• Flying fast in AAT tasks?

From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 11 16:57:11 2022
    All,
    I am looking for some advice/help. I fly a lot of condor racing tasks and all of the books and literature devolve into the following 4 rules:
    climb better, glide better, fly straighter, don't put yourself in jail.

If you analyze several IGC files it is clear the winner did one or more of these things better than their competitors, so it is very clear what to improve on or what to maximize depending on the terrain or weather of the task area.

I win or top 3 most of the condor flights and I have a great understanding of how to follow these 4 rules in regular racing tasks.

When it comes to AAT I am demonstrably middle of the pack. https://www.condor.club/comp/besttimes/0/?id=22068 not just in this one but others I've flown.

Looking at analysis and improvement I am a bit lost - when comparing igc files, what am I looking for? Avg speed determines the winner but how do I maximize it? What tools do you use to analyze AAT igc files to determine where you gained/lost (easy with
    regular racing tasks)? What tricks have you learned?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 11 20:02:59 2022
    You want to race AAT better on Condor?

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 11 22:54:45 2022
    On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 9:03:01 PM UTC-7, R wrote:

R
    I think what Davis is getting at, is that there are possibly different tactics/strategies to flying AATs than fixed small traditional turn point tasks. I'd be curious to learn here too. While there are differences between Condor and real life, there
    are many similarities as well, including these tactics/strategies. Practicing in Condor can make you a better and faster pilot in real life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 12 03:29:41 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 1:54:48 AM UTC-5, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:

R
    I think what Davis is getting at, is that there are possibly different tactics/strategies to flying AATs than fixed small traditional turn point tasks. I'd be curious to learn here too. While there are differences between Condor and real life, there
    are many similarities as well, including these tactics/strategies. Practicing in Condor can make you a better and faster pilot in real life.

Has Davis competed in real competitions? The SSA legacy website shows none for Davis, but could be outdated. Never having partaken in Condor, I’ll accept your belief it will improve your racing skills since you have done both…Condor and Real.
    So we don’t hijack Davis thread, why don’t we let Condor racers post their thoughts for Davis. If you want all the secrets JohnG …. I advise you to start your own thread.
    Could be interesting.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 04:21:48 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 6:29:43 AM UTC-5, R wrote:

R
    Has Davis competed in real competitions? The SSA legacy website shows none for Davis, but could be outdated. Never having partaken in Condor, I’ll accept your belief it will improve your racing skills since you have done both…Condor and Real.
    So we don’t hijack Davis thread, why don’t we let Condor racers post their thoughts for Davis. If you want all the secrets JohnG …. I advise you to start your own thread.
    Could be interesting.

R
    I looked at the flights that Davis has made on OLC and I saw his Condor flights, he needs to stick to Condor. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 06:57:39 2022
    No Bob….OLC is good. Seeking information is good.
    Actual racing is best. No other way to advance.
    Davis and JohnG, post when you race. I’ll be able to look at your log, and offer ideas.
    Racing is easy, racing well is hard.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Westbrook@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 07:14:15 2022
    Davis,

AATs are used a lot on tricky days when an assigned task may not be possible. Since they are timed, the goal is to maximize your distance during that time. Generally you want to be as close as possible to being on or slightly over time. If you are under
    time you lose some speed since it is divided by the minimum time. If you are more than 1-2 minutes over time you can start losing speed because of the benefit of the percentage of final glide over the time period. There are of course some things that can
    affect that like a really slow start and maybe the end of the day got significantly better and you can gain some speed by going longer.

We of course try to optimize the speed based on flying in better areas. Maybe a portion of the flight is on a ridge and so you try to extend that if possible. If there is a risk of being under time and maxing out the cylinders, you usually try to go deep
    in the first turn area as long as it isn't completely shut off or risky. A lot of times pilots will turn early because the next area look better and then end up running out of room in the later turns.

There is of course the maximization of the turn point which depends on where you're coming from and where you're going. This is a guess by the pilot looking at the angle and some flight computers can offer guidance to maximize this based on your achieved
    speed. Some general lessons from my experience and given by G Dale, Garret Willat and others. Never go to the last cloud if possible. If you can turn early and have room if you get to the end of a cloud field its better because a lot of times you get to
    that last cloud thinking you'll find something. It's always dead and you turn around and all the clouds behind you have now dried up. You'll usually end up faster on final glide, so do add a few minutes to your expected time because you will usually gain.

