• SoftRF OGN

From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 19:25:34 2022
    Does anyone have any experience with SoftRF OGN? https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Dongle-Edition#required

They have developed several DYI devices based on Chinese hardware. It appears very interesting. You can create an inexpensive OGB tracker that's small, light, and low power consumption.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to John Godfrey on Sun Nov 13 06:53:57 2022
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 9:47:35 AM UTC-5, John Godfrey wrote:
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 10:25:35 PM UTC-5, Charlie Finn wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience with SoftRF OGN? https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Dongle-Edition#required

They have developed several DYI devices based on Chinese hardware. It appears very interesting. You can create an inexpensive OGB tracker that's small, light, and low power consumption.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g5_wkpxvUMj26ztusIqDEgGFJdpRllQimsON5N9bUDU/edit
    Thanks to Davis Chappins for all the work on this. Wish folks would not be so derisive towardds him in other threads.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Sun Nov 13 06:47:33 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 10:25:35 PM UTC-5, Charlie Finn wrote:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g5_wkpxvUMj26ztusIqDEgGFJdpRllQimsON5N9bUDU/edit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Sun Nov 13 08:11:40 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 9:25:35 PM UTC-6, Charlie Finn wrote:

I've built up an OGN tracker based on the Lilygo T-Beam and SoftRF per the instructions Davis Chappins provided. I tested it at our field two weeks ago. The test glider showed up on our OGN receiver and also on a FLARM unit in another glider that was
    on the ground at the time. We tracked it the entire flight and while moving on the ground. I can't vouch for the ultimate range, the test glider never got more than about 3 miles away (It was a student and instructor in a K21), but I think it is very
    promising.

Rich L

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 13 07:22:24 2022
    Thanks guys. Just what I needed. I fly with Southern Eagles Soaring at Butler, GA. We plan to install an OGN ground station. Researching airborne tracker solutions. I've held a ham radio license for over 50 years. Since OGN is based on APRS, it's easy
    to understand. Moshe, after I get the basic working, I'll try your predictive version.

Charlie
    AK4IA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Sun Nov 13 10:07:00 2022
    Charlie and all interested parties,

We over here at Central Alabama Soaring Association (CASA) are also installing an OGN ground station, at our home 'drome at Merkel Field Sylacauga Alabama (KSCD). The ground station has been provided to us through Davis Chapin's program (thanks, Davis!).
    We have tested the ground station with a temporary antenna and one SoftRF "tracker"-equipped aircraft (our towplane) plus a few FLARM-equipped gliders, worked great. We should be up and running with a permanent antenna installation in a few days. At
    that time we'll be fully on the OGN system.

We plan to outfit our entire club fleet, including our Pawnee, with SoftRF "trackers" AND traffic displays. So far we have built two SoftRF "trackers" using the Lilygo T-Beam board. And we have built one SoftRF "SkyView EZ" display unit so far, with
    speaker. The "SkyView EZ" links with a SoftRF "tracker" via wifi and provides the pilot with audible voice alerts for traffic as well as a "radar screen" display of glider traffic (both SoftRF "tracker"-equipped and FLARM-equipped gliders). We have
    done some simple ground tests so far, and it all works as advertised. We'll do flight tests this coming weekend, to confirm full functionality.

Finally, I have just received a Lilygo T-Echo combined SoftRF "tracker" and display, which provides a "tracker" and small (maybe too small) display screen together in one unit, we'll test that probably next weekend also.

We are 100% satisfied with what we have seen so far with the SoftRF units! They provide traffic information and alerts (including voice alerts, if equipped with a speaker) similar to FLARM at a fraction of the cost, plus of course the Open Glider
    Network real-time viewing and automatic flight logging capability. But let me be clear, it is not (yet) a FLARM replacement! At this time the baseline SoftRF does not provide the type of sophisticated turning-flight collision predictions and alerts
    that FLARM does. And it doesn't pick up ADS-B traffic. But there are folk working on SoftRF versions that provide more advanced collision predictions and alerts, in particular Moshe Braner. We plan to update to these advanced SoftRF versions once our
    baseline systems are fully tested and checked out.

