaring Hall of Fame. I can promise you that many of those already inducted into that prestigious group would certainly agree. Old Bob,,
    The Purist
    comically startled, fell backwards, and rolled a short ways down the steep face. Unfortunately for the next pilot, the dog was ready and now very motivated for the next launch. He sprung up and latched onto the inside of the pilot's thigh (thankfully not
    too high). The bite was momentary, the dog didn't fall too far landing in some bushes, and the pilot kept his glider flying. For some reason, I got blamed for my friend's monster bruise and abbreviated flight.

I believe the self-declared purist is the real dog here - Pavlows dog to be precise. Every freaking day he hears the bell and salivates over his abnormal hate for motorgliders. There is nobody on this whole forum blabbing more on every subject that
    proves he is God's gift to soaring but in a very ungodly way demeaning, insulting, belittling a part of the soaring community that we all should show nothing but love and support to. Soiling our sport is disqualifying and not furthering it.
    A Happy, Prosperous and Safe New Year to the rest of us.
    Herb, J7

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Herbert Kilian on Sat Dec 31 13:04:35 2022
    On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 1:34:35 PM UTC-5, Herbert Kilian wrote:
    The Purist

I believe the self-declared purist is the real dog here - Pavlows dog to be precise. Every freaking day he hears the bell and salivates over his abnormal hate for motorgliders. There is nobody on this whole forum blabbing more on every subject that
    proves he is God's gift to soaring but in a very ungodly way demeaning, insulting, belittling a part of the soaring community that we all should show nothing but love and support to. Soiling our sport is disqualifying and not furthering it.
    Herb, J7
    Herbie, having not heard from you in a while I was beginning to worry and actually thought you had gone over to the dark side of RAS Prime, where censorship prevails. You should not be so offended by remarks about motorgliders, some of my good friends
    are motorglider enthusiast and they don't take as serious as you and Fitch, maybe it is the brutal winter weather that is getting to the both of you. Herbie, I have been very nice to you and Fitch, yet you two MG guys contain so much hatred and denial of
    the truth about your motorgliders.
    Herbie, once again I extend a personal invitation to you to come on down to Vero Beach, stay at the ranch here, enjoy our hospitality, beautiful weather, and we will go for a flight. I will take you out to the deep blue and catch a few fish in the
    Atlantic, Eileen will prepare the best fresh fist dinner that you could ever have. Your good friend, and favorite PURIST, Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 31 17:31:49 2022
    There were a couple of gliders up attempting to fly the wave today and I
    could have gotten my Stemme out. But, alas, as our Cessna goes out of
    annual tomorrow, we took it up, instead. Fear not, it goes into the
    shop on Monday to get a new lease on life.

I couldn't see any wave prospects for the next several days, so we'll
    fly low in the gyro, instead!

Happy New Year to all!

Dan
    5J

On 12/31/22 14:04, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 1:34:35 PM UTC-5, Herbert Kilian wrote:
    The Purist

Herb, J7
    Herbie, having not heard from you in a while I was beginning to worry and actually thought you had gone over to the dark side of RAS Prime, where censorship prevails. You should not be so offended by remarks about motorgliders, some of my good friends
    are motorglider enthusiast and they don't take as serious as you and Fitch, maybe it is the brutal winter weather that is getting to the both of you. Herbie, I have been very nice to you and Fitch, yet you two MG guys contain so much hatred and denial of
    the truth about your motorgliders.
    Herbie, once again I extend a personal invitation to you to come on down to Vero Beach, stay at the ranch here, enjoy our hospitality, beautiful weather, and we will go for a flight. I will take you out to the deep blue and catch a few fish in the
    Atlantic, Eileen will prepare the best fresh fist dinner that you could ever have. Your good friend, and favorite PURIST, Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05