• Keeping The Mice Away

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 04:27:38 2022
    Winterizing that ship is something many pilots are required to do because of the winter weather and lack of flying. Mice are always a problem in many areas of the country and there is never a more inviting place to raise a family than the glider trailer
    of glider itself. Yes, those nasty little critters will eat insulation and wire along with interior. Some people use rat or mice poison and it works but when the mice or rat dies in the trailer or cockpit it sure can create a nasty smell and mess.
    I have a couple of trailers stored in the hangar and yes, we have had a mice problem in the past, but I have found the solution that requires no poison. Try going to the market and buying a few bars of Irish Spring original scent bars of soap and place
    them in the trailer or cockpit, the rats and mice hate the smell of that stuff and will not come within 20 feet of the soap. Since trying this I have yet to see any trace of a rodent in my trailers. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 15 06:24:10 2022
    On 12/15/2022 4:27 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Winterizing that ship is something many pilots are required to do because of the winter weather and lack of flying. Mice are always a problem in many areas of the country and there is never a more inviting place to raise a family than the glider
    trailer of glider itself. Yes, those nasty little critters will eat insulation and wire along with interior. Some people use rat or mice poison and it works but when the mice or rat dies in the trailer or cockpit it sure can create a nasty smell and mess.
    I have a couple of trailers stored in the hangar and yes, we have had a mice problem in the past, but I have found the solution that requires no poison. Try going to the market and buying a few bars of Irish Spring original scent bars of soap and place
    them in the trailer or cockpit, the rats and mice hate the smell of that stuff and will not come within 20 feet of the soap. Since trying this I have yet to see any trace of a rodent in my trailers. Old Bob, The Purist

The RV group I monitor has folks that say Irish Springs soap keeps the mice out of their
    motorhome, and folks that say the mice like to nibble on it. There are many other methods
    with the same results, from moth balls, flashing LED lights, softener sheets for dryers,
    cats, etc. But, if the soap fails for you, you got options!

The one thing that seems to work for everyone is to plug every opening so the mice can't
    get in. I did that for my motorhome by turning on the interior lights at night, and
    looking at the outside (and underneath) of the motorhome for light leaks, then plugging
    the openings with expanding foam or steel wool.

Another method that might be as good, according to the RV folks that use it, is metal
    shields around the tires, about as high as the axle. This method also protects the wiring
    in the engine compartment, but that's not a trailer issue.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 15 09:40:48 2022
    So, how do you keep the hot chicks away (remembering the TV commercials)?

Dan
    5J

On 12/15/22 05:27, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Winterizing that ship is something many pilots are required to do because of the winter weather and lack of flying. Mice are always a problem in many areas of the country and there is never a more inviting place to raise a family than the glider
    trailer of glider itself. Yes, those nasty little critters will eat insulation and wire along with interior. Some people use rat or mice poison and it works but when the mice or rat dies in the trailer or cockpit it sure can create a nasty smell and mess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Dec 15 08:48:11 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 10:40:52 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Put on your bucket hat.

Steve Leonard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Dec 15 09:28:17 2022
    Marry one.

If that strategy fails, I will follow the advice to take the hot chick to gliderport for
    weekend, and the problem will resolve itself.

On 12/15/2022 8:40 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Winterizing that ship is something many pilots are required to do because of the winter
    weather and lack of flying. Mice are always a problem in many areas of the country and
    there is never a more inviting place to raise a family than the glider trailer of glider
    itself. Yes, those nasty little critters will eat insulation and wire along with
    interior. Some people use rat or mice poison and it works but when the mice or rat dies
    in the trailer or cockpit it sure can create a nasty smell and mess.
    I have a couple of trailers stored in the hangar and yes, we have had a mice problem in
    the past, but I have found the solution that requires no poison. Try going to the market
    and buying a few bars of Irish Spring original scent bars of soap and place them in the
    trailer or cockpit, the rats and mice hate the smell of that stuff and will not come
    within 20 feet of the soap. Since trying this I have yet to see any trace of a rodent in
    my trailers. Old Bob, The Purist

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JC@21:1/5 to Steve Leonard on Thu Dec 15 11:43:40 2022
    Laughed out loud!

On 12/15/2022 10:48 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

Dan
    5J

Put on your bucket hat.

Steve Leonard

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. www.avast.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 12:12:55 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:43:43 AM UTC-6, JC wrote:
    Laughed out loud!
    So, how do you keep the hot chicks away (remembering the TV commercials)? >>
    Dan
    5J

Put on your bucket hat.

Steve Leonard

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. www.avast.com
    I dunno, I remember Ginger & MaryAnn all over Gilligan at various times...oh, wait, that was on a killer landout & retrieve😋

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 15 13:11:03 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 3:12:57 PM UTC-5, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:43:43 AM UTC-6, JC wrote:
    Laughed out loud!

Dan
    5J

Put on your bucket hat.