Finally, we at CASA will be installing additional OGN ground stations at a few surrounding airports, in order to expand our OGN-coverage area. Right now we are thinking Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, and Tuskegee Alabama (but we need to complete a range
    validation of our home base KSCD station before we finalize). Charlie, we should coordinate with you folk at Southern Eagles to get our OGN-coverage areas to overlap if possible.

Charlie, I will send you an email with some more details on our "trackers" and status, watch for it. You can ask me about more details on our SoftRF experiences by responding to my email address if you would like.

We at CASA are excited about incorporating OGN at our flying site, for what we view to be safety enhancements and fun and useful real-time visibility into the status of the day's glider operations via the OGN viewers and the automatic flight logging.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 9:22:26 AM UTC-6, Charlie Finn wrote:
    Thanks guys. Just what I needed. I fly with Southern Eagles Soaring at Butler, GA. We plan to install an OGN ground station. Researching airborne tracker solutions. I've held a ham radio license for over 50 years. Since OGN is based on APRS, it's easy
    to understand. Moshe, after I get the basic working, I'll try your predictive version.

Charlie
    AK4IA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Richard Livingston on Sun Nov 13 21:45:52 2022
    On 11/13/22 9:11 AM, Richard Livingston wrote:
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 9:25:35 PM UTC-6, Charlie Finn wrote:

I've built up an OGN tracker based on the Lilygo T-Beam and SoftRF per the instructions Davis Chappins provided. I tested it at our field two weeks ago. The test glider showed up on our OGN receiver and also on a FLARM unit in another glider that was
    on the ground at the time. We tracked it the entire flight and while moving on the ground. I can't vouch for the ultimate range, the test glider never got more than about 3 miles away (It was a student and instructor in a K21), but I think it is very
    promising.

Rich L

I built up one of the same units. Haven't flown it, but have seen up to
    6 miles ground-ground range, should be substantially better when it's in
    a glider.

Nice thing about this unit is it has a battery holder on the back of the
    PCB, so you can run it entirely off battery. A 12 volt to 5 volt
    converter might add RF noise that could get into the radio.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 02:15:18 2022
    Thanks Dave. Which model did you choose? We're going ahead and build up a few for the club. Looking for the best location to mount the ground station. We have several large trees around the hangar. May be able to mount it on the rotating beacon tower,
    but have to ponder the logistics for power and connectivity, and of course maintenance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 05:31:54 2022
    There is a huge advantage to having this device powered by a USB port. With the battery(which works fine) the user needs to be taught the correct sequences for turning the unit on and off. For private use, this is fine, but in a club environment it
    will not work, and the unit needs to be plugged in to charge so would need an easily removed mount and someone would need to manage it.

With a USB port, the unit automatically turns on and off with the ship's power, so can be mounted. Buy a decent power converter, and there will be little or no noise. A power converter with 2 outlets, let the club members plug in their flight
    computers too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Mon Nov 14 08:45:58 2022
    On 11/14/2022 5:15 AM, Charlie Finn wrote:
    Thanks Dave. Which model did you choose? We're going ahead and build up a few for the club. Looking for the best location to mount the ground station. We have several large trees around the hangar. May be able to mount it on the rotating beacon tower,
    but have to ponder the logistics for power and connectivity, and of course maintenance.

You may consider a different approach to setting up an OGN ground
    station in situations where it is difficult to get power, internet
    connection, and good radio reception, all in one spot. Long antenna
    cables have their drawbacks too. The "OGNbase" software, which runs on
    devices similar to SoftRF, offers an alternative 2-device "relay" mode.
    One "remote" device is installed on top of a tall tower, or on a hill
    or mountain, possibly miles away, and receives the FLARM signals from
    gliders. That device can be powered by a small solar panel. The other
    "base" device is installed somewhere with internet connection, e.g., the clubhouse. The two devices communicate via radio. The antenna for the
    "base" device can be indoors if the "remote" is nearby, or can be a
    directional antenna on the roof if the "remote" is far away.