Lots of other things I'm sure others can add. There is a bit of science and a bit of guess work involved like anything in soaring. The mroe your do it the better you'll get.

Cheers,

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Westbrook@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 07:01:58 2022
    Dang, Old Bob you're still on here discouraging people? Someone looking to improve and ask questions in the off season. Not all of us are old sky geezers like you that were born with all the knowledge and yet choose not to share it with the community. I
    haven't met Davis but he's the one putting in countless hours to help implement OGN across the US so we can all benefit from seeing gliders while on the ground, whether thats just around the local club, cross-countries or contests.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 09:25:36 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 4:29:43 AM UTC-7, R wrote:

R
    Could be interesting.

R
    Members.ssa.org is the SSA Contest Management site.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 12 10:21:21 2022
    On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 7:57:13 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    All,
    I am looking for some advice/help. I fly a lot of condor racing tasks and all of the books and literature devolve into the following 4 rules:

If you analyze several IGC files it is clear the winner did one or more of these things better than their competitors, so it is very clear what to improve on or what to maximize depending on the terrain or weather of the task area.

I win or top 3 most of the condor flights and I have a great understanding of how to follow these 4 rules in regular racing tasks.

When it comes to AAT I am demonstrably middle of the pack. https://www.condor.club/comp/besttimes/0/?id=22068 not just in this one but others I've flown.

Looking at analysis and improvement I am a bit lost - when comparing igc files, what am I looking for? Avg speed determines the winner but how do I maximize it? What tools do you use to analyze AAT igc files to determine where you gained/lost (easy
    with regular racing tasks)? What tricks have you learned?

Looking at flight logs can be useful in terms of possibly understanding how terrain affected the flight.
    Using a simulator can be useful also, particularly at ridge or mountain sites. Fly the Alps for 50 hours on the sim before buying a tow.
    What neither can provide is the view outside that is used to decide on the many small direction changes, and the big ones, that come from evaluating the sky in real time and feeling the glider respond to those changes. Much of what separates the fast
    from the slow are these small signals that come from feel before the vario even responds. If you cant see what the pilot saw you can't understand many of the decisions.
    One potentially useful tool is video such as provided on YouTube. Pure Flight, Stephan Langer, and Chess in the Air all have many flights shown where one can see the sky and decide where we would go and compare with what these guys do.
    When all is said and done there is no substitute for seat time looking out the window and feeling the glider to learn to go fast.
    FWIW
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 11:24:15 2022
    Come on UH, give them some of your secrets. 😂
    What you write reads like work.
    They think you’re holding out on them.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 12:33:18 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 2:24:17 PM UTC-5, R wrote:

R
    How about "You can't buy experience but you do pay for it".
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to michaelw...@live.com on Sat Nov 12 13:02:41 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 10:02:01 AM UTC-5, michaelw...@live.com wrote:
    Dang, Old Bob you're still on here discouraging people? Someone looking to improve and ask questions in the off season. Not all of us are old sky geezers like you that were born with all the knowledge and yet choose not to share it with the community.
    I haven't met Davis but he's the one putting in countless hours to help implement OGN across the US so we can all benefit from seeing gliders while on the ground, whether thats just around the local club, cross-countries or contests.
    No Michael! I am encouraging Davis to do better in his glider and quit playing video games. Davis told me that there was something that is just didn't understand about OGN in one his pompous replies here on RAS, I was just returning the favor. Old Bob,
    The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Sat Nov 12 14:05:12 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 3:33:20 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 2:24:17 PM UTC-5, R wrote:

R
    How about "You can't buy experience but you do pay for it".
    UH

Yes, a true SoarFu Master you are great one.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Sat Nov 12 14:30:43 2022
    On 11/12/2022 9:25 AM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

R
    Could be interesting.