Steve Leonard

--
    I dunno, I remember Ginger & MaryAnn all over Gilligan at various times...oh, wait, that was on a killer landout & retrieve😋
    Look, don't want to upset the ladies again, but hot chicks like gliders, A couple of our members mothers would certainly confirm that observation. Old Bob, The Perverted Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Dec 15 13:31:58 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 12:28:22 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Marry one.

If that strategy fails, I will follow the advice to take the hot chick to gliderport for

Dan
    5J

Winterizing that ship is something many pilots are required to do because of the winter
    weather and lack of flying. Mice are always a problem in many areas of the country and
    there is never a more inviting place to raise a family than the glider trailer of glider
    itself. Yes, those nasty little critters will eat insulation and wire along with
    interior. Some people use rat or mice poison and it works but when the mice or rat dies
    I have a couple of trailers stored in the hangar and yes, we have had a mice problem in
    the past, but I have found the solution that requires no poison. Try going to the market
    and buying a few bars of Irish Spring original scent bars of soap and place them in the
    trailer or cockpit, the rats and mice hate the smell of that stuff and will not come
    within 20 feet of the soap. Since trying this I have yet to see any trace of a rodent in
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Eric, take my gliderport lessons and put them to practice. You guys in the north have no idea as to what a hot chick at the gliderport looks like. If you think Bo Derek was a 10 then you should come on down to TCSC and observe the talent on any given
    weekend. Recently we have had a few outstanding examples of what we call on the spectrum of hot vs crazy spectrum. I promise you that a few of our outstanding candidates would make a gay guy go straight. Now I am just an old tow plane pilot, but I do
    keep a score sheet in the cockpit and evaluate every potential candidate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 15 18:02:35 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Marry one.

Dan
    5J

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Eric, take my gliderport lessons and put them to practice. You guys in the north have no idea as to what a hot chick at the gliderport looks like. If you think Bo Derek was a 10 then you should come on down to TCSC and observe the talent on any given
    weekend. Recently we have had a few outstanding examples of what we call on the spectrum of hot vs crazy spectrum. I promise you that a few of our outstanding candidates would make a gay guy go straight. Now I am just an old tow plane pilot, but I do

Boy, has this thread ever declined into debauchery!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 6PK@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 16 14:42:30 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 6:02:37 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
    Marry one.

Dan
    5J

in the trailer or cockpit it sure can create a nasty smell and mess. >> I have a couple of trailers stored in the hangar and yes, we have had a mice problem in
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    From rodents to hot chicks, you guys must be bored. Hmmm....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 16 18:29:17 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 5:42:32 PM UTC-5, 6PK wrote:
    Marry one.

Dan
    5J

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Eric, take my gliderport lessons and put them to practice. You guys in the north have no idea as to what a hot chick at the gliderport looks like. If you think Bo Derek was a 10 then you should come on down to TCSC and observe the talent on any
    given weekend. Recently we have had a few outstanding examples of what we call on the spectrum of hot vs crazy spectrum. I promise you that a few of our outstanding candidates would make a gay guy go straight. Now I am just an old tow plane pilot, but I
    do keep a score sheet in the cockpit and evaluate every potential candidate.
    Not really, just tired of the charging battery encyclopedia! i I cannot believe some of this so-called professional advice. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 16 20:22:28 2022
    On 12/16/2022 6:29 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote...
    Not really, just tired of the charging battery encyclopedia! i I cannot believe some of this so-called professional advice. Old Bob, The Purist

Well, believe at least most of it: I'm an electrical engineer, 2G is an electrical
    engineer, Jon - not sure about Jon, but he looks like one, acts like one, got the
    instruments, and talks like one, so maybe he is one?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Dec 17 04:12:20 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 11:22:34 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 1:32:01 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote...
    Well, believe at least most of it: I'm an electrical engineer, 2G is an electrical
    engineer, Jon - not sure about Jon, but he looks like one, acts like one, got the
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I do understand your type of guys, my son is a structural PE, I listen to how we should do things all the time, always a boring conversation. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 17 05:34:02 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 7:12:22 AM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I do understand your type of guys, my son is a structural PE, I listen to how we should do things all the time, always a boring conversation. Old Bob, The Purist
    As my ME friends say, "PE's design targets, ME's blow them up".

Back to mice, they can fit through a hole about a dime diameter, just big enough to get their head through.
    My issue with mothballs in a trailer is the lingering smell in the glider. Also mind what you put mothballs on, they sorta melt with time and can stain whatever they sit on.
    Keeping food out of the glider and trailer is good, as is removing rags, cushions, etc. as these become attractants. They don't seem to attack the felt on various taildollies, wing saddles, etc.

Dad joke...
    Have you ever smelled mothballs?
    If so, what did you do, spread its wings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 08:40:25 2022
    On 12/17/2022 5:34 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Back to mice, they can fit through a hole about a dime diameter, just big enough to get their head through.
    My issue with mothballs in a trailer is the lingering smell in the glider. Also mind what you put mothballs on, they sorta melt with time and can stain whatever they sit on.
    Keeping food out of the glider and trailer is good, as is removing rags, cushions, etc. as these become attractants. They don't seem to attack the felt on various taildollies, wing saddles, etc.