For more details, and the software itself, see here: https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation
    Start here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation/main/ognbase/documentation/documentation.txt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Mon Nov 14 07:23:17 2022
    On 11/14/22 3:15 AM, Charlie Finn wrote:

I did the standard Davis Chappins build, using this transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/LILYGO-LORA32-T-Beam-Development-CH9102F/dp/B09VLFQQG4/ref=sr_1_6

Make sure to get the one with OLED unsoldered, and there's no reason to
    solder it yourself.

For the ground station, there's no need to have it right at the airport.
    Maybe a house within a couple miles?

If you really want to put it up on the tower, power over ethernet (POE)
    wqould be a great choice, you can get cheap POE hats for Pi 3B+ or 4B
    units. You could cycle power and remote login easily without climbing
    the tower. But you're looking at serious weatherproofing and lightening protection issues.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Bruce on Mon Nov 14 10:22:52 2022
    On 11/14/2022 8:31 AM, Bruce wrote:

There is a huge advantage to having this device powered by a USB port. With the battery(which works fine) the user needs to be taught the correct sequences for turning the unit on and off. For private use, this is fine, but in a club environment it
    will not work, and the unit needs to be plugged in to charge so would need an easily removed mount and someone would need to manage it.

With a USB port, the unit automatically turns on and off with the ship's power, so can be mounted. Buy a decent power converter, and there will be little or no noise. A power converter with 2 outlets, let the club members plug in their flight
    computers too.

I recently installed a dual-head USB power converter in a friend's
    glider, and it turned out to create so much radio noise on 123.3 (specifically!) that the COM radio squelch could not silence it. I'm
    sure there are better model converters. Can anybody recommend models
    they've found to be radio-quite? Also, ferrite rings that help (by
    looping the input and/or output wires of the converter through)?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Mon Nov 14 07:51:18 2022
    On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 8:22:48 AM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:

computers too.

glider, and it turned out to create so much radio noise on 123.3 (specifically!) that the COM radio squelch could not silence it. I'm

I have this unit in my motor glider and have no noise interference. I also used these in my yachting days and they were the best then. It's a little more expensive than the cheap ones, but you get what you pay for.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1045/12_24V_DC_Dual_USB_Charger_4.8A_with_Intelligent_Device_Recognition

It's available on Amazon.

Bruce

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Mon Nov 14 07:53:59 2022
    On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 10:22:48 AM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:

computers too.

aircraft spruce then: Home / Pilot Supplies / iPad, iPhone, Android / USB Power /CRAZEDpilot USB Panel Power Adapter For Aircraft 6-30V Input
    or
    https://www.navboys.com/DOUBLEUSB.html
    https://store.harkwood.co.uk/air/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 12:11:25 2022
    Moshe,

After reading your documentation, I take since OGNbase relay is done using fanet, that it would not relay to a PI based OGNground station. I really like your work on the relay project. Got a good laugh from your future item: "Plutonium battery for a life
    of 100 years". I would like to have that for an EV!

Charlie

PS: Over a very short time, I've got a great education on OGN, thanks to the help from everyone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 14:14:43 2022
    Here's my plan. Everyone feel free to shoot holes in it.

1. Build an OGNbase using T-beam module with battery. I'd like to have one of those 1,000 year plutonium batteries, but guess I'll need to wait for those.
    2. Configure it for non-relay and use WiFi for Internet connectivity
    3. Use 10 watt solar USB battery charger panel
    4. Install unit on tower approximately 600 ft. from club house
    5. Install hi gain outdoor antenna connected to WiFi

This should allow me to monitor/maintain/upgrade the unit via a browser. If I can't get a good WiFi connection, I have plan B and C. Plan B is to connect an external antenna to the WiFi module on the remote unit. I found articles on how to disable the
    internal antenna. Plan C is to build another OGNbase and configure the two in relay mode. The lower frequency radios have a much longer range.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Mon Nov 14 16:38:08 2022
    On 11/14/2022 3:11 PM, Charlie Finn wrote:
    Moshe,

After reading your documentation, I take since OGNbase relay is done using fanet, that it would not relay to a PI based OGNground station. I really like your work on the relay project. Got a good laugh from your future item: "Plutonium battery for a
    life of 100 years". I would like to have that for an EV!