R

I'm thinking of entering couple contests next year. Because it's been 10+ years since my
    last contest, the tasking is very different, and I feel like I'll almost be starting over.
    I'm thinking Condor flying might be good way to learn the new rules and particularly the
    tasks. Now I just have to find a Condor systme! The EAA group at the airport has a
    simulator set up, so I'll start there. It's not running Condor, but has the nifty
    controls, screens, and strong computer.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 15:28:56 2022
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    The new established order of the day is to race what makes YOU happy. Many pros and Hall of Famers have taken to
    the Sports Class for many reasons….no water, shorter task, simpler task, low pressure/high fun. Ease into it. Now the Nationals Sports Class has become a knife fight, but in a fun way.
    Pick your game, elevate the fun. The great thing about the majority get older, no one remembers past last week.
    Also, not much has change with Regional Contest.
    Make it what you want it to be.
    Good luck!
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 12 17:44:06 2022
    I'm slowly improving from arriving an hour early to half an hour early. I might have done better in the last contest if a wheel hadn't fallen off the trailer and drowned itself in the local river after rotating the tires, costing me five contest days.
    Now have a torque wrench.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Nov 13 05:42:31 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 5:30:53 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:

R
    I think what Davis is getting at, is that there are possibly different tactics/strategies to flying AATs than fixed small traditional turn point tasks. I'd be curious to learn here too. While there are differences between Condor and real life,
    there are many similarities as well, including these tactics/strategies. Practicing in Condor can make you a better and faster pilot in real life.
    Could be interesting.

R
    I'm thinking of entering couple contests next year. Because it's been 10+ years since my
    last contest, the tasking is very different, and I feel like I'll almost be starting over.
    I'm thinking Condor flying might be good way to learn the new rules and particularly the
    tasks. Now I just have to find a Condor systme! The EAA group at the airport has a
    simulator set up, so I'll start there. It's not running Condor, but has the nifty

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Not really so different. Starts and finishes have evolved. At the regional level there is not much change. Find a current mentor and go for it.
    My son came back form 10 years off and did just fine.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 13 08:43:06 2022
    On 11/12/2022 3:28 PM, R wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    The new established order of the day is to race what makes YOU happy. Many pros and Hall of Famers have taken to
    the Sports Class for many reasons….no water, shorter task, simpler task, low pressure/high fun. Ease into it. Now the Nationals Sports Class has become a knife fight, but in a fun way.
    Pick your game, elevate the fun. The great thing about the majority get older, no one remembers past last week.
    Good luck!
    R

Thanks, R. Sport Class may be a good reentry point, given that my 18M ASH26E is not
    competitive in 18M class.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Sun Nov 13 08:47:26 2022
    On 11/13/2022 5:42 AM, Hank Nixon wrote:

R
    I think what Davis is getting at, is that there are possibly different tactics/strategies to flying AATs than fixed small traditional turn point tasks. I'd be curious to learn here too. While there are differences between Condor and real life,
    there are many similarities as well, including these tactics/strategies. Practicing in Condor can make you a better and faster pilot in real life.
    Could be interesting.

R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Not really so different. Starts and finishes have evolved. At the regional level there is not much change. Find a current mentor and go for it.
    My son came back form 10 years off and did just fine.
    UH
    Getting up to speed may be easier than I thought. I'll still pursue Condor for contest
    refresher training, a d as I'd like to determine it's value in transitioning towed pilots
    to motorgliders, and as a refresher for experienced motorglider pilots.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Nov 13 09:31:12 2022
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 10:43:10 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    Good luck!
    R

Thanks, R. Sport Class may be a good reentry point, given that my 18M ASH26E is not
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Hey, Eric. My Nimbus 3 isn't competitive in Open Class, but that doesn't stop me from going to the Nationals and having a blast! I got about 86% of Butler's score with him in Concordia, so I think I did pretty good.

But, as R said, fly for fun and you will have it!

Steve Leonard
    Flying the ex-Moffat/Gimmey Nimbus 3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Steve Leonard on Sun Nov 13 09:44:50 2022
    On 11/13/2022 9:31 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 10:43:10 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    Good luck!
    R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Hey, Eric. My Nimbus 3 isn't competitive in Open Class, but that doesn't stop me from going to the Nationals and having a blast! I got about 86% of Butler's score with him in Concordia, so I think I did pretty good.

But, as R said, fly for fun and you will have it!

Steve Leonard
    Flying the ex-Moffat/Gimmey Nimbus 3

Regionals first :^)

I will note I flew my first Nationals in 1976 in a Ka6e, still using only assigned tasks,
    turnpoint cameras, speed limited starts, and picking our takeoff time. George Moffat beat
    me everyday, which matched my expectations, so it was great fun.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waremark@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 15 14:32:27 2022
    Strange that of all those replies there is only one which discusses ways to get better results from an AAT. Some specifics were mentioned in that:

Go far enough in earlier sectors not to risk running out of distance before the minimum time
    Always fly in a direction which maximises the task distance for the distance flown
    Try to come in just over the minimum time, while not risking coming in early

Another specific suggestion - always try to turn from the top of a climb, that is equivalent to running into a downwind turnpoint high and an upwind turnpoint low.