Dad joke...

THe mothballs might have been recommended for the engine compartment of the motorhome.
    It's the wire harness chewing that really burns people's butts, as it often disables the
    motorhome, and can cost thousands to repair in severe cases. Not a real issue for
    trailers, though.

I think a trailer should be easy to defend -at Cobra trailers- given the very small number
    of holes in the bottom of the trailer, and essentially none in the top.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Dec 17 13:33:58 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 10:40:31 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 11:22:34 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>> On 12/16/2022 6:29 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Dad joke...
    THe mothballs might have been recommended for the engine compartment of the motorhome.
    It's the wire harness chewing that really burns people's butts, as it often disables the
    motorhome, and can cost thousands to repair in severe cases. Not a real issue for
    trailers, though.

I think a trailer should be easy to defend -at Cobra trailers- given the very small number
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I have a coupla stick gadgets that make hi freq noise, run by C batteries. Can't vouch for them but suggested by my friendsr at Air Sailing. FOB X52.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Tony on Sat Dec 17 13:36:46 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 3:34:00 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 11:22:34 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>> On 12/16/2022 6:29 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Dad joke...
    trailers, though.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I have a coupla stick gadgets that make hi freq noise, run by C batteries. Can't vouch for them but suggested by my friendsr at Air Sailing. FOB X52.
    By the way I do NOT recommend the tyre covers for the trailer or motor home, at least in temperate climes - they make the most awesome mousie housies!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 17 14:07:39 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 4:34:00 PM UTC-5, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Dad joke...
    trailers, though.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I have these mouse and rat traps that electrocute the victims when they go inside to get the peanut butter, the only problem is that the traps must be checked daily or there will be a nasty smell similar to a motorglider when the victims starts to decay.
    These must have been the invention of an EE, a structural PE would have just crushed them with some type of dynamic load.
    I have used these high pitch electronic devises to no avail, the mouse electric chair which is akin to Old Sparky here in Florida is the way to go, it certainly took care of Bundy, so mouse and rats are no problem. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Gibbons@21:1/5 to owner@thegreenwells.netto on Sat Dec 17 22:17:16 2022
    On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 08:40:25 -0800, Eric Greenwell
    <owner@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:

... text deletd

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

One potential issue with older Cobra trailers (and perhaps newer ones
    as well) is the open mouse path between the tow hitch ball receiver
    and the aft end of the drawtube inside the trailer. At least in older
    trailers (mine is 1987 vintage), this tube provides a clear entry path
    from the outside to inside the trailer.

It is relatively simple to seal the inner end of the drawtube with
    metal mesh, expanding foam, or both, to seal this ingress point.

Bob

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Bob Gibbons on Sat Dec 17 22:06:41 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 8:17:21 PM UTC-8, Bob Gibbons wrote:
    On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 08:40:25 -0800, Eric Greenwell <ow...@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:

... text deletd

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    and the aft end of the drawtube inside the trailer. At least in older trailers (mine is 1987 vintage), this tube provides a clear entry path

Bob

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com

I recommend the rolling log mouse trap. It doesn't need resetting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk8W5uf-Dw

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 18 10:49:41 2022
    Gee... I feel so much safer knowing that youtube (google) protects me
    from seeing a mouse fall off a stick into a *dry* bucket; or protects me
    from seeing a beer or wine bottle or cigarette. Do they think I can't
    figure out what's behind that fuzz ball?

Hey, maybe google RAS prime will automatically protect us from the likes
    of the Crazy Canadian.............

Dan
    5J

On 12/17/22 23:06, 2G wrote:
    <ow...@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:

... text deletd

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Bob

--
    www.avg.com

I recommend the rolling log mouse trap. It doesn't need resetting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk8W5uf-Dw

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Dec 18 23:32:47 2022
    On Sunday, December 18, 2022 at 9:49:45 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Gee... I feel so much safer knowing that youtube (google) protects me
    from seeing a mouse fall off a stick into a *dry* bucket; or protects me
    from seeing a beer or wine bottle or cigarette. Do they think I can't
    figure out what's behind that fuzz ball?

What you may also be protected from is the cannibalism that occurs among these mice caught live in a trap.

Hey, maybe google RAS prime will automatically protect us from the likes
    of the Crazy Canadian.............

Dan
    5J
    On 12/17/22 23:06, 2G wrote:
    <ow...@thegreenwells.netto> wrote:

... text deletd

of holes in the bottom of the trailer, and essentially none in the top. >>>
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Bob

--
    www.avg.com

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 19 09:28:44 2022
    I've seen a lot worse and can still sleep at night.

Dan
    5J

On 12/19/22 00:32, 2G wrote:
    What you may also be protected from is the cannibalism that occurs among these mice caught live in a trap.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05