Charlie

PS: Over a very short time, I've got a great education on OGN, thanks to the help from everyone.

Since Charlie replied to the group as a whole, I might as well respond
    to the group as a whole. No OGNbase does not use FANET. The text on
    that front page on github is from the original developer of OGNbase,
    from a while back, and is somewhat misleading regarding the current
    version. That's why I suggested starting with the documentation file
    that I wrote: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation/main/ognbase/documentation/documentation.txt
    Some day I'll get around to updating the front page... Been too busy
    coding and testing. But did update that text file multiple times.

But yes, "it would not relay to a PI based OGNground station". Both the "remote" station and the "base" station must run the OGNbase software,
    because the two ends of the relay setup need to know how to communicate.
    The radio messages between them are invisible to FLARM, and invisible
    to other OGN stations even if they are within reception range.
    Invisible not because it uses FANET (it doesn't), but because it is deliberately formatted to not look like a valid FLARM message, and also
    is sent on a frequency FLARM is not listening to at that moment. (FLARM
    uses a frequency hopping scheme that depends on the *exact* UTC time -
    since it has a GNSS (GPS) receiver that is possible.) The relay
    messages are also encrypted using a security key, and are thus rejected
    if received by other OGNbase stations within range. The relay messages
    are private to the pair of OGNbase stations configured in that specific
    relay setup. The base station decodes them, and posts the original
    FLARM traffic info to the OGN servers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 14:58:59 2022
    Great. The management method is the part I needed.

Once again, thanks for the great help. Hopefully, I can play it forward with other clubs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Mon Nov 14 17:54:41 2022
    On 11/14/2022 5:14 PM, Charlie Finn wrote:
    Here's my plan. Everyone feel free to shoot holes in it.

1. Build an OGNbase using T-beam module with battery. I'd like to have one of those 1,000 year plutonium batteries, but guess I'll need to wait for those.
    2. Configure it for non-relay and use WiFi for Internet connectivity
    3. Use 10 watt solar USB battery charger panel
    4. Install unit on tower approximately 600 ft. from club house
    5. Install hi gain outdoor antenna connected to WiFi

This should allow me to monitor/maintain/upgrade the unit via a browser. If I can't get a good WiFi connection, I have plan B and C. Plan B is to connect an external antenna to the WiFi module on the remote unit. I found articles on how to disable the
    internal antenna. Plan C is to build another OGNbase and configure the two in relay mode. The lower frequency radios have a much longer range.

Exactly, better to rely on the 900 MHz radios for the longer range.
    Also, the hardware you need for the additional "base" station (the "paxcounter") is very small and only costs about $20. https://www.amazon.com/LILYGO-V2-1_1-6-868Mhz-Bluetooth-Development/dp/B09FXHSS6P
    And from 600 feet it'll probably work with the simple indoor antenna it
    comes with. (Depending on the building, of course, if it's a metal
    hangar maybe not... so put the thing on a windowsill on the side towards
    the remote station). So I'd use the relay setup as Plan A.

The remote station will be set up with a good antenna (same type as used
    for the RPi-based OGN stations, but I've tested it WITHOUT preamp and
    filter). That helps it receive signals from far-away FLARM devices -
    and also the signal from the much closer base station.

When you need to update the software in the remote station, it is
    possible to connect to the base station via a web browser, and click the
    button on its web page that resets the remote station (via a 900 MHz
    radio message). After the remote station reboots, for 10 minutes, it
    creates a WiFi AP (not the same as its 900 MHz radio) that you can
    connect to from, say, a smartphone near it. Then you can configure it,
    or upload new software, right from a browser on the phone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Bruce on Wed Nov 16 13:14:32 2022
    On 11/14/22 6:31 AM, Bruce wrote:

When you say "it will not work", that's a rather dogmatic statement,
    isn't it? To turn it on, you press the power button, to turn it off,
    you press the power button again. There's status lights visible through
    the case, so it's fairly foolproof.

Our club gliders don't have loggers built in, we use velcro to mount the
    unit, and charge after the flight. If a pilot can manage a Nano, I
    think they can handle a tracker.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05