But the biggest difference between a racing task and an AAT is that success in AAT's is all about planning. You have to fly in a better area at better times than the other guy. This is about predicting what conditions will be like where at different
    times during the contest day and planning your flight accordingly while keeping some options open.

Modern flight computers all offer ways to help fly AAT's - generally making it easy to move planned turn locations around within Assigned Areas and to see predicted arrival times (shown as delta times, times over or under the minimum) and guidance of the
    direction to fly with Assigned Areas to maximise task distance. I bet the guys doing well on Condor AAT's are using flight computers.

You should always be faster on an AAT because you choose where to go.

Hope this helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to waremark on Tue Nov 15 23:44:44 2022
    On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 5:32:29 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
    Strange that of all those replies there is only one which discusses ways to get better results from an AAT. Some specifics were mentioned in that:

Go far enough in earlier sectors not to risk running out of distance before the minimum time
    Always fly in a direction which maximises the task distance for the distance flown
    Try to come in just over the minimum time, while not risking coming in early

Another specific suggestion - always try to turn from the top of a climb, that is equivalent to running into a downwind turnpoint high and an upwind turnpoint low.

But the biggest difference between a racing task and an AAT is that success in AAT's is all about planning. You have to fly in a better area at better times than the other guy. This is about predicting what conditions will be like where at different
    times during the contest day and planning your flight accordingly while keeping some options open.

Modern flight computers all offer ways to help fly AAT's - generally making it easy to move planned turn locations around within Assigned Areas and to see predicted arrival times (shown as delta times, times over or under the minimum) and guidance of
    the direction to fly with Assigned Areas to maximise task distance. I bet the guys doing well on Condor AAT's are using flight computers.

You should always be faster on an AAT because you choose where to go.

Hope this helps.

It will, down the line. My thoughts are to get them racing in the real world before we start throwing math problems at them. They need to decide do they want to sit in a room in their underwear playing with their Condor joystick or fly gliders. I believe
    Condor can help after gaining real race experience by improving task execution. If, for unknown reason, Condor is Davis limits, someone with Condor experience would help the most. The thread drifted for lack of a clear way forward.
    I hope Davis responds to your ideas and they help him improve in the standings.
    Cheers.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 16 06:29:06 2022
    All,

Looking at analysis and improvement I am a bit lost - when comparing igc files, what am I looking for? Avg speed determines the winner but how do I maximize it? What tools do you use to analyze AAT igc files to determine where you gained/lost (easy
    Back to the OP’s question. I tried using my clubs Condor simulator to get ready for Region 8 this year. Going as far as buying the ASW-20 which I fly. I didn’t find it very useful. Getting in the actual airplane and flying cross country was much more
    helpful.

My bit of competition advice is to fly faster then you think you need to. Assuming strong conditions of course. Don’t worry about being in gliding distance of an airport. Just make sure you have a reasonable field for an out. Your friends will come get
    you.

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 16 06:20:42 2022

R
    Could be interesting.

R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Looking forward to seeing you at Region 8 Eric!

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 16 08:10:39 2022
    All,

Hi, "UH" referenced me a bit ago. I have been doing this quite a while, but never won a contest, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I want to get T-shirts made up,
    "XC speed:
    The glide givith
    The thermaling taketh away".

You can't fly fast enough to make up for screwing around in poor thermals on course. A poor thermal to continue is better than landing out, witness a day this year at Newcastle where I had a total time flying of just over 5hrs, but I got around and had
    speed points.
    Fast to the ground is worse (scoring wise) than slow but a full course. Try to limit the slow days. If you land out, do it on a devalued day!

Having a good mental picture of the task area and the current weather is paramount. Look out the frikkin canopy!

I fly a fun task locally (http://gcup.tophatsoaring.org/GCUP/gc_home.php) with people you have seen on contest score sheets.
    Most of us post on Skylines.aero under Wurtsboro SC to see flights. All you need is a browser, no software but you get some stats, flight trace and a profile view of height, height above ground, speed, lift/sink during the flight.

You may be able to import the log into another program.

Currently, on north course which I fly, max speed is about 77MPH in the 2:45 minimum time. The drought here in August was pushing the limits on task area (about 210 miles) versus time allotted.

Real seat time is best, simulator time is better than nothing.
    Try to figure out where you go deep in an area vs. just touching. I started contests with paper maps, cameras, etc. the first Cambridge computer was really cool.....it had a "Go" button when rounding the last Turnooint.

Have fun, go fly, keep learning.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 16 08:16:12 2022
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 8:43:10 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    Good luck!
    R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Eric, consider the Truckee FAI. It is handicapped, so any glider is competitive (well, within reasonable limits, anyway). We also try to do some California Grand Prix tasking, which is more like.... well, racing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to jfitch on Wed Nov 16 09:09:25 2022
    On 11/16/2022 8:16 AM, jfitch wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    Good luck!
    R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Eric, consider the Truckee FAI. It is handicapped, so any glider is competitive (well, within reasonable limits, anyway). We also try to do some California Grand Prix tasking, which is more like.... well, racing.

It's on the list. Does anyone fly from Truckee before May, when TTSA opens?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Charles Longley on Wed Nov 16 09:23:08 2022
    On 11/16/2022 6:20 AM, Charles Longley wrote:

R
    Could be interesting.

R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Looking forward to seeing you at Region 8 Eric!

Charlie
    Hoping to make Methow and R8!
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 16 17:34:14 2022
    On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 9:09:30 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/16/2022 8:16 AM, jfitch wrote:
    Excellent!
    Welcome back.
    Good luck!
    R

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    It's on the list. Does anyone fly from Truckee before May, when TTSA opens? --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Generally in the past no, but now there are a couple of ASH31 based in hangers there. There was some flying after TTSA closed for the season so there may be some in the spring if the day looks good!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andy Blackburn on Thu Jun 8 17:00:35 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 7:18:43 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    I'll note that Davis flew his first real-world contest at Region 9 in a field of 22 pilots including some pretty darn good racing pedigrees. He made the podium with 95% of the winner's points. (We can now all speculate from our armchairs as to whether
    Condor helped or not).

Not too shabby. Congratulations Davis!

I watched some of the action on WeGlide which offered some pretty good excitement since 100% of the pilots were registered. Congrats to the Region 9 team for putting on an excellent show! The day replay feature with all the thermals marked (even if it
    wasn't YOUR thermal) was pretty compelling - and occasionally humbling.

Andy Blackburn
    9B
    On Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 11:44:46 PM UTC-8, R wrote:

My thoughts are to get them racing in the real world before we start throwing math problems at them. They need to decide do they want to sit in a room in their underwear playing with their Condor joystick or fly gliders. I believe Condor can help
    after gaining real race experience by improving task execution.
    If, for unknown reason, Condor is Davis limits, someone with Condor experience would help the most. The thread drifted for lack of a clear way forward.
    Cheers.

R
    Congrats Davis! I have “flown” with Davis on Condor many times. He does great there too and I have no doubt that his Condor off-season exploits have been a great training ground for his flying. Condor is a great way to learn both tactical and
    strategic decision making.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Blackburn@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 16:18:42 2023
    I'll note that Davis flew his first real-world contest at Region 9 in a field of 22 pilots including some pretty darn good racing pedigrees. He made the podium with 95% of the winner's points. (We can now all speculate from our armchairs as to whether
    Condor helped or not).

I watched some of the action on WeGlide which offered some pretty good excitement since 100% of the pilots were registered. Congrats to the Region 9 team for putting on an excellent show! The day replay feature with all the thermals marked (even if it

Andy Blackburn
    9B

My thoughts are to get them racing in the real world before we start throwing math problems at them. They need to decide do they want to sit in a room in their underwear playing with their Condor joystick or fly gliders. I believe Condor can help after
    gaining real race experience by improving task execution.
    If, for unknown reason, Condor is Davis limits, someone with Condor experience would help the most. The thread drifted for lack of a clear way forward.
    Cheers.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Andy Blackburn on Thu Jun 8 16:58:02 2023
    On Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 7:18:43 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    Condor helped or not).

Andy Blackburn
    9B

My thoughts are to get them racing in the real world before we start throwing math problems at them. They need to decide do they want to sit in a room in their underwear playing with their Condor joystick or fly gliders. I believe Condor can help
    after gaining real race experience by improving task execution.
    Cheers.